Top Chef Masters

• Please log in to reply

1741 replies to this topic

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2013 @ 11:52 PM

Sang Yoon & Douglas Keane were both guest judges on Hell's Kitchen tonight, so I guess they must be chefs who make the reality rounds.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

Francis will be in some episodes you they showed him in the preview. 

I saw that which reminded me of how he should be on the panel, but perhaps he doesn't have the time. His critiques are smart and eloquent without trying too hard.

Edited by anonymiss, Jul 26, 2013 @ 12:05 AM.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 12:16 AM

Plus he hangs out willingly with Star Jones! Though given how they did the photos am I the only one that hoped the high profile person he was involved with was Julia Child?!

I know.  Talk about a bait and switch.

Mooncake76

Mooncake76

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 12:28 AM

Anyone who lists "dated Star Jones" as a highlight on their resume' deserves not just the first boot, but to be pelted with rotten vegetables and driven from the competition.  GTFO, Herb.

I thought the exact same thing!  People were talking about James Beard awards and other info relevant to their chef careers and then we get to him and it's about who he's dated?  It just made him seem less about food and more about celebrity and he instantly lost credibility for me.  That said, I did think he was very classy in his exit.  

Is it just me or do the judges seem more critical in general this season?  It seemed like they were more complimentary and deferential towards the masters in the past.  So much so that it was hard to gauge the quality of the food since every dish is so wonderful!  I don't like critics who bitch for the sake of bitching, but I do want honest opinions and I've always felt that Gail was great at doing that so I'm happy to see her on judge's panel.  Plus, I love her in general.  

aradia22

aradia22

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 12:48 AM

Plus, Mindy Kaling!

Yeah, I love The Mindy Project. I'm sure she won't get a lot of screen time but it'll be nice to see her.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 2:06 AM

I liked what little we saw of Herb and it was unfortunate he wasn't acclimated to this type of competition. 

ObstinantGirl

ObstinantGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 7:17 AM

People were talking about James Beard awards and other info relevant to their chef careers and then we get to him and it's about who he's dated?  It just made him seem less about food and more about celebrity and he instantly lost credibility for me.  That said, I did think he was very classy in his exit. 

WORD!!!  I was embarrassed for him (and more than a little confused as to why he'd be PROUD of having dated Star Jones?).  But yes, his exit was classy.  

Uggh, Mindy Kaling.  

I wouldn't have been able to do the skydiving.  Kudos to those who did it, but I thought it was a ridiculous part of the challenge.  

The Solution

The Solution

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

Regarding the spoiler photos, there was a season of regular Top Chef when the preview photos/clips revealed the contestants remaining at various stages of the competition - until at least Top 5. It was a major gaffe, and I'm surprised they've done it again.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 9:47 AM

You can bet those scenes will not be shown at the closing credits next week. They always figure out they've goofed and erase them for future shows.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

At first I was really, REALLY down on the "jump out of a plane for an extra hour of cooking time" because I have been so very annoyed with this version of Top Chef. I fail to understand why they think it is okay to take the "Master" Chefs, and dial the difficulty up to 11, when the real enjoyment I get from this version is watching how the super talented people knock it out of the park as opposed to the normal Top Chef contestants failing as much as succeeding.

However, it did seem like making them jump out of a plane both brought them all together very quickly from a camaraderie standpoint (which is a very cool thing about this version), and they pretty much all seem to be really excited that they got a chance to do something that they'll be talking about for a long time.

So I'm okay with it.

My jury is still out on the impact of the sous-chef competition.  I'm thinking that making the chefs both cook the ingredients they gave them and also giving the losers only a table knife might have been a little extreme. The fact is, the losing dishes were probably already at a disadvantage with the ingredients chosen. It would have been enough penalty as is, and it would have been much more interesting for me to see how the Masters turned the same pile of losing ingredients into a winning one, given the same fair chance to do so.

jpgr

jpgr

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

I am happier about Herb's sous going home than Herb, because those ear gauges freak me out. I can't look at them, and I can only imagine in 10 years or so there will be a booming market for plastic surgeons to repair those gaping holes in peoples' droopy ear lobes.

Edited by jpgr, Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:35 AM.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 2:58 PM

I'm left gobsmacked that they actually managed to make this show even worse than the last season.  I'm probably the sole loon still wistfully looking back on the giggly risque banter between Jay Raynor and Kelly Green. 

But while I found last season to be such a steaming hot turd to the point of it being unwatchable, this season they delivered a hotter bigger smellier turd.  Air dropped it.  And it still manages to miss the plate.

The notion that the producers simper on and on about these people being the masters and by my clock, twenty minutes in is the first time one of them touches food?  It would be hilarious in its irony if it wasn't so sad.

But at least they got in the obligatory Curtis Stone looks commentary.  Can't go an episode without that now can we?  Problem is I find him completely lacking in charisma and the only fascination his looks hold for me is the in flesh illustration of what Sam the Eagle unprotected sex on Barbie looks like.

At least I have a free hour now on Wednesdays.

AriAU

AriAU

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

But while I found last season to be such a steaming hot turd to the point of it being unwatchable, this season they delivered a hotter bigger smellier turd.  Air dropped it.  And it still manages to miss the plate.

However, it did seem like making them jump out of a plane both brought them all together very quickly from a camaraderie standpoint (which is a very cool thing about this version), and they pretty much all seem to be really excited that they got a chance to do something that they'll be talking about for a long time.

After 1 episode, I like this season better than last since the chefs have been edited to appear easier going and relaxed and I agree with JTMacc99 that maybe it has something to do with the airplane jump being some kind of bonding experience, along with being James Beard nominees etc.. It also looked like they had more respect for each other than last year, but that may have had a lot to do with editing or the fact that they are only 1 episode in.

The notion that the producers simper on and on about these people being the masters and by my clock, twenty minutes in is the first time one of them touches food?  It would be hilarious in its irony if it wasn't so sad.

I agree that it was silly that they bring these acclaimed chefs on and then not let them really cook. I think they should have started out by letting these masters, I don't know, actually cook something without useless constraints like taking away their knives and having them cook outside and outside of a proper kitchen. . Several of them admit that they hadn't really done a lot of hands on. day-to-day cooking in awhile so why stick them in some windy field to  slice meat or devein shrimp with a butter knife-I wish they would have let these Masters cook in decent conditions for at least one show so that they could show off. They made Hubert Keller cook pasta in a dorm room, but this was far worse for the first show.

Edited by AriAU, Jul 26, 2013 @ 3:25 PM.

Sourire

Sourire

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 6:20 PM

Wicked Tuna: I haven't watched anything listed for Lynn Crawford participating in but I've seen her in something and I remember I didn't like her and I didn't like her here.  I hate loud people.

This! I have actually seen her show on Cooking Channel, Pitchin' In, and she isn't quite as annoying there. On this show I already want to slip her a downer or something. The David Burke comment was funny, but as the episode went on, she grated. We will see if she calms down at all; it may be a function of early nerves.

I was initially annoyed at this season, between the skydiving thing, the online component, etc, but after watching the second sous chef challenge online, I have become much more optimistic. It reminded me very much of the early seasons of Top Chef and it also appears we will be back to quick fire challenges next week, so there should be more cooking (and maybe Voltaggio can FINALLY win one!) Also, I think a couple of the sous are adorable, so there's that...

Regarding Herb and Star Jones, I give him a pass on that comment for a variety of reasons. The actual being with Star Jones is unforgivable (lol), but the comment doesn't bother me in the way it seemed to for many of you. Who knows what the producers asked to prompt him to say that, and since he was gone after 1 show, they have less talking-head material to work with for him than the other chefs. Talking head segments are notorious for being shown out of order or not necessarily in context.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

I'm going to ask that you use spoiler tags for the Battle of the Sous Chefs, since this is a single thread. I know a thread full of spoiler tags is annoying but I'm going to guess based on what I've seen this far that it won't be a huge discussion point. It's a bit of a grey area, spoiler-wise, so I'm making the call. Battle of the Sous Chef = spoiler. Thanks.

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

At least they had a choice with the skydiving. Herb may have been disadvantaged by his sous chef's performance but the timing issues are all on him. I'm not too thrilled that they've made the sous chefs central to the competition. It should be down to the actual cooking. I think I've been ruined for all American food competition shows now after watching Masterchef UK The Professionals.

ITA. The chefs got to chose to jump or not, and bravo on them for being game about it, but they shouldn't have been in that position in the first place.  These are fucking MASTER chefs.  There's enough drama in watching them cook that they don't need to do this silly challenge bullshit. It's like they said, "what ridiculous thing that has nothing to do with cooking can we get them to do this season?"  Wrestling???

Herb did blame his sous, but dude, you didn't have to deep fry the oysters.  That, and how to plate it, was your choice, and you couldn't pull it off.  At least he stepped up and said he knew he should be the one to go home.

I think I'm out for the season.  Battle of the Sous isn't something I'm going to watch, and I hate that a portion of the main show that impacts the competition isn't part of the broadcast. LCK was different because it didn't impact the competition, and all you had to know was that it was going on and someone could play their way back in.  You could skip the whole LCK (which I did) and not feel there were holes in what you were seeing.  I felt that I was missing pieces of the show because I didn't watch 'Battle of the Sous' (BOTS).  I didn't get that the sous had to cook a dish representative of their Master Chef, and I didn't get that the Masters had to use those ingredients until later; and I had to figure that out.

I've been watching TC since season 1 and have watched every season, all-star and Master series. But I'm out. To me, TC:M jumped the shark when they jumped out of that plane. YMMV. 

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

I think when Bryan Voltaggio gives that weird little giggle of his, I just want to jump in his lap.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

. I didn't get that the sous had to cook a dish representative of their Master Chef, and I didn't get that the Masters had to use those ingredients until later; and I had to figure that out

I am pretty sure both of those things were specifically mentioned on the televised show and they even showed a little bit of the Battle, showed who the winners and losers were, so I didn't think you really has to watch the web content unless you wanted more details on the dishes the sous made, based on the structure of the second sous challenge I also imagine you won't be missing out on anything if you don't watch that except for learning a little more about the people who will appearing in some of the talking heads.

Edited by biakbiak, Jul 26, 2013 @ 9:20 PM.

caya

caya

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 9:27 PM

I agree that it was silly that they bring these acclaimed chefs on and then not let them really cook. I think they should have started out by letting these masters, I don't know, actually cook something without useless constraints like taking away their knives and having them cook outside and outside of a proper kitchen. . Several of them admit that they hadn't really done a lot of hands on. day-to-day cooking in awhile so why stick them in some windy field to  slice meat or devein shrimp with a butter knife-I wish they would have let these Masters cook in decent conditions for at least one show so that they could show off. They made Hubert Keller cook pasta in a dorm room, but this was far worse for the first show.

I'm with you.  Of all those damn Bravo products, the only one that I own is a Top Chef cookbook and I've made some pretty good stuff out of it.  I love to see the nitty-gritty of how they cook the food-- it's how I first heard about things like sous vide and some of that molecular stuff (not that use that stuff, but it was neat to see).   The early seasons of Top Chef had a lot of that, and you'd think that the Masters series would only be better.   It was a popular show before they started making people hack at blocks of ice or cut food with butter knives during elimination rounds.  Quickfire, ok, but not the main game.  Not sure why they want to make it so gimmicky.

aradia22

aradia22

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

I don't hate all of the gimmicks. I LOVE the mise en place/skills test especially on regular Top Chef. The palette test is also a good challenge. But it's difficult to think up suitable challenges when you assume that these people can really cook. I think it's easier on something like Masterchef (I just watched a few episodes of the UK version) where they can really test the contestants by giving them a dish and asking them to name the ingredients and then replicate the dish or throwing the contestants into a professional kitchen during the lunch rush.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

Amen, caya.  I am extremely disappointed in the format of this new series.  It's too schizo to watch both the computer and the show.  I know some of the chefs, while others I've never heard of, so the addition of sous chefs to the mix is very confusing for me and my family.  Then, just to add to the fun, some jump and one doesn't, and when they arrive at their so-called kitchen, they have no utensils .It's as if a comedy writer and a suspense writer got together to create a show but couldn't agree, so they put it all in.

Take me back to some of the old seasons where Kelly was the MC, and Curtis was never heard of, where the judges were all well-known critics, the challenges were well thought out and easy to follow and enjoy. IMHO, this one is a Halloween bag filled with a mess of treats that needs sorting out before you can eat anything.  This show encourages me not to watch another season.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, Jul 26, 2013 @ 10:11 PM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

I am extremely disappointed in the format of this new series.  It's too schizo to watch both the computer and the show.

It bothers me that we have to watch the sous chef battle first in order to keep the timeline correct. In fact, it bothers me that the sous battle is only online. I have a big screen TV for a reason, I don't like to watch shows on a small screen (like my computer). They've basically taken a show & split it up between the TV & the web site. It's annoying.

RobertDeSneero

RobertDeSneero

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 2:34 AM

I love it when they have to cook outdoors.  I prefer challenges which make it difficult for chefs to pull a recipe out of their back pocket and make a variation of a dish they've done many times.

wlk68

wlk68

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 7:52 AM

Personally I don't think its that's big a deal to have to go online to watch the sous'. Most people spend a portion of their day surfing, checking Facebook, etc. and the mini-episodes are easy to find on the TC:M web page. It takes three or four extra clicks of the mouse and ten minutes of viewing time. Not the end of the world to my way of thinking but YMMV.

As for the skydiving, I think it was a bonding experience for the masters but I'm hoping it was a one time stunt and that the rest of the episodes settle down into the normal routine and focus on the cooking.  

aradia22

aradia22

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

Personally I don't think its that's big a deal to have to go online to watch the sous'. Most people spend a portion of their day surfing, checking Facebook, etc. and the mini-episodes are easy to find on the TC:M web page. It takes three or four extra clicks of the mouse and ten minutes of viewing time. Not the end of the world to my way of thinking but YMMV.

Not to mention we're discussing all of this on TWoP.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:08 AM

It just made him seem less about food and more about celebrity and he instantly lost credibility for me.  That said, I did think he was very classy in his exit.  

Throwing his sous chef under the ol' Top Chef Bus for choosing oysters was classless.  A good craftsman never blames his tools - or his apprentice.  

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 12:18 PM

In fact, it bothers me that the sous battle is only online. I have a big screen TV for a reason, I don't like to watch shows on a small screen (like my computer).

It's available on demand for me (TimeWarner), but I feel you.  I always prefer to watch on the big screen in HD rather than on the computer.  I'm just glad they haven't decided to make it only available as an app for tablets.

Edited by ratgirlagogo, Jul 27, 2013 @ 12:18 PM.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

Herb's sous chef probably thought he was helping him out by using oysters. Shuck. Make a sauce. Safe for another round. While I didn't have an opinion of him when the show started either way, it's Herb's fault for time management.

IIRC it was Sang who said 3 times at different points of the show that he might fire his sous chef. Not liking him.

The guy who looks like Buffalo Bill Cody, think his name is Neal, he's interesting. Is he the master who had to work with 17 ingredients? I either haven't heard of him or have forgotten him.

Lynn's "loudness" isn't bothering me. Right now, she's the one giving us good commentary about their experiences. "The back of the plane opened up. David Burke was gone." The way she said it was so funny and so human. If I were there, I'd be thinking the same thing. She seems to be having fun and getting into the spirit of the whole thing. David Burke is too. I'm surprised that he jumped since he's a large guy. I don't blame Doug one bit for not jumping. It's funny how he already decided he wasn't jumping and then Curtis announced that Doug's sous chef won him immunity. Loved it. Not sure who that other chef is but she can take her "I give out yellow douche cards" and give herself several. If you're not going to be fun for charity, then go away.

Sourire

Sourire

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

Herb's sous chef probably thought he was helping him out by using oysters. Shuck. Make a sauce. Safe for another round.

Putting my answer in spoiler tags because I'm not sure if this part was only discussed during the online part:

Spoiler

And okay, is it just me or does Neal Fraser look like a chubby version of David Spade? I can't un-see it, and it distracts me every time I see him.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

Where I am the Sous Chef battle is also OnDemand.  Weirdly, the actual episodes aren't yet.  Ah Charter, they make things...interesting and unexpected.  Argh.   

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode and was grateful that my DVR grabbed it for me, because I wasn't aware it was online.   I'm okay with the gimmicky quality of the first episode, they may have different sorts of challenges going forward and the chefs were such incredibly good sports about the concept of jumping out of a plane, I wanted to hug them all.  Even the guy who said, "Hell no!"  and then commended his sous chef "he saved my weenie ass".  

I actually know nothing about Star Jones, so I couldn't judge Herb even if I wanted to on that.  He seemed like a good guy to me.  His exit was extremely classy and about the last thing I'd want to do...really, just about the last thing when it comes to cooking...is shuck oysters in a field, where they were talking about blowing dust and dirt, where an actual tumbleweed went meandering by after skydiving. Adrenaline isn't the stuff of steady, shucking hands.   He had no running water, depending on what sort of knives he normally has with him, he might not have had a proper shucking knife and oh zounds, the nightmare of trying to scrub the darned things beforehand.  He was hosed by the location more than the ingredients and then he couldn't get his oil up to temp. 

Anyway, I usually say that anyone who will show up and put their butt on the line for a charity has my respect.  I now amend that to, "anyone who will show up, put their reputation on the line and follow that up with the risk of a broken limb for charity is one of my personal heroes."  So regardless of what his past taste in women was like, Herb's okay in my book.  They were all classy as could be about some big "WTF" curveballs thrown their way.  

I do recognize some of the chefs.  I'm familiar with Lynn Crawford and really liked her already from Restaurant Makeover.  I like her enthusiasm and she made me laugh my butt off with "David Burke is GONE!"  Plus, she was awfully nice about her sous chef not performing all that well.  Good perspective, good humor and a big laugh.  I like her.  

Last season had some unfortunate aspects for what was a competition for charity, so I'd much rather watch good chefs take what the day brings with good grace and a friendly spirit towards one another.  

Good to see Bryan Voltagio again, he was always my preferred Volt.  

Edited by stillshimpy, Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:31 PM.