Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

• Please log in to reply

3869 replies to this topic

Eclipse255

Eclipse255

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

The smells on the scratch and sniff card included grass, baby smell, bacon, rubber, chocolate, and butter. I was pretty scared to scratch the card and sniff. I was scared that one of the smells would be something gross, but, thankfully, the smells were not bad.

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

I was pretty scared to scratch the card and sniff.

I'm lovin' it!  Only with this show could someone be scared to play along with a scratch n sniff.  I think you pretty much summed up most of our fears with getting our own card (that, and having to buy a magazine).

I agree with those who say that Alana's pageant days are (hopefully) behind her.

Alana did retire from pageants.

Anna is thin because she lives with her grandmother. She doesn't live with the family, she moved out when she got pregnant, I think. I am sure her eating habits away from this bunch are much healthier.

But doesn't their average obesity age start at 24 months or so.  That girl must take exactly after her father.

Alana looks just like Sugar Bear with that awkward smile.

She is a miniature Sugar Bear.  They are identical.  I just wish she didn't call him Sugar Bear and would call him daddy.  I don't know why, it seems kind of disrespectful to me, like calling your parent by their name.  I did laugh when Sugar Bear did his cup-a-fart in front of the wrestlers, I don't know why.  Maybe because he usually stays out of that kind of business.

The whole head-bobbing thing Alana does must stop.

I know, I get embarrassed for her when she does that.

WTF is wrong with Anna? Why was she arguing with that wrestler?

I don't know what's wrong with her, but as far as her arguing with the wrestler, like Clark Griswold likes to say, "it's all part of the experience honey".  It's just b.s. smack talking.  She has a crush on his rival, so they were talking smack for the show.

I didn't notice Alana's new boobs either.  I was too busy looking at her perfectly round face.  She reminds me of a little girl who lived across the street from me about my son's age who was "chubby" and really blonde like that and was in a training bra in like the 2nd grade and got her period the summer she turned 8.  But her mom wasn't like June.  Her mom was stick thin, but pretty much lived on a diet of Mountain Dew and Misty 120's.

You can tell that Sugarbear really is going through some health issues because he looked weak and just beyond tired.

I don't think he's gotten good news from the doctors.

While reading, found out that Mama June and SB aren't legally married, WHY?  Plus she reiterated she's set up trust funds for the girls (including baby Kaitlyn) and they don't live beyond their means.

I about busted a gut though when they showed the previews and showed Alana in that formal dress for her parents wedding that was pink and orange and huge on the bottom.  She was jumping up and down and they played this BOINK BOINK BOINK sound.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

I think Anna has lived with her grandmother most of her life.  I remember reading during season one that June had to pay her to be there for filming.  She apparently only shows up for filming and then goes back to the woman who has really brought her up. 

That seemed to me to be an hour of completely staged garbage that was tough to get through.  I need to only watch when folding clothes or something like that. 

Viewership this week: 

9 PM  2.837 M and 1.0 rating.

9:30 PM  2.918 M and 1.0 rating.

The slide seems to have begun.

NJRach

NJRach

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 6:48 PM

I'm disappointed that the whole show seemed to be staged.  It was sort of obvious, but then the butter slip and slide pretty much confirmed it.  I wish they would just film them doing everyday stuff instead of writing scripts.  It's actually nice to see a family that's interacting with each other and having fun, instead of the crazy parental interaction I see in my town - intense dance and swimming competitions, travel sports, racing around dropping kids at psychiatrists, music lessons and tutoring.

When I saw Anna dancing at the wrestling match, all I could think of is that she'll be following in her mother's footsteps and having a second child out of wedlock, with a different father.

I wonder about the third daughter, Lauren(?).  She seems a bit off at times. 

I wonder what's in the food supply down there.  I can't believe how developed Lauren is for a twelve year old, and that Alana is in need of a bra.

When they showed the floorplan of the house, it finally solved the mystery of why it appears June sleeps on a bed in front of a fireplace, with two doors into her room.  It must be a sitting room she sleeps in.  After they showed the floorplan, I wondered if it was a bad idea - giving any pervert the location of the girl's bedrooms.  I think I would be putting bars on their windows, just in case.

Edited by NJRach, Jul 18, 2013 @ 6:52 PM.

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 8:12 PM

Plus she reiterated she's set up trust funds for the girls (including baby Kaitlyn) and they don't live beyond their means.

From what we can see, they most definitely don't live beyond their means. After I set up trust funds for the girls, the first thing I would do, at the very minimum, would be to add at least one bedroom and one bathroom to keep everyone out of mine.

DesiLu

DesiLu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

ShaNaeNae: I just wish she didn't call him Sugar Bear and would call him daddy. I don't know why, it seems kind of disrespectful to me, like calling your parent by their name.

I love it! I don't think it's disrespectful at all. My kids, husband and I all called my dad "Old Fart" and he loved it.
He said he much preferred it to dad or grandpa. Anybody can be called daddy, I love that she has a special name for him. I think it's sweet.

I don't like how Alana starts talking to the camera in a normal way and then starts what she seems to think is her cute behavior and starts talking nonsense.
Somebody needs to tell her it's not cute.

I still love these guys! They live their lives and don't give a shit what we think.

Edited by DesiLu, Jul 18, 2013 @ 8:24 PM.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

I watched the clip that was within the article about Alana retiring from pageants and it was from Toddlers and Tiaras. I'd never seen that show before. The way Alana talked when she was on that show makes me wonder if she was late in developing her voice and motor skills? Granted, she's more than made that up with her constant jumping and rattling off whatever is on her mind. My 3 year old nephew talks better than she did on that show when she was 6. And he lives in the rural south, too.

While reading, found out that Mama June and SB aren't legally married, WHY?

She said several times she is never getting married in the future. Which I don't understand either, what with their income from the show it can't be for reasons of receiving public assistance. Maybe it's a tax thing? I really have no idea.

I hope he's not seriously ill. The fainting spells could be anything, but someone I know is having the same symptoms and they are set for open heart surgery soon. Blockages or something. I like him the best of anyone on the show. Maybe because he doesn't do stupid stuff and he's quiet. And he clearly loves his family.

Persnickety13

Persnickety13

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

Yeah, I totally can't believe they aired SB saying he has a chubby for his chubby.  Ew and ew.

There are no words to express my overwhelming desire to retch reading that.  

I hadn't watched this episode yet.  I had it on DVR for later viewing, but Comcast decided to power surge my DVR and killed it last night, wiped out the recordings.

In light of what I'm reading here, I'm going to assume it was an act of God that wiped out *this* recording to spare my gastrointestinal system.

I love it! I don't think it's disrespectful at all. My kids, husband and I all called my dad "Old Fart" and he loved it. 

A co-worker of mine, a single mom with an adorable toddler, was dating this GINORMOUS tough-looking professional athlete named Phillip.

The toddler couldn't manage saying Phillip and instead dubbed him "Fifi."

It was the cutest thing ever, to see that adorable little girl calling this huge football player "Fifi," and the best part was, he embraced it.  The guy was a total keeper for his interactions with that little girl.

I'm all for loving (or fun) nicknames for loved ones.  My daughter calls her grandpa "Ya Old Fart" most of the time, and he just beams from ear to ear (and he's 80).

Edited by Persnickety13, Jul 18, 2013 @ 10:09 PM.

silverspoons

silverspoons

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 2:41 AM

I finally watched. Is June really legally blind? Was she born with a vision problem or does she have a progressive disease? I also thought I saw her drive in at least one episode last season.

Count me in as someone that would like to see Alana called her dad, daddy at least once in awhile. It is fine to have cute nicknames but maybe on his birthday, she could have made him a card that said. "World's best dad". the poor guy has been sick and seems to be working hard and railroaded by 5 women, might deserve a little praise as a dad.

The girls are sure developing fast. I paused the screen when it said age 12 and my daughter who is almost 11 and her friends said there is no way that girl is 12.

As much as Mama June brags about saving the money, she is wasting it on phones. From what I understand they rent the house(please correct me if I am wrong), if the girls didn't have phones the extra $200-300 a month might get June and Sugar Bear a real bedroom with a door and a 2nd bathroom or maybe the girls could have there own beds? Cells phone come after necessities and 7 is way to young for a phone. People might think I'm wrong but I got my teen a phone for the first time this year because they are taking college classes in high school and will be transported between 2 campuses.

Edited by silverspoons, Jul 19, 2013 @ 2:43 AM.

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 8:01 AM

The fainting spells could be anything

I first read that as farting spells which on this show would be normal which is probably why I read it wrong.

Love the Fifi story, Persnickety13

It made me laugh when June sent Jessica into the house to do a chore, Jessica stomped off muttering under her breath and June cheerfully bellowed,"Thank you and have a great day!"  My mother would have done the same.

I bet that butter was a pain in the ass to clean up.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 8:15 AM

I wonder what's in the food supply down there.  I can't believe how developed Lauren is for a twelve year old, and that Alana is in need of a bra.

I don't know if it has anything to do with living in the south. They just eat like crap. The only vegetable I've seen them eat is corn, and that's not even considered a vegetable. Their idea of "fruit" is a tray of cranberry sauce w/ extra sugar. I lived in the south for many years, and have never known anyone to eat as badly as that. They're all (except Anna and her baby) extremely overweight, which I'm pretty sure can contribute to early development.

Edited by ghoulina, Jul 19, 2013 @ 8:16 AM.

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 8:56 AM

The road kill pig...just nasty. The main problem I have with eating road kill is, unless you're the one who killed it or just witnessed it die, you don't know how long it's been there. I'm pretty open minded about most things but eating food off the side of the road? No thank you!

Plus, them pig parts looked like they were still tough which means she didn't cook it long enough. For someone who is so large, I'm often surprised about how much she lacks in the cooking skills department. That travesty that they called Thanksgiving's dinner was all kinds of hot messes. She's the worst cook I've ever seen and I'm in the South.

As far as the kids go, I think it's a form of abuse really. Lord knows I'm not a health nut and we do indulge in junk food. However, I can't wrap my brain around the meals that she feeds these children. I wouldn't be surprised to see diabetes in someone's future. Looking at all that fat flapping around on Pumpkin's stomach made me sad.

Edited by taalsi, Jul 19, 2013 @ 9:54 AM.

olivia1

olivia1

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

I've lived in the South my whole life and I wouldn't eat the meals June serves her family. I think that road kill was a male and it would probably be pretty tough and gamy tasting if you don't know what you're doing. I've never eaten road kill or wild pig so I don't really know. 

What I do know is that if I made homemade pork and beans I would use a spoon to stir them. Why in the world they have to put their hands down in the food to mix it up is beyond me. It's not bread dough. 

June needs to get glasses. She's too blind to be taking care of Baby Kaitlyn. 

With all their faults for some reason I still like this family and I'll keep watching. I agree with others here that the producers are setting up situations like the indoor butter slip and slide. Kids as old as they are would know their mom would throw a fit and make them clean it up besides wasting all that "good butter" for making sketti. 

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

And the layout of that house would piss me off! The girls can't go in and out of their own rooms or the only bathroom, without stomping through Sugar Bear and June's bedroom? Oh, HELL no.

It looked to me like there were two entrances to the bathroom, one off the main hall and one from the master.  I'm guessing cutting through the master might be sometimes faster?

I'm hoping they have a McMansion somewhere and just live in that shithole for filming.   I would prefer the show if they did do a Beverly Hillbillies type thing with them. 

I missed the first half but I'm all for cell phones.  Those kids are working, making this show.  I hope they're getting a lot more than just cell phones. 

I can see if June had Anna as a teen, June's mother raising Anna.  I kind of figure if Anna wasn't pregnant last season, she never would've been invited on the show as a regular.

I still love these guys! They live their lives and don't give a shit what we think.

Me too.  I think they not only 'live their lives' they play up the stereotypes and make a living off of it, which makes me like them more.  It's like, 'the viewers are the idiots for being amused but hey if it gets my family off the dole...' 

Most of it is as fake as pro wrestling, I think.  I imagine TLC is behind most of the shenanigans. 

I don't fault June for not wanting to marry.  Not all of us believe in it. 

ShaNaeNae

ShaNaeNae

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

I don't fault June for not wanting to marry.  Not all of us believe in it.  

Oh no, I definitely don't fault her either.  I was just surprised after the previewed it as the big storyline this season, putting on a huge wedding, SB proposing...all that for a commitment ceremony?  I remember seeing headlines, "Honey Boo Boo's Parents Finally Made it Legal".  Then I just read yesterday they didn't really get married.

I have no idea why I find it cute when June has her phone in her chubby hands and puts it like a centimeter from her eyes.  I don't know why I find that adorable.  She's talking to the camera, it goes off, she pulls it from her pocket, then looks at it so she can actually read it.

I think my reason I don't like Alana calling SB that is because that's what everyone calls him.  If it was just an exclusive nickname between her and him, I'd probably find it more special.

That must have been a typo on Pumpkin's age.  There's no way she's 12.  I've gotta go look that up.

I've got a dumb roadkill question.  If most wild animals have rabies, you don't catch it from eating a previous rabid animal?  Or do they test it before slicing?

I still can't believe Johnny Depp watches this.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 11:19 AM

I remember seeing headlines, "Honey Boo Boo's Parents Finally Made it Legal".  Then I just read yesterday they didn't really get married.

Oh, I totally misunderstood.  Yeah, that is weird.  TLC probably begged her to stage a redneck wedding and that's as far as she'd go.  Good for her. 

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

Plus, them pig parts looked like they were still tough which means she didn't cook it long enough.

Mmmmhmmm. Same with her Thanksgiving turkey. That thing did NOT look fully cooked, to me.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 2:06 PM

Wow. Just wow. I watched a little bit and found it so disturbing. Maybe I should go back and give it another shot.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

That must have been a typo on Pumpkin's age.  There's no way she's 12.  I've gotta go look that up.

I'm pretty sure she is 12. And Jessica ("Chubbs") is 15.

taalsi

taalsi

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

I've got a dumb roadkill question.  If most wild animals have rabies, you don't catch it from eating a previous rabid animal?  Or do they test it before slicing?

From what I know, you cannot catch rabies by eating an infected animal. You have to be be bitten.  As far as your second question goes, if it were possible, do you really think people who eat dead food off the road would be that concerned about diseases? I'm guessing no.

blanchowens

blanchowens

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 2:59 PM

Picked up from the internets:

A Person May Receive Rabies Through Non-Bite Exposure

If a person is scratched by an infected animal, or if an open wound is contaminated with infected saliva, that person may become infected with rabies. The reason that scratches can spread rabies is because animals often lick their claws, and saliva from these animals is capable of conveying the rabies virus. A rare but possible way for rabies to be spread is if an animal's saliva enters a person's body via mucous membranes, such as those found in the eyes, nose or throat.

Rabies May be Transmitted by One Person to Another

As with any communicable disease, rabies can be spread from one person to another through bites or other methods of contamination. Fortunately, person-to-person transmissions rarely occur. Examples of these types of transmission usually take place within a laboratory setting or hospital setting. For example, if a person who is infected with rabies is a donor during blood transfusion or an organ transplant, infection may occur in the transplant recipient. Generally, people being treated for rabies infection do not pose a risk to the people who are treating them, as long as precautions--such as those outlined by the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee--are observed.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

I don't care how secure a person is or how much they are loved, calling a 15 year old female (or male, for that matter) "Chubbs" just screams, "wrong" to me on many levels. (Of course, I was called "Frizz" so what can I say.) [/bitter] :)

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

I don't care how secure a person is or how much they are loved, calling a 15 year old female (or male, for that matter) "Chubbs" just screams, "wrong" to me on many levels.

I completely agree. They have this thing where it's like if they just make the weight thing endearing it doesn't matter? I think June is doing those girls a great disservice. No, appearance isn't everything. But she is reinforcing that the way they are is normal or "cute", and so they're not going to be greatly moved to do something about it. They're all going to have horrible health problems if this continues.

HelloPatti

HelloPatti

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

I don't care how secure a person is or how much they are loved, calling a 15 year old female (or male, for that matter) "Chubbs" just screams, "wrong" to me on many levels. (Of course, I was called "Frizz" so what can I say.) [/bitter] :)

And I was called "Pootie" for years (for those not from the South, "pooting" is farting, although mine was supposed to be a bad pronounciation of "pretty" as in "you're so pootie/pretty")

I was massively relieved when I smelled #1 on my card and it was baby powderish smelling. I don't know how you could synthesize a fart and put the smell on a card but then again, with Cup-A-Fart, I would not be surprised by anything. 

I've seen those amateur wrestling matches spring up all over the place in the South. I once had to turn my car around on a Sat afternoon in Ruskin, (central) Florida because they had erected a ring in the middle of the parking lot at an auto parts store and guys came with their own personas/masks/gimmicks - I arrived just in time to see them hitting each other with cookie sheets which make a hell of a lot of noise and people were yelling and cheering. 

Joymarie

Joymarie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 4:42 PM

I don't care how secure a person is or how much they are loved, calling a 15 year old female (or male, for that matter) "Chubbs" just screams, "wrong" to me on many levels.

In the first season, she said she doesn't fit in at school because of her weight and tried to go on a diet.  So, yeah, I'm sure she isn't happy that the kids at school now know her nickname at home is Chubbs.  I find that sad. 

As far as the kids go, I think it's a form of abuse really. Lord knows I'm not a health nut and we do indulge in junk food. However, I can't wrap my brain around the meals that she feeds these children. I wouldn't be surprised to see diabetes in someone's future. Looking at all that fat flapping around on Pumpkin's stomach made me sad.

I agree.  Abuse is a strong word, but June is a terrible, terrible mother for feeding these kids so badly.  If she were smoking in front of them, people would be appalled, but she's feeding them horribly unhealthy food and people find her endearing because they love each other.  It boggles my mind.  It's one thing that they were overweight from eating crap from the used food auction during the first season, but now that they're making real money, June should have improved their diets.  Instead, they all getting fatter. 

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 4:53 PM

I feel bad for those kids and I would like to think I would make some hard food choices for the whole family in June's shoes, but it's not always so simple.  Sure, they probably have the money now to make some healthier choices but June doesn't know shit about health or cooking, from what I can tell.  And those kids have been living off junk their whole lives.  Produce probably tastes like crap to them.  It's hard to suddenly do a 180 on their diet and expect miracles. 

Not to mention, is TLC going to be signing them up for future seasons if June's making salads instead of sketti and there aren't bellies hanging out all over the place?  She probably figures, 'wait for the HBB furor to pass and then we can use our new resources to make some positive changes, slowly'. 

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

Sadly I don't think June ever plans to change.  She seems to me to be quite happy with herself as she is.  I don't think that part is much of an act.

girlinjeans

girlinjeans

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 5:48 PM

I think Alana calls her father "Sugarbear" because she just thinks of him as the resident male in the house. It doesn't seem like a father-daughter relationship to me.
Also, when an animal is butchered, it is immediately hung and drained of blood. That nasty roadkill is full of coagulated blood. No wonder it is so tough - it is full of thickened, hardened old blood. Yech.

Edited by girlinjeans, Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:01 PM.

DT3

DT3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:13 PM

She seems to me to be quite happy with herself as she is.  I don't think that part is much of an act.

She's lost over 100 lbs., she says just because she's so busy now.  I do think most very obese people just feel like it's too much to take on and they don't have it in them.  Heck, I feel that way about my 20 extra lbs.!

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

Okay, kinda disgusted that I actually researched this, but you could theoretically contract rabies if, when handling that yummy fresh roadkill, you had contact between the animal's saliva or brain/nervous tissue (where the virus is concentrated) and an open sore or a mucous membrane.

Okay, going to go lose my dinner now...