Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

• Please log in to reply

3869 replies to this topic

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

This comment will send me straight to hell but, if they were gonna give a child a spinoff couldn't they have found one that was atleast cute?

Seriously! Not even cute, really; couldn't they have picked one who was interesting? Intelligent? Endearing in any way? Alana is just a dull, obnoxious little girl. I can think of four pageant kids from these shows off the top of my head who would make for interesting reality shows, who have great personalities, nice families, and in some instances, enough crazy to add flavor. (The girls I'm thinking of are MaKenzie, Jacklynn, Jayne and Paisley. Mak is a notorious fan favorite with a truly unique character; Jacklynn's family is slightly off the wall in a way that doesn't make you point at laugh at them like Honey Boo Boo's family; Jayne is startlingly intelligent and hilarious; and Paisley is adorable and endearing, with a slightly crazy but self-aware mom who is pretty damn determined to get her daughter "discovered." Of course, with the exception of Paisley's mom, the rest of them seem too smart to think giving a little kid a reality show is in any way a good idea.)

I can't imagine anyone watching this show for any reason other than to point and laugh. It's just depressing, that this is what's on television - on a channel called The Learning Channel, no less!

neptune42

neptune42

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Every time I see that commercial, I picture Mickie Woods watching it and taking a shot of whiskey. She marketed Eden and herself aggressively, dressed up nicely for the media, and ended up on LOGO. June and Alana made one trashy appearance on Toddlers & Tiaras, and now Alana is the face of T&T for TLC, with a TLC show.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Micki must be beyond rage over how this is turning out. I wonder how well Alana will do and how long this show will last. It seems Micki and Eden have vanished from LOGO already.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

I don't know WHY, but for some reason 5 close friends and family members have called to alert me this show is on the air and the only thing I've ever said in my life about Honey Boo Boo Child is that she makes me sad and her mom has too many chins. What does that say about what my friends and family think of me?

I watched the previews. Wallowing in the mud like a pig? Sounds about right...

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Saw the trailer for the new show And There Are No Words. I'll probably watch at least part of the first episode, but I'm going to feel guilty for doing so. I wonder if the child will ever be intelligible enough to not require subtitles. I'm assuming that the Mom (is there a dad?) must be desperate for money. I can't imagine any other reason to humiliate your child and other family members on national television. Oooh, wait, that ship has sailed....

ETA, hate to snark on the kid, but no, I don't think she's attractive at all, in looks or personality.

Edited by chailey, Jul 20, 2012 @ 2:55 PM.

akp124

akp124

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

They're probably doing the show without getting paid for it. I mean...fame is really what they want.

And is it really a sixteen & pregnant/extreme couponing/hoarders/t&t all mooshed into one?

peaceknit

peaceknit

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

Meh, I'll pass on this one. This uninteresting, homely, obese, family is just too trashy to waste my time on. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Why, TLC??

Edited by peaceknit, Jul 20, 2012 @ 7:09 PM.

WestCar20

WestCar20

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

I finally saw the commercials and I think I will have to watch and hate myself for it the following morning. I couoldn't help laughing.

oldbabe

oldbabe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

And is it really a sixteen & pregnant/extreme couponing/hoarders/t&t all mooshed into one?

TLC no doubt believes it's struck reality gold. Thanks, TLC, for adding the ignorant Southern redneck stereotype to your freak show lineup.

GingerCat69

GingerCat69

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

I don't watch T&T so, I didn't know who Honey Boo Boo was until my sister sent me some YouTube links. No way in hell will I watch this show. Honey Boo Boo and her clan can go crawl back to whatever hill or holler (redneck speak for hollow) they came from and stay there...away from my tv screen.

patroo

patroo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Welcome to the White Trash Network, where standards are lower than a snake's belly in a wagon track.

peaceknit

peaceknit

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

They don't call TLC "The Loony Caucasian" channel for nothing!

amyuilani

amyuilani

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

I would be mortified to be one of the kids in this family (actually, I would be mortified anyway, but the TV show is just icing on the free-with-a-coupon cake). The clip of all of them doing the belly squash thing is horrifying, and will haunt them forever. Not to mention, that woman is ugly and I cannot stand to look at her. Needless to say I'll be avoiding this one.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Saw the commercial and I will watch one episode, just on the tiny chance that these people are more self aware than they are being portrayed and they are actually funny (this is all based on that one daughter commenting on them having teeth).

beden

beden

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

Originally TLC stood for The Learning Channel. Really.

Cripes.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

ETA, hate to snark on the kid, but no, I don't think she's attractive at all, in looks or personality.

To be honest, what I am curious about is if the HoneyBooBoo nonsense is something the family indulges in when not at pageants. Otherwise yeah, the kid wasn't that attractive or personable when on Toddlers and Tiaras but the family seems willing to buy into TLC's two bits for a gander mentality so who knows?

This does seem like TLC's version of Duck Dynasty, and thats a show thats only amusing in small quantities.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

Originally TLC stood for The Learning Channel. Really.

Cripes.

I remember the days when it was documentaries instead of "reality" tv. It USED to be The Learning Channel. Lots of cool and interesting docs with a few episodes of Trading Spaces. Now it's all crap and garbage that I still watch, but instead of learning things, I'm killing brain cells. Why do I do it? Why? Of course I'll watch at least one episode of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, if I'm home to catch it. If not, I'll probably look for it online because I must know WHY this child/family has a show.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

O.M.G. I didn't watch the show, but I was intrigued by the name 'Honey Boo Boo.' Shoot me, I think it's cute.

So I looked at some YouTube clips and my jaw dropped open. WTF is this stuff? Who lets their child behave like that? You just know she got most of what she says from her mother. Most 6 year olds are talking about their dolls - she's talking about "A dollar make me holla." Huh? She sounds like a ghetto slut.

I don't know if I could handle a whole TV show of this stuff (the idea of toddlers and beauty pageants turns me off), but I can see popping in here to see how this train wreck is progressing.

Wow. Stuff like this is enough to make one wonder if we are witnessing the fall of the Republic.

TelevisionMary

TelevisionMary

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

I just saw the commercial for the first time yesterday. I could not believe it! TLC means The Learning Channel. What are we learning? Did TLC used to be legitimate learning programs? Now it seems they are bringing in snark-worthy shows. I admit I will watch it for the snark value until I can't take it anymore. Funny how this is the 2nd Toddler and Tiara spin off, next to that one with Logo. I can't stand watching that one show with that loud mouth mother screaming all the time. She is too negative. This mother seems like a hillbilly trash for sure. I don't know how long I will find this show amusing, even to snark on.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

Here she comes, and here I go. If there ever was a reason to move, now, out of the country this show is about as good as any.

This show embodies everything loathsome about Southern stereotypes and seems to relish every belly shaking, mud diving, hair scratching, teeth missing, accent drawling, butt crack showing, coupon clipping, and piglet pageant princess moments possible.

TLC officially has no shame left, none.

oldbabe

oldbabe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

This show embodies everything loathsome about Southern stereotypes and seems to relish every belly shaking, mud diving, hair scratching, teeth missing, accent drawling, butt crack showing, coupon clipping, and piglet pageant princess moments possible.

It doesn't matter how much progress the South has made - Research Triangle Park in Raleigh, NC, with the highest concentration of Ph.D.'s -- thriving big cities with major league teams and cultural activities like Atlanta and Charlotte -- what the rest of the country sees is the white trash antics of Swamp people, Lizard Lick Towing, American Gypsies, Duck Dynasty, and now Honey Boo Boo.

"A dolla makes me holla"

Teaching a 6 year-old a quote from a hooker? I guess that's the BooBoo family's version of career training.

baska

baska

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

The title of this mess comes across more like a warning.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 6:22 AM

because I must know WHY this child/family has a show.

Because they're a freak show & the network knows that the curious will tune in to watch the freak show, just like the Gypsy Weddings.

laissezfaire

laissezfaire

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

It doesn't matter how much progress the South has made - Research Triangle Park in Raleigh, NC, with the highest concentration of Ph.D.'s -- thriving big cities with major league teams and cultural activities like Atlanta and Charlotte -- what the rest of the country sees is the white trash antics of Swamp people, Lizard Lick Towing, American Gypsies, Duck Dynasty, and now Honey Boo Boo.

Thank you. Lately, it seems that the only thing The "Learning" Channel seems to succeed in teaching anyone is that it is ok to indulge in unfair stereotypes. They do a great disservice to parts of America that people never have and probably never will visit. They love to do it to the South, and it seems their latest target it Italian Americans/Jersey folks. I live in Birmingham, Alabama. There is a thriving medical community here, as well as wonderful libraries, parks, and a great symphony. Who knew, right? Previously, I lived in Louisiana. I still have no clue where they drag out these backwoods coonasses. Louisiana is a small state, but so diverse. There is so much interesting culture to explore, but I guess it doesn't make good television. TLC has to compete with VH1 for the channel that has gone the farthest off the rails from its original programming.

No, I will not be watching Honey Boo Boo. Take away the awful antics, and you are left with a maladjusted child, a mom who resembles the Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock, and fame whore siblings.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

No, I will not be watching Honey Boo Boo. Take away the awful antics, and you are left with a maladjusted child, a mom who resembles the Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock, and fame whore siblings.

Holy jeebus, but I wish I'd come up with that comparison for mom. SPOT. ON.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

LOL. I call it Totally Looney Caucasians! It ceased being The Learning Channel around the time they figured out that Little People, Sextuplets and Large Family Fundies bring the ratings!

Cuppiediva

Cuppiediva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 4:08 AM

also:
TLC=Totally Ludicrous Crap.
Fuck.

watchinginRI

watchinginRI

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 6:03 AM

There are so many possibilities.

I thought it was the Tumor-Loving Channel!

ms imaginary

ms imaginary

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

I have never seen Toddlers and Tiaras because the whole concept makes my skin crawl, but I just saw an ad for this show. I would rather have my eyes gouged out with plastic sporks than to watch this program. Just knowing that it will be on makes me weep -- not because my taste is particularly refined, I simply can't stand the idea that this poor child will be held up as an object of ridicule, encouraged to be even more buffoonish for ratings and $$ for her family, and will probably end up another statistic on the list of broken former child "stars." I hope Paul Petersen will still be around to try to help her.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

baska:

The title of this mess comes across more like a warning.

Thanks for the laugh -- and it's funny because it's true.

When I first saw this topic on the forums, I had no idea what a "Honey Boo Boo" might be. Then the ads started assaulting me during What Not to Wear, and I mourned the loss of my cluelessness.