Perception: A Beautiful Criminal Mind

• Please log in to reply

311 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Starting tomorrow, July 9th on TNT:

In Perception, Eric McCormack plays Dr. Daniel Pierce, an eccentric neuroscience professor with paranoid schizophrenia who is recruited by the FBI to help solve complex cases. Pierce has an intimate knowledge of human behavior and a masterful understanding of the way the mind works. He also has an uncanny ability to see patterns and look past people's conscious emotions to see what lies beneath.

Pierce's mind may be brilliant, but it's also damaged. He struggles with hallucinations and paranoid delusions brought on by his schizophrenia. Oddly, Daniel considers some of his hallucinations to be a gift. They occasionally allow him to make connections that his conscious mind canít yet process. At other times, the hallucinations become Daniel's greatest curse, leading him to behave in irrational, potentially dangerous ways.

Daniel's mental condition and offbeat manner make it difficult for him to achieve the close friendships and intimate relationships he craves. Heís in his element when solving an intricate puzzle or a coded message. But in unfamiliar situations, he can quickly become overwhelmed, and only his favorite music and a crossword puzzle have the power to make things right again.

Rachael Leigh Cook co-stars as FBI agent Kate Moretti, Pierceís former student who asks him to consult on certain cases. Unlike her colleagues, Kate is willing to look past Daniel's peculiarities. Also in Daniel's life is Max Lewicki (Arjay Smith), who serves as his teaching assistant. His primary job is to keep Pierce in line and on task, whether that means grading midterms or laying out Pierce's wardrobe for the day. And Natalie Vincent (Kelly Rowan) is Daniel's best friend and every bit his intellectual equal. In addition, award-winning actor LeVar Burton (Roots, Star Trek: The Next Generation) will play a recurring role as Paul Haley, a dean at the university and Pierceís friend.

Another damaged genius, although this one is clinically diagnosed. This seems to be in TNT's wheelhouse, procedural with quirky protagonist. Always glad to see Rachael Leigh Cook, hope this works out for her.

lvmom

lvmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

No one else anticipating this? I'm hoping for more of a Monk mixed with The Mentalist feel than something more House like.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 12:51 AM

I've been waiting on this for about a year it seems like. I was looking up what Rachel Leigh Cook was doing to see if she'd be available for any more Psych episodes and discovered this show. Then it was months before I saw any ads for it. I hope it's good but I worry it'll be too much "zoom detail" or "weird imagine profiler". I'm willing to give it a chance though. I've enjoyed TNT's originals lately (minus Dallas which I have no interest in.)

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

It'll be nice to see Mr. McCormick stretch his drama muscles. Plus Levar Burton, Rachel Leigh Cook, and Arjay Smith are great to have around too!

Here's hoping that this is a really good hour of tv!

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

TV Guide article. I'm very much looking forward to this because of Eric McCormack. It'll make a nice pairing with The Closer in the previous hour. But this description......

"He's a mash-up of Monk, House, Patrick Jane and Sherlock Holmes, not to mention cousin to schizophrenic genius John Nash in the Oscar-winning A Beautiful Mind"

.....seems a bit much. Did they miss anyone?????

lvmom

lvmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

Well, I guess I got half my wish,lol. A little Monk/Jane mix. Love Sherlock Holmes, the current BBC version, and I did watch House despite how depressing it got at the end. Here's hoping there is less angst, more story. Glad to see there are a few more people anticipating it besides me.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

I'm looking forward to this show, too. I hope it lives up to my expectation, but just watching Eric McCormack looking all scruffy would probably be worth an hour of my time.

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

I'm definitely looking forward to it. Have always liked EM and am excited to see him in this drama. Here's hoping!

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

Funny, for me, Eric McCormick being in this makes me not want to watch it. I don't think he's much of an actor, and it sounds like this role requires a lot.

mash-up of Monk, House, Patrick Jane and Sherlock Holmes

An obsessive compulsive drug addict psychic super detective with a touch of schizo, I can't see EM pulling that off.

SanDiego

SanDiego

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

I really wanted to like this show, but I think I liked it better when Monk did it. I was so happy when RLC left Psych, and now I know why, as she is terribly mis-cast here. She is totally unbelievable as an FBI agent, even in tv land.
Is the blonde lady real or an halucination?
EM is still hot.
Really, show, you had to bash Bush in the first episode?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Is the blonde lady real or an halucination?

Well, that answers that. I was hoping Kelly Rowan was real, though.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

I enjoyed the episode. It was well-paced. I liked seeing Jeremy Ratchford again!

I had my suspicions about Kelly Rowland's character from when she was cross-legged on his office couch. Don't know why, exactly.

Why wasn't anyone else with Daniel when he was to apologize to the student? That seemed contrived, especially as Daniel is supposed to be so valuable to the university, yet not enough to have anyone- like say, the dean- make sure Daniel doesn't make matters worse.

The cases intersected in a neat way; hopefully the future cases are as cool and twisty.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

I liked it. I'm not sure about Rachel Leigh Cook (I didn't care for her on Psych) but enjoyed EM, AS, and LB. I'm hoping there will be more Levar in the future since the only time I see him anymore is in ST:TNG reruns. IMDB has Jonathan Scarfe in several episodes (yay!) but doesn't even list Jeremy Ratchford in the pilot. It'll be too bad if he's only on this one time because I like him quite a bit, too.

I didn't figure his friend would be real. Maybe she was at one time? Or maybe he starting manifesting symptons in grad school and she was his first hallucination? Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about her.

Really, show, you had to bash Bush in the first episode?

They made fun of Clinton at the end, too.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

I expected this to be Monk 2.0, and it was different than that in many respects. EM is an actor with lots of range. His characterization of Pierce isn't too narrow.

Going to give this a try for a few episodes.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I'm very much looking forward to this because of Eric McCormack.

I've loved him since the days of Sexy Col. Clay Mosby. Corrupt king pin, whore master and all round bad cow-boy.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

Is Vera from Cold Case on this show? I liked it however can we have a character with mental illness who is fine with taking medication? That trope is getting old especially since in real life medication does help control those symptoms.

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

I had my suspicions about Kelly Rowland's character from when she was cross-legged on his office couch. Don't know why, exactly.

Because she gave off vibes of "I Dream of Jeannie"? I figured her to be a figment of his imagination the first time I saw her.

That said, I liked this show. The weak link, as a poster said upthread, was the female FBI agent. She would have been more believable as a kindergarten teacher.

I'll definitely be back for more.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

Would like to add I loved seeing LeVar Burton again. He's such a fine actor. Great part for him on this show.

Solea

Solea

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

.....seems a bit much. Did they miss anyone?????

Don't forget Charlie Eppes. Wall writing, pattern seeing, Charlie-vision.

Nice to see Eric McCormack and Kelly Rowan in the same show again.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 2:01 AM

After reading the Monk-Mentalist-yada yada yada hype, I was worried I would hate the show. I liked Monk its first few seasons, but grew oh so tired when Adrian could not move an inch past his OCD.

I therefore was relieved that I enjoyed tonight's debut better than I thought I would. Now to hope the writers learned from the decline of Monk its last few seasons.

Yes, kathyk2, that is "Vera"! Glad to see him, although I have to wonder about his agent's letting him do another show where he plays an identical character. It's almost like he was hired away from Philly.

And yea Levar Burton!

I actually think the character has far more in common with the Reid character on Criminal Minds than with any of the people the showrunners compared him to. They even used the same visual "technique" to show him puzzling out the anagrams.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 5:15 AM

I wanted to like this, but I don't think I can deal with his imaginary people every episode.

Skycatcher

Skycatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 6:59 AM

The weak link, as a poster said upthread, was the female FBI agent. She would have been more believable as a kindergarten teacher.

Yes! I haven't seen enough to judge her acting, but her very appearance was distracting to me, not at all "FBI". It took me right out of the action every time she was onscreen.

lvmom

lvmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

I did find the FBI agents youthful looks distracting, but Pierce sold me on their partnership/friendship when he said he didn't want her to know he was seeing things. It came across as quite vulnerable, and I could see an eventual pairing, as she didn't seem to be bothered by his quirks and she also was telegraphed rather loudly in the end as a lonely cat person. I think once we get past the pilot that I'll get used to RLC as an agent and be able just settle into a nice, quirky show. I also feel like the way Eric McCormack delivers his lines is perfect for a mentally ill but brilliant man. He tends to stutter and pause a lot. It works here,like the stuttering and pausing is Pierce's way of thinking what he says through somewhat, trying to seem more normal than he is.

Edited by lvmom, Jul 10, 2012 @ 8:01 AM.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

I enjoyed the show a great deal (although, yes, Hollywood, Bush Bashing is getting old. Find a new boogeyman, 'kay?) I agree that the FBI agent is probably the weakest part of the show, but she didn't bother me enough to not want to come back next week.

Also? More Lavar Burton! He's aged very well. :-)

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

I thought it was just okay so I'll probably watch again if nothing else is on. The FBI agent bugs and I rolled my eyes when she jumped from a second floor fire escape with no ill effects (not even a shockwave through her legs). She looks like she just graduated from high school and I really, really hope they never go the romantic route with her and Pierce.

And yeah, I pegged blonde lady as an imaginary friend right away.

SanDiego

SanDiego

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

This show also reminds me of the Jeff Goldblum show Raines, which I loved.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

I wanted to like this, but aside from Special Agent Josie Pussycat jumping from a two-story building(!?!) I had to turn away when the Federal Agent began to investigate a local murder. I've had my fill of protagonists "who care more than anyone else." Yeah, all those other people working behind you are soulless robots and you're the only person who cares about justice. If I could stomach that crap I'd still be watching Fairly Legal.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

I thought the episode ended better than it started. I like the scenes at the college more than the others. I found EM's voice very annoying. It was good seeing Kelly Rowan again. I hope she's a regular. There are already too many police procedural shows. I gave up on Unforgettable and Person of Interest this year, and I liked both shows. If they spend more time at the college, I'll like this more. That would make it different from all those other shows.

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

[Y]es, Hollywood, Bush Bashing is getting old. Find a new boogeyman, 'kay?

ITA -- in fairness, though, at the end we saw the aphasic guy laughing at Clinton's finger-wagging Lewinsky denial.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Don't forget Charlie Eppes. Wall writing, pattern seeing, Charlie-vision.

That's it! I knew I had a feeling of deja vu, it's Numbers-esque! I don't like making snap judgements but I think I prefer Charlie. I wanted to like this so much that I think I set myself up for disappointment. The FBI lite agent didn't help either. I may try it again. I'm not sure yet.