R&B Divas

• Please log in to reply

316 replies to this topic

charmed1

charmed1

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 5:24 AM

Nicci looked a hot mess in that red lace dress, very unflattering.

Oh, but from the looks of the previews, she's got another one in purple. If we're lucky, maybe we can get one in every color!

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 8:10 AM

Her social awkwardness is painful to see. At least she and Michael can bond with Latocha and Rocky.

I laughed at the look Latocha gave her when she said 'well, I don't have any friends'. KeKe has issues. As funny as she is, her personality can be very off-putting.

I don't like Angie on this. Unbelievably talented woman, but I couldn't with her last night. I do feel like she was being extremely condescending and dismissive of Syleena and KeKe. It wasn't what she was saying, it was how.

tommie

tommie

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:10 PM

I liked Keke in the last episode, but this episode just made me dislike her again. She was so damn disrespectful towards Angie. I had hoped she had worked out her "issues" between the seasons. 

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

I don't like Angie on this. Unbelievably talented woman, but I couldn't with her last night. I do feel like she was being extremely condescending and dismissive of Syleena and KeKe. It wasn't what she was saying, it was how.

I agree with this.  I hated the way she let Nicci voice her opinion of Syleena, but when Syleena tried to tell her side she was immediately shut down by Angie.  Let the girl speak, damn!  I wanted to hear Syleena’s side of explaining why Nicci is flat out lying about her mushing Monifah.  I’m also tired of Monifah’s outbursts of repeating the same thing over and over and never making a point.  Just tell Nicci to stay out of yours and Syleena’s business.  If Syleena really did mush Monifah, obviously it wasn’t anything too serious since she and Syleena seem to be pretty good friends and have moved on.  Nicci is just a shit stirrer and can’t stand anyone who puts her in her place, which Syleena did.  But Angie, sitting at the head of the table like Don Corlione and talking people down was just too much.  Keke is very much cray cray, but I would have probably had the same feelings of being spoken down to as she did.  I think the cancer in the whole group is Nicci.  She has the nerve to call Syleena violent, but she’s the one always taking it there with her aggressive body movements and forceful way of making someone listen to her.  Nicci is just an all around unpleasant hose beast!

americangreed13

americangreed13

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 11:56 PM

Angie Stone: Don't like her presence. I think if someone is trying to make peace it should be done differently. She had some good points however she did come across as condescending. While Angie has been in the industry for over 20 years I think that Faith could've asked someone who was a little more grounded and had a little more respect for the women. I think there are more powerful and successful women in the industry who could've offered better advice. I just don't see her as peace maker. I hated how Angie interrupted Syleena. She allowed Nicci to say her peace but not Syleena. I think it's because Nicci kissed her ass and chased her down offering an unwarranted apology. Nicci only apologized because Angie was stirring the pot which Nicci was loving. Not trying to be funny but ain't nobody checkin' for Angie Stone's music.

Keke: She can be a bit much but I think she comes from a good place. I have to agree with KeKe on how Angie was speaking to her.

Syleena: I would not have accepted that half ass apology from Nicci at all. So Syleena is beefing with you because she's insecure and young? Girl bye!

Nicci: First get you a new hair stylist please! That weave is atrocious! It irks me to no end when she does not take accountability for her actions. Even when someone tells her about herself she still doesn't' get it. I still think that Nicci is bitter and angry about something. It reflects in the way she communicates with the women and her resentment towards the industry. Instead of offering advice to people about seeking counseling she should do the same.

LaTosha: I really don't like her. She's too judgmental. Instead of allowing Nicci to tell her about the women she should make up in her own mind how she feels about them. I would be looking at Nicci side ways if she to me that she had a beef with all of these women yet she's still hanging with them.

love danielle

love danielle

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 1:56 AM

Seeing Nicci Gilbert's actions on this show makes me see why Brownstone did not and will never work out. Her attitude is atrocious. I have spoken with Kina who was in the second incarnation of Brownstone and she said that Nicci is extremely difficult to work with. It's a shame because I think she is talented. But she is ugly on the inside.

Edited by love danielle, May 14, 2013 @ 4:18 PM.

announcergirl

announcergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

Serious talk. Keke is beautiful, she has gorgeous features. She can sing her ass off. She has a huge personality, and could be so much fun to have around. But, she is so volatile. Unstable. I do think therapy can help some people, but for her therapy may not be the answer. This is work that she is going to have to do for herself. She is going to have to find a way to stop, think, and reevaluate situations and control herself. She has too much potential to have it be wasted because people find her difficult to work with. The misery that she causes herself, her emotional turmoil is of her own doing. I can't stand watching it.

Alas, I do enjoy the show because they are all so talented. I want them to do well. I agree with other posters who said that Angie is just not the right person to come into this situation to try to fix it. She was not there through it all. I think I would be a bit resentful too, if she just showed up and tried to dictate. That is what I felt she was doing. Think about it...the women in that group have been in the business a long time also. Angie has no real vested interest in the group, so why should she get the "END ALL, BE ALL" say? I would feel some kinda way, too...

Oh, one last thing regarding KeKe. Could you imagine being her friend? You'd have to always tiptoe around her, watching what you said and how you said it. It would be exhausting. Even with her other redeeming qualities, it would get tired real quick.

Edited by announcergirl, May 14, 2013 @ 3:00 PM.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Serious talk. Keke is beautiful, she has gorgeous features. She can sing her ass off. She has a huge personality, and could be so much fun to have around. But, she is so volatile. Unstable. I do think therapy can help some people, but for her therapy may not be the answer. This is work that she is going to have to do for herself. She is going to have to find a way to stop, think, and reevaluate situations and control herself. She has too much potential to have it be wasted because people find her difficult to work with. The misery that she causes herself, her emotional turmoil is of her own doing. I can't stand watching

I agree with you about Keke.  She also needs to stop making those ugly distorted faces.  She reminds me of Phaedra Parks on RHOA with those faces.  Why would you continuously try to make yourself look ugly?  I don’t think Keke or Nicci should be on tour together.  They both drain all of the joy out of the room when they enter.  It’s ridiculous the way they carry on when you consider the gifts God has given them.  Watch out, because it can be snatched away quicker than a thief in the night.  Keke especially needs to change her demeanor because to me she has the best voice of the whole group.  If she handled herself better, she could get real close to filling Whitney’s shoes voicewise.  Too bad she’s so insecure and emotionally wounded.  I don’t see how Michael puts up with her.

announcergirl

announcergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2013 @ 6:14 PM

Swankie, yes, the faces are over the top. Maybe that's her attempt at being real? She does have the Phaedra tendencies. Oooooh, miss Phaedra and her faces though. You know, it would be awesome if they could really pull this tour off.

They, unfortunately, remind me of Mary Mary. That one sister in that group just is, just just HORRIBLE! I can't even watch that show. Her attitude is so bad. The pregnant one. You know the one, yes?

R & B Divas has at least two too many divas. I'm calling Selena, Nicci, and now Angie. Ok, that's three. I am hoping Latocha (I'm killing some names) doesn't turn out to be one with a bad attitude, but why oh why, do I see that coming. Am I the only one?

charmed1

charmed1

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:31 AM

Why is this show called R&B Divas Atlanta now? Is TV-1 planning to do spin offs in other cities? Because if so, I want a Super R&B Divas with Patti LaBelle, Gladys Knight, Diana Ross and Millie Jackson. Now THAT? I would watch as if my life depended on it.

announcergirl

announcergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:35 AM

charmed1 - that would be awesome! You think women of that status and longevity would do it though? Didn't Patti have her own tv show, or cooking show for a little bit? I can't recall. My question to add on to yours is, why are all the shows now seeming to go the Atlanta route? I've been there many times, and frankly, it was not that exciting. No offense to ATLiens. But, every woman IS NOT a Georgia Peach or even a peach pit. Jus' sayin'

charmed1

charmed1

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

Oh yeah...it was called Living it up with Patti LaBelle or something. It wasn't very good. Just Patti going around trying on furs and eating...lol.

I doubt they'd do a show like this considering Ms. Patti hates Diana Ross with a passion, but a girl can dream.

I'm not sure why they chose Atlanta. Maybe because Faith lives there? At one time, it was the hot spot for black music in the 90's with LA&Babyface, Jermaine Dupri and Dallas Austin all being headquartered there. Maybe they're trying to rekindle that creative energy?

announcergirl

announcergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:53 AM

charmed1 - Patti was always eating!!! And, cooking peach cobbler. LOL! Oh, see now you got me thinking...a show with Patti and Diana, oh my goodness. Wait, Diana with anybody might be a treat. She seems to be a major Diva and I don't mean the good one.

Yeah, ATL was a major hot spot. It does have the nightlife and the scenery. It looks like a major metropolis with its sky scrapers and huge homes. Maybe I was to hard on the ATL. I think I'm just jealous that I don't live there. What do they call people who transplant to the area since I can't be a Peach?

I'm still shocked that Jermaine has not rebuilt So So Def though. It would seem to be pretty easy.

About the show: I am crazy about Monifah. Who knew she was so, so, tender? Her music was a little nasty, wasn't it? It came out with like the 357 girls (From Hammer's crew) and Adina Howard and 'nem right? Ooooh, I'm ageing myself. They should replace Nicci and Selena with some other divas. Ideas of who though?

Liquid6

Liquid6

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 8:15 AM

R&B Divas LA

announcergirl

announcergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 8:39 AM

Liquid6 - Thanks for the info nugget! This looks like it will be good. She wimped out on not saying what side she is on though. I want to see real.

nique

nique

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

Some of their voices make me miss 90s R&B.

announcergirl

announcergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:58 PM

I have a lot of comments to make, but I am just now getting to my dvr episode of the ladies performing at the Trumpet Awards for Chaka Khan. Good googly moogly. First, can we just give a special award to Monifah's purple shoes! Okaaay. Next, KeKe killed "Tell Me Something Good." Let me say again how KeKe killed it. Mo killed "Through the Fire." And, again how Mo killed it. But LaTocha messed up "Sweet Thing." For real. She tried to over sing it and messed up the end.   

Ok, so nique, yes, the voices from the 90s: Regina Belle, Cherrelle (80s?), the one married to Kenny Lattimore - you know, Chante Moore?, and I can keep going.

Edited by announcergirl, May 16, 2013 @ 8:15 AM.

americangreed13

americangreed13

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:05 PM

LaTosha: What exactly happened in Xscape? She keeps bringing up the experience. I think the past is something that one can learn from but should never dwell on. I can understand her being cautious just because of the dynamics of the group and it really doesn’t help that the main “shit stirrer” Nikki added her two cents in. I say get to know the ladies individually and make the decision to move forward.

Faith: I love her. I think she is so grounded and down to earth. I didn’t know that Little C’s was that young when he first came out.

Keke: SMH. Home girl is so talented however she’s standing in her own way. I don’t think it’s a smart business move to allow Michael to manage her. He’s inexperienced and the relationship between Keke and himself is already rocky. She is very combative and argumentative which is interesting considering that he’s trying to help advance her career. The mere fact that he believes in her and is willing to go out of his way to ensure she gets the success that she rightfully deserves says a lot. He has no experience but he is showing his love and support for his wife as a husband should. KeKe should appreciate that about him. It’s already too much for him which is why he’s seeking other management for her. I wish she wouldn’t be so defensive all the time. She has no filter and boundaries are non-existent with KeKe. I was so appalled when she burped during a business meeting. I can understand Keke’s reservations regarding the tour. The women can’t get along and tours are stressful already as it is. I will say that I loved her long pony tail in her TH. KeKe absolutely lights up when she’s on stage! When got up there with Monifah she was a completely different person. I didn’t know that she could play the drums. That girl is talented.

Angie Stone: I’m sorry was she included in the tour? This woman acts like she is the beginning and the end. Ugh! Like her word is bond and that’s that. Angie said something that was very profound. She said that it’s not uncommon for booking agents to “bait” meaning put information out there regarding tours and see if people will “bite”. I believe that is what may have happened. I don’t think that Salecia was being malicious at all.

Monifah: I absolutely hated the purple hair! I’m glad that she’s coming into her own as an artist. I loved the show case! It was great!

Nicci: She can leave my screen at any point and time. The tour would do just fine without her. I know certain people are hoping that she doesn’t appear on the tour. I’m still confused as to what her reason is for being on the show. She complained, bitched, screamed and yelled about how much she hates the music industry. So now she wants to do a tour? Funny how she still didn’t disclose the details of her “tour”. She sure did throw Salecia under the bus and kept that usual negative, spiteful behavior up. Ok so you won’t go on tour with Salecia then what’s up with your tour connect?

Syleena: I didn’t know Bangladesh was that short. He had some good advice. I agree with him in regards to putting the tour together, going over logistics, and money from there seeing who’s down to go and who’s not. If the managers are responsible for negotiating pay then why is everyone concerned about Salecia’s involvement? Of course she’s going to want to negotiate a nice sum for her client which is her sister however everyone else’s manager can follow suit if this is protocol.

announcergirl

announcergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

I have to finish the episode. I kept flipping between shows.

KeKe was embarrassing at that meeting. I couldn't bear to watch her humiliate herself like that. She thought she was being funny or cute. She was not. I would not manage her. Nor, be married to her. Her husband is co-dependent and pities her. I'm sure he's trying to figure out how to get out without her acting crazy (like stabbing him)or without major drama. WHICH THERE IS NO WAY TO REALLY AVOID WITH HER PERSONALITY.

She is sabotaging herself - on purpose, maybe. Subconsciously - definitely.

Hey, where is spellcheck on here?

Oh, and again, I say we are in for something with this Latocha chic. Unh, unh. She is going to be a bitch. I can feel it in the air <insert Phil Collins music>

Faith has a calming spirit, but she stands for nothing. She is just beige. Does that make sense?

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 8:39 AM

I think all of Keke’s histrionics; the burping, making faces, hair-trigger temper tantrums, etc. are a way to mask her true personality.  I think she’s afraid to just be her true self for fear of being rejected in my opinion.  Notice how when Angie Stone was addressing the whole group about being cattie and whatnot, Keke immediately chimes in that she feels Angie is pointing out her specifically, and when Angie disputes that fact, Keke goes on and on about her having a syndrome and that’s how she feels because of her syndrome, etc.  She wants people to believe she has some psychosomatic condition in order to excuse her behavior which I’m sure she’s aware people think is bizarre.  She also has anger issues with her husband.  Whenever he speaks, she gets this look on her face like if she had a knife, she would carve his eyeballs out.  He must really have a lot of patience to put up with that kind of treatment.  I would have kicked her crazy ass to the curb a long time ago.     

announcergirl

announcergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 8:50 AM

swankie, I can see truth in what you said. She also came across as very insecure when she was in rehearsal and purposely messed the song up that she was supposed to perform with Avant. I saw that as her trying to escape the judgement of people listening. I mean, when you perform you are turned on. It is an act. The rehearsal was too real for her, maybe. She's gotta stop though. I'd love to have a sit down with her. Like, is she also trying to mask the pretty. Maybe she's been told she thinks she's pretty or she's stuck up because she is pretty, and so she does things to make herself look "normal." To be one with the "regular" people. Does that make sense? I'd love to talk to her. Seriously.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

Oh, and again, I say we are in for something with this Latocha chic. Unh, unh. She is going to be a bitch. I can feel it in the air <insert Phil Collins music>

Oh, I agree with you wholeheartedly on this announcergirl.  LaTocha seems very guarded which to me means she’s not showing her true self.  Was she the first one to quit Xscape?  She was very quick to say she wasn’t the reason they broke up which probably means she had a lot to do with it.  I also agree with a poster up thread that she messed up on the song she did for the Chaka Khan tribute.  LaTocha’s not very good with controlling her voice when she riffs.  If you listen to Keke, every note is on point when she riffs, it’s uncanny.  LaTocha does not possess this gift and was close to being off key when she did it.  Don’t get me wrong, she has a nice voice, but she’s just not as good as the others in my opinion.

Edited by swankie, May 16, 2013 @ 9:47 AM.

announcergirl

announcergirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

Swankie, I was one of the ones who said that about Latocha's rendition. It was horrendous. KeKe and Monifah did a wonderful job of their songs for Chaka. I was moved...
What other shows are you watching?

luckyroll3

luckyroll3

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

Oh, I agree with you wholeheartedly on this announcergirl.  LaTocha seems very guarded which to me means she’s not showing her true self.  Was she the first one to quit Xscape?  She was very quick to say she wasn’t the reason they broke up which probably means she had a lot to do with it.

I'm sure she had something to do with it.  Whenever anyone brings up Xscape to Kandi Burress or Tiny, they both mention each other, but never say anything about the other two, Latocha and I believe it was Latocha's sister.  Anytime a reunion is mentioned, Kandi always makes a "hell naw!" face that I'm sure is thrown in their direction.

I fell asleep watching Living Single and woke up to this train wreck.  I only watched a few episodes last season, but they are truly a mess.

R&B Divas LA

So Dawn, formerly of En Vogue and Lucy Pearl, will be on this?  Oh boy is she a piece of work; should be interesting!

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

Whenever anyone brings up Xscape to Kandi Burress or Tiny, they both mention each other, but never say anything about the other two, Latocha and I believe it was Latocha's sister.

Kandi mentioned on one of those Bravo bio shows where they feature the Housewives’ lives that Xscape broke up because one of the girls wanted a solo career.  That's funny, because if you look them up on Wikipedia, aside from the girl who quit before they even got their big break, Kandi is the only one mentioned having left to pursue a solo career.  I think each member of that group would blame the other for their demise.  Just like Angie Stone said, it does seem that girl groups just can't get along.  I can't think of any that are still together, or were together before they were just too old to perform.  They always break up.  The only way I see this tour taking place if is they can manage to get rid of Nicci.  I don’t think Keke would cause any problems aside from being late all the time.

@announcergirl,  I watch all of the Housewives shows except for Mob Wives, they are just way too violent, Top Chef and Project Runway when they are on and I was really hoping another season of Hollywood Wives would be coming on. 

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

I was preparing my "Free Michael" signs as this episode went on.  Why on earth did you get bullied into being your wife's manager?  You can barely be her husband.  I wonder if Michael either had a save-a-ho complex or if he's not right in the head himself, because he had to have seen Keke's brokenness from a mile away.  She needs a new manager, more therapy, and some social training!

Faith doesn't really want to deal with the Diva's drama; that's why she brought Angie Stone into the mix.  She doesn't have the gravitas to get the gals to work together.  But getting Nicci out of the mix would help.  She is a first class shit stirrer!  She got Faith all riled up about the e-blast and was going in on Syleena's sister without even knowing if she was involved in it!  

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

I've been watching this show since season 1.  During that season, Faith promised that the show would not devolve into a version of Hip-Hop/Basketball Wives, etc madness.  They were declared divas and thus above that.

However, this season seems to be on a crash course with that kind of madness manufactured or not.  

Nicci is my least favorite of all.  She wants to blame everyone else.  At some point, no boo-boo, it's not everyone else - it's YOU.  Not sure why everything out of your mouth has to be how someone else has done another person wrong...when both parties are long past it.  Why are you still around then?  Also, your clothing line looks like that crap She by Sherri....so guess who you parallel on the "Real Housewives".  Uh huh, right.

Angie has been in the business the longest, so I get her "rise above" attitude.  Given her successes, I'll give her props.

KeKe is just clearly immature.  At 31, she acts like a teenage without home training.  Keep in mind, her husband is YOUNGER than her.  But even with all of that crazy going on, I think she's fairly direct in admitting her crazy.  After a number of shows though, it's clear why her career is stalled despite her clear talent.  There is only so much people will put up with regarding kooky, crazy and silly behavior.  She seems to hit the limits fairly quickly and can grate on the nerves in 0 to 60 seconds.

Faith seems to play both sides of the fence when its convenient to her.  That fake anger over the "email blast" was silly.

Syleena seems cool yet direct.  

Monifah comes off the nicest of the bunch.  Would like to see her get back on track.

LaTocha (sp) doesn't seem to have a personality just yet.  But haven't heard pleasant things about her from the past so that remains to be seen.

love danielle

love danielle

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 8:22 PM

I am so upset. I read early reports that Blu Cantrell was going to be in the cast of R&B Divas LA. I wonder what happened.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 9:07 PM

Nicci is such an awful person. Why does she seem to have no reason to exist other than to spew venom?

I think KeKe is probably a nice person, but she is so damaged she can't believe that p anyone who knows the real her will like her. This appears to be true with Michael as well, something I believe he mentioned last season as well.

I am really feeling both Faith and Monifah. Too bad seems to be sidelining herself in favor of the divisive Angie.

I like Syleena, but when we really see no defense offered for her by the ladies, I wonder if Nicci is completely in the wrong. It could however just be editing.

Something about LaTocha seems slightly off, but only time will tell.

Sadly, I too see this show becoming yet another example of reality show trainwrecks.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 5:30 AM

While no one has come to Syleena's defense, none of the divas has come up against her. Even Keke tried to defuse e-blast gate by saying that Syleena's sister probably had nothing to do with it. Editing only shows what the divas say; Nicci has a lot to say against Syleena and her people. Syleena hasn't said anything against Nicci other than when she gets out of pocket with her. Where there's smoke...