Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

Thanks, Linky Loo.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

Who was the young guy (was his name Zack?) that beat out the Asian female chef? He looks really familiar, like he was on some other chef show.

JoannKB

JoannKB

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

Why would the owners hire the guy from last night's show when he literally walked out during service?

I thought he didn't actually walk out. It was kind of edited to make it look that way, but I thought he really went across the street to tend the food he had on the mesquite grill, right? Anne sought him out there and led him back to the line, but it wasn't like he left service to have a drink and a smoke. He left to do something else he needed to do that happened to be in a different location. At least that was my impression.

Delirium64

Delirium64

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

It was making me nuts why Khristiann looked so familiar. She was on "The Real L-Word."

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

My bitch fest soapbox...I hate to be a bitch, but I was kinda rooting against the restaurant owner. Really, a White guy owning a Mexican restaurant? I know it happens, but that's no excuse. Food is not just something to give you energy, food is culture. There are far too many Mexican-Americans struggling to find the funding to represent their culture through food by opening their own restaurants, but this dude gets to co-opt Mexican culture and reduce it to a "resort experience" (his words, not mine) to line his pockets? I hope this restaurant is part of the 50% that fail.

Then he calls it Mucho Ultima. That name sounds as racist-ish as Taco Bell's chihuahua mascot. I hear Mucho Ultima and think of some redneck trying to order food in fake Spanish. Just no all around.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 6:59 AM

My bitch fest soapbox...I hate to be a bitch, but I was kinda rooting against the restaurant owner. Really, a White guy owning a Mexican restaurant? I know it happens, but that's no excuse. Food is not just something to give you energy, food is culture. There are far too many Mexican-Americans struggling to find the funding to represent their culture through food by opening their own restaurants, but this dude gets to co-opt Mexican culture and reduce it to a "resort experience" (his words, not mine) to line his pockets? I hope this restaurant is part of the 50% that fail.

Then he calls it Mucho Ultima. That name sounds as racist-ish as Taco Bell's chihuahua mascot. I hear Mucho Ultima and think of some redneck trying to order food in fake Spanish. Just no all around.

I don't mind the white guy owning the Mexican restaurant half has much as the fact that the "best candidates" they found for Chef... weren't Mexican. Well ONE was, but she sure got ditched fast (and who's to say she was the best possible candidate among Mexicans who COULD have been cast on the show? She may have deserved to go, but what about all the Mexican Chefs who DIDN'T get called up by The Food Network?)

That's not to say only Mexicans can cook Mexican food, or are even always the best at it. I mean Rick Bayless wouldn't have a career otherwise. But this show really breezed over the whole issue, and its not like Manhattan Beach, Calif. doesn't have access to like... thousands of easily accessible Mexican Chefs. But among the people they DID get? Only ONE of the three others even had a specialization in Mexican food, and even he "only was into it in the last few years".

The hell?

Edited by WileyCoyote, Jul 3, 2012 @ 7:02 AM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

It was making me nuts why Khristiann looked so familiar. She was on "The Real L-Word."

That was Khristiann. Francine's girlfriend, right? I didn't get a good read on her on that show because she was barely on it but I liked her here. I was pulling for her but she kind of fell apart at the end. Like everyone else I couldn't understand that because she started out so organized. Angelica Huston and her table seemed very understanding though, which was nice of them because not everybody is going to be like that.

Ann was a little more active this episode. She kind of had to be though with the chefs she had. I liked this episode a lot better as a result.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I sometimes wonder if the Food Network pays certain hosts a flat fee, no matter how many shows they star on. Probably not, but I can't figure out any oither reason why FN insists on forcing a limiited number of hosts on us for show after show. Even if I was a fan of a particular "personality, I wouldn't necessarily want to see them on mutiple shows.

And for me, a little of both Guy Fieri and Anne Burrell goes a long way.

I think that FN does see Anne Burrell as their female version of Guy Fieri, in terms of the over-the-top personality.If you're not a fan they can come across as abrasive and annoying. My preference would be for someone with a more laid back personality, who doesn't always need to make the show about them.

I tink that Adam Gertler would've been a better choice to host this show. I realize that he may not be everyone's cup of tea other, but at least he's not overexposed, and I don' think he has the ego issues that Anne Burrell does.

I usually think that restaurants that participate on reality shows must be failing and in desparate need of publicity. However, as a former Venice resident, I know that James Beach is very successful, and has been around for many years in a tough market in which most restaurants fail.. So in this case it must've been a case of feeding the egos of the owners to get on national TV.

And I never hear any mention of how long restaurants owners are actually required to keep the winners in their employment.

Edited by Northwester, Jul 4, 2012 @ 2:54 PM.

gunnerlove

gunnerlove

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

I only saw a few minutes of this show, and that was an accident. I've seen the promos and knew I wasn't into the concept. I really used to like Anne Burrell, and I was rooting for her all the way on Chopped. I enjoy "Worst Cooks" and think she does a good job on that show. Was hoping she would do better on NIC, but wasn't holding out much hope after she couldn't win on Chopped All Stars.

Its just that I am getting tired of seeing her on everything, as well. And I could live the rest of my life without hearing that her reputation is on the line. Give. me. a. break.

FN is becoming like the local community theater that has a small stable of people willing to go into show after show and suddenly it all becomes the same old thing. I could well understand having a good cooking show and expanding that chef into another show that was on maybe once a week. But the endless, monotonous reruns and the ever redos of shows that have been done already are grating on my last nerve.

I see Bobby is redoing Restaurant Impossible.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

My bitch fest soapbox...I hate to be a bitch, but I was kinda rooting against the restaurant owner. Really, a White guy owning a Mexican restaurant?

White people can't own ethnic restaurants? And because of that you want his business to fail? Wow. Does that mean all Olive Gardens that aren't Italian owned should fail? What about Panda Express? Popeyes? Do you have to be from New Orleans to own one?

sunsheyen

sunsheyen

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

White people can't own ethnic restaurants? And because of that you want his business to fail? Wow. Does that mean all Olive Gardens that aren't Italian owned should fail? What about Panda Express? Popeyes? Do you have to be from New Orleans to own one?

I was with you until you proved the point by listing bottom of the barrel institutions that bastardize their chosen "ethnic" food & generally cater to the lowest common denominator.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

I was with you until you proved the point by listing bottom of the barrel institutions that bastardize their chosen "ethnic" food & generally cater to the lowest common denominator.

Using fast food as an example didn't prove anything. How does simplifying food make it bottom of the barrel? A better example would have been Rick Bayless. For me, saying a white person can't own an ethnic restaurant is just silly.

Edited by FriedButter, Jul 5, 2012 @ 7:05 PM.

namean

namean

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Has anyone else noticed the typos in both episodes? Whenever they're on screen I can't stop staring at them.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

For me, saying a white person can't own an ethnic restaurant is just silly.

True, but saying that only considering ONE Mexican chef, in a market like Southern California, isn't. And of the rest, only ONE of them even had a specialty in Mexican food, and the way he talked it was only recent.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

I've now caught episodes 1 & 3 but missed #2. I am curious (and I recognize it is early) to see if we'll ever get a female executive chef hired. I really thought the girl should have won tonight. She had the better articulated concept and, it seems, she had the better tasting food (although who knows). She did have the one guy who didn't like his steak and the rabe and I don't think we saw any complaints about the guy's food, but I thought he had bigger timing issues than she did. The owner also didn't like some of the guy's original dishes that he was going to put out, which seems like a much bigger issue. We didn't see the owner/woman chef's interaction about the menu so maybe he tweaked hers, but it almost seemed like he gave the guy his menu on a silver platter and he still screwed up the conepts. To me, I thought it was obvious the owner wasn't going to hire the woman and given what I've read about the rampant sexism in kitchens, I wonder if all the women who appear will always be cannon fodder.

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

I really thought the girl should have won tonight.

I didn't. I'm female and I wouldn't have hired her because she had a flat affect and no personality. The guy clearly had some issues but they were manageable. Also, he was known to the owner who apparently felt he could deal with those shortcomings more easily than with an absence of fire and visible enthusiasm. That's my take on it anyway.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

This was so rigged and fake it wasn't even funny, not that I am surprised because I was so confused by someone like David Burke being involved in this show. I do hope David will put in a good word for her in another restaurant.

doreenjoy

doreenjoy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 3:37 AM

I sometimes wonder if the Food Network pays certain hosts a flat fee, no matter how many shows they star on. Probably not, but I can't figure out any oither reason why FN insists on forcing a limiited number of hosts on us for show after show.

Both Anne and Guy Fieri were the winners of Food Network Star, weren't they? The contestants on that show sign *very* restrictive contracts (basically if they win, they give over their lives and futures to the network) so it wouldn't surprise me if they have to work on salary or something similar.

she [Nicole, the runner up] had a flat affect and no personality.

I saw that, but I thought it was because her mother had died and she was just going back to work. My heart went out to her because being the caregiver for a dying parent is so greuling. It's a fate I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

This was so rigged and fake it wasn't even funny, not that I am surprised because I was so confused by someone like David Burke being involved in this show. I do hope David will put in a good word for her in another restaurant.

I agree, I think Nicole was by far the better candidate.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Both Anne and Guy Fieri were the winners of Food Network Star, weren't they?

No, only Guy was on that show. Anne's claim to FN fame came from being Mario's sous chef on ICA for the years he was competing. She is a much more accomplished and talented chef than Guy is, I will give her that. She did compete on the Next Iron Chef competition, which of course is the exact opposite of a group from TNFNWS.

So no, her rise to fame actually was built solely on her cooking skills. It's just a shame that seems to be the very thing she does less and less of with all these shows they have her doing, especially this one.

Once again I wasn't that impressed with any of the chefs vying for the position. I only watched the first ten minutes, to see if anyone had a smidgen of personality that would make the hour worth watching, but alas no such luck.

Edited by CPP83, Jul 6, 2012 @ 8:21 AM.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Was the guy David Burke's CURRENT sous chef? Is there a stage between sous chef and executive chef? I must have missed the first few minutes because although I caught that he had worked for David Burke I didn't know if that was recently or in the past.

I didn't. I'm female and I wouldn't have hired her because she had a flat affect and no personality.

I didn't think she had no personality. I appreciated that she said thank you to all the cooks who worked with her. She went out and offered an on the house dessert to the guy who was unhappy with his steak. She was just quieter than the other guy. Perhaps that's necessary to be an executive chef at a certain level - more outgoing and gregarious, I don't know. I've only ever seen chefs at that level on TV and there's already an inherent self selection since they are on television.

Edited by joanne3482, Jul 6, 2012 @ 8:43 AM.

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Ouch moment when the cheftestant said to Anne, "From one chef to another," and Anne barked back, "You're a sous chef, not a chef yet." And "I'm a chef, not a ma'am."

This must be the recycle bin for the Chopped All-Obnoxious bus. Malik? Really?? And eww, I wouldn't have taken a bite out of the food he sweated into.

This was so rigged and fake it wasn't even funny, not that I am surprised because I was so confused by someone like David Burke being involved in this show.

ITA. And also ITA that women have to do twice as well to be considered half as good. Although I was perturbed to hear Anne last week calling herself and Christianne "girl chefs." Girl chef must be retired from the vocabulary.

whydoiwatchtv

whydoiwatchtv

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

I like Ann but I think she is becoming overexposed (like most of the FN people). I love that she snapped at the sous chef and told David to leave the kitchen. This show kinda sucks for me, but I am still an Ann fan as she is one tough girl in the kitchen. Her hair is starting to look like white, fried cotton candy though.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

Is there a stage between sous chef and executive chef?

Yes; that's why they're called different names. A sous chef is an assistant to the executive chef, who runs/directs the kitchen.

Not liking this show. They are determined to ruin my opinion of the great Anne Burrell by not giving us more of her own show SOARC, & putting her on these stupid competition shows. Of course, she's going along w/ it, but it still bugs.

AwNutz

AwNutz

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

I saw that, but I thought it was because her mother had died and she was just going back to work. My heart went out to her because being the caregiver for a dying parent is so greuling. It's a fate I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Her mother didn't die. She had a stroke and her daughter (the contestant) stayed home to help her. They showed her in a scene or two with her mother.

She said, point-blank, in an early episode interview, that she was "very quiet" in the kitchen. She hoped it wouldn't hurt her much. The fact that she didn't want to run the pass, and was basically working as a line chef, as opposed to an executive chef, was what cost her the job. Personally, I felt like she probably has a good palate and is creative in her thinking, but lacks the confidence and outspoken nature that would be required of someone in an executive chef position. YMMV

jeanneh

jeanneh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

AwNutz wrote:

She said, point-blank, in an early episode interview, that she was "very quiet" in the kitchen. She hoped it wouldn't hurt her much. The fact that she didn't want to run the pass, and was basically working as a line chef, as opposed to an executive chef, was what cost her the job. Personally, I felt like she probably has a good palate and is creative in her thinking, but lacks the confidence and outspoken nature that would be required of someone in an executive chef position. YMMV

Sounds a bit like Chef Nyesha Arrington when she was on Chef Hunter. What I remember the most was that one of the table servers commented how strange it was that the kitchen was so quiet during service (no screaming/yelling) - everyone was busy working on the food, including Nyesha. They also had to practically order Nyesha to make rounds at the tables to chat up the diners during dinner service (IIRC she said something like she didn't like to do that, she preferred to stay in the kitchen and cook). And she almost got cut at the beginning of the episode because she wouldn't make eye contact when presenting her food to the owner (IIRC it came across as being dis-interested). Still got the job though (Executive Chef at Wilshire Restaurant in the LA area), and from their website, she's still there and getting great reviews.

I agree with joanne3482 upthread, and think the owner was going to hire the guy he already knew, come hell or high water. (or at least that's the way the edit made it appear)

Edited by jeanneh, Jul 8, 2012 @ 6:50 AM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Nyesha Arrington and the Wilshire may not be the best comparison to make, because I've always suspected there was more going on.

If you check out the relevant dates, Nyesha started at the Wilshire in August of 2011. And appeared on-air on Season 9 of Top Chef by November 2, 2011. The dates match up suspiciously well, because typically they shoot the first episodes of a show like this around 3 months before airing--in other words sometime around August. Meaning she was probably ALREADY cast on Top Chef by the time she started at the Wilshire.

Given the free publicity that brought the restaurant? I've a sneaking suspicion that might have figured into her getting the job.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

Angelica Huston and her table seemed very understanding though, which was nice of them because not everybody is going to be like that.

They were nice, but I cringed when Kristianne said, "Hi, Angelica." Cooking aside (and her food seemed very good), that was the point I felt she didn't deserve the job.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Using fast food as an example didn't prove anything. How does simplifying food make it bottom of the barrel? A better example would have been Rick Bayless. For me, saying a white person can't own an ethnic restaurant is just silly.

Not so silly if you consider food as culture and understand cultural imperialism. True, an individual White person owning a restaurant themed on a non-White cuisine isn't bad - it's the hegemonic trend that is horrifying. I see far too many White chefs building careers on sampling cultural cuisines that they consider *exotic* all the while the actual members of that culture lack the Power to represent themselves and their culture through the restaurant industry. If I failed to accurately explain what I mean by Power, just watch the episode again - notice how all of the major players with Power (owner, executive chef chosen, person choosing contestants) are all White while the kitchen staff are nearly all Brown.

Edited: for spelling

Edited by GrrlPower, Jul 12, 2012 @ 2:56 PM.

jeanneh

jeanneh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

Re the episode at Olives - what a total train wreck! The owner freaking out - and could a chef be any more oblivious as to how he was doing as the losing chef-testant was? (either that, or he really didn't care)

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

Yes; that's why they're called different names. A sous chef is an assistant to the executive chef, who runs/directs the kitchen.

Wallybear, I may have asked the question incorrectly. If I were to correlate the chef titles to the business world an executive chef would be like a vice president and the sous chef a director who would be next in line if the VP leaves? Or is a sous chef being manager who would have to get promoted to director and then up to VP? Is there some job between sous chef and executive chef or is it typical (in a grossly oversimplified manner) that the sous chef would be considered next in line for the executive chef if the EC were to leave?

Re the episode at Olives - what a total train wreck! The owner freaking out - and could a chef be any more oblivious as to how he was doing as the losing chef-testant was? (either that, or he really didn't care)

Up until the kitchen test I thought the delusional one was going to win. I'm kind of glad the Nashville guy won, but I'm curious as to what he is going to do with his own restaurant now that he's the EC for someplace else. Maybe hire his own EC? He's not going to be able to focus too much on his own place anymore.