Home for Dinner with Jamie Deen

• Please log in to reply

142 replies to this topic

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

I liked it. I find Jamie far more tolerable than Bobby. Brooke wasn't in it much; as she's only made 1 appearance on MIL's show, I have to wonder if she just isn't interested in being on TV. Their kids are so freaking cute- Bear & Fat Baby.

I wonder if where they filmed is really their house, because what a tiny kitchen, & it had ceramic tile counters- not what I imagined someone who is rich, is a restaurant cook, & is the son of the queen of southern schlock would have.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

I saw the last half and it didn't stink. Brooke was featured a lot, I thought, and there was Pauler for a bit. The kids were darling and the recipes weren't bad - but then, I like chicken roasted any way. Jamie has done well for himself. I'd still rather see good cooks cooking good food than storylines built around families, but at least we didn't get Mah-kull.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

I saw this show today too and liked it. Jamie seems pretty down to earth and his little boys are adorable. I would imagine the show is shot in one of Paula's guest houses on her property. Not too long ago she built a 14,000 square foot house and I thought I read she also built 3 guest houses with the purpose of filming in at least one of them. That kitchen on Jamie's show is tiny! I would bet he and Brooke have a pretty large kitchen in their home, but would not want filming to take place there with their family. Too much commotion.

Arizonaguy

Arizonaguy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I saw this show today too and liked it. Jamie seems pretty down to earth and his little boys are adorable. I would imagine the show is shot in one of Paula's guest houses on her property.

Count me as one who also enjoyed the show. I'd give it a B+. I think it fills a niche pretty well. Jamie has gotten rid of his "bedhead" hairdo, no? I also made the assumption that this is a guesthouse on Paula's estate. I am a bit concerned about the fat baby being overweight. I am sure his parents will keep it in check since they must have the best consultants/doctors money can buy...

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

I would imagine the show is shot in one of Paula's guest houses on her property. Not too long ago she built a 14,000 square foot house and I thought I read she also built 3 guest houses with the purpose of filming in at least one of them.

When Oprah went there to tape Pauler for O's show Oprah's Next Chapter, Oprah & Gail each had their own guest house, & they showed it. Neither had kitchens- there was a bedroom, bathroom, & sitting room, very tastefully done. Maybe the 3rd house has a kitchen, but I would still expect it to be a bit more blinged out than the one Jamie was cooking in today- ceramic tile counter tops are a 1/2 step above formica (which is what I have), & I would think that w/ Pauler's 300 million dollars, she'd have solid surface counters at the very least.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I was prepared to dislike this show and figured it would be the new snark target until "PW" come back. I always thought Jamie was this dumb oaf/buffoon "mama's boy," etc. Of course, I've only see him on Pauler's show and that ill-fated and blessedly short-lived travel show he had with Bobby several years ago.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It was a decent show. I was expecting drop-in visits by Paula and Mahkul, but fortunately, the scenes with Paula were short. I hope that she's not going to be a regular fixture on this show, like she is on Bobby's, but I doubt that will be the case.

Everything Jamie made looked good and easy to prepare. He was articulate, down-to-earth and a little humorous, without being OTT with the Southern schtick, y'alls, etc. The only thing I could have lived without were the cellphone photos, especially the formal family portrait.

I was confused as to why he has to do all of the cooking, take Jack to and from school, why Jack was staying with Paula after school, plus, it sounded like he was up all night on and off with the new baby, etc. I assume Brooke is a SAHM, but many SAHMs seem to be able to take care of a new baby, as well as a kindergartner. Jamie sounded like he was being run ragged everyday. I also would not be at all surprised if they had a nanny or other household help, so it's not like they're you're average middle-class family that has to struggle and juggle household chores, lack of sleep, etc.

In any case, the family scenes were good without being annoying. Jack is adorable and I cracked up when he pointed out that he couldn't eat apples at the present moment because he had lost so many baby teeth. I'm not really a "baby person," so I can't say much about the baby. Did Jamie ever mention his name? I don't know what an eight-month-old should weigh. I just figured that he took after his dad and he was going to be a big strapping guy when he grows up.

ITA that Jamie's show is better than Bobby's. I only watched a few episodes of Bobby's show because he seemed to come across with an axe to grind or "I told you so," attitude. YMMV.

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

Baby Matthew

Jamie has mentioned on Paula'a show that Jack is tall and that Brooke has 2 brothers, one 6'8" the other 6'9".

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

I saw the second half of the show and liked it. Jamie is good on camera and little Jack is a sport. I liked that they visited Paula to get the fresh eggs and the lettuce from the garden. It shows that close family relationship. Brooke was featured quite a bit I thought.

The roast chicken looked very good. And Jack was cute working on the salad.

lexilina

lexilina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

I am a bit concerned about the fat baby being overweight. I am sure his parents will keep it in check since they must have the best consultants/doctors money can buy...

This cracks me up. I am a Mom of a preemie who is 2 years old now and his son is bigger than my little girl! LOL I loved the show, I found Jamie very endearing and very likeable. I thought he almost teared up showing pics of his family! He almost seems more confident by himself than with Paula. I am excited to see the next episode.

cwreality

cwreality

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Babies are allowed to be chubby. There is no need to worry; once they start walking, the weight tends to fall right off.

Imonna

Imonna

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

I like Jamie. He seems a lot more comfortable in front of the camera than Bobby. And thankfully, he doesn't have Pauler all over his show.
The burgers he made today were meh. I hate onions, so I wouldn't eat them, but it was fun to see him interacting with Jack and Matthew. I have to say though, in my opinion, Brooke looks like hell. She looks like she's aged 10 years since I first saw her on Pauler's show.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

I like this show! This week's episode is the first I've seen. I thought Jamie did a great job with it. He's relaxed and casual and not nearly as manic as Paula can be. I liked the way that the show was put together, showing little snippets of film in between the cooking segments. Of course, little Jack makes a great subject and is bound to make most viewers smile, so Jamie has built-in entertainment! Of the two brothers, I think I'm partial to Jamie, so I was happy to see that his show was good. I hope the FN keeps him on if the rest of his shows are as delightful as this one was.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Damn, I missed it. Thought I had it programmed on the DVR but apparently I didn't- what did he make?

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Wallybear, Jamie made hamburgers (because that's what Jack wanted), gazpacho and chocolate dump cake. ("Dump" cake is made in one bowl, and you "dump" all of the ingredients in, then mix.) He also visited a farm stand and bought a bunch of veggies to put on top of the hamburger. It was all simple food, but it looked good.

msstaceyu

msstaceyu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I am really enjoying this show. The food looked like it was easy to make and looked good. My 7-year-old son was watching with me when he was making the dump cake and commented that it was something that we could make together.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

I really like this show too. Jamie seems at ease in the kitchen and is kind of low key. His recipes might be basic, but look delicious. I love seeing his darling little boys and I like Brooke too. They are really a cute family.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

It was a great show. I LOVED the story about Robert Plant!

lexilina

lexilina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I love this show! I like to watch a host who is completely comfortable in the kitchen but not pretentious or cocky. He uses fresh ingredients but the recipes are not complicated. He is genuine and enjoys his time in the kitchen and it comes through with his presentation and his stories. The cute pictures of his kids are a bonus but they really are such a cute family! I dont even mind the music either. Take note FN!

BTW when he was making that gazpacho my mouth was watering. I am from the South too and that is what fresh tomatoes look like in the summer. There is nothing like it!

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

This was the first episode of this show that I have seen and I was pleasantly surprised. Somehow, Jamie was less obnoxious because he wasn't interacting with Paula and Bobby. I am not a fan of hamburgers, but the rest of the food looked good. Maybe it's because of the shortage of actual cooking on FN? This show was really all cooking and very little other stuff, so it was a pleasant surprise.

I have to say though, in my opinion, Brooke looks like hell. She looks like she's aged 10 years since I first saw her on Pauler's show.

I agree. I was momentarilly distracted during the part of the show where she came in, but I did a double take because I didn't recognize her at first. Of course, the super-close-up isn't really flattering to anyone, but she looked especially bad.

Imonna

Imonna

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

I agree. I was momentarilly distracted during the part of the show where she came in, but I did a double take because I didn't recognize her at first. Of course, the super-close-up isn't really flattering to anyone, but she looked especially bad.

Exactly. I hardly recognized her at first. Although I knew in my head that this was Brooke, she just looked so tired and well, haggard. I mean who am I to criticize, I look like hell most of the time, but I'm not on TV. Nor, actually, would I want to be. Maybe she doesn't, but feels she needs to be there.

At any rate, I really like this show. I think Jamie is far more enjoyable to watch than Bobby or Pauler.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Did I watch the same show as everyone else, because I thought Brooke looked pretty. She had all of her makeup on and her hair looked good. Why does everyone think she looked so bad? She does have an 8 month old and a 5 year old, so cut her some slack if she looks tired. Wow. Maybe people are jealous that she married into all of that money?

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

I happened to look away from the TV, then back. I saw a super-tight close-up of a woman's face who I did not recognize. Then the camera moved out a bit and showed the woman and Jamie, both eating. My thought at the time was, "Gee, that's Brooke? That's not what I remember her looking like." Maybe she has changed a lot in appearance, maybe the other shows I saw her on were much longer ago than I realized, maybe they weren't shot in hi-def and this probably is. Whatever, the woman does not look the same as she did before.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Wow. Maybe people are jealous that she married into all of that money?

I don't think that any amount of money could compensate for having Paula as a MIL! :) YMMV.

I don't remember much of what Brooke is supposed to look like as the last time I saw her on TV was when she married Jamie. She looked OK to me. Jamie doesn't look like a spring chicken anymore, himself. Isn't he in is early-to-mid 40's? I'm guessing that Brooke is probably several years younger. I think they are in that age span where the glow of youth starts to fade and the signs of life's progression and maturity set in.

I think they make a nice-looking family and Brooke and the boys are on the show just enough to be interesting and not annoying, unlike Ladd Drummond and their brood, especially that youngest boy.

So, far, I think that both episodes of the show have been pretty good.

Arizonaguy

Arizonaguy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

It looks like Food Network hit a home-run with this show as it seems to be universally liked. I also am really enjoying this show. It looks like Jamie has a nice little life. The kitchen is kind of wonky (oddly designed) but reads as humble so I'm actually ok with it...

Edited by Arizonaguy, Jun 26, 2012 @ 1:41 AM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Jamie doesn't look like a spring chicken anymore, himself. Isn't he in is early-to-mid 40's? I'm guessing that Brooke is probably several years younger.

Hey! I'm 49 & I've still got plenty of chicken in me! ;-)

IIRC from when Brooke appeared on Pauler's show after they'd married, she & Jamie met while they were in college, so they must be close in age.

redvelvet

redvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

I don't believe either of Paula's sons have been to college. I remember Paula saying that Brooke worked at a bank near their restaurant and Jamie would see her pass by the window each day. One day the bank had a function at the restaurant and that is how they met. I have enjoyed both episodes so far and especially seeing them all eat together as a family. Love to see those little boys.

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

That kitchen may be small, but I loved it. I'm sick of seeing the huge, colorful, high-tech kitchens. Jamie's (show) kitchen looked functional and charming. Maybe I'm just a sucker for simple white kitchens.

He is extremely good and relaxed on-camera. I guess all that time on Paula's show trained him well. So far, I like his show much better than his mother's.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

According to press releases from FN, Jamie is 45 and Brooke is 31. When they got married, they were 38 and 24. They met when she used to walk past the restaurant in Savannah to her job at a nearby bank. Neither Jamie or Bobby graduated from college. One of them (probably Bobby?) started but didn't finish and the other one didn't go at all.

Back to the show -- I always like Bobby more than Jamie and am surprised at how much better Jamie's show is than Bobby's. Jamie seems much more comfortable talking to the camera by himself and, without Paula and Bobby to mug with, he appears calm and competent. I can't even watch Paula anymore because she comes off as so hyper and annoying.

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

Boy, I guess I'm in the minority, because I can't stand this show - there's just something about Jamie that I don't like. Plus, I don't need some asshole to show me how to make a hamburger!

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

I knew that Jamie and Brooke were several years apart, but 14 years is a HUGE age difference!
That reminds me of reading about the days of old in the South when middle-aged men wed girls in their teens. As for Brooke, I didn't notice anything old or haggard about her, but I could have missed it. She looked fine to me.

I also enjoyed seeing the kids, but I hope this doesn't become the training ground for their television careers. "Bear" has already had a lot of exposure on Paula's show and is at the age where all of that attention could go to his head.