Reputation Point System

• Please log in to reply

255 replies to this topic

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

I like the system the way it is. I wouldn't mind the limit going up because I don't think it hurts anything. But I also didn't know there was a limit so I guess I'm stingy with the +1.

IMO, its actually a milder version of whether anyone quotes your post when responding in a thread. So keeping it or getting rid of the system doesn't really do anything as long as no one ever starts ranking users or allowing -1.

I guess the cumulative count is a little different, but even then I don't think it changes much because a lot of the time its not even about the post. You see, I went insane once trying to figure out why I jumped 5 in a day because I knew I hadn't posted anything worth +1ing and turns out my reputation is significantly influenced by Community being insane and funny as hell. That's it. No brilliant bit of snark. No particular wit. Just other posters that like the same episodes of the same show.

I do notice a pattern that +1 seems, in the threads I visit, tend to lean towards the pithy one-liners and less towards longer posts. So I tend to view the +1 as "that was funny" or "I agree" and respond in the thread to posts that prompt discussion. I don't tend to do both on the same post so I, personally, don't see reputation as the best indicator of contribution to TWOP community. But it doesn't hurt anything.

I'm kind of sad there is nothing above excellent because I like being surprised by what is next and when you get there. I'd vote for new levels aligned with the post count. Instead of neutral/good/excellent, your ranking is remote control, potato chips, binoculars, etc.

Edited by ParadoxLost, Aug 3, 2012 @ 9:56 PM.

katarzina

katarzina

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Hello, I have never been able to use the rep system. Everytime I try to +1 someones post, it says Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day. Help please and thanks.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

I think you need a certain number of posts before you're allowed to use the +1 feature?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Yes, that's correct. Once you've made 10 posts and the title under your name changes to Channel Surfer, you will be able to use the +1 feature (5/24 hour period), the PM system, and start topics.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

It's been awhile since this topic was started. Has there been any decision made to increase the amount of +1's we have a day? Some of my favorite shows have been back for several weeks and I'm finding I need more than 5 a day.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

SunshineGal, I wanted to up vote your comment but I couldn't because I reached my up vote quota.

RowingPains

RowingPains

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

I actually like the reputation points system, but I've noticed that when I or quite a few other people are upvoted, our reputations don't change from neutral. Is this some kind of bug or is there a threshold of upvotes you must reach before it affects your reputation?

Blue Girl

Blue Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Just chiming in to say that I like the reputation points system, and it's pretty discrete, which I also like (it took me a while to even notice that it was there). SunShine Gal, I was going to vote you up, but like SDcat2009 I am also out of votes!

If the system continues I hope we are able to get more votes/day. Even a topic with only 7 pages can have over 90 posts, and multiplied by a few shows that's a lot of posts where only 5 can be rated up. There is a lot of stuff that I'd like to acknowledge without quoting, especially if it is a few pages back (PST dooms me to always be a few pages back).

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

I have another reason to give us more Likes - because using the last one takes me to a page telling me I've used the last one, and the back button rarely works* and I lose my place in the thread. So if I'm in a long thread and I'm not sure how many I've got left, some deserving post goes Unliked because I don't want to have to figure out where I left off reading. It would be great to have a cushion of a few more Likes.

*I don't know what's breaking it - some damn ad script I assume - but I've given up trying to fix it.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

I know what y'all mean. Between Survivor, The Voice, Project Runway All Stars, and the other umpteen topics I read, the lowly 5 quota gets used up within 2 pages.

Enigmatics

Enigmatics

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

You can give reputation points to posts by people who are no longer members. This seems like a bug to me.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Well, we usually delete posts that caused banning. Before the banning, the person could have had posts that you agreed with or liked. I don't think it's a bug, although I see where you're coming from.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 4:52 AM

Is there any way yet to remove an accidental +1 (the equivalent of "Unliking" something or removing a Thumbs-Up in YouTube terms)? I gave a +1 to a post I really didn't agree with because I thought I was clicking it for the post that I did agree with (wasn't looking too closely). I know it doesn't really matter, but...well...it's the principle of the thing, haha.

Edited by niklj, Nov 28, 2012 @ 4:53 AM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Heh, I plussed the wrong post, too, one time. It makes me really know I need to stop trying to multi-task.

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

If you've had a warning some time in the past are you ineligible for reputation points? Just mildly curious as I've had plenty of +1's but my profile page says I have 0 reputation.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

I got a warning once, in the distant past. Though that was long before the +1 system started. I just +1ed you as a test. Let's see what happens.

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Thanks for that. For some reason that worked, yet other +1s I've received in recent episode threads have not. No idea why!

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

That's good. :)

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

No, the warning system has nothing to do with the points system. However, I've had another poster report that the points total on her profile stopped changing recently, so I suspect there's some glitch in the system.

Or maybe the reputation points counter was turned off as techs were working on something else in the system. That is total speculation, of course.

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

Can we see who is +1'ing us?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 2:19 PM

No, we can't. I don't think that ability was built into the software.

riley702

riley702

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

JMO, but I think it's better that way.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

I'd still love a way to see where my +1s came from though.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Yes, at least which posts got plussed.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

I, too, would really like to be able to see which posts got plussed.

And I would still really love more than five pluses per day to use on others' posts. There's so much insight and cleverness here that a mere five pluses every 24 hours feels frustratingly inadequate.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 7:20 PM

In your case MsTaken it would be faster and more efficient if you could see which posts weren't plussed.

And I do wish we'd get more of them, but if that's not on I wish they would roll over, so that I could skip a few days and have plenty left for threads that get lots of replies.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 8:42 PM

A lot of these requests are stuff we can't change because it's baked into the forum software. However, I will talk to Strega about increasing the number of points you have to give daily. This has been an experimental phase for us with this system so we are taking it slowly to make sure it works with our forum culture. We don't want this to turn into a competition or popularity contest (and I don't feel that it has, but that was the fear).

Marciac10

Marciac10

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 8:25 PM

I've never used the + feature, although I tried it when it first came out and it didn't work for me. So tonight I tried to + a post and it told me I had used up my +'s for the day. HUH???? I had just signed in, had never used the + before, except that time way back when, and both times, in 2012 and 2013 I'm told I can't. It must be a bug. Could you please fix it????

And what does that Warn Status mean under my user name?

Edited by Marciac10, Feb 25, 2013 @ 8:26 PM.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

I have absolutely no idea why the + isn't working for you; try logging out and logging back in and see if that resets things for you. You might also try deleting your cookies and clearing your cache.

Everyone has the warn status under their name; you can only see yours. As long as there's no number in between the 0 and the 5, you don't have to even think about it again.

If you have further questions, feel free to send me a PM and I can go into more detail.

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2013 @ 1:48 AM

Marciac10, I think the plussing is disabled until you've made at least 10 posts, but the rejection message isn't specific. So it's counterintuitive because it's saying you used them up, but really they're just not enabled yet for your account because you haven't posted enough, but the software must only have an enabled/disabled indicator that doesn't distinguish between reasons why (this is a guess). Hence the identical error message.