spankydoll

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 3:10 PM

Tried watching. Can't. Next.

Kevinao De Lima

Kevinao De Lima

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

Bad news, Cult followers: The CW has officially pulled the low-rated thriller off the schedule.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

I wouldn't be surprised by a mid-season cancel and pull. That seems to be the way they do things these days.
But zap2it is still showing new episodes..
It's not airing this Friday because of basketball.
But new episodes are scheduled to run this Sunday, the 14th, and then the following Friday, the 19th.

ETA: zap2it now shows new episodes of Nikita where Cult was. Oh well. Great concept. Not so great execution. No pun intended.

Edited by shapeshifter, Apr 11, 2013 @ 3:35 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 1:56 AM

Resurrecting the thread to let those who care that it looks like the CW will be airing the six remaining episodes this summer starting June 28.  And it will be in two hour blocks, so it should be done in three weeks.

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

Just a reminder, they are burning off the last few episodes starting tomm. night.  Hopefully, some questions will be answered like what is the point of the Cult and what the hell do the True Believers want? 

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 3:52 AM

Setting my dvr now! Thanks for the reminder.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

So are we a cult following of a show named Cult about a cult following of a show named Cult about a cult following of Billy Grimm?

I should have realized Sakelik wasn't long for this world given how much Aisha Hinds was chewing the villainess scenery--just like the end of Nicky on Defiance. Plus I saw her in another show sometime this week.

If this show hadn't laid on the disgusting sadism so heavily, it might not have frightened away so many viewers.

I'm just watching now because I know it will be over soon.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

So are we a cult following of a show named Cult about a cult following of a show named Cult about a cult following of Billy Grimm?

Heh.  I'm still watching because I'm a completionist and I didn't find it that  awful.  It just didn't realize its potential at all, sadly.  It seemed like the last couple that aired before this burn off were getting a bit better, honestly.  Not enough and I feel like it's being rightfully canceled.  But I did see signs of improvement.  In my little Scaper heart I'm convinced this is because those last few episodes added David Kemper as a consultant.  Maybe if it had started off just a tad stronger and then  added him... alas.

On the upside, can we bring Alaric back to life on Vampire Diaries now?  I've loved Matt Davis since Ahhh Zombies.  He's a great talent.

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 3:11 AM

Heh.  I'm still watching because I'm a completionist and I didn't find it that  awful.

Yes to this. Actually, I liked Cult better than The Following (which is now a total joke). While certainly not compelling TV, I'm glad we're getting a little closure with the burn-off. I'll keep watching to the bitter end.

RIP Sakelik. That was a good twist. When I saw Hinds on The Dome this week, I was glad to see she had gotten other work. Obviously, she'd have had to anyway!

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 4:29 AM

I'm still watching because I'm a completionist and I didn't find it that  awful.  It just didn't realize its potential at all, sadly

That's how I feel too.  And it was the same with these two episodes.  I really see a gold mine with this concept.  And I can see a lot of great ideas.  But the execution is just lacking on so many levels.  The writing and acting just isn't working for me.  Take Aisha Hinds.  I usually like her a lot.  But honestly, I thought she was pretty awful in lot of her scenes tonight; especially her "hearts" monologue in the car.  I at least found it unintentionally funny, because they kept cutting to Jeff's baffled reaction, and I kept wondering how much of that was Matthew Davis acting, and how much of it was him wondering what in the hell was Aisha trying to do with her acting choices for that scene.  Then again, that first episode just was problematic for me.  Even Robert Knepper had a scene where he was off and stilted.  The second episode was better, so maybe the director just dropped the ball on that particular episode.

But, still, I want to see this through.  I am intrigued over where this story might go next.  A few minor hints.  It seems like the True Believers had some kind of plan involving Billy's actor, that won't end well for him, but Hot Believer seems to actually like him (if not romantically), and is conflicted over it.  And the whole fake Stephen Rae thing.  I was confused; if Jeffery Pierce's character the real Stephen, or is still someone else, and he's just someone high up in the food chain?  Either way, I wish he was brought in earlier, because I do think he's made the show more interesting.

Edited by thuganomics85, Jun 29, 2013 @ 4:30 AM.

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 1:06 AM

Let's hope they don't cancel the burn-offs for low ratings. Per TV by the Numbers: 0.1/1 at 8pm and 0.1/0 at 9–down 50% from 0.2 at last airing. I figure it probably won't do much better over the holiday weekend. Seriously, it's not that bad a show and there are far worse still airing in their 3rd and 4th seasons. Don't get me started.

Edited by MsLark, Jun 30, 2013 @ 1:10 AM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 1:18 AM

A lot of people are probably grabbing them online instead of wasting a timeslot on their dvr.  Plus a lot of people probably didn't know about the burn off.  THey usually don't advertise that sort of thing very well. 

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 4:06 AM

I wonder if a different title for the show would've helped. IDK. Do most viewers who are looking for something to watch look at listings--like by using the remote to navigate through their service provider's lineup--or do they just flip through channels without looking at show titles? I mean, "Cult" sounds like a documentary. "The Following" sounds more like the title of a scripted drama. Maybe if it had been "Cult, the Show."

Editing after watching most of the 2 new episodes (missed the first half of the first one); Okay. It's not just the title. There's way too much gratuitous violence for a TV show. Well, lots of folks are watching Hannibal, so maybe it's not too much for a TV show; it's too much for this TV show.

Or maybe, Show, it's not you; it's me.

Edited by shapeshifter, Jul 6, 2013 @ 12:23 AM.

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

I am watching this because I saw some potential, but I still don't know what this show is about. The Following is a terrible, terrible show but I can describe it.  It's about a murder cult led by an Edgar Allen Poe fanatic who is also obsessed with Kevin Bacon. See, that's a terrible idea for a show, but you get the jist of what you are in for.

Cult is about people who are obsessed with a TV show called Cult. The True Belivers see messages in the show left by Stephen Rae who may or may not be a leader/survivor of the Moon Hill Gang.  The Moon Hill Gang believed TV was Bad (possibly) and they all disappeared. Their children are trying to figure out where they are, and they are using messages in the TV show to find them.

You see my point.  I have no idea how they are going to wrap this up, but I've stuck with it this long and I better get some answers.

tommie

tommie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 3:45 PM

Right, so we got a resolution to most of the plotlines during the first season - Jeff got Nate back, Jeff and Skye did the dirty and we finally got to meet Skye's dad.

Of course, there were cliffhangers too - I saw the gun being loaded and someone getting shot coming from a mile away. The cult being part of a bigger cult makes the show even more complicated if it had been renewed for season 2 - I really think they put a bit too much thinking into this show because despite it's short run it was really hard to keep up with everything. I don't like my tv straight-forward but I think they made it too complex too soon. 

Edited by tommie, Jul 13, 2013 @ 3:45 PM.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

The cult being part of a bigger cult makes the show even more complicated if it had been renewed for season 2 - I really think they put a bit too much thinking into this show because despite it's short run it was really hard to keep up with everything. I don't like my tv straight-forward but I think they made it too complex too soon.

Exactly. Hopefully someone else will try this with maybe just one layer revealed every half season.

Plus, the graphic violence on the show within the show just didn't fit, IMO. Maybe if they had some character who represented the audience's POV talking about how gory it was, it would've fit better.

Also, there was zero humor. I mean, even Breaking Bad, which is pretty bleak, has bits of humor.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

Of course, there were cliffhangers too - I saw the gun being loaded and someone getting shot coming from a mile away. The cult being part of a bigger cult makes the show even more complicated if it had been renewed for season 2 - I really think they put a bit too much thinking into this show because despite it's short run it was really hard to keep up with everything. I don't like my tv straight-forward but I think they made it too complex too soon.

That seemed to be a common complaint among some of the people who watched the show.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2014 @ 7:36 PM

Somehow I only just now figured out that Kelly's partner in the show within a show was Kadeem Hardison of "It's a Different World" fame.  Mind blown.