Empire Girls: Julissa & Adrienne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

20 replies to this topic

Raspberry Beret

Raspberry Beret

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

I didn't see a thread for this show yet.

The Style network on Sunday premiered its new reality show “Empire Girls: Julissa & Adrienne,” which follows Latina best friends Julissa Bermudez and Adrienne Bailon as they strive for their big break in the Big Apple. Julissa, a former host of BET’s “106 & Park,” wants to be the next Oprah Winfrey, while Adrienne – a member of the former girl group 3LW and one of Disney’s former Cheetah Girls – wants a singing/acting/dancing career like her idol, Jennifer Lopez.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

There's a reason for that. it's awful.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

I'm expecting to see a lot of "feisty" and "spicy" descriptions of the show and the ladies. *rolleyes*.

For some reason I always thought Julissa was older than her actual age (28), was based out of Miami and was engaged so I thought she could've been a shoo-in for a place on the Real Housewives cast. From the little I do know about her she seems nice enough but I hold an irritional disinterest in Adrienne after the whole 'chicken fight' with 3LW. My mom watched the first episode and said she has a tattoo of the Kardashian son's name on her behind? Really?

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

I think throwing a bucket of fried chicken on a group member is a rational reason to be disinterested in (or in my case, dislike) someone.

That said, I'd love to know how Julissa worked in the industry for as long as she has and hadn't realized that she needed to modify her accent until this first episode.

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

Good grief, will we never run out of D list reality shows?

bricka

bricka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Forget Julissa's accent, she needs to work on her hosting skills, period. She was awful at hosting the Jersey Shore reunions and really, how hard could that possibly be? She wasn't hosting a Mensa conference.

I'm also completely distracted by the 14lbs of makeup each girl wears on a daily basis.

That's about all I took from this show, well that and Adrienne is sort of a whiny little brat.

love danielle

love danielle

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

Adrienne is sort of a whiny little brat.

It's funny...I always thought she was talented and wondered why she never became more successful. I think you just answered why. This girl is too much. Sometimes reality television just isn't your friend.It can portray you in a way you might not want people to see you in.

LemonSoda

LemonSoda

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

It's funny...I always thought she was talented and wondered why she never became more successful. I think you just answered why. This girl is too much. Sometimes reality television just isn't your friend.It can portray you in a way you might not want people to see you in.

This!
I kind of felt sorry for Adrienne for a long time. I thought she was too talented to just be known for the Kardashian stuff. She came off whiny on this show, and a little out of the groove of things. I'm hoping she'll get it together though.
Julissa, I don't have a problem understanding her at all but I can see why others do. She definitely needs to work on her actual hosting skills she comes off too casual and scattered.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 1:22 AM

From the little I do know about her she seems nice enough but I hold an irritional disinterest in Adrienne after the whole 'chicken fight' with 3LW.

Don't worry. Kiely Williams (the one with the lisp: "I'm gettin' th-ick an tired of all your broken promitheth promitheth") is the one who threw the chicken. She also tried to subtly throw shade to Adrienne when her "laptop was stolen" and nude pictures were leaked, and implied that she would never do such a thing. Then she hypocritically came out with this atrocity. I can't stand that broad.

Adrienne and Naturi Naughton were rumored to be on good terms. So you can like her and not feel bad about it.

I thought Adrienne was coming out with an album a few years back. I wonder what happened to that.

Edited by noluvnoluck, Jun 7, 2012 @ 1:35 AM.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

Adrienne cannot sing at all, imo. She can't dance either. How she got Ne-Yo to invest in her, I have no idea. I also found her incredibly irritating, whiny, and immature. That twitter thing, the naming of the Kardashians like 10 times on a show that has nothing to do with them, the lack of focus during dance rehearsal. Plus, I still don't like her for how she treated Naturi even if they are now on good terms.

I have always found Julissa really annoying, but on the show, I find her tolerable. She seems pretty humbled by the fact that she now lives with her parents, but I have to know - has no one in the industry ever brought up her accent? It is very strong. I don't mind it, but most people who want to go into hosting with thick accents go into voice/speech therapy to minimize it so they are more marketable. Also, Julissa is too loud and giggly as a host - I couldn't see her being serious or subdued enough to host a legit talk show.

bricka

bricka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

I also found her incredibly irritating, whiny, and immature. That twitter thing

That's the part where I decided she was truly shallow and irritating. Does she derive her self-worth from how many twitter mentions she gets a day? Who keeps the sound on to alert them to twitter responses in the middle of something like a dance rehearsal? Put the phone down. The tweets will still be there when you're done. It's like she's obsessively looking for something that makes her seem relevant. Look at me, I have twitter followers. Okay... and?

Then the rolling of her eyes when Neyo's assistant didn't immediately put her through to him. Well, what do you expect, he's investing time and money in you and you're more concerned about your imaginary friends on twitter who give you some sense of legitimacy as a "star."

Then the way they all went into those fake poses at the fashion and right out of them. Everything about it seemed so shallow and devoid of anything resembling real.

ava1

ava1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

Then the way they all went into those fake poses at the fashion and right out of them. Everything about it seemed so shallow and devoid of anything resembling real.

Most everyone who gets their picture taken at these events does that and some of the worst offenders are the people that don't even need to do that to get noticed(I'm looking at you and your leg Angelina Jolie). Anyway I agree it's ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as this show.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

They truly will give anybody a show these days, huh? I tuned in for about 1 minute to figure out who the heck these people are. I figured out Adrienne, from the only 3LW song I can remember- no clue who Julissa is still!! HOW did these two get a show?

under the el

under the el

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

I gave this show a chance because its nice to see two latinas together on TV trying to make it in the city, but, overall, its just not that interesting. They both would benefit from a little more self-awareness. I do believe that this country would benefit from hearing different accents on TV, and I grew up hearing this accent a lot, so I do side with Julissa a little, but this can't be the first time anyone has ever told her about it. Slowing down would be helpful. It seemed like everyone that asked her to tone down her accent had an accent of their own, just no a strong one. I'll tune in for the season finale.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

I guess it's the constant overly loud way they talk to draw attention to themselves and the flashy look at me all dressed up with my crazy hat and boots as if getting followed by a camera crew didn't get them noticed enough that irritates me.

They'll never be more than D- celebrities.

If Adrienne had Rob's name on her ass,, he has her's in flourishy script across his ribcage.

Sayuri1188

Sayuri1188

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

Confession: I like this show (and have been watching it on demand all morning). I like how J and A aren't polished, and how candid they are, especially about relationships. I have a feeling they are more "frenemies" than friends at times, but they both seem like nice women.

sfemale0181

sfemale0181

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Julissa: It's great that she wants to eventually have her own show. I think she's headed in the right direction in terms of auditioning,listening to the constructive feed back however, I think she has unrealistic expectations. Even Oprah had to start off at the bottom and work her way up. It certainly didn't happen over night. She has to understand that hosting gigs is stepping stone as well as the auditions. She has a lot of bad habits and needs development in a few areas. Slow down, relax, take your time to learn as much as possible to develop your brand. Her putting a "time stamp" on her life is also adding pressure. So what if you're not married before 30 with 2 kids and white picket fence house, with a vaction home in the hamptons and too many countless degrees you can't think of. It doesn't matter. As long as you don't lose sight of your goal, you'll acheive any and all of your dreams. No matter what age you are. I don't think she's over that Larry Johnson Asshole who by the way, knows exactly what to say to push her buttons hence him claiming to be so in love with some random chick that he wanted to marry her. Trust, he is the loser he was and hasn't changed. I wonder how Julissa looks without the heavy make up, and crazy outfits?

Adrienne: Man this girl thinks she knows it all!! Just take direction and allow things to happen, in other words shut the fuck up and listen!! I notice she gets real defensive when people tell her things she doesn't want to hear. Girl have a seat! She still has a lot to learn about life and the music business. I wish she would understand that. She kind of has the "me" complex. Like it has to be about her at all times but she kind of does this in a subtle way. I'm curious to see what direction her music career will go in the next couple of years. It's great that she's wanting to build a brand. I hope she keeps it up but she's going to have to understand that she has to learn from the best before that brand can be sucessful. Take direction, do your research, learn as much as possible. No wonder why her and Julissa are friends they both have a hard time listening.

Leyla: What does she do again? What is her "career" that she dosn't want to give up that is in LA but can't be found in New York? I relate to her wanting her own identity, being independent and juggling family, work and personal fulfillment. It can be hard at times however one can be fulfilled in all areas. It's a matter of prioritizing.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

Do these chicks realize how ridiculous they look with full hair & stage makeup just sitting around in the middle of the day?

sfemale0181

sfemale0181

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Posted Yesterday, 06:05 AM #18

Do these chicks realize how ridiculous they look with full hair & stage makeup just sitting around in the middle of the day?

I know right?

juniebaby

juniebaby

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

Speaking of walking around in full makeup everywhere, did you see Adrienne without any makeup on the other episode? She is just a plain looking woman, nothing special at all. I wonder why Julissa wasn't shot without her makeup on.

patternmaster

patternmaster

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Confession: I like this show (and have been watching it on demand all morning). I like how J and A aren't polished, and how candid they are, especially about relationships. I have a feeling they are more "frenemies" than friends at times, but they both seem like nice women.

I've been watching this show from the start and I also enjoy how candid they are about their love lives and careers. Specially Julissa she seems very honest about her feelings toward her ex-fiance and drive to be a success. Adrienne I'm thinking is not as honest and is a bit delusional regarding her career and her "branding". I am still shocked at the wardrobe malfunction incident. Why in the world would you not wear some sort of undergarment? Even if the dress was multi layered it was still a dress wouldn't you be walking outside at some point and sitting on a chair. That's just nasty.

Edited by patternmaster, Aug 14, 2012 @ 10:27 PM.