Arrow

• Please log in to reply

14418 replies to this topic

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Emily posted this on her instagram http://instagram.com/p/m018EUiKU8/. And it makes me think they will switch sceneries  in the finale.

Emily also took a picture of Stephen with his daughter on the "island".it's a really beautiful photo.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 06:32 PM

Just in case anyone doesn't already know and wants to know, this week's episode is airing in Chicagoland at 11pm.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 06:40 PM

It'll still count in the Finals, since they're airing it before 3 am.

writersblock51

writersblock51

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 PM

I like Joss Whedon plenty when it comes to helping map out the Marvel universe in theaters but that concept of 'give them what they need, not what they want' is a slippery slope. 

And Arrow is, IMO, not on the same scale as Marvel Universe.

None of the Arrow fans that I know (most of which are NOT active on the show's social media accounts) like Laurel.  And it's more about how the character has been written than anything else.  KC's acting abilities within the characterization have been problematic for me, too.  I just don't think she and Stephen Amell have 'chemistry' that comes off as romantic, at all, never did.  Old friends? Yes.  Hurt but caring? Yes.  Honest? No.

so now the show says they were considering Sara as Ravanger?  really?  Because that didn't come through, at all. Comparing S2 Laurel to S1 Tommy in regards to finding out Oliver's truth?  Tommy was angry and bitter.  He could EASILY have followed his father.  So does that mean we get to see Angry & BItter Laurel - againNo thanks.

Isabel was left off screen while they figured out what to do with her? 

WHAT THE HELL, SHOW?!?!!?!?   They may not have known they'd get a 3rd season but they sure knew they had a 23 episode 2nd season.  Plan accodingly.  Stop fixing things on the fly. 

The Laurel Love is bad.  Realizing that the show is pretty much making shit up as they go is very concerning.

I'll stick to the rest of the season, I think.  But I'm not watching it live (haven't since it returned after Christmas)   And S3 looks like I'll be free on Wednesdays.

shadow2008

shadow2008

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 08:18 PM

so now the show says they were considering Sara as Ravanger?  really?  Because that didn't come through, at all. Comparing S2 Laurel to S1 Tommy in regards to finding out Oliver's truth?  Tommy was angry and bitter.  He could EASILY have followed his father.  So does that mean we get to see Angry & BItter Laurel - againNo thanks.

I think the days of angry & bitter Laurel are behind us. I could turn out to be wrong of course, but I feel very strongly that the show will continue with the Saint Laurel direction from recent episodes and portray her as an understanding and supportive individual after learning of Oliver's secret. I don't necessarily mind it. I just wish the writers would have bothered to show us this change in her personality on-screen. Made it feel earned. Instead, they just light-switched her from one episode to the next.

Edited by shadow2008, Yesterday, 08:55 PM.

abhi

abhi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 08:35 PM

I think we should give the writers some credit. These interviews are simply misleading. The Sara as Ravager part was a very early concept of the series, probably when they were planning to make a pilot for Arrow. So, at least they were planning on bringing Sara back from the dead from the very beginning. But I think the Ravager part went for a toss due to the poor reception of Laurel and maybe they realized that Cassidy was not capable of playing such a character. So they auditioned and brought Sara back as Canary. And frankly its too late for Laurel to become a top martial artist. She is after all 29 years old. Not the ideal age to start learning martial art.

JayKay

JayKay

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 08:36 PM

I'm not even a Summer Glau fan, and I think they wasted her since she's been great as Isabelle. This "plowing through" method of plotting is going to mess them up something fierce next season. I think of an athlete who grows older playing a sport and has to become more tactical or burn themselves out. The effects of running too recklessly for too long are already setting in and have had a negative impact on the show. I wonder if the disappointing ratings lately will encourage the writers to reevaluate their gameplan.

Asgardian

Asgardian

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Poor Katie Cassidy. 

Just when you think Laurel is rid of Oliver, they suck her back in.

The worst thing they can do for the character is hook her up with Oliver again. Its as if the writers sit around and think of ways to screw up the character some more.

insubordination

insubordination

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 09:15 PM

I'm not surprised that they had no plan for Isabel. It showed. They had no plan for Laurel this season either. This show continues on like a bad fan fiction.

Yes, the writing for Laurel's character is terrible and Laurel doesn't seem to have any likeable traits.  But Moira is also written terribly with utterly implausible storylines and she goes back and forth from good and evil. However, Thompson is a convincing actress and never fails to sell it to me.

That first (fight) clip: Slade was just doing that for shits and giggles. He didn't want to kill them yet. Just a cat playing with a mouse. I liked seeing Oliver and Sara fight in civvies rather than costumes. Waste of bullets though.

That second clip: Oh, you're telling us about the Miracle drug (much better name) now. Funny, present day Oliver/Sara have never mentioned this possibility before.

jessie09

jessie09

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 09:20 PM

That second clip: Oh, you're telling us about the Miracle drug (much better name) now. Funny, present day Oliver/Sara have never mentioned this possibility before.

I'm guessing either the cure doesn't work or Ivo is lying to get out of getting killed. I'm not sure there's much of a reason to bring it up if Ivo's lying and there never was one to begin with.

Wyn

Wyn

Channel Surfer

Posted Today, 12:11 AM

Okay, I have a question about that interview Andrew Kreisburg did.  In it he mentioned:

Spoiler

SleepDeprived

SleepDeprived

Fanatic

Posted Today, 03:21 AM

Regarding your question, Wyn, I've been wondering the very same thing myself. Like, do the writers not do research at all or do they honestly not know that people as wealthy as the Queens (it has been mentioned so many times that they are BILLIONAIRES!) have multitudes of other sources of income that they can liquidate should one of their ventures go kaput? Oliver losing his job or position as board member/CEO of Queen Consolidated does not mean he is in financial trouble. His family still do own half the shares of QC (or a little less since he sold off some to entice Tockman). Seriously, they're part of the 1 percent. They very likely have accounts scattered in Switzerland or The Caymans and elsewhere. He very well would still be able to pay Felicity and Diggle for quite some time. Wasn't he able to give them $1 million each when he went to go brood at Lian Yu last summer? This part in the interview seriously had me laughing hysterically. I'm not sure how the writers will be able to make me believe even a smidgeon of this apparently important plot "development".

She is after all 29 years old. Not the ideal age to start learning martial art.

Hey now, don't say that. I legit still want to get that black belt one day, okay? Sure, one of my leg's not as great as it used to be but this statement hurts me in my soul. Heh. No, but really though, I agree with you that, for Laurel to become a better Canary than Sara, her age is certainly working against her. Black Canary is a master martial artist and there is just no way for it to be believable that she can become super kick-ass in the timeline of the show, unless they make Laurel as the Canary waaaayyyy down the line, like in season 6 or 7 (I might not be watching by then, anyway). And only after actually showing her going through an intensive training regimen. Additionally, KC needs to put on some actual muscle and, maybe, go through dance/ballet training. Right now, it's kinda hard to believe she would be able to best anyone in a fight. At least, as waif-like as Summer Glau might be, I absolutely can see her kicking ass because of how graceful and purposeful her fight movements are, thanks to her ballet background. Also, I've seen Firefly/Serenity. On the other hand, KC can just choose to do the close-ups and leave the rest to the stunt person. In which case, eh. If she isn't willing to put in the 110% that Caity and Stephen always give then the show really doesn't need to bend over backwards for her to have the Canary role.

Edited by SleepDeprived, Today, 03:25 AM.

west64

west64

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 03:41 AM

She is after all 29 years old. Not the ideal age to start learning martial art.

Hey now, don't say that. I legit still want to get that black belt one day, okay? Sure, one of my leg's not as great as it used to be but this statement hurts me in my soul. Heh. No, but really though, I agree with you that, for Laurel to become a better Canary than Sara, her age is certainly working against her. Black Canary is a master martial artist and there is just no way for it to be believable that she can become super kick-ass in the timeline of the show, unless they make Laurel as the Canary waaaayyyy down the line, like in season 6 or 7 (I might not be watching by then, anyway).

In the real world 29 is absolutely no way too old to start, if someone just wants training, I hear this all the time, and I have seen people start late 30s and early 40's who are really good regardless of age. Anyways for Laurel to be a real master marital arts expert, I think she may be pushing it, since this would mean she would be 34 if were thinking she gets 5 years training like Sara and Oliver, but the show cannot time jump that far ahead.

They should of had Laurel done some martial arts when she was younger, but not mastered anything at the levels of the LOA just yet.

A time-jump between season 2 and 3, of about one year, where she is starting her training still isn't enough time. Were going to have to end up with her training being a work in process for the next 2-3 seasons. 

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Today, 05:15 AM

I like Joss Whedon plenty when it comes to helping map out the Marvel universe in theaters but that concept of 'give them what they need, not what they want' is a slippery slope. 

And Arrow is, IMO, not on the same scale as Marvel Universe.

This quote has no relation to his work in MCU, and, frankly, while "The Avengers" was plenty fun, it's nowhere close in quality to some of his writing on TV. In "The Avengers", he pretty much gave people what they wanted, actually. Anyway, I'm a big, big fan of Joss, and it's quite amusing that the writers of Arrow quote him. Although it's flattering, I guess.

Edited by FurryFury, Today, 05:16 AM.

abhi

abhi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 05:26 AM

In the real world 29 is absolutely no way too old to start, if someone just wants training, I hear this all the time, and I have seen people start late 30s and early 40's who are really good regardless of age

But becoming really good is not an option. She will have to become one of the best since Black Canary is one of the best martial arts expert in the DC universe, if I am not mistaken.

And for those people who want the fishnets in the Canary dress, I saw the DC all access video for Arrow where they are talking about the costume on Arrow. And the dress designer mentioned that the fishnets are already in the dress, it's just on the outside of her pants. And if one looks at her pants, there are actually fishnets there.

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted Today, 05:38 AM

writersblock51

None of the Arrow fans that I know (most of which are NOT active on the show's social media accounts) like Laurel.

I know three people outside of this board and p.tv who watch and all of them dislike Laurel. I'm not dumb enough to fall for the "I am the world" fallacy but I'm having issues seeing the legion of Laurel fans who are apparently eager to see her 'don the fishnets'.

Eh, at the end of the day the producers do what they do. They are sapping my remaining enthusiasm for the show though.

Bkwurm

Bkwurm

Fanatic

Posted Today, 05:49 AM

Oliver going from Billionaire to broke because he's no longer the CEO of the company? He lost a job and direct control of the company but doesn't he and his family in addition to their butt load of cash and prizes own half the stock in the company? I get Felicity getting fired, but Diggle's salary always came out of the personal checking account. Oliver being broke makes no sense at this point.

That said you know it's going to be played for laughs. As ridiculous as it would be for a former non coffee making Executive Assistant (and current IT genius) to do, I'm fully expecting Felicity to get a job as a barista making coffee full time. Insert eye roll here.

Edited by Bkwurm, Today, 05:50 AM.

pootlus

pootlus

Fanatic

Posted Today, 06:16 AM

That Facebook clip was awesome. That's the sort of stuff I watch Arrow for.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Today, 07:21 AM

Oliver going from Billionaire to broke because he's no longer the CEO of the company? He lost a job and direct control of the company but doesn't he and his family in addition to their butt load of cash and prizes own half the stock in the company? I get Felicity getting fired, but Diggle's salary always came out of the personal checking account. Oliver being broke makes no sense at this point. 

They just did the same thing in the comics, Stellmoore (led by Komodo AKA Simon Lacroix) just took control of Queen Industries and blew up Q Corp (issue #17) and now Oliver is pretty much broke.  In the comics he mentions that he gets paid enough from the Justice League to cover basic expenses and keep the team going but he is basically broke.

It doesn't make sense in RL but it does seem to be a standard storytelling trick in both comics and TV shows for some reason.