Arrow

• Please log in to reply

14578 replies to this topic

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

Tahmoh Penikett works steadily in TV and has been busy on the new Superman movie. I guess Dollhouse wasn't that bad for his career.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 7:05 AM

I'm not sure he's been all that steady - I last saw him on Riverworld which was a dud and then nothing till he resurfaced in Castle.

The Arrow casting directors are reeling me in with Helo, John Crichton and Captain Jack Harkness - but couldn't they have done a better job casting the leads themselves? Is it that difficult finding actors that look good and can act? The Vampire Diaries managed a fairly good looking and decent acting cast, even if Katherine Graham was hit and miss in the beginning and the actor who plays Klaus still is, a little bit.

Artesia

Artesia

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

Is it that difficult finding actors that look good and can act? The Vampire Diaries managed a fairly good looking and decent acting cast, even if Katherine Graham was hit and miss in the beginning and the actor who plays Klaus still is, a little bit.

Err, did you really just used VD as an example of a decent acting? Paul Wesley plays his role like a tree. A frowning, vampire tree. They could have made stakes from him. Nina Dobrev was kinda good as Katherine, but that's it. Ian Somerhalder ceased trying to act roughly in 2nd season, and now he just bulges his eyes and looks sexy on occasion. The only one who still tries to act it's Candice Accola.

Also, while initially I thought that Stephen Amell's portraying of Oliver was very wooden, now, while I still think that he could have visited the gym less, and acting school more, I think that he tries to portray a man with severe PTSD. A man, who tries to look and act normal, but comes as wooden, robotic and shell-shocked. It's a decent acting choice, I just think that we should have seen his life pre-island more in flashbacks, which could help us to compare old Oliver and his new version. I don't mean his drunken parties, I mean his interactions with family and friends.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

Did you really just used VD as an example of a decent acting?

Yes, I did. Their faces actually move. And I think Paul Wesley can be intimidating when he gets very quiet in a way that Arnell will not be able to pull off. Having said that, I used TVD as a comparison because it is also a CW fantasy show with a good looking and young cast. The Winchester Brothers are miles better, IMO of the current crop on the channel. I'm not even going to the other broadcast channels. I swear, I switched from The Good Wife and i nearly recoiled at how flat Arrow was in comparison (admittedly the dialogue did not help). At this point I'd say even David Boreanaz and Tom Welling when they started were better. And it's not just about Arnell playing wooden (and he doesn't come across to me as robotic, he comes across as wooden to me) - it's about the lady playing Dinah too. Why doesn't her face move? Karen Carpenter is coming off as a better actress right now, and that's really not right.

Edited by romantic idiot, Nov 11, 2012 @ 8:12 AM.

Artesia

Artesia

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

Yes, I did. Their faces actually move. And I think Paul Wesley can be intimidating when he gets very quiet in a way that Arnell will not be able to pull off.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I think that Paul Wesley is even worse than David Boreanaz in Buffy S1.

And it's not just about Arnell playing wooden (and he doesn't come across to me as robotic, he comes across as wooden to me) - it's about the lady playing Dinah too. Why doesn't her face move? Karen Carpenter is coming off as a better actress right now, and that's really not right.

And on this I agree wholeheartedly. Katie Cassidy is atrocious in this role. She doesn't have acting chops and gravitas to pull a hotshot lawyer's role. Her chemistry with Ammel isn't even non-existant, it's negative. Their acting are actually worsening when they are together. I can't put the blame squarely on her though, writers had really dropped a ball with her dialogues. But, on the other hand I think that more decent actress could have salvaged something from them. Sadly, this is not the case.

Edited by Artesia, Nov 11, 2012 @ 8:39 AM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

At this point I'd say even David Boreanaz and Tom Welling when they started were better.

I think Stephen Amell is about a thousand times better than Boreanaz was on the first season of Buffy. And would be even if I didn't think Amell was deliberately playing Oliver as stiff and wooden at the moment. Boreanaz genuinely seemed like he was just reading his lines off a piece of paper taped to something off camera. He was terrible.

But, in Angel and Bones, he showed that he had clearly taken great strides and become a decent actor. Not Emmy-worthy, but engaging, charismatic and able to hit the right emotional beats most of the time.

I don't know what to make of Katie Cassidy. So far, she's left me distinctly underwhelmed with her performances, but I've seen people say she's been good in other things. She has shown flashes of charisma herself, especially in the last episode where she got a little snarky with Oliver and with her dad. I guess the overly sincere, angst-laden stuff they've given her to do so far isn't helping her create an engaging character.

And it's unlikely to improve when she starts dating Tommy and still can't help casting covetous glances at Oliver, then gets jealous if she sees Oliver with another woman. Sigh. I actually think it might have been better not to have a female lead at this stage in proceedings. Or perhaps make Thea the de facto female lead, and have the central drama be about her reconnecting with her brother while he's hiding his secrets from her. Except, then the problem of their very evident chemistry would be magnified.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

I'm not sure he's been all that steady - I last saw him on Riverworld which was a dud and then nothing till he resurfaced in Castle.

Check his IMDB page. He's had roles steadily since the end of Dollhouse. He was in episodes of the The Killing, Fairly Legal, Haven, Contiuum, etc.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

I finally got a chance to watch Arrow this past weekend. It took me a while to get into it (I wasn't impressed with the acting at first, especially from the lead) but I have to say I was hooked by the end of it. The mythology is great.

IgnaMom

IgnaMom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

I came across these and thought it might interest some people (who are much smarter than me).

Physics of the Ninja Warrior Salmon Ladder

This led me to another link that applies to the show. Pictures aren't showing up for me but hopefully they do for ya'll.

Parkour Physics:Wall Climb

Title of New NY Post Article dated yesterday made me LOL - "Treasure Chest" Yes, his chest sure is a treasure, as are his abs.

I have never really been a comic book reader (though I watch the movies TV shows based on them). I don't know anything about the various DC comic book characters they have been bringing onto the show. While I think it's cool to have other DC heroes and villians on the show it seems to me like they are bringing a lot of them on the show in a short span of time. Personally I'd like to see them spaced out a bit more,

Edited by IgnaMom, Nov 11, 2012 @ 11:42 PM.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

I enjoyed the fight scenes in this episode also, and I hope to see Diggle in the green hood some more, also agree that Diggle impersonating the Hood was telegraphed from the promo.

I am happy that Laurel finally has some understanding of what Oliver had to go through on the island, I was getting tired of the snark, also their scenes weren't so painful this time around.

I was surprised that Walter told his wife about his discovery so quickly to tell the truth. I did like the mama bear act though.

Edited by bluvelvet, Nov 11, 2012 @ 7:55 PM.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

Re: the article about how SA does a lot of his stunts himself, I guess it does add to the reality, but I honestly would have preferred a better actor with a stunt double. But I'm not the target audience anyway. I do admire the work he seems to have put in to it though. One small tip from me though (for both SW and Katie Cassidy) - you have John Barrowman on the set - please ask him for kissing tips. Thanks.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

One small tip from me though (for both SW and Katie Cassidy) - you have John Barrowman on the set - please ask him for kissing tips. Thanks.

Thank goodness for an empty office as I'm giggling like a 12 year old. So very true and not only ask him for tips, but how about some practical lessons as well? Who wouldn't want to kiss John Barrowman?

IgnaMom - thanks for the links. The pictures in the second article won't come up for me either but the video did. This makes it easier to understand how it's done and why Stephen Amell says it's like a dance move and the first rung is the hardest. It's still really impressive to me and I have to give Stephen props for doing all his own moves in this show.

MurlocGurgle

MurlocGurgle

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

totally unrelated to the storytelling on the show but I did think after the watching the Pilot that Katie Cassidy was too good for Ollie and that if she really hated him or if the show writers really hated the main character that they should have Black Canary NOT fall for Ollie but constantly play almost but not quite with the guy which IS what she's been doing in action if not intent by kissing him but then having to leave. When he said he got his scars on the island, I thought if she blames him for the destruction of his family, she'd need to SEE those scars for herself because as Inigo Montoya would say, " Is the only way I can be satisfi."

And sure enough, she shows up to take a look at the scars.

Heh!

Just a coincidence - I'm sure the show writers don't mean for her to do this. But Arrow is fun in a way that Vampire Diaries is not because of the many opportunities to IMAGINE that Steven Arnell does not know how to act and is unintentionally but masterfully selling Ollie as cray cray frat boy sociopath who is under some kind of martyr spell - like when the worst person you know gets it into their head to turn Mother Teresa - he's still that callous serial dater underneath but the martyr spell just won't let him be true to himself. Bruce Wayne was NEVER like that. He was never toxic but Ollie's past indicates that he really was every father's nightmare for their daughter(s).

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

he still looks like he wants to fuck Moira in that scene, because he's Barrowman.

And that's why I will definitely not stop watching this show until we at least get a scene between Barrowman and Oliver.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

Finally caught up with the latest episode. Impressed with Ollie's nuts for getting off the hook. The show is ticking off enough boxes of comics canon without being too cheesy. I don't think it's comparable to Smallville, in the sense that the overbearing sense of "These guys have no clue what they're doing" didn't take hold until the fifth or sixth season. Or maybe it was when Erica Durance was cast as Lois Lane.

Deathstroke looked kinda dopey. This guy is supposed to be Evil Captain America, a solider whose intelligence and body were improved by drugs. His hallmarks were "The Judas Contract" and the time he took down the Justice League in Identity Crisis*. Never mind his having both eyes . . . I'm betting Ollie took the left eye before he left the island, if not Proto Arrow. Any guy can throw on a mask and battle gear and gut a guy. I would need to be impressed.

Laurel in fishnets . . . I admit, I laughed.

It's weird . . . we got John Barrowman, and yet Arrow isn't a slashfic paradise like Smallville. Pity he never popped up there.

* For any comics fans, your millage may vary. And I know a lot of people have beef with Brad Metzler over the miniseries. Still, seeing Slade effortlessly take out past and present Leaguers was impressive . . . at least before he got greedy and tried to swipe Green Lantern's ring. Ollie actually jammed an arrow into his eyehole.

Edited by Lantern7, Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:57 AM.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 5:36 AM

It's weird . . . we got John Barrowman, and yet Arrow isn't a slashfic paradise like Smallville.

And I think the show is poorer for it. I guess I'm just not that into Diggle/Ollie (Dollie?) yet. Maybe the Thea/Ollie tension is supposed to be what that is about?

Pity he never popped up there.

True dat.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Laurel in fishnets . . . I admit, I laughed.

Me too. That was a good line.

I guess we needed to get the "Oliver is no longer a suspect" story out of the way fairly early into the season/series. It's one of those things that needed to be done.

I'm still not sure what to make of the Mom and Stepdad story yet. One would think that they need to stick around for the entire series, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with their storyline. Is it never going to have an end?

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

At some point, the list must end and I think whatever secret momma Queen is holding is going to shatter the delusions Ollie is using to justify his actions and force him to reassess.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Programming note for any Canucks on here. CTV is now going to run Arrow at 7 pm EDT on Wednesdays. It's on the main network and not one of the off shoots of CTV. I guess running it on the main network was a success so they'll keep it for a while. Not sure if they'll move it around after the 8 o'clock reality show finishes but keep your eyes open and as they say "check your local listings".

MurlocGurgle

MurlocGurgle

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I call him "Giggle" in my head because he looks like one of the puppets in morning kiddie shows - it's the eyes.

silentwilight

silentwilight

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

Seth Gabel will be playing this show's version of Vertigo.

Wow at all the guest stars. Though I wonder if "Vertigo" will be recurring.

Also,
Spoiler

RandomMe

RandomMe

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

I so hope this role is recurring -- and that they do it justice. I was never into Dr. Who or Torchwood, and while I really enjoyed Tahmoh Penikett in BSG (and even Dollhouse), I love love LOVE Seth Gabel. Best casting news of the week.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

So we're not going to change the title? Pity. I was truly a fan of "Arrow: It's Not Easy (Not) Being Green Arrow."

For those of you looking for the ho-yay, Diggle and a shirtless Oliver will be working out together on tonight's episode.

IgnaMom

IgnaMom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

It's weird . . . we got John Barrowman, and yet Arrow isn't a slashfic paradise like Smallville.

Give it time my dear. Barrowman and Amell have yet to be in the same room together on the show. I saw a quote from Barrowman re. Amell so had to find the article (I don't like quoting anything without knowing where it came from and providing a link). The quote made me think of the conversation here.

John Barrowman talks about Arrow star Stephen Amellís body

"Itís in my contract that every scene we do together, he is nude"

Oh I am sure John wishes. Also, It seems that I am not the only one that appreciates Oliver Queen's taste in low cut pants. So, I'm thinking as soon as those two get in to a room together the slashfic will start writing itself.

I really don't see Oliver and Thea as anything more than siblings, yet. My younger brother gets hurt I am on the couch next to him rubbing his back and letting him know that I am there for him, and half the time he acts like he can't stand me. Nothing sexual about it. I am a born nurturer and care-giver. Even though Ollie is older I see Thea as the nurturing caring type who wants to care for her big brother.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

I decided to have a quick check of what sort of fanfic is being written for this show, and it does indeed seem to be mostly Oliver/Thea incest fics. Probably not what the showrunners had in mind.

Seth Gabel will be playing this show's version of Vertigo.

Wow at all the guest stars. Though I wonder if "Vertigo" will be recurring.

Unfortunately, I'm only familiar with Marvel's Vertigo. Who is a... somewhat different character. Not familiar with this actor either, but it seems like Arrow is pulling out all the stops to get popular genre names. John Barrowman, Ben Browder, Tahmoh Penikett and now this guy from Fringe. Wonder who's next. Both in terms of DC characters and the actors who will play them. How about Adam Baldwin as Ted Grant?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

When I said "Slash," I meant "guy on top of chiseled guy." Smallville was where I learned of the concept of "HoYay" (aka yaoi), and I'm not counting any icky Queen bro/sis hookup action.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

OMG OMG I get Lincoln Lee and Jack Harkness.

/dies

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 2:53 AM

When I said "Slash," I meant "guy on top of chiseled guy." Smallville was where I learned of the concept of "HoYay" (aka yaoi), and I'm not counting any icky Queen bro/sis hookup action.

Yeah, I understood what you meant. I was just saying that, rather than slash fiction, most of it seems to be about Oliver/Thea. Which is something that was speculated about back when people first started noticing the chemistry between the actors.

Both are as bad as each other, in my opinion. Theyíre still taking relationships that are based (most of the time) on platonic love and affection and turning it into sex. Sometimes thatís fun, but most of the time I think it just devalues the relationships that are there. But thatís why itís fanfic and not canon, I guess.

MurlocGurgle

MurlocGurgle

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

It just seems like putting Captain Jack and Ollie in the same scene would only serve to highlight the difference in talent and I guess expressiveness. John Barrowman's really good with his few lines in the last episode.

I found Torchwood unwatchable but the Face of Boe was always so nice on Doctor Who. It's too bad John Barrowman hasn't had more of a career.

Edited by MurlocGurgle, Nov 14, 2012 @ 10:13 AM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 14, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I guess it depends on what you mean by more of a career for Barrowman. He's always said he doesn't want to be pigeonholed as only one thing. He's pretty diverse.

He had a interesing arc on Desperate Housewives as a villain a couple of years ago. Before Doctor Who he was a big deal in London West End musical theatre. He's a singer(and MMV but very good). He does concerts in the UK(none in the US). He's judged shows in the UK about singers and dancers. He's an occasional host for Attack of the Show on G4. He's written novels with his sister-Young adult adventure called Hollow Earth that he's already sold the TV rights for it and a Torchwood novel that he hopes will be the ground work for more Torchwood. Even if he wasn't everyone's cuppa in Torchwood he did also appear in 10 or so episodes of Doctor Who, and has his own action figures.

Seems like a pretty good career for him :).