Arrow

• Please log in to reply

14551 replies to this topic

dcinmb

dcinmb

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 8:40 AM

Or Felicity's stylist?  She has a terrific wardrobe, but her clothes are completely inappropriate for a corporate environment.  I mean, her dress had a cut out back with criss-crossing straps!  Isabel wasn't pulling accusations out of thin air.

The black dress was gorgeous but much like Rachel on "Suits," Felicity's work clothing is more suitable for clubbing and dinner parties than for the executive suite.

It really is tooo early for [Oliver and Felicity] to kiss but there was that moment were I really thought it was going to happen.  So much stuff going on between those too.

When they finally get around to kissing I sure hope Felicity's wearing A LOT less lipstick.

Kevin Alejandro continues to do sterling work.

ITA. He wasn't particularly memorable on Ugly Betty (until he "left") but I liked him on True Blood and loved him on Southland.

Edited by dcinmb, Jan 16, 2014 @ 8:41 AM.

insubordination

insubordination

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 8:46 AM

Even with the mask, how can people not know it's Oliver? It's ridiculous.

I think that every time. Police officers would be trained in facial recognition. Now I just dismiss it and say...oh it's a comic book thing.  I had to do that with almost every scene of 'Smallville'. This did seem like a Smallville 'freak of the week' episode, despite the well-known guest actor (with his glasses disguise).

Why in heck would Moira go to the rally? She ain't that popular.

LOL at whomever was relieved that Roy's scene was coming up. Maybe one of these days he'll turn into a werewolf and take to Thea's hair with his claws.

I don't know if I'm warming to the actress that plays Sarah...  Yes, she's oodles better than Laurel, but she seems to have a permanent, worried expression on her face and in her eyes that's hard to keep looking at. I guess Amell has the same though. Am I missing something 'cos everyone else seems to love her?

It was too early to kill off Shado. They could have co-existed. I don't know that Oliver was admitting that he chose Sarah; it seems ambiguous when you watch it. Maybe he just means that because he was in closer proximity to Sarah, that's how Ivo interpreted it. He must be blaming himself for the result and wishing that he'd thrown himself exactly between them. Ivo would've shot Shado regardless.

I suppose I 'ship Oliver and Felicity, but I don't actually want them to get together if that makes sense. It might ruin the dynamic. I agree their scenes were 'shipper pandering, but it was so cute to see Oliver learning to be a real boy. I liked the actress's shakey voice throughout his accusations. She is a caring person and is looking after comatose Barry, whom she hasn't known long. She's a sweetheart. It *was* like Oliver was kicking a (feisty) puppy.

The highlights of the ep were definitely Diggle in general, Slade's grabbing Ollie, and Oliver trapped with bow drawn and needing Felicity. I don't think she would've made that comment if she'd known just what a precarious position he was in. I liked his scolding 'Felicity!'

The motorcycle stunts were really cool and exciting with all the foot dragging and swerving.

Glad that annoying reporter came back. I like recurring extras. He has a bit of a Canadian accent if I'm not mistaken.

What accent does Det. Lance have? It sounds really cool. I'm Australian, so I've no idea how to identify it - just that it sounds different from the rest.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 8:50 AM

What accent does Det. Lance have? It sounds really cool. I'm Australian, so I've no idea how to identify it - just that it sounds different from the rest.

No idea.  Some generic feisty old cop accent?  It's not Boston, New York, or NJ, doesn't sound like Philly either but I think it's supposed to be east coast.

insubordination

insubordination

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 8:58 AM

Hmmm - feisty old cop accent. I dig it. 

Speaking of accents, I concur with the poster who cringes whenever someone says Mirakuru. Sometimes they have an odd try-hard Japanese- person-speaking-English twang. I can imagine the actors in their dressing rooms reading their scripts and saying: MI-ra-ku-ru, mi-RA-ku-ru, Mi-LA-ku-LU. These pretzels are making me thirsty.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:01 AM

Extended preview, looks like we actually get to see Deathstroke, not sure I like the mask.

http://www.spoilertv...t-extended.html

Edited by morrigan2575, Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:02 AM.

dcinmb

dcinmb

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:05 AM

No idea.  Some generic feisty old cop accent?  It's not Boston, New York, or NJ, doesn't sound like Philly either but I think it's supposed to be east coast.

I think it's just an English-guy-trying-to-sound-generically-American accent.

writersblock51

writersblock51

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

I've been giving a bit more thought to the stuff with Oliver on the island and his telling Sara he chose to save her.  I agree with the comment up thread that it's a bit of retcon.  I also agree that he's feeling incredibly guilty over Shado's death, though, really, we all know he couldn't save her.  But he doesn't know that and he just had that heartbreaking exchange with Slade about her hoodie.  Oliver still wears guilt like clothing - I wouldn't say like a security blanket but something he carries/wears all the time.  Pre-island Oliver felt no guilt whatsoever.  I think the minute he saw Sara disappear off the boat, it all kicked in and he hasn't been able to shake it - or even balance it with reason - since.

Paul Blackthorne, Det. Lance, is English.  He's done American accents in other roles (loved him as Harry Dresden, a Chicago wizard).  I pick up on some mid-western twinges with his Det. Lance, so maybe that comes from playing Dresden?  But that was some time ago, so I don't know.

Thanks for identifying the prescription.  Which maybe Det. Lance is taking as a muscle relaxant, since it's not a painkiller?

Still not seeing Laurel's spiral.  And if the EPs try to praise how great this episode did in showing her descent, then they are the ones on drugs.

One theory about Katie Cassidy's weight loss/change in appearance - it seems that she's been working on a movie in recent months, so perhaps that's connected?  And it coincides with having Laurel look like an addict now?  I'm just grasping for something that makes sense.

I disagree that the Oliver and Felicity scenes were shipper pandering.  I think this is how their relationship is moving - we've seen VERY little (ok, none) of Felicity's life outside of QC and Team Arrow.  She's finally doing something, that happens to be directly connected wtih caring for Barry, and Oliver has been dealing with something akin to his worst nightmare where Island Meets Starling City.  I'm glad he finally acknowledged, out loud, just how much he needs his team.  That's growth for Oliver.  And yes, he missed her.  And he admitted that, too.  I think that's how their dynamics are at this point.  If he'd fallen down on one knee and popped the question, or actually kissed her passionately, I would have thought it rushed and a bit ridiculous. 

Last year, Oliver acted like a prick to Diggle and he eventually apologized (and Felicity had something to do with that, calling him out on his BS).  This time, he acted like a jerk to Felicity and Diggle called him out on his BS.  I thought the Team Arrow scenes made complete sense.

And I'm one of the fans who happens to see growing feelings from Oliver about Felicity.  I think her feelings have been there all along, though now she seems to be distancing herself a bit and being open to liking someone else.  Someone had said Felicity knows she likes him but doesn't want to like him "in that way" because she thinks he unattainable for her.  And that's what I'm seeing.  She clearly cares about him - and she's not shy about showing that.  But he's not the only man she has feelings for, and she's not shy about showing that either.  It's Oliver's feelings that are pulling him around a bit.  And I think he's going to encourage her and Barry because, like he thinks she'd be happier - and safer - with somone else.  This isn't unlike how he encouraged Laurel and Tommy last year.

Sadly, I have to agree with the lack of excitment for Shrapnel.  I'm not sure what I was expecting from the Villain of the Week but I was underwhelmed.  Except for the explosions.  Good effects there.

Edited by writersblock51, Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:10 AM.

manbearpig

manbearpig

Couch Potato

Thanks for the preview, morrigan2575. The locations used on this show always impress me; great shot of Laurel and the Arrow on the roof as the train passes by.

Has KC been working on a movie though? The Scribbler was shot a while ago, I believe. I'm actually interested in seeing a trailer for that because there are a bunch of actors involved that I enjoy watching.

Edited by manbearpig, Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:10 AM.

insubordination

insubordination

Couch Potato

http://www.spoilertv...t-extended.html

"Laurel Lance is a problem; fix it for me."

That's what we said.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:14 AM

One theory about Katie Cassidy's weight loss/change in appearance - it seems that she's been working on a movie in recent months, so perhaps that's connected?  And it coincides with having Laurel look like an addict now?  I'm just grasping for something that makes sense.

Are you talking about The Scribbler?  If so, then no, that was filmed in 2012 before she started on S1 of Arrow, it's just been sitting in a dead zone since then, supposedly in post production.  

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

Laurel's storyline wasn't as annoying as I've come to expect, but still boring as hell.
]

You hit the nail on the head for the issues I have with Laurel. Her storylines are just so boring or she's boring. It's one of the those.

I'm loving the island scenes this season. Minus Shado's death, what is with the writers unable to let two females that are not related occupy the same space as the males? Is there a reason we couldn't have Oliver, Shado, Slade and Sara on the island. Is there a reason they couldn't have Shado die in the big battle where everyone thought the other died?

The island scenes in this ep actually interested me more than the present storyline. I'm interested to know more about it and what happens. The fact that the three in it are alive in the present adds to it. Whereas the present story, we already knew Blood was the bad guy so having Laruel go through all that trouble to tell us what we already know is not that interesting.

Caity Lotz is not an Oscar calibre actress by any means, she's new to acting since she spent most of her life as a dancer. I've seen her in only a couple of things and she managed to make care about her characters in a couple scenes which is the first part of acting. So I'm happy to give her time to improve like I did with Amell. Sara's entire storyline is much more interesting than most characters so that in turn makes her more interesting at least to me. As for the permant worry face, if you watch interviews with Caity, she's constantly smiling, so I'm thinking it's an acting choice for Sara. Because like Ollie, Sara doesn't have much to smile about. She probably is constantly worried.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:45 AM

I don't know if I'm warming to the actress that plays Sarah...  Yes, she's oodles better than Laurel, but she seems to have a permanent, worried expression on her face and in her eyes that's hard to keep looking at. I guess Amell has the same though. Am I missing something 'cos everyone else seems to love her?

I often find myself caring more for the writing for the character rather then the actor, and I think Sara has had some pretty good writing, and this is the main reason I love her. Caity's OK, but yes, she does have this weird worried face most of the time.. but it's still early to tell if it's her acting choice for the character or not. She didn't have much screen-time yet, I hope she grows into the role somewhat better with time, and has more to do on the show.

I don't know if Oliver saying he chose Sara is a retcon. It wasn't quite clear what really had happened from the way that scene was shot, IMHO.

And I don't ship Oliver and Felicity, yet I didn't see their scenes as pandering. I treat Olicity like any other relationship on the show, and I find it pretty okay so far. Certainly much better than Oliver/Laurel/Tommy triangle last season. I just don't want too much melodrama there. I guess I definitely prefer them to be a "slow burn", because I'm generally not interested in seeing romantic relationships after the couple gets together - it's boring at best and a soapy mess most of the time. Or it gets put on the backburner, which I don't see happening on a CW show.

Speaking about romance, Thea and Roy were actually cute, and I found myself (gasp!) liking Roy when he told that "You're the best thing in my life" speech to Thea. Isn't it funny that the only stable, functional couple on the show is the youngest one? (well, I'm not sure in which stage is Diggle's relationship with his ex-wife)

Is there a reason we couldn't have Oliver, Shado, Slade and Sara on the island?

Too much awesome concentrated in one place. Nobody could handle Laurel's story after that.

Edited by FurryFury, Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:48 AM.

writersblock51

writersblock51

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:46 AM

"Laurel Lance is a problem; fix it for me."

That's what we said.

*Snort laugh*

thanks for the preview, Morrigan!   Deathstroke!  And we get to see current Slade in a suit again.  Nice!

Not looking forward to Laurel being kidnapped again. Waaaay too soapy.

Quentin, Laurel and Blood are all drinking the Blind to Superhero punch because the mask does NOT hide his identity any better than the greasepaint did (though the other advantages for Oliver remain).  It's Lois Lane, Commissioner Gordon, etc all over again.  I just fanwank it because it's what we're supposed to do. *sigh*

Katie Cassidy - I didn't know what movie she'd been working on, my husband had mentioned her working on something else recently, so I'm guessing he checked her on IMDB or something.   There's another project listed as "Kill for Me," so maybe that's more recent?

I didn't know that Caity Lotz's background didn't include acting.  I'm impressed with how she's done here.  She's done well so far, though her chin/mouth movements are sort of distracting at times.  I haven't noticed it in the recent flashback episodes, it seemed to be a twitch-y thing when she was fighting emotions back in Starling City. 

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

thanks for the preview, Morrigan!   Deathstroke!  And we get to see current Slade in a suit again.  Nice!

I was hoping to see Present!Slade in the latest ep, actually, and was disappointed he wasn't in it. I could understand the writers, though - they need to establish Blood as a character before exploring his relationship with Slade.

Edited by FurryFury, Jan 16, 2014 @ 9:54 AM.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:17 AM

I didn't know that Caity Lotz's background didn't include acting.  I'm impressed with how she's done here.  She's done well so far, though her chin/mouth movements are sort of distracting at times.  I haven't noticed it in the recent flashback episodes, it seemed to be a twitch-y thing when she was fighting emotions back in Starling City.

Caity's a dancer (she toured with Lady Gaga) that started training as a stuntwoman before she decided to give acting a try. Which makes her psychically perfect to play an ass kicker. There's tons of vids on youtube that show off her athleticism. Her acting is decent enough for a CW show and her martial arts training helps make her believable as the Black Canary.

So not only does Laurel have huge shoes to fill because Sara's a much more awesome character. Katie Cassidy's acting has been lackluster since the beginning and she doesn't have the martial arts/stunt training that Caity Lotz has.

After rewatching the ep. Ollie knows that the Mirikuru causes deformation of the bones or the mind and he doesn't think it necessary to tell Roy that he could become deformed?

Edited by Sakura12, Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:20 AM.

quarks

quarks

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:21 AM

The talk about fan pandering made my thoughts go to a related topic, writer pandering, which is when I realized what my fundamental problem was with this most recent episode.

In the last two episodes before this one, Team Arrow Jr. was investigating Blood. They had good reasons: Sin knew one of the victims, and Roy has reason to believe that the police are not going to track down crimes in the Glades. And Roy, now that he got kidnapped and injected during his investigation, has really good reasons to keep investigating.

So, before Roy gets tied up and injected, Team Arrow Jr. heads to Laurel for help, which makes sense. Laurel fails to help and even ends up dating/hugging Blood.

And now, five weeks later, post VERY suspicious things happening during Roy's investigation, when Thea is rightfully wondering what is going on with Roy, when Roy is apparently wondering what is what is happening with him, suddenly the investigation shifts over to Laurel, the one person here WITHOUT the same emotional investment.  As she tells everybody, she doesn't have feelings for Blood beyond friendship and now slight paranoia; she didn't know the original victim; she didn't get injected with a substance that is changing her personality/physical abilities; she doesn't have a boyfriend who is changing right in front of her eyes right after he vanished to do some investigation.  That her father, who has previously shown a huge interest in protecting her from various bad boyfriends and has an emotional investment in needing to keep her safe -- ESPECIALLY now that he knows that her younger sister's terrible choice in men led to getting trained to be an assassin and now having to be on the run -- decided the guy was fine just added to the issue here.

So what it feels like is that that the writers said, crap, we need to give Laurel something to do.  Crap, we don't have a court case right now, and crap, Sara's not scheduled to return until February sweeps, so what can we do? I know!  We'll give her Team Arrow's investigation, and for a change also have her instead of her father, whose job is investigating, do the investigation!

Which is basically taking away a storyline from four characters who are invested in the storyline and have earned it to another character just because the other character needs to have something to do. That's pandering. And it's also why that storyline lacks the urgency it had back when Team Arrow Jr. was investigating it -- Sin knew the guy. He was a friend.  She wants justice for him.  Quentin doesn't know the guy, but he should be automatically suspicious of him.  So to have the one character who has no reason to be suspicious of Blood at all - he's only been very nice to her, and he pretty much immediately opened up about his early life story even though that was the wrong place and time, and her initial investigation turned up nothing -- just feels like, well, pandering.  Just not of the fan type. It's not her story; it's someone else's story. And that's why it felt off to me.

Back to the Felicity/Oliver fan pandering/not fan pandering -- I didn't see that as pandering, largely because although it was a Felicity/Oliver scene staged to have a "Oh, just kiss her already you idiot" moment, it was also very much an Oliver Grows Up moment and a Team Arrow moment. We saw the guy who is usually terrible at apologizing finally apologizing; we saw Oliver, who came back not trusting anyone, finally admit that he needs help and he relies on his team, and admit again that Diggle and Felicity are his partners. He's occasionally said this before with Diggle, but he also occasionally forgets, and I thought that was a nice moment. Along with his, wow, she has absolutely no idea that anyone could find her attractive, but I'm certainly not going to bring that up now. Shoulder touch!

Sakura12 -- I'm kinda wondering why Oliver hasn't said something to Roy too, but in his Oliver persona he'd have no reason to know what happened to Roy, and he might not want to let Roy know that his Arrow persona rescued the kid, and he doesn't have a good reason for explaining why Arrow would know about possibly getting deformed. It's weak, I know.  

Edited by quarks, Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:14 AM.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:27 AM

Caity's OK, but yes, she does have this weird worried face most of the time.. but it's still early to tell if it's her acting choice for the character or not.

I see this as an acting choice and think Sara has every reason to constantly be worried on the island. She's younger than Oliver and is barely 20-21 in the flashbacks now. She knows Ivo and his men and knows they want to kill her, she had a gun pointed to her head, watched Shado getting shot and killed, knows what the Mirakuru can do to Slade, and just saw Slade almost killing Oliver in front of her. She is not a hero yet in these flashbacks and I think she has every right to be a scared little girl now, and personally, I'd find it weird if she didn't worry.

Edited by LisaJ, Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:27 AM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

About the mask, it's been said before.  Even with a mask, people who knew Oliver would be able to recognize him from his chin stubble.  Lance should really have figured it out long before then.

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:37 AM

I was impressed that she was the only one to be suspicious of Blood.

This should be impossible for someone who is getting drugged up. She shouldn't be lucid enough to put two and two together but somehow she is.

And about KC's acting. How is she suppose to act like an addict who is also sharp enough to suss out a sheep in wolf's clothing. 

The writing for the character is all over the place. I can't blame the actress for picking one plot and sticking to it. What I saw was her making the acting choice of a character who is in the mind frame to see through bullshit. Now could she have done that while slurring her speech? I don't think so yet that is what the writers are saying the character is going through in interviews. 

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:42 AM

So what it feels like is that that the writers said, crap, we need to give Laurel something to do.  Crap, we don't have a court case right now, and crap, Sara's not scheduled to return until February sweeps, so what can we do? I know!  We'll give her Team Arrow's investigation, and for a change also have her instead of her father, whose job is investigating, do the investigation!

All while having a drug problem and supposedly having a downward spiral.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:51 AM

The big question is, is the drug problem going to continue or is the investigation into Blood? Only one of those connects her to the main plot, but the interviews seem to suggest it's the drug problem that's her big storyline. And that's the wrong choice if they want to make her the Black Canary.

quarks

quarks

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:56 AM

The writing for the character is all over the place. I can't blame the actress for picking one plot and sticking to it. What I saw was her making the acting choice of a character who is in the mind frame to see through bullshit. Now could she have done that while slurring her speech? 

And that's also where the issue of motivation comes in. The director can tell Sin's actress:  "Ok, you think your friend has been murdered, and the cops aren't looking into it. You're upset and angry and possibly a little scared about this. Go!"

The director has to tell Laurel's actress:  "Ok, because three teenagers came up to you with a very weak storyline you are now all suspicious of the good looking, hard working guy that everyone else is praising to the skies. Also thanks to what might be an error from the props department you are on Valium which should be mellowing you out. Go!"

Add to this my sense that the actress is just not as enthusiastic about comic book/supernatural stuff as most of the rest of the cast, except for arguably Susanna Thompson who is just, well, at my age, Hollywood jobs are few and far between, so I'll just go with it, and there's your motivation/acting issue.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:57 AM

Yay to finally watching an episode in real time!

Laurel, why the long face? (Good night folks, tip your waitress!)

Oh man. I don’t think her face seemed so long before she lost weight. I feel bad criticizing actresses and all but it was really hard to avoid this episode. Not to mention the acting being pretty bad at the end. And I can’t figure out why we’re supposed to be concerned she’s taking pills if she doesn’t ever act out of it.

It was take two of "Revealing too much Oliver" and "Oblivious due to the assumption she's on the friend ladder Felicity" from the end of Keep Your Enemies Closer. I love that she doesn't see it. Bodes sooooo well for lengthy enjoyment of this relationship.

That was a lovely scene!!

Big Dick Paul = Generically Handsome District Attorney Who I Thought Died in the Count Vertigo Episode But Apparently Not

Now that you mention it, I thought he died too so now I’m confused. But I’ve been watching these episodes out of order so I thought maybe I was confused. (Orphan Black sounds good, but I'm waiting till it shows up on Netflix to check it out)

Toy Sean: "You know if I drop this, everything goes boom?"Arrow: *shoots wire.*

That was awesome. Poor Simon! He looked so funny in this episode.

The scene at Verdant where Moira is praising Thea for her taking over Oliver's 'hobby' and his hurt expression. It was such a real family moment.

I liked that too. Such a ‘mom’ kind of moment.  Also, the oldest child always gets the short shrift in these things J

Edited by My Way, Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:58 AM.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

The writing for the character is all over the place. I can't blame the actress for picking one plot and sticking to it. What I saw was her making the acting choice of a character who is in the mind frame to see through bullshit. Now could she have done that while slurring her speech? I don't think so yet that is what the writers are saying the character is going through in interviews. 

The problem is, the one episode (204) where she was supposed to be plastered  (0.06 over the legal limit) she acted sober then too.  I can't put 100% of the blame on the writing when it's clear, even when written/directed to be trashed, she acted no different than any other scene in any episode she's been in.

I'm almost wondering if the point of everyone doubting her about Blood was supposed to be because Laurel was supposed to be displaying issues that would make people question her gut/judgement?   Her storyline reminded me of one of those bad Lifetime/Sci-Fi movies where a woman moves to a new town because of emotional trauma and starts experiencing crazy things but everyone acts normal so you can't tell if she's really seeing/experiencing these things or if she's actually crazy.  During those movies the woman gets progressively nuttier so the audience is caught up in the mystery.  

Here Laurel acts completely normal and is somehow more intuitive than people who have a reason to wonder (Sin, Roy, Thea, Team Arrow) but these are the ones that either don't care of are on his side.  So I'm left thinking that as someone up thread said, this was done just to give Laurel something A Plot related.  

Or, I'm left wondering if there is some acting missing that would tie everything together.  In 204/205 we were told repeatedly that something is "off" with Laurel, there were 2 Laurel/Oliver scenes, 1 Oliver/Lance and 1 Laurel/Lance scene that beat it into our heads that somethings is supposed to be wrong with Laurel but yet KC acted exactly the same, IMO.

So I can't put this 100% on the writers/producers and I can't put it 100% on the acting either.  So 50/50 split is the best I've got, the writing and the acting failed the character in this storyline. The writing/producers because they dropped it and only included it when convenient and the acting because she should be able to display the subtle signs of having a drug issue/problems even if it's not something discussed in that episode...that's what good actors are supposed to do, IMO.

It's like one of those recent articles said, the interviewer asked about Slade constantly clutching his fist during the monologue and Gueggenheim responded that yes it's important and it was something Manu came up with, which will be explained.   Visual clues are as important as written ones in this medium, IMO.

Edited by morrigan2575, Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:01 AM.

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:03 AM

Add to this my sense that the actress is just not as enthusiastic about comic book/supernatural stuff as most of the rest of the cast

This season maybe, but she was very enthusiastic about the possible direction for her character in season one. She is simply not giving interviews anymore. As for not being into supernatural, she's done a bit of work in the genre 

Yeah, where is her direction? We tend to heap it on the actors but they should have directions on he major character plots.  I assume they were okay with the way she chose to portray Laurel last night. 

The problem is, the one episode (204) where she was supposed to be plastered  (0.06 over the legal limit) she acted sober then too. 

Fair enough. How did such a big flaw in the script get past directors? I assume they have them in every scenes they are shooting? A thought, maybe she was sticking to the script.

Edited by 112288, Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:16 AM.

writersblock51

writersblock51

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:21 AM

quarks, you brought up excellent points as to why the Blood investigation transferred from Team Arrow Jr. to Laurel.  I hadn't even thought of that but you're absolutely right.  Roy should be thinking (and somehow conveying his thoughts to the audience) that he'd been shot with a needle after he'd been attacked while poking around in the doctor's office.  Even he can't be that dumb to not see the doc is connected.  And to then continue digging.  Or, perhaps we're to believe he's so freaked out by his body's changes, that he wants to leave it all alone until he can sort out what's happening to him?  that would sort of make sense.  but why aren't Sin and Thea still curious what happened to Sin's friend? 

I've mentioned before and I'll just add - nothing has been shown with Laurel to indicate she's spiraling out of control.  The props, the writing, and the acting - all have done a horrible job showing us her problems.

And while I love Quentin, sometimes the writing for him is just stupid (besides not recognizing Arrow as Oliver) - checking the phone lists in the open like that, enough that Laurel could see what they were... Not showing much suspicion about Laurel's new dating companion.  Quentin just dislikes/mistrusts rich guys?  Quentin figured out Sara being the Canary in about a minute, when they were sitting in the bar.  All the pieces clicked.  This I put on the writers - because I think the actor is more than capable of handling anything he does, well.  But he can't add lines to make his character make more sense.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:37 AM

I gave Quentin a pass on not recognizing  Arrow as the typical disguised super hero thing, but then they had him recognize Sara with barely any proof. What? How did he jump to that conclusion when he's been looking at Arrow for over a year and still doesn't know. Did Sara have thing for wearing black leather and beating up guys in her teenage delinquent days?

Most would assume Sara went to the Arrow and Felicity because they help people. Now if he figured out who she was after he saw her beat the crap out of people I would've bought that.

I think Roy and Sin will be taking over the Blood investigation when Laurel's strange drug addiction comes out. I think she's done with it after that.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

Did anyone ever see that episode of Matlock (yes, I'm about a zillion years old!) where Matlock is supposed to pass as a totally different person and his masterful disguise is...wait for it...wearing a pair of glasses and a small hat, and yet somehow NO ONE recognizes him?! At this point, people not recognizing Oliver under the mask that only obscures about half his face and a pair of cheap sunglasses is only the tiniest bit less laughable, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief...at least during episodes that happen to engage and entertain me more than this one did :) 

"Why the long face, Laurel?" is still cracking me up this morning, so kudos to the master snarker who thought of it. 

Like a couple of others, this was probably the first Arrow episode I've seen where I preferred the island scenes to the present day. And the island scenes weren't even all THAT compelling, though IslandOliver's hair was almost (almost!) as hilariously awful as OMG-what-HAPPENED-there?! Thea's. 

I think the actor who plays Roy is almost as bad as the actress who plays Laurel, but that's just me. 

Edited by MsTaken, Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:48 AM.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 11:59 AM

I think the actor who plays Roy is almost as bad as the actress who plays Laurel, but that's just me.

It's not just you. He's another that's not really pulling me into his story. His story is supposed be paralleling Slade's, but I don't see it. The drug Slade seemed to affect pretty quickly. He looks sickly and Manu is playing him like he's slightly out of it where you can see rage boiling just under the surface. Roy looks the same as he always does, just like Laurel is showing no changes in her character's behavior or personality.

The script and dialogue can say they are different, it's the actors job to actually show the changes.

That mask looks so funny on him. It looks like he's wearing a child's mask. Why is it so small? Sara's mask covers up half her face and she even has the added advantage of everyone thinking she's dead and not being an important billionare in the city. So she would need less of a disguise then he does.

I know they tried with the mask obscures his vision excuse, but pulling the hood over his head so low obscures his vision more than a tiny mask ever could. He'd have to turn his entire head around to see anything at his sides.

Edited by Sakura12, Jan 16, 2014 @ 12:05 PM.

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2014 @ 12:09 PM

The script and dialogue can say they are different, it's the actors job to actually show the changes

I agree the actors are responsible for bringing the script to life. But in KC's case, the script is contradicting itself.  It is asking her to play a person spiraling out of control due to drugs. At the same time, she is sharp enough to deduce that something is off about Blood. And have the presence of mind to set of an investigation. And follow through with it. Again I ask, should she do all of this with blurry eyed and slurring her words?

How the fuck is she suppose to play this character.