Arrow

• Please log in to reply

14579 replies to this topic

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

I don't think she lost the wig and reached for the bottle until she joined Birds of Prey, but I could be wrong.

Either way there's no doubt they'd do with it on the show so they can hold on to the whole super hero disguise aspect for the character, and probably play Black Canary's identity as a mystery for the audience who doesn't know the comic characters.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I don't think she lost the wig and reached for the bottle until she joined Birds of Prey, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right. When the Birds of Prey TV show premiered years ago I became aware of the character for the first time and I bought the trade paperbacks. In the earliest ones that weren't written by Gail Simone I think she still had the wig.

Edited by ElymianDucat, Jun 11, 2012 @ 1:03 PM.

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

The original Black Canary was brunette and wore a wig (and, for a time, a mask) when in costume. Her daughter wore a wig as well, but eventually dyed her short hair blonde when she was no longer concerned about maintaining a secret identity. She apparently has access to the BEST hair dye ever because her hair over time became ridiculously long and remained blonde! At one point Dinah was submerged in a regenerative Lazarus Pit, which pretty much rejuvenated her, restored a mutant sonic scream, and maybe turned her blonde, as it's rarely even alleged that she's a brunette any longer!
Since they're starting Ollie from scratch, it would be interesting to see them add a Black Canary who wasn't super-powered, like the original version. Katie Cassidy did some great fight scenes in Supernatural, so she could pull it off!
The trailers look terrific!

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 7:09 AM

I'm looking forward to this. I hated Smallville so I hope it doesn't try to emulate that ball of whinny teen angst. It certainly seems more adult than Smallville, so that's a positive. It also looks like it's aiming for more of a Batman Begins vibe, and by vibe, I mean it looks like the pilot is going to totally rip it off. But hey, if it's going to rip something off, at least it's something good.

In regards to the concerns about Black Canary, I'm willing to wait and see. I liked Katie Cassidy in Supernatural so I'm willing to give her a chance. I also think that considering Oliver seems to have just started his vigilante career, it's probably too early for another asskicking vigilante to show up. I just hope that they make her civilian identity a character in her own right and not someone who solely exists as a love interest.

Right, now my main concern is that Oliver looks like he's going to be killing people to keep his identity secret. That's extremely different from not only the Oliver Queen of lore but DC heroes in general who usually have a strict no kill rule. My theory has always been that non-powered vigilantes like Green Arrow and Batman could be completely shutdown or at least greatly hindered by the police if the police had the group incentive to do so. By holding true to the no kill rule, the police have less of a reason to turn against them and hunt them down. Being Judge, Jury, and Executioner would not be tolerated but a few broken bones can be forgiven. I don't know, I guess I'll just see how they handle it.

Another thing I saw in this new preview, and that has me very excited about this series, was what looks like a Deathstroke mask with an arrow through it. First, I would be very very excited and giddy if Slade Wilson was going to be a villain on this show. He's usually a Teen Titans villain but whatever. And second, is it possible this show is some kind of version of the DC Universe? Do other DC heroes/villains exist in this show apart from those that relate to Green Arrow? I'm giddy just thinking about it. I really really hope so.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

Do other DC heroes/villains exist in this show apart from those that relate to Green Arrow? I'm giddy just thinking about it. I really really hope so.

I really hope they do because I'd like to see some characters pop up that didn't get that chance when Smallville was on the air. I was never all that crazy about Green Arrow's Rogues Gallery but we'll see what happens. There's lots of things they could do but I imagine they probably won't get into that until later seasons(if they get that far) and just stick with establishing Green Arrow first. My guess is Dinah won't assume the Black Canary role until later on in the show as well. They'll probably put her through some trauma first before she gets to that point.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Do other DC heroes/villains exist in this show apart from those that relate to Green Arrow?

If I had to guess I would say that we'll probably see only the ones that have no superpowers of any kind.

ETA: By the way, does anybody know of the Bat-Embargo is still in effect?

Edited by ElymianDucat, Jun 12, 2012 @ 10:07 AM.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

So no sonic cry for Black Canary then? *pout*

As for embargoes, I know that at least for animated shows/movies all embargoes have been demolished since 2011. But in regards to live action... I'm not sure. Any DC character might theoretically be up for grabs but Warner Bros seem specifically protective of Batman so I doubt specifically he will make an appearance though I'd love it if he did. But his rogues gallery might be alright.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

So no sonic cry for Black Canary then? *pout*

If they take the money they save in special effects and use it to get the better choreographers for the action scenes, then I can live with it.

As for embargoes, I know that at least for animated shows/movies all embargoes have been demolished since 2011. But in regards to live action... I'm not sure. Any DC character might theoretically be up for grabs but Warner Bros seem specifically protective of Batman so I doubt specifically he will make an appearance though I'd love it if he did. But his rogues gallery might be alright.

I wasn't thinking about Batman himself, but more along the lines of other members of Bat Family. Most of Batman's rogues are too err... colorful for the tone I think this show is aiming at.

Slingblade

Slingblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 2:37 AM

I appreciate the fact that, based on the latest extended trailer, they seem to deal with Oliver's PTSD and the effect his time on the island had on him (like the scene where he's unconscious, his mother tries to rouse him and he attacks her out of impulse). I prefer the kind of storytelling where things have consequences and affect the characters rather than just being swept under the rug. Hopefully it's a sign that this IS the kind intelligent, aimed-at-adults show they claim it is.

If they take the money they save in special effects and use it to get the better choreographers for the action scenes, then I can live with it.

Agreed. I really hope they invest in some good choreographers and stunt doubles, that the actors have had some decent fight training (Amell claims he has), and that the directors know how to shoot action scenes. There's a dearth of good action shows on TV that actually deliver exciting hand-to-hand fights (like Alias and Nikita), rather than just repetitive gunfights. That's one of the main things I want to see on this show.

My main concern is that - again, like Batman - Ollie's a vigilante who only goes out at night, wearing a dark costume. Since he doesn't even have a mask on, like Batman, but only a hood, he'll probably want to stick to dark areas as well, to ensure no one gets a good look at his face. All of this means the action scenes are likely to be pretty dark, visually. When you can't see the fight moves properly, it somewhat puts to waste all the hard work that went into the choreography.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Having watched Maggie Q do her thing for two seasons on Nikita my standards for fight scenes are pretty high. That said, judging from the small snippets of fight scenes in the extended trailer I'd say that they look promising.

Kind of sucks that Oliver and Dinah's sister were doing the nasty behind her back though.

Slingblade

Slingblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

We've got a date for the series premiere:

THE CW NETWORK ANNOUNCES FALL 2012 PREMIERE DATES
[...]
ARROW Makes its Series Bow Wednesday, October 10

Source

So, the official countdown begins. About three and a half months... sigh.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Comic Con is coming up either this Friday or next with an Arrow panel as well as screening of the pilot. Hopefully we'll get some fun spoilers and info there.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Most reviews I read about the pilot have been positive so far. It's one of the new shows I plan to check this winter.

Slingblade

Slingblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

http://blastr.com/20...nfirms-the.php'>Arrow writer confirms it's Deathstroke's mask in the promo

That is good news. I've never read the comics, and wouldn't know a Deathstroke from a - well, any other villain. However, using some of the baddies from the source material is a good way to honor it and hopefully get its fans on board.

I did read something about Deathstroke being like the only DC villain to get his own comic series at some point, because he was that popular? He should be pretty badass, then. :)

This show needs to get here already. The wait feels even longer than it does for returning shows, because I can't even obsess over past episodes to make it through the summer. Sigh.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Speaking of possible villains, here are some roles that are being cast for the second episode:

• Spoiler
  • Spoiler
  • Spoiler
Now, I may be reading to much into it, but the when I read the second one, the first thing I though was
Spoiler

Slingblade

Slingblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

ElymianDucat, I've seen someone make the same speculation based on the casting call. It would be cool if you're right.

There's also a brief synopsis for episode 2:

Spoiler

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

The pilot was shown during Preview Night at CC last night and apparently it went over pretty well.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Brief clip from episode 1. I must admit I was leery of this when it was first announced, but if they're rolling like this, I'm in.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

I've just checked out the promos for this show, and I'm kind of intrigued.

I never got into Smallville, because it felt like it was at odds with who I always felt the young Clark Kent was. It seemed like an awkward premise, that just got more awkward as the show went on. But this one looks like it has some potential.

Quite a bit darker, and a huge departure from the comic book Oliver Queen (apart from the suggested womanising). Looks like it might be an enjoyable vigilante story with the requisite tortured anti-hero. Just hope it doesn't get too bogged down in romantic angst.

I did read something about Deathstroke being like the only DC villain to get his own comic series at some point, because he was that popular? He should be pretty badass, then. :)

He's very badass. And actually quite nuanced, for a comic book villain. I'd always associate him with being the Teen Titans' nemesis though, rather than having a link to Green Arrow. But he had a very complex relationship with them, given that his own son (and later his daughter) were actually members of the team.

An assassin with a very strict code of honour, which would be something the show could have a lot of fun with.

Spoiler

This, also, would be very cool.

One thing I'd love for this show, if it becomes a success, would be for Dick Grayson to show up at some point in the future (a couple of years in), as Nightwing, as I understand Green Arrow and others did in Smallville. I kind of feel like he needs to be rehabbed as a character, after the awful Chris O'Donnell portrayal in the two Joel Schumacher Batman movies.

There was a mooted Graysons show in the works, a couple of years back. Granted, the premise sounded pretty terrible, but it was still enough to excite me a little.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

Brief clip from episode 1. I must admit I was leery of this when it was first announced, but if they're rolling like this, I'm in.

That clip does look very cool. The fight scenes look about as good as what I'm accustomed to seeing on Nikita so that bodes well if they can keep it up.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I'm torn because while this seems like a show I want to watch I hate the CW so very much.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Do you hate it because of its rep for teeny bopper drama? The only other show I watch on the CW now is Nikita which is not in the usual vein of their other shows.

And it seems that Arrow is going to be employing a lot of this in his repertoire of skills. Crazy stuff.

Edited by rove3, Jul 13, 2012 @ 1:37 PM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

I'm torn because while this seems like a show I want to watch I hate the CW so very much.

I'm certainly not a CW fan either (didn't even like Nikita), but I'm definitely prepared to give this show a go. It looks like it'll have a lot of potential, as long as it doesn't succumb to those teen drama tropes the channel is so known for.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Do you hate it because of its rep for teeny bopper drama?

Yep, and thanks for providing that link, rove3.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

If GA fights Deathstroke or
Spoiler
it will be interesting to see if they stay true to the comics and basically have them totally outclassing him and beating him to within an inch of his life if they actually manage to get close to him.

I think it's one of the more interesting aspects of the comic book character that he's just not nearly as good as the elite hand-to-hand fighters and has to find ways to deal with people like Deathstroke.

Edited by Perfect Xero, Jul 15, 2012 @ 5:27 AM.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

Turns out
Spoiler
Even though I'm pretty familiar with the DC Universe, I've never heard of this character.

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

I'm certainly not a CW fan either (didn't even like Nikita), but I'm definitely prepared to give this show a go. It looks like it'll have a lot of potential, as long as it doesn't succumb to those teen drama tropes the channel is so known for.

I honestly think the CW is trying to change their branding with this show. The pilot actually came across as very adult to me. It's still has it's feet firmly based in the comic sensibility, but I didn't get any teen drama vibe from it at all. I really enjoyed it.

it will be interesting to see if they stay true to the comics and basically have them totally outclassing him and beating him to within an inch of his life if they actually manage to get close to him.

I don't know the source material at all, but
Spoiler

Edited by WynterWolf, Jul 14, 2012 @ 9:43 AM.

Slingblade

Slingblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Comic Con 2012 Arrow Panel Clip (obviously, minor spoilers)

The main three things I took from that:

1. They confirm, in so many words, that Laurel
Spoiler
. Awesome! (On that topic, I also read somewhere that Laurel works for the City Necessary Resources Initiative - a.k.a. CNRI. Not a coincidence, I'm guessing!)
2. Someone asked if Stephen's abs in the promos were CGI. The hilarity of that can't be stated enough.
3. I'm sure Katie is a nice person, but I have to say... she doesn't come off as particularly intelligent. In all the interviews with her I've seen/read, there hasn't been one interesting, thoughtful comment - it's always "I'm so excited for this project and I'm so honored to be here and work with these people and everything's awesome!". On the flip side, she's gorgeous with her new brown hair (it looked auburn in this clip because of the lighting which is even prettier), and she and Stephen definitely make an attractive couple.

Regardless of this specific panel, I noticed that Stephen's goatee seems longer than it did in the promos/clips we've seen so far. I wonder if he's growing it out since the character has a beard in the comics? It would be a nice touch, but let's hope he doesn't go overboard - actual beards aren't too attractive, IMHO.

Edited by Slingblade, Jul 16, 2012 @ 2:52 AM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

. They confirm, in so many words, that Laurel will

Spoiler
Awesome!

That will be very cool. When I saw the character's name, I was expecting
Spoiler

Turns out

Spoiler
Even though I'm pretty familiar with the DC Universe, I've never heard of this character.

I haven't either. Seems like she's only existed for a few years, but she is in Green Arrow's rogues gallery.

I really hope they get someone age appropriate to play Deathstroke, I must say. One of the great things about the character is that he's a grizzled old guy, but still ridiculously badass.

Edited by Danny Franks, Jul 14, 2012 @ 2:58 PM.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

I really hope they get someone age appropriate to play Deathstroke, I must say. One of the great things about the character is that he's a grizzled old guy, but still ridiculously badass.

Someone like this?