Men at Work: Hyde Made It Out of the 70s

• Please log in to reply

81 replies to this topic

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

I thought this was one of the weaker episodes. Tyler's story is that he's dating a woman in Brooklyn? Very weak sauce, but I did enjoy them using Neal and Amy's apartment as their halfway point. Gross for Neal and Amy, though.

Man, Gibbs and Milo get caught up in each other's sex lives so often, maybe they should just cut out the middlewoman?

"On a very special episode of Men at Work..."

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 12:33 PM

The whole Brooklyn versus Manhattan trope is soooooo played out. It's been over done. Move on. Not funny.

Brooklyn is where it's happening anyway, so she had the right idea.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 4:32 PM

For the most part I have found Season 2 to be disappointing. I thought the new boss would provide more, but that is sorely lacking. All of the guys are doing the same things they did last Season, except maybe for Tyler having a girlfriend for two episodes. The Gibbs and Milo sexcapades are getting a bit tiresome.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

The whole Brooklyn versus Manhattan trope is soooooo played out. 

It would have been funnier if she'd just lived in a different part of Manhattan. It can take three trains for me to get to my Upper West Side apartment if I'm on the Lower East Side. 

lillipad

lillipad

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

I loved the "Weekend at PJs" episode! And it included a mini Las Vegas reunion!

Darryl with a D and his moonshine made the episode.

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

I didn't see this show during season 1. I just started watching it and it is growing on me. Loved the Weekend at PJs.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 7:04 PM

J.K. Simmons and Kevin Corrigan in this ep? Loved both. 

amyslayer

amyslayer

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

That was a fun episode. Very '90s, but fun. Was surprised they could say "bullshit" on basic cable now.

Edited by amyslayer, Jun 7, 2013 @ 9:13 PM.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

Brooklyn is where it's happening anyway, so she had the right idea.

And IMO Tyler is not where anything's happening, so she definitely had the right idea. Although I guess technically breaking up was his idea... but still, she had the right idea in going along with it. :)

That was a fun episode. Very '90s, but fun. 

I liked "Weekend At P.J.'s" too. The writers do seem to occasionally be able to pull out funny, clever and original, as evidenced here - I wish they'd do it more consistently. I was expecting the newly-married couple to turn out to be Daryl, the moonshine guy, and Morgan, the crazy girl - they didn't interact for the entire episode and I thought we were going to find out about some bizarre chain of events that led to them hooking up, since they were both so flaky. Tyler and Milo never even occurred to me, so kudos to the writers.

The only thing that annoyed me was the writers' treatment of Neal, once again making him look like a loser. What was with Amy not standing up for him and demanding that they be able to sit together? That seemed very out of character for her, and if I were Neal I would have been very pissed off about it. 

But I gotta say just for the record, James Lesure looked hot in that suit.

Was surprised they could say "bullshit" on basic cable now.

Also "asshole" - I don't believe I've heard that before on basic cable either.

Edited by azzurro, Jun 8, 2013 @ 2:43 AM.

amyslayer

amyslayer

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

Tyler and Milo never even occurred to me, so kudos to the writers.

When PJ said "Pretty Girl and Hobo" got hitched, it took me a while. I thought he called Tyler "Rebecca."

xander874

xander874

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 10:15 AM

Was surprised they could say "bullshit" on basic cable now.

I think technically you can say anything on cable if you want. Only the networks are controlled by FCC rules regarding this (correct me if I'm wrong). The stations censor themselves so they don't have various groups on their backs. You only need to turn on most of FX original series to hear all of these words and more.

As for the show, it is fluff and I like the cast. Sometimes I need mindless and it works well.

Edited by xander874, Jun 10, 2013 @ 10:17 AM.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 1:22 PM

New season begins Wednesday!

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2014 @ 10:27 AM

Loved both plots, but the Tyler getting old cause of one gray hair was hilarious!

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2014 @ 4:33 PM

Really liked the opener. The 'Harry potter at a hogwarts reunion' line was the best

Loved seeing 'old tyler'

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2014 @ 6:52 PM

The cold opening with the beards was gold too.

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2014 @ 6:35 PM

This show's kind of mediocre but for some reasons one of my favourite sitcoms right now. I could not rationally justify this. 

I'm a bit disappointed they broke up Neil and Amy (and then made Amy pull that bitch move the next ep). While I enjoy the show's portrayal of the guys, the girls have been pretty one dimensional (though thankfully not totally stereotypical Two and a half Men tropes) and Amy was a nice side character. Boo. 

I also liked that one of the guys at least had a steady girlfriend and was ready for commitment (though I guess Milo was too before Lisa stomped on his heart). Not sure if I look forward to Single Neil.

Equally unjustifiable as my love of this show is the fact that Tyler is my favourite. 

ChojinRa

ChojinRa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2014 @ 8:56 PM

Saw the first episode of this, didn't care for it.

Saw the last episode of this, and I thought it was fuggin' hilarious.

I don't know what was different, but I honestly got more laughs out of this episode than any other sitcom episode I can remember recently. Weird.

Definitely will watch more, though.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2014 @ 12:33 AM

The show's definitely gotten better since it started. I thought the first few episodes were just awful but I kept watching because I like James Lesure. The writing improved through the first season and the show seems to have found its own unique sense of humor - it's primarily silly, to be sure, but it is pretty funny a lot of the time now. The addition of David Krumholtz has given me another reason to watch - I thought he was great in his serious role on Numb3rs, but he's hilarious here.

roamyn

roamyn

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2014 @ 5:23 AM

I no it doesn't apply here, But David Krumholz was fabulous in his guest stint on ER, when he kills Lucy.

I didn't no he was added to MAW. I'll have to give it a shot.

Gallifrey78

Gallifrey78

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 3:23 AM

Delurking this topic because the last episode (3x07) was hilarious. I always giggle when i watch Men at Work but this one, i died laughing. 

Milo sliding to answer his phone, even if it was obvious, had me pause the show to laugh my heart out.

James Lesure delivery of "I've been following her all night! I just wanted to introduce her to my little friend!" and his face after were spot on.

So many good things ! Oh and : "I was the only one who tried to escape up the chimney."

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2014 @ 9:42 AM

Best episode yet, by far.

xander874

xander874

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 10:32 AM

I thought this episode was great. When this show started, I thought Michael Cassidy (Tyler) was the weak link, but he has really grown into this role and has become my favorite (helps that he's oh-so pretty too).