The Carrie Diaries

• Please log in to reply

536 replies to this topic

Staleepisode

Staleepisode

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

Yuck. Ten minutes of this and I changed the channel. So not my Carrie Bradshaw!

Edited by Staleepisode, Jan 15, 2013 @ 11:00 AM.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 12:19 PM

Opening shot: NYC in the 80's and NO TWIN TOWERS! Not only that, but you can clearly see the new Freedom Tower under construction. Again, this is the very first visual in the series and they get it wrong.

And I guess since there's no continuity between this show and the series (her father left when she was young and she had no siblings) we won't be seeing the boyfriend character David Duchovny played.

BuggieGirl

BuggieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

I kinda loved it! I don't care about it not lining up with SatC cannon. I loved that show but this is a new show. I'd rather it do what's best for storytelling purposes than to line up 100% if it doesn't work for the narrative. The only thing from the original that kept popping into my mind was that Carrie had an abortion sometime, was that when she was 18 or was it in her 20s? Just wondering if the show would go there or if it's too far off to matter.

And KalEl, I noticed the twin towers thing too. Lame. I also thought they'd show them in the reflection of a car or something when Carrie first went into the city for the internship. Just something to reinforce that it was the 80s, not present day. There is PLENTY of stock footage of the towers for establishing shots.

Loved the little shout out to Carrie typing away in her NYC window by having her sit with the journals in her CT bedroom window. Cute. I also liked that her mom wrote and was literary enough to name her daughter Dorrit, presumably after the Dickens' character. Though I kind of laugh at naming your first kid Carrie and your second Dorrit. A little incongruous with each other.

Edited by BuggieGirl, Jan 15, 2013 @ 12:31 PM.

Red Soled Shoes

Red Soled Shoes

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

And KalEl, I noticed the twin towers thing too. Lame. I also thought they'd show them in the reflection of a car or something when Carrie first went into the city for the internship. Just something to reinforce that it was the 80s, not present day. There is PLENTY of stock footage of the towers for establishing shots.

I agree. I was looking for the Towers too, because every movie and TV show that took place in NYC before 9/11 makes a point to show them off. Hopefully they'll get it right in future episodes.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

Opening shot: NYC in the 80's and NO TWIN TOWERS!

I've only seen the first 10 minutes but this was the very first thing I noticed.

drivethroo

drivethroo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

Loved the little shout out to Carrie typing away in her NYC window by having her sit with the journals in her CT bedroom window. Cute. I also liked that her mom wrote and was literary enough to name her daughter Dorrit, presumably after the Dickens' character. Though I kind of laugh at naming your first kid Carrie and your second Dorrit. A little incongruous with each other.

Unless Daddy Bradshaw got to name kid #1 (Carrie) and Momma Bradshaw got to name kid #2 (Dorrit).

I don't take the changes from the books to TV/film too seriously unless it's such a big change it would change the direction/feel of the show. For example, I understand in the Carrie Diaries book, Carrie had 2 younger sisters, Missy & Dorrit. Obviously Missy wasn't that important of a character since she's not in the show, and the fact that Carrie has 2 younger sisters in TCD really doesn't impact Carrie in SATC. For all we know, by 1998 Dorrit was dead from drinking & drugging and Missy stayed in CT and never talked to Carrie. Daddy Bradshaw might have been dead by 1998 as well.

Not having footage of the Twin Towers IS a big change because we know they were there in 1984, as well as when SATC started, so having them absent...not cool.

The David Duchovny character (Jeremy) doesn't necessarily need to show up on TCD b/c Carrie never was that involved with him in HS, but it would be nice if Seth Bakeman showed up, since Carrie told Charlotte she lost her virginity to Seth Bakeman in 11th grade on the ping pong table.

BuggieGirl

BuggieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

For all we know, by 1998 Dorrit was dead from drinking & drugging and Missy stayed in CT and never talked to Carrie.

I thought this too. Especially when Carrie flipped out about having to always worry about her sister now that her mother's gone. Maybe she gets to a breaking point and gets sick of playing that role in the family, hence the never seeing a sister and father in the other show. That works for me.

StarForeman

StarForeman

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

I didn't really like the show, but maybe it will grow on me?

I did like that little Carrie wore a necklace with the letter C on it, a shout out to the Carrie necklace.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:46 PM

Hated the opening episode, but I'm 50 years old. I don't think they got the fashion style of the 1980s right. When SandtheC Carrie is working at Vogue with the creepy old guy who calls her Cookie, Carrie said something like her father had abandoned her and her mother. So I had a lot of trouble seeing a loving father in her teenaged years.

Like I said, I don't think Carries Diaries is supposed to appeal to me - I may give it another shot, but the differences are a little too jarring.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Hated the opening episode, but I'm 50 years old. I don't think they got the fashion style of the 1980s right. When SandtheC Carrie is working at Vogue with the creepy old guy who calls her Cookie, Carrie said something like her father had abandoned her and her mother. So I had a lot of trouble seeing a loving father in her teenaged years.

Exactly.

From SATC: "I couldn't help but wonder, how much does a father figure, figure?"

That episode aired over ten years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday, due mostly to my own issues. And it really explains how she put up with Big.

If the creators want to reach another demographic, I totally understand. But it seems disingenuous to then turn around and say that SATC doesn't matter. If it weren't for that show, we wouldn't know who Carrie Bradshaw was.

yakkydoodle

yakkydoodle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

I was wondering how the heck it's pronounced? Dor-eet? Dor-it? That will make all the difference. What are the origins of such an odd name?

I think it is an English name. Charles Dickens wrote a short story or maybe a novel about a character named Dorrit. So maybe Carrie's parents had an affection for Charles Dickens. He wrote A Christmas Carol, among other things.

drivethroo

drivethroo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Candace Bushnell is the one who created Carrie Bradshaw and wrote both SATC and TCD. She's the one who re-wrote Carrie's backstory for TCD after SATC aired and was done, so that's really on Candace Bushnell for re-writing Daddy Bradshaw back into the picture, not really on the writers. If she's cool with it, I'm cool with it too.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 4:43 PM

Wasn't Carrie already living in NYC by '84? I would think she was 16 about '81.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 5:28 PM

I think it was in the SATC series that she moved to NYC in her early 20s, right after college (and met the other women in the series shortly thereafter). I quickly did the math, and if she was 16 in 1984, she would have been 36 in 2004 when the series ended its run. That seems about right.

The point about scrunchies not being around in 1984 is right on. I remember wearing them in middle school through early high school. That was the late 1980s to very early 1990s.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

AS Robb's voice, mannerisms, face really remind me of Lindsay Lohan in such things as Freaky Friday and Mean Girls (not an insult -- just an observation).

No kidding, I kept thinking I was watching Mean Girls: Back to the '80s. Her voice and Lohan's are identical.

Hated the opening episode, but I'm 50 years old. I don't think they got the fashion style of the 1980s right.

I didn't hate it, but I don't think I'll watch again. I agree that the '80s aren't right; I was there. Carrie's and Dorrit's hair is all wrong. Naturally curly hair like that would have been pulled in a half pony, even pre-Debbie Gibson. They looked too new millennium. Same with the clothes; it's like a retread of '80s fashions in the 2000s instead of authentic '80s fashions. Fun, but not correct.

Candace Bushnell is the one who created Carrie Bradshaw and wrote both SATC and TCD. She's the one who re-wrote Carrie's backstory for TCD after SATC aired and was done, so that's really on Candace Bushnell for re-writing Daddy Bradshaw back into the picture, not really on the writers. If she's cool with it, I'm cool with it too.

I disagree. I mean, Bushnell can do whatever she wants with her characters, that's true. But I think she could have done a "Carrie Bradshaw's teen years" show and still remained authentic to the original show. Aren't the SATC fans her target market? Why annoy them?

Edited by Shermie, Jan 15, 2013 @ 5:36 PM.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

Does her father work in Manhattan? If so, why did they not take the train in? Did people really drive in to Manhattan in the 1980s or is it just a weird thing this show did? (In 1997, I long-distance dated a guy who lived on Long Island and he took the train in to the city every day.)

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

I think it was in the SATC series that she moved to NYC in her early 20s, right after college (and met the other women in the series shortly thereafter). I quickly did the math, and if she was 16 in 1984, she would have been 36 in 2004 when the series ended its run. That seems about right.

The point about scrunchies not being around in 1984 is right on. I remember wearing them in middle school through early high school. That was the late 1980s to very early 1990s.

Carrie was 38 when the series ended in 2004 meaning she would've been 18 in 1984, but the two year difference doesn't bother me.

I am trying to see this show as a different animal, a drama vs a comedy etc, I will give it a shot.

hicks964

hicks964

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

It's possible that the SATC Carrie changed her backstory (father leaving) because she no longer wanted to be identified with her past.

I wish this was the early years (in her 20's) b/c I think this show is just going to be too chaste due to having a 16 y.o. character.

Edited by hicks964, Jan 15, 2013 @ 6:24 PM.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

One thing about remembering any era is that we tend to label a decade's trends by the actual numbers - the '60s, the '80s, etc. But the fashions and other trends usually begin in the signature decade, get really popular near the end of it, and continue into the next one.

Example: what we think of as '50s fashions - A-line skirts, ponytails, letter sweaters, generally wholesome - began in the mid-50s and continued into the '60s. What we think of as '60s fashions - hippie wear like bell-bottoms, fringe, paisley, floppy hats - began in the mid-60s and continued into the '70s. And so on.

So what is considered quintessential '80s fashions didn't really take off until the middle of the decade and kept going well into the 1990s. Look in old newspapers and magazines for proof.

All this is to illustrate that when a show - like The Carrie Diaries - is supposed to be all about the '80s and is set in 1984, it's going to look wrong to those who were actually there. Even though the younger generation just thinks "1980s" and has a specific look in mind. That's probably why this show is not reflecting reality, but is showing what people think the reality was.

Red Soled Shoes

Red Soled Shoes

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 7:34 PM

I wish this was the early years (in her 20's) b/c I think this show is just going to be too chaste due to having a 16 y.o. character.

Yeah, especially considering this show is on The CW when SATC aired on the HBO and by virtue was so much more risque than this show can ever hope to be.

All this is to illustrate that when a show - like The Carrie Diaries - is supposed to be all about the '80s and is set in 1984, it's going to look wrong to those who were actually there. Even though the younger generation just thinks "1980s" and has a specific look in mind. That's probably why this show is not reflecting reality, but is showing what people think the reality was.

I was born in Dec 84, and have strong, nostalgic memories of the decade, but mostly from a late 80s/early 90s perspective as that is where my first memories begin. In tone sometimes I got a John Hughes vibe during the episode, which brought up a little bit of nostalgia, but the styling is all a bit too Marc Jacobs Fall 2009 new millenial re-telling of the 80s, as someone said above, to make the nostalgia stick.

The music works though. I love 80s music more than any other decade and I think it gives a great distinction between this show and all of the others on the CW that typically only play contemporary music.

However, I like seeing the little touches that show me this is still SATC Carrie, just young, suburban, un-jaded by the big city and all of the big bad men yet. The C necklace is a precursor to the Carrie one and damn if that scene of her writing by the window at the end didn't make me smile.

BuggieGirl

BuggieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

Did people really drive in to Manhattan in the 1980s or is it just a weird thing this show did?

I have a friend whose parents only ever drive into the city. They are probably around Carrie's dad's age. I think it was probably just an overprotective dad thing to do, since she did plan to take the train home after work. FYI, my friend's parents still drive into the city when they go to a Broadway show or something. Some people just prefer that for some reason.

Gland

Gland

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

My dad always drove in. We were in the NJ suburbs and there was no convenient train to get in. It was either bus or drive.

I couldn't bring myself to watch. I find the addition of the father/sister such a huge difference from what we know Carrie's backstory to be that it would be distracting. Even though it was something that was only mentioned briefly in SATC, it's pretty clear how much it impacted all of Carrie's later relationships with men, and how she formed a new family with her friends.

Also, the commercials for the show made it seem like they were trying to just take adult Carrie and make her into a teenager. Like trying to take her adult fashion sense, mannerisms, etc and just put them into the body of a teenager. Is that how it came across in the show?

cupFloweR

cupFloweR

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 12:36 AM

I must be a sap because when they opened up the mom's closet at the end, I thought nooooooooooo! I know you don't have to keep it as a shrine but you don't have to get rid of everything either, people. But hey, if that's what it takes for them to heal and move on, okay. I just hate when people think that grieving and moving on means you MUST purge the entire house of the dead person's presence by getting rid of all their belongings.

I thought this too! I was hoping that they were boxing everything up for storage at least..maybe put it in the attic? They couldn't possibly toss it could they!? It upsets me just thinking about such a thing.

I thought it was ridiculous that the first day, the first 5 minutes that she is in a store, she is approached by some fashion person who immediately falls in love with her and steals things and lets her know etc. If she were that cool, she wouldn't have talked to Carrie the way she did or have been so interested in her.

The one good thing for me, is that I hated the Carrie character in SATC. But I like this actress and she is making me like young Carrie better..so it makes me feel a little better about old Carrie. I will be watching this show again though..at least once more.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 1:15 AM

I enjoyed it. It has some ridiculous moments and nothing that happened surprised me, but it found it sweet. As I mentioned above, I didn't watch SATC; so for me this is just nice little teen show wraped in 80's nostalgia.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 2:18 AM

ETA: I kept thinking Carrie's love interest (the guy she swam with) was Trouty Mouth/Sam from Glee.

Oy! That's who he looks like! It was bugging me the entire time, but I couldn't think of who he resembled.

So what is considered quintessential '80s fashions didn't really take off until the middle of the decade and kept going well into the 1990s. Look in old newspapers and magazines for proof.

Very true. Why didn't they just look at some early '80s films for references? Valley Girl comes to mind. You were just starting to see some eighties trends in that film, but a lot of the look still had a late '70s vibe. Flashdance, too. They're just being lazy, or they intentionally want it to look like a hybrid of '80s fashion mixed with now. I don't dig that.

MariaMax

MariaMax

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 9:03 AM

Perhaps this is mean of me, but I think AS Robb is way too conventionally pretty to be Carrie.

One of the things I liked about SJP is that she has a really unique and distinctive look. In the SATC years, sometimes she looked absolutely gorgeous, but a lot of the time, she was fabulous, but not really pretty per se.

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

Perhaps this is mean of me, but I think AS Robb is way too conventionally pretty to be Carrie.

One of the things I liked about SJP is that she has a really unique and distinctive look. In the SATC years, sometimes she looked absolutely gorgeous, but a lot of the time, she was fabulous, but not really pretty per se.

Years of living and partying in the city (not to mention smoking) will do that to you! My recollection of the 1980s was nothing like this show, but it was fun seeing Martha Jones again!

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

It's like they threw the 80s fashion extremes into a blender and poured it out regardless of what year they were supposed to be in. The visual assault is offensive because not everyone was dressed and accessorized to such an extreme and it distracts from the actual story. Between the fashion, the music and the posters shown, it is just trying to hard to date itself.

Why didn't they just look at some early '80s films for references? Valley Girl comes to mind.

For real (which was a totally overused early 80s reply to anything). And that movie spread the Valley girl manner of speaking across the country.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

I never really watched SATC. Mainly because I'm a guy and I never really found it all that interesting. But I'm a sucker for Teen shows so I decided to give this a chance. My only reservation going in is that the audience knows how everything ends up. But with that said, I watched and was pleasently surprised. I thought AnnaSophia was a pretty good lead and I think they really found something in her love interest. I think his name was Sebastian. Other then that, I kind of like the idea of the little sister but her antics with the telephone were just so stupid to me that it completely took me out of the show. I'm glad that guy is going to be gay and not some angsty unrequited love interest for Carrie.

Finally, I have to wonder if they are going to unleash Chloe Bridge's (Donna) lips at any point.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Jan 16, 2013 @ 12:14 PM.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

As I mentioned above, I didn't watch SATC; so for me this is just nice little teen show wraped in 80's nostalgia.

Which is how this show should be viewed. They've made it clear they have no intention of trying to match the SATC continuity (Darren Star despised Bushnell so it makes no sense she wanted to create a different world for a character based on her) so it's no wonder she ignores h) so people should just stop bending over backwards to try and make it fit. Take it for what it is or walk away. Me, I'm walking away.

Edited by KalEl, Jan 16, 2013 @ 3:21 PM.