The Carrie Diaries

• Please log in to reply

536 replies to this topic

Jack Malloy

Jack Malloy

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Apologies if this thread has already been started but I looked fairly thoroughly and couldn't find it.

So. Sex and the City prequel. Teenaged Carrie Bradshaw in the '80s played by AnnaSophia Robb. What we thinking?

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 3:02 AM

I've liked AnnaSophia Robb since she was Samantha in An American Girl Holiday and Violet in the Charlie and the Factory remake, so I'm down. There's also hottie Austin Butler, and damned if I haven't been clamoring for an 80's drama for awhile. I was hoping we'd get that with the 80's Gossip Girl spin-off, but no dice.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

I didn't catch the trailers before they were pulled, but lookswise, I love her as Carrie. I need a trailer though stat!!

diorella78

diorella78

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

I'm curious. I read both prequel books and preferred the second. In a way, I'd rather more of the book series but I'll tune in. I'm most curious about how the series will evolve and how it will stray from SATC the show. The books were pretty faithful to the book version of SATC and I know a lot of readers were upset by its diversion from the show.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

I also prefered the second book over the first prequel book. However, I'm curious to see the show. And, I'm sure the fashions will be interesting/great.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

I have not read the prequel books, so I will have to judge the show against my weird notions of what Carrie was like as a teen. Lol. I am excited to see Austin Butler (sad to see him leave Switched at Birth though).

Jack Malloy

Jack Malloy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Already, I know there's a lot of complaints over the fact that Carrie has a father and a little sister in this version, while in the show apparently it was mentioned her father abandoned her family when she was young, and no siblings have been mentioned.

That said, with this being a premise in the book, and the fact that Sex and the City really didn't delve much into the backstories of the women, I can see them deciding to stay faithful to the book than a briefly touched upon backstory of Carrie only discussed in a single episode.

vinyl

vinyl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

When is this show supposed to premiere? and on what network?

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

On the CW, apparently as a mid-season show.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

I really liked the promos, and the use of "Goody Two Shoes". The only thing that made me roll my eyes was Carrie's utter shock at her 14-year old sister smoking pot. It's New York City in the 1980's. These kids should be knee-high in snow. I am so sick of TV shows acting like the most shocking and horrible thing a kid can do is smoke pot. Ugh.

Austin Butler looks hot as always, and I like the look of the Asian friend. Her hairstyle and dress almost exactly matches what the Token Asian on the Facts of Life looked like, which is a nice nod to the fashion of the time. I don't expect the show to hew too closely to what the early 1980's looked like, but it was nice to see some homages to the time period.

I also got a serious gay vibe from the teenaged guy who won't have sex with his girlfriend. If this were ABCFamily, I'd be positive, but because this is the CW I'm not as sure. Seriously, has there been a single gay teenager on The Vampire Diaries yet?

Edited by MethodActor05, Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:12 PM.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

I might check this out, just to see Carrie Bradshaw as a teenager. I can't get over the fact that her sister is named Dorritt, though. Seems kind of weird.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

I can't get over the fact that her sister is named Dorritt, though. Seems kind of weird.

I was wondering how the heck it's pronounced? Dor-eet? Dor-it? That will make all the difference. What are the origins of such an odd name?

And are all of the previews/trailers offline now? I'd love to see one!

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

The Carrie Diaries, Trailer

I like this. I've read complaints about how not-1984 this looks, but I think the show has done some nods to the 80's without being unflattering to the leads. I really liked her Asian friend's hair and look- it reminded me of 1980's stylings, but not the stereotypical look. People seem to forget that a lot of people wore preppy clothes and not the Valley Girl/Debbie Gibson look, and preppy clothing doesn't really change that much.

I think it comes closer to being right than the Gossip Girl version of 1983, in any event.

Edited by MethodActor05, Dec 30, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

I'll definitely be watching this one. No idea whether I'll like it or not.

ebonygoddess

ebonygoddess

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

A black person and a white person walk through a security scanner, and it's the white girl that gets stopped while the black one just strolls away? That wouldn't happen in 2013, much less the 80's. As someone who was a teenager in the 80's, I adore the soundtrack. Not too sure about the rest of it yet.

gabbyghoul

gabbyghoul

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

Only Carrie was carrying both a bag and a purse. And she was obviously younger. Much more likely to be a shoplifter than a woman in a just a fashionable coat with no bag.
But your point is still well taken about it being more realistic that they'd stop the black person.

That said, I don't think this show is for me. I think I must be either too old or just unwilling to see this pre-quel as realistic. Because I only know the TV show and not the book of "Sex and the City". The TV canon is what I know. This is just too far from that reality for me.

drivethroo

drivethroo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

I don't have a problem with some of the changes between The Carrie Diaries book (which I've never read) and the Carrie Diaries show, because Sex And The City (show) differs from Sex And The City (book) as well. I really don't think the changes (OMG CARRIE'S DAD IS THERE PLUS A SISTER!) really change the Carrie Bradshaw character or backstory too much because the SATC show didn't delve too much into Carrie's backstory.

I do wonder if the Seth Bateman character (the one Carrie loses her virginity to on the pool table in 11th grade--per SATC show) or the David Duchovny character will make any appearances.

Jupiter84

Jupiter84

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

It was very cute, not something I would put on my DVR, but if I happen to remember to watch it I would.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 10:46 PM

That said, I don't think this show is for me. I think I must be either too old or just unwilling to see this pre-quel as realistic. Because I only know the TV show and not the book of "Sex and the City". The TV canon is what I know. This is just too far from that reality for me.

Agreed. I remember the show devoting an entire episode to Carrie's abandonment issues brought on by her father leaving. I can't reconcile that to this show. I hated the SATC novel also.

Isn't Dorritt a the name of a literary character?

I thought young Carrie was well cast. I can really believe that she grew up to be SJP. And the voiceover sounds exactly like SJP.

I also thought I saw Rosie Larson from The Killing.

maryam

maryam

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

I liked it, esp the last min or so and the touches they put in. young Carrie walking down the street in her flashy clothes, you can easily see her growing into older Carrie doing the same walk. The shot of her in front of her window at the end, writing in a journal was also a great shout out.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

Is this show trying to tell me that nail polish remover did not exist in the 80's?

Why the heck would they use a remake of Material Girl and not Madonna's version? Perhaps Madonna would not give up the rights?

For those who enjoyed the music and the fashions, try and see the Valley Girl pilot which aired in the past couple of years (CW proposed Gossip Girl spinoff). I actually really, really enjoyed it but obviously the show was not picked up.

AS Robb's voice, mannerisms, face really remind me of Lindsay Lohan in such things as Freaky Friday and Mean Girls (not an insult -- just an observation).

I think that the girl who plays Dorritt is extraordinarily beautiful -- she played Puddle in Running Wilde.

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, Jan 14, 2013 @ 11:45 PM.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 12:19 AM

I enjoyed it for what it was. Not appointment television or anything, but I'd watch it if it were on and I happened to be around. However while I was a SATC fan to some degree, I'm just seeing this as a whole different entity all together. I don't really care if it doesn't make sense in the grown-up world of SATC or if there are continuity issues. I think that's kind of to be expected to some degree and I don't really think the show is expecting to appeal to the same demo as SATC, so I'm not sure how much the showrunners care if it pisses off SATC fans.

I mostly tuned in though cause I have always liked AnnaSophia Robb and she didn't disappoint me here.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:09 AM

I feel like they're not quite nailing the '80s the way I remember it. Everyone's hair is a little too frizz-free and well put together. For some reason, it really bugs me.

Is this show trying to tell me that nail polish remover did not exist in the 80's?

Wouldn't that have screwed up the leather, though?

I totally called that Carrie's friend from high school was gay the moment he spoke about that sweater. Then, they introduced the girlfriend seconds later, and I thought my gaydar was malfunctioning. Alas, by the end, I was reassured that I still had the gift.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:20 AM

I recorded the pilot, but I haven't watched yet. I'm not certain after reading the above if I want to. But I love 80's music and never really watched SATC so I have no continuity issues to distract me so I think I will eventually, but won't stay up tonight for it.

Isn't Dorritt a the name of a literary character?

Little Dorrit is a Dickens Novel.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:38 AM

I feel like they're not quite nailing the '80s the way I remember it. Everyone's hair is a little too frizz-free and well put together. For some reason, it really bugs me.

It wasn't that authentic and even I know that from my parents/aunts.

I love eighties stuff and Sex and the City but I'm not sure it's my thing. Maybe I'll try one more episode. The characters weren't endearing or witty. Jmho

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 4:14 AM

I totally called that Carrie's friend from high school was gay the moment he spoke about that sweater. Then, they introduced the girlfriend seconds later, and I thought my gaydar was malfunctioning. Alas, by the end, I was reassured that I still had the gift.

I also had a ping when Rosie Larsen's "boyfriend" (with whom she's "had sex") and the rest of the group were together. Something about his demeanor and his light-turquoise sweater.

I watched all of SATC on HBO (and ashamedly saw both movies) and still watch it in repeats on TBS and E!, because it's like crack. I've not read the books, but because the author Candace Bushnell is the executive producer, I'm quite bothered by the lack of continuity between this and the SATC series, but I don't know why.

At least I didn't eyeroll the whole time, so I can give it that. I don't for one second buy that a fashion editor or whatever wants to hang out with a 16-year-old and sends her a dress (even if she assumed she was a few years older--she doesn't look much older). The fashion wasn't offensive to me, and I was afraid it would before seeing the show. I agree they did a good job with that. Carrie is a few years older than me and far more entitled and wealthy; I couldn't afford nice preppy clothes like she and her friends wore, and the stuff some of my friends in middle school wore that I salivated over. The music felt a little heavy-handed, like "let's see how many early-'80s hits we can fit into an hour".

I'm going to give it at least another week. Admittedly, I feel dumb watching a show for teenagers when I'm well old enough to be the lead's mother.

ETA: I kept thinking Carrie's love interest (the guy she swam with) was Trouty Mouth/Sam from Glee.

Edited by bilgistic, Jan 15, 2013 @ 4:17 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 6:30 AM

Although there were a lot of 80s anachronisms (I lived through the 80s so I know that scrunchies were not popular in 1984 - those got big when Debbie Gibson started wearing that ponytail on top of her head in 1987, the one that Sassy magazine hypothesized was to receive alien signals), I had pretty low expectations after that horrible Gossip Girl attempt at a spin off which was MUCH worse with its attempts at 80s clothes, hair, etc. There were noticeable hits and misses in this episode but overall they did a much better job than that craptacular Gossip GIrl version of the 80s.

The thing about doing a show like this where the keep telling us over and over that it's 1984 is that 1984 was a real time so they need to do a better job of using things that were popular at that time (instead of just listing everything that existed before 2000 as "old" and throwing it in), especially if they think women who watched SATC are going to watch this show because those girls (like me) remember the 80s.

I was much younger than Carrie was in 1984 but I still remember it and I recall very clearly when certain things became trendy. Case in point: that snotty girl's sky high bangs. Girls were definitely doing the hairsprayed bangs in 1984 but they were fluffier and softer, a step away from the Farrah Fawcett wings. The taller version that she was sporting didn't become a thing until a few years later, like 1987 and even then it didn't look like a bumpit. Same deal with all the neon scrunchies and the crimped hair - all too early for 1984.

The plot itself was okay. I'm going to have to look at this as a separate show/story from what we know about Carrie's childhood from SATC or that will drive me crazy too (and I'm already halfway up a tree about the hair and clothes so I don't think I can stand to deal with more inconsistencies). I guess if they are assuming it's a bunch of Disney tweens who are watching this show, no one will notice all the errors in canon or be old enough to know about the hair/fashion mistakes.

I must be a sap because when they opened up the mom's closet at the end, I thought nooooooooooo! I know you don't have to keep it as a shrine but you don't have to get rid of everything either, people. But hey, if that's what it takes for them to heal and move on, okay. I just hate when people think that grieving and moving on means you MUST purge the entire house of the dead person's presence by getting rid of all their belongings.

ETA: The soundtrack was the best part of the episode but I agree that it felt like they were trying to cram as many songs in as possible. I know this was a pilot so they were trying to establish the tone and the setting, but slow your roll! No need to blow your entire wad of songs on the first episode.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Jan 15, 2013 @ 6:47 AM.

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 9:34 AM

The music felt a little heavy-handed, like "let's see how many early-'80s hits we can fit into an hour".

Although there were a lot of 80s anachronisms

I can't decide whether this bothered me or not. As someone who graduated from high school in the 80s, I have a pretty clear memory of what songs & fashions were popular when and it seems odd to see things I know where from the very early 80s (e.g. 1981's Just Can't Get Enough) to the mid-80s (Footloose & Material Girl) to almost the 90s (Pictures of You? They couldn't find any better early Cure songs?) in the same time frame. However, this is pretty much par for the course for any 80s TV show or movie so I suppose I should get used to it.

Overall though, I was pleasantly surprised and for now I'll be tuning back in. I thought that the show is at least set up to be a little more than your average angsty high school drama and AnnaSophia was very good as a young Carrie.

Red Soled Shoes

Red Soled Shoes

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 9:45 AM

I liked it. It's not appointment TV, I probably won't DVR it because I can see it piling up on my DVR, but I liked it nonetheless. It was MUCH better than I thought and ASRobb is incredibly charming. I hope the show does well.

Telebubba

Telebubba

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 10:54 AM

This might be my new favorite show, and it is already set up as a series recording in my DVR. AS Robb is amazing. Is it too late to give that girl a Golden Globe or Emmy or something? I'm only slightly bothered that it doesn't completely jive with the SATC series and 80's references, but I can totally see how teenager Carrie will eventually become late 30's to 40's Carrie. And I have to say that my favorite part of the whole pilot might be the slow motion hair pulling sister fight. I shared many of those with my own sister during the mid-eighties.