666 Park Avenue: John Locke, Man of Rent Control

• Please log in to reply

712 replies to this topic

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Probably one of my favorite premieres so far. A few issues and cliches, but I actually enjoyed it. I do find Gavin and Olivia to be much more interesting and fun to watch then the main couple which could be a problem, but I hope Jane and Henry grow on me. And while still a bit bland, Rachel Taylor was miles better here then in Charlie's Angels last season (although I still wish they would just let her use her normal, Australian accent. I think she's much better when she doesn't have to do an American accent.)

I feel awful, but during the sex scene between and the writer and his wife, I was thinking "Well, no wonder he's being tempted by hot girl across the street; his wife won't even take off her shirt for sex! It's his only chance to see any breasts!" Ah, network TV.

Terry O'Quinn was the highlight. I really loved how sinister and creepy he was, but he avoided being over-the-top or hammy about it. This is already making up for that awful character he played on Hawaii 5-0.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

I feel awful, but during the sex scene between and the writer and his wife, I was thinking "Well, no wonder he's being tempted by hot girl across the street; his wife won't even take off her shirt for sex! It's his only chance to see any breasts!" Ah, network TV.

I didn't even think of that. Well played.

As soon as he started looking out that window, I figured he'd eventually sleep with his hot neighbor. Man, dude's got a creeper stare.

Edited by ReiMehari, Sep 30, 2012 @ 11:23 PM.

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I definitely liked it a lot. Aside from the lawyer not reading the contract (I'll repeat what others have said - doh!), my biggest nitpick is that the Drake is the Ansonia, an UWS building. There aren't really any buildings that look like that on Park Avenue. I am glad that they addressed the rental thing right off though and acknowledged that all the other buildings in the area are co-ops, otherwise I'd be really annoyed that the Drake is supposed to be a rental building.

Overall, I just like Terry O'Quinn and I'll continue to watch because of him. Having said that, I was almost as impressed with Vanessa Williams. She can be a little sinister as well!

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

I know the violinist story was just to let the viewer know the building is sinister, but still, it didn't make sense for the violinist to go home to retrieve clothes and stuff only to break his most valuable commodity - the violin. If you know the building is evil, why go back?

I came to 666 for O'Quinn, but I'm staying for Vanessa. I will always love Terry, but I feel like I "know" his character already. He's the devil, or the devil's right hand man in a "Booth at the End" kinda way. There isn't much mystery there and I don't expect much character development considering that we've seen much of what he does in the pilot episode. Vanessa's character is far more mysterious and Williams is a good enough actress to get me intrigued about the character's past, ambitions, and motivations. I don't care to hear the Hero/Heroine couple's story or know much more about them just because they seem so damn boring, but the Dorans and the tenants all seem to have interesting stories to tell :)

Not to be bitchy or anything, but not everybody in Hollywood needs to be a blond. The architect is pretty, but it looks like she would be even more beautiful in her natural brunette. Right now, her blond just looks overprocessed and slightly yellow.

I'm in this for the long haul if for nothing else than to get answers to my questions. What playwright starts with a title before actually writing? How can you live in an expensive NY building and not afford curtains? Why would a person walk around an old building barefoot? Why would the contracts need to come from the lawyers several days after the couple moves in? Who doesn't at least skim the contract before signing? So many questions.

Edited: for clarity

Edited by GrrlPower, Oct 1, 2012 @ 3:30 AM.

SunshineFix

SunshineFix

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

I liked it but I feel like there are much better options on cable. Between True Blood, AHS and TWD, horror has no shortage on television. They also all deliver something that network television will never get away with.

My issue is that ABC dramas all seem to appear quite plastic. There's little to no grit to any of the characters or sets; everyone is extremely attractive and polished. It works for some of their primetime soaps, but I am not sure how it will work for a horror series.

I'll give it a few more watches and see how it turns out.

laprin

laprin

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Really enjoyed the premiere and I look forward to getting to know the characters more - especially Jane. She's bright and feisty. She also seems to possess some latent psychic abilities.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

Hey, Henry, if you're going for a job interview, you might want to shave first.
Did Rachael Taylor have brunette hair on Gray's Anatomy and Charlie's Angels? I never watched those shows. Yet again another Australian on US TV.

Edited by corvus13, Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:50 AM.

ztastviz

ztastviz

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

Not bad. It reminds me of a fast-paced, more in-your-face version of The Booth at the End. I want to see a little more before I jump in.

I really like Jane. Her, "No way can I afford this!" laugh made me laugh--been there, done that myself. I'm indifferent to the husband, because seriously what kind of lawyer signs a contract without reading it first? So, so stupid.

Nona is too freaking cute, bordering on unbelievably gorgeous!

I have no use for the playwright guy. I can already predict where his story is going end up. He is cute though.

Freckles101

Freckles101

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

So, the girl who stole Jane's necklace is totally Gavin and Olivia's daughter, right? She and Olivia both commented on how pretty it was, and I mean of course Olivia said she died, but it's not like that necessarily means anything.

Did Rachael Taylor have brunette hair on Gray's Anatomy and Charlie's Angels? I never watched those shows.

IDK about on Charlie's Angels, but she was blonde on Grey's Anatomy. Speaking of being blonde, it's funny to me that ABC now has two blonde female characters on different shows named Jane who could probably play sisters. (The other of course being Jane Kerkovich from Happy Endings)

Edited by Freckles101, Oct 1, 2012 @ 2:26 AM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 2:47 AM

I didn't watch Charlie's Angels but from all the promos Racheal Taylor was blond there as well.

I want Jack McCoy to come investigate the disappearance of his son.

Edited by biakbiak, Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:29 AM.

Maxymama

Maxymama

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 3:32 AM

So, the girl who stole Jane's necklace is totally Gavin and Olivia's daughter, right?

Interesting thought. I wonder if the daughter's death is what got Olivia involved with being devil's helper, like she made a deal too that snowballed into being Queen of the Damned Apartments.

I really like looking at the writer, but I agree his storyline is useless and I hate the wife.

The future of this show confuses me. Is it a season-long, slow seduction of Miss Architect and boyfriend to the dark side? That doesn't sound pleasant to watch or even interesting. Once Upon A Time was another show I couldn't figure out how it would go, and that turned out ok, so maybe I'll keep watching. I am unsure.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:03 AM

I think the kelpto girl is an angel, but more of an old testament one. I think at some point she gives everyone a way out, but it's a very painful way out.

Ant Ice

Ant Ice

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 6:01 AM

I liked this, but I didn't believe the main couple. I saw no chemistry between them, and the woman (Jane?) seemed to ham it up a little with her "gosh, is this real?" over-acting. Hopefully she will settle in over the next few episodes. Loved O'Quinn and Williams though!

Edited by Ant Ice, Oct 1, 2012 @ 7:17 AM.

ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

Count me in among those who quite liked the pilot. (Of course, anything that gives Vanessa Williams a chacne to be on my TV screen is OK by me!!)

I enjoy the premise, O'Quinn and Williams are fascinating to watch, and Dave Annable pulls his weight nicely with the 2 heavyweights.

The main blond chick seems to be the weak link. Is she supposed to a STRONG character or a WEAK character? She has that monment of sassiness with O'Quinn that got them the job, but even that seemed to lack.. something. And she was pretty forgettable for the most part otehrwise.

I enjoy the story with the playwright. I love that they made the SMOKING HOT Robert Buckley a “nerd”; good casting-against-type that really works in this case, at least for me.

On a “nerdy” note of my own, I was very surprised that they were allowed to bring back the dead. Isn’t that usually a BIG no-no on shows like this, since the dead are usually pretty inviolate on a show that (apparently) offers “Cosmic Levels” of conflict? (My fanwank theory is that either A) It was all in the husbands head (which seems unlikely, as he appeared to be taking her on a tour of NYC), or B) Her soul (for whatever reason) was already forfeit, and the Devil just “summoned her” for show.

Maxymama

Maxymama

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

I love that they made the SMOKING HOT Robert Buckley a “nerd”

I thought he was still smoking hot and not nerd-like in the least. It takes more than glasses to be a nerd in 2012, imo. (another reason I didn't like the wife, she referred to him as a nerd.)

Gibasi

Gibasi

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

To go further back I was getting more of a Rosemary's Baby vibe. I was not impressed with the pilot either. I think it will be a show that I dvr and never bother to actually watch until I finally delete it.

It's too bad because I really like Terry O'Quinn and Vanessa Williams.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

I thought he was still smoking hot and not nerd-like in the least. It takes more than glasses to be a nerd in 2012, imo. (another reason I didn't like the wife, she referred to him as a nerd.)

I think he looked more hipster than nerd.

Edited by Dilandau, Oct 1, 2012 @ 8:23 AM.

Etta Place

Etta Place

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

I'm on the fence after seeing the first episode. It's always hard to tell from the premiere, though, so I'll watch it again and see how it is after one or two more. As for the writer and his wife, she said he was "nerd cute," I think, and I'll let that slide because although it takes more than glasses to make a nerd, it would probably jog one's memory (she was reminding Jane what he looked like). Also on the topic of the writer's wife, it cracked me up (in a bad way) that the doorman didn't do anything the entire time the unfortunate wife was getting her head slammed in the elevator. He eventually ran up and said he'd called the police, but seriously?

And I know they'd been drinking at the symphony, but as the manager of the place who'd been informed the elevator was having an issue, I'd have been immediately concerned about my own ass as far as liability goes when I found out that someone had been injured.

One thing I love is how much more terrifying Terry O'Quinn's smile is than his sinister looks.

Maxymama

Maxymama

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

the doorman didn't do anything the entire time the unfortunate wife was getting her head slammed in the elevator. He eventually ran up and said he'd called the police, but seriously?

That was so weird. Is he eeeevil too, incompetent, or apathetic? And the elevator went up and down in 4-6 foot increments. I know it was broken and possessed, but the up and down thing was extra weird (since elevators don't do that).

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Did they say they were using Jane to get to Henry? So they don't really care about the unemployed architect? It seem they like getting the people that are in a position to influence others. Keeping the play write happy is more important than the photographer wife and having a lawyer of the mayor is very high up.

But I'm pretty sure unemployed architect with latent psychic abilities is the one that's going to discover it all, while they try to scare and injure her. This seems like an extremely watered down version of American Horror Story.

Dowel Jones

Dowel Jones

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

I have to go to the shallow end at least once, here. How does Terry O'Quinn expect to get a soul out of a lawyer?

FemaleViewer

FemaleViewer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I really liked this, it was just creepy enough and left me wanting more. Therefore, look for this to be cancelled soon...

moodyblue

moodyblue

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Iiked it enough to watch it again but not enough to schedule it on my dvr for series recording. It does give me something to watch on a Sunday night without getting to wrappped up in it. It did have a few obvious plot holes that left me rolling my eyes, like the contract signing without reading it first.

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Got a 2.2 rating on the 18/49 demo. Not a fantastic start.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I'd seen The Mob Doctor and yet this pilot is the worst thing that I've sat through in months. Every time I thought the script couldn't possibly be more weak, they just went from bad to worse again.

I never expected this to be as fun as American Horror Story was, but they weren't even trying. It's really sad if that is the best job Terry O'Quinn could get, he deserves better. At least it doesn't seem like he'll stay there for long - the ratings are already terrible (worse than Pan Am terrible) and it's only the pilot.

Edited by Prospero, Oct 1, 2012 @ 11:27 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I saw a preview before a movie a couple of weeks ago. Trying to pass the Ansonia, one of the most iconic buildings on Broadway, off as a Park Avenue building is laughable. Anyone who saw Single White Female probably remembers the building from that film. All the Terry O'Quinn & Vanessa Williams love in the world can't erase that kind of annoying oversight.

GrrlPower

GrrlPower

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

Did they say they were using Jane to get to Henry? So they don't really care about the unemployed architect? It seem they like getting the people that are in a position to influence others. Keeping the play write happy is more important than the photographer wife and having a lawyer of the mayor is very high up

I thought it was more like Vanessa's character saying that she liked Jane, then O'Quinn's character said Jane is just a pawn to get Henry. I got the feeling that Mrs. Doran was into Jane and Mr. Doran was into Henry. On the playwright and the photographer, since it is the photographer who had the successful career, I assumed it was her who made the deal with the Dorans.

I really liked this, it was just creepy enough and left me wanting more. Therefore, look for this to be cancelled soon...

I was thinking this too, but I didn't want to jinx it by typing it out loud. It is rare that I can find something to watch on network tv because it all seems so...[as someone above said] plastic. When I like something, it is usually a sign that that series is doomed :(

Trying to pass the Ansonia, one of the most iconic buildings on Broadway, off as a Park Avenue building is laughable. Anyone who saw Single White Female probably remembers the building from that film. All the Terry O'Quinn & Vanessa Williams love in the world can't erase that kind of annoying oversight.

I'm sure this is hella annoying for NY natives, but most viewers won't be from NY and I doubt many people remember buildings from movies. I can give them a pass on this one, especially since they did take the time to address the co-op issue.

Edited by GrrlPower, Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:04 PM.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

My issue is that ABC dramas all seem to appear quite plastic. There's little to no grit to any of the characters or sets; everyone is extremely attractive and polished. It works for some of their primetime soaps, but I am not sure how it will work for a horror series.

Yeah, exactly. With the exception of Vanessa Williams and O'Quinn, everyone on this show (especially the bleached blonde heroine) just seems so bland. I honestly thought that Hot Blonde Girl in Window across the street was Building Manager Blonde at first. And I'm not getting how this show will work: is it Rosemary's Baby Meets The Love Boat, where different guest-star tenants lose their souls every week? I think Ryan Murphy had the right idea for TV horror with AHS -- one major story arc per season.

Also on the topic of the writer's wife, it cracked me up (in a bad way) that the doorman didn't do anything the entire time the unfortunate wife was getting her head slammed in the elevator. He eventually ran up and said he'd called the police, but seriously?

I know, right? I don't know what seemed more fake, IMO: that elevator scene (where IRL the writer would sue the building for every penny they have) or the scene with the violinist who fled from the Devil's building, made it out the door, then STANDS THERE STARING while the building makes menacing noises and prepares to suck him back in. Oh wait, maybe it's Dave Annable's lawyer character who signs a legal contract without reading it...

Not to be bitchy or anything, but not everybody in Hollywood needs to be a blond. The architect is pretty, but it looks like she would be even more beautiful in her natural brunette. Right now, her blond just looks overprocessed and slightly yellow.

THANK YOU!! Christina Aguilera has more realistic color.

ScroogeKcuDcM

ScroogeKcuDcM

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

Yeah, I am praying we get at least a full season out of it. With the exception of one or two minor silly things, it was much better than the ads would have led one to believe.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

On a “nerdy” note of my own, I was very surprised that they were allowed to bring back the dead. Isn’t that usually a BIG no-no on shows like this, since the dead are usually pretty inviolate on a show that (apparently) offers “Cosmic Levels” of conflict? (My fanwank theory is that either A) It was all in the husbands head (which seems unlikely, as he appeared to be taking her on a tour of NYC), or B) Her soul (for whatever reason) was already forfeit, and the Devil just “summoned her” for show.

The formerly dead wife was a suicide, so presumably her soul was handily available in hell for O'Quinn to provide a brief return ticket. I doubt the offer could have been made for someone who went on the up elevator postmortem.