666 Park Avenue: John Locke, Man of Rent Control

• Please log in to reply

712 replies to this topic

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

“666 PARK AVENUE”

At the ominous address of 666 Park Avenue, anything you desire can be yours. Everyone has needs, desires and ambition. For the residents of The Drake, these will all be met, courtesy of the building’s mysterious owner, Gavin Doran (Terry O’Quinn). But every Faustian contract comes with a price. When Jane Van Veen (Rachael Taylor) and Henry Martin (Dave Annable), an idealistic young couple from the Midwest, are offered the opportunity to manage the historic building, they not only fall prey to the machinations of Doran and his mysterious wife, Olivia (Vanessa Williams), but unwittingly begin to experience the shadowy, supernatural forces within the building that imprison and endanger the lives of the residents inside. Sexy, seductive and inviting, The Drake maintains a dark hold over all of its residents, tempting them through their ambitions and desires, in this chilling new drama that’s home to an epic struggle of good versus evil.

http://beta.abc.go.c...666-park-avenue

ABC Sunday's at 10pm EST

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I'm in. Even though I'm not completely sold on the whole Devil's Advocate angle, I like the fact that ABC is always willing to take a swing at high-concept shows (as opposed to all the Lawyer-Cop MD's on rival networks) and I like all the actors (as a longtime viewer of Lost, Housewives, Ugly Betty, Brother and Sister).

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I should know by now that keeping moderate to low expectations is the key to avoiding TV disappointment, but I can't help it; I'm extremely excited about this show! As a LOST fanatic, they pretty much had me at the words "Terry O'Quinn" (in something other than Hawaii 5-0), but it sounds so intriguing overall that I'd watch even if he weren't in it.

I'm curious as to whether the tone will be dark or slightly campy---any guesses or preferences?

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

The ABC press release sounds as serious as a heart attack, so I suspect any camp will be unintentional.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

The last few seasons of Lost burned me but dammit, I know I'm gonna watch this. Locke as the Devil? How could I miss that?

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Terry O'Quinn (potentially playing the Devil no less) alone will make me give this a shot. With the exception of his stint on Hawaii 5-0 (where almost all the blame goes to the writing and not him), he can do no wrong in my eyes. Although, as a former Lost watcher, I do find it kind of funny that Terry/Locke is playing a more sinister character, while Michael Emerson/Ben Linus is currently a play a nicer (if still shades of gray) character on Person of Interest.

And thankfully, Rachel Taylor comes off much better here in the previews then her stint on Charlie's Angels. I don't think I'm still over that travesty.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

John Locke as the devil is very intriguing. I bet there will be a hero amongst the tenants and we will follow his journey to acceptance of being "good" and then eventually battle with Lockecifer...

I hope this show delivers like Revenge has. Now that it follows it, Sunday nights maybe be fixed on ABC from Once Upon A Time to Revenge to this...

Edited by djsunyc, May 17, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:38 AM

This looks like fun! John Locke and Vanessa Williams on my screen, oh yeah.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

This looks strangely interesting....and fun, and best of all according to my records its on Friday 10:00 which has nothing else on for me (except maybe a show or two on cable which can be moved to another time slot if needed.) Like djsunyc I may spend my Sundays on ABC.

And Vanessa Williams as Satan's wife....yeah I can see it.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, May 20, 2012 @ 4:40 PM.

Aurilly

Aurilly

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

The idea of Terry O'Quinn and Vanessa Williams as spouses caused an avalanche of awesome in my brain. Then I watched the clip and the two of them in the same shot? YESSSSSSS. I'm so excited. I love both of them so so so much. Though I wish Terry wasn't getting 'evil' roles because, I like him better playing nice. I loved him on Alias where he was the super logical and hardass foil to Jack Bristow, but never 'bad'.

I also hope the show does a good job of managing the camp and seriousness. What I've seen of Revenge shows it can be done, so here's to hoping. It's set in a similar building/social set as Ringer, but Ringer utterly failed at making itself fun to watch.

Speaking of the building, I am sick to death of shows using truly obvious and well-known Central Park West exteriors despite SPECIFICALLY SAYING they are set on Park Avenue. Park Avenue is NOT. ON. THE. PARK!!!!! Aaaaaaah! I can't even. So much distracting rage. Especially when it's in the bloody title of the show! I can't imagine the city has a restraining order on using random exterior shots of Park Avenue or on filming on Park Avenue, so what gives? And if you can't film there, then call the show 666 CPW or 666 Fifth Avenue or something!! People all over know what Fifth Avenue is, and even CPW (there was a Melrose Place wannabe show called CPW a few years back, I recall).

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

I love that we're starting the threads at the beginning of summer!

This was one of the pilots I was rooting for the hardest. My bet is that ABC is going for an FCC friendly version of American Horror Story. That 10pm timeslot will get them some latitude. Terry O'Quinn and Vanessa Williams as demonic husband and wife (at the very least, servants of Satan) is just genius casting.

Since Michael Emerson is also running around NYC in his show, I wonder - any chance of a guest shot? Pleeeaaaase? (If neither Terry nor Vanessa are actually playing the boss, I bet I know who could.)

Chrissytd

Chrissytd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

This is the one show I'm looking forward to this fall season. Hopefully, it doesn't disappoint.

atlpeach

atlpeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

hope this show delivers like Revenge has. Now that it follows it, Sunday nights maybe be fixed on ABC from Once Upon A Time to Revenge to this...

I was thinking the exact same thing! I love this kind of concept so I'm in for at least the first few episodes.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

John Locke as the devil is very intriguing.

Absolutely. Putting those eyes and eyebrows to work.

I wonder if it's a TV version of The Devil's Advocate? The trailer reminds me of it.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

This sounds a lot like The Devil's Advocate.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

I'm excited for this show. I'm currently 65% of the way through the book of the same name and I'm digging it. From the previews, I can see that the show is going to veer way off from the book, but it still looks great. ABC has a pretty good looking Sunday lineup on their hands.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

It does sound a lot like Devil's Advocate, but with fewer lawyers. I'm in because of O'Quinn and Williams, and the 'wish fulfillment' angle, though one of my pet wierdnesses has always been that if someone sells their soul, we should get to see them actually enjoy it for awhile before it all goes to, well, Hell... That was my problem with Death Becomes Her (even though both women were vile) and every version of The Firm, where Mitch never got to enjoy the perks of the law firm before he was threatened and coopted by the FBI (IMO, Grisham never licked the ending in any version).

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

though one of my pet wierdnesses has always been that if someone sells their soul, we should get to see them actually enjoy it for awhile before it all goes to, well, Hell...

There are definitely a string of characters who will be around for only an episode or two, just long enough to rise and then fall, like a Fantasy Island From Hell. (Don't get attached to anyone who's credited as a guest star.) But there are longer storylines being developed for the series regulars, where at least some of the residents will get to enjoy the potential benefits for a while.

From the previews, I can see that the show is going to veer way off from the book,

My understanding is they kept the title, plus the surname of one character (which was given to a different character) and that's about it [snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:48 PM.
Please don't use our site to promote your site

Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

This sounds a lot like The Devil's Advocate

Pacino is Pacino but TOQ won't chew the scenery like AP did in the movie. I'm so in for any Terry, but an evil Terry is very intriguing.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

I'm in because of O'Quinn and Williams

Me too, but which one will I watch live, and which one will I watch later in the week when I have time: The Mentalist or 666 Park Avenue? Decisions, decisions. Why does this feel like I'm making a deal with the devil? Hee hee.

Edited by shapeshifter, Sep 30, 2012 @ 6:55 PM.

ScroogeKcuDcM

ScroogeKcuDcM

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Wow. Great first ep. Solid acting and believable characters. I am hooked.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Oh, people. Always read a contract before you sign it. D'oh!

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

I'll give it a couple more episodes to settle but so far I'm distinctly unimpressed.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

My understanding is they kept the title, plus the surname of one character (which was given to a different character) and that's about it.

After watching the premiere I see that they've kept two more things: Jane's profession as an architect and the fact that the matriarch Doran lost a daughter.

When Gavin was telling that guy that he fulfills needs and how he allowed that guy to be with his wife, Gavin was giving me full Ursual "Poor Unfortnate Souls" vibe. For real.

Good premiere. I'm in the for the season.

Oh, people. Always read a contract before you sign it. D'oh!

Right?! What makes it worse is that Henry is a damn lawyer and should know that already.

Edited by IvyDarling, Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:03 PM.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

I enjoyed it. I'll be watching!

CTMSW

CTMSW

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I liked the first episode and will watch another one.

Bet the twist is that Vanessa Williams is the bad one and Locke is stuck doing her bidding.

gik910

gik910

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Pretty solid pilot. I'll be watching , at the very least for a few more episodes. Of course there were some "duh" moments from Jane but there was some really good stuff too. The creepy ghost in the basement when Jane was changing the light, the elevator slamming on Louise.

Like the little psychic-klepto.

Love Quinn & Williams!

I hope some of the effects with the building improve in further episodes, some of it was pretty cheestastic.

Also, seriously-read the flipping contracts!

But yeah, I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide...but it look pretty good so far.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

I enjoyed it, and will definitely be back next week.

maggiethebeagle

maggiethebeagle

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

I rather liked the pilot. Looking forward to more episodes.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

though one of my pet wierdnesses has always been that if someone sells their soul, we should get to see them actually enjoy it for awhile before it all goes to, well, Hell...

I guess we didn't see much of it, but that violinist got 10 years of success.

But I guess you meant from a viewer's standpoint?