Last Resort: Welcome, to Defector Island!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1009 replies to this topic

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:15 PM

I promised myself I wouldn't watch the finale unless Serrat died. I came here to check and, yeah, deleted the finale without bothering to watch it. I didn't need the annoyance.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

The big deal was that Pakistan was supposedly producing "suitcase nukes" that would be used by terrorists against the United States and its allies. Pakistan wasn't (at least not in the show's universe, who really knows about our own) producing them, so the inspector was murdered and the evidence was manufactured.

But - we already know there are terrorist groups hiding out in the outskirts of Pakistan. Finding suitcase nukes in some hidden cavern wouldn't really be news either. Certainly not enough to justify nuking an entire country.

IllluminatusCU

IllluminatusCU

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

But - we already know there are terrorist groups hiding out in the outskirts of Pakistan. Finding suitcase nukes in some hidden cavern wouldn't really be news either. Certainly not enough to justify nuking an entire country.

It wouldn't justify a nuclear first strike by itself, but providing nukes to terrorists is clearly an act of war. Also recall that the US initially tried to blame the Pakistanis for "sinking" the Colorado when the Illinois actually did it. Attacking our second strike capability would be another justification.

TBH though, I think the conspiracy's plan was hosed in the early going when the Colorado a) survived and b) revealed that it survived to the world. I think steps 2-6 never happened because of that, so we can only speculate what they were going to do next.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 6:47 PM

And the worst part of it is that I don't think any of the evidence Kylie gave Christine directly implicates the President. It's entirely possible the whole thing gets dumped on the SecDef and the President becomes a martyr over all this.

Except that it would give credence to the other conspirators currently sitting in jail (like Grace's dad) who could confirm a lot of the evidence about the President's crimes. Either that or (fan wank) Kylie gave Sam's wife more than just the video on the flash drive, as far as all of the evidence the group trying to overthrow the bad guys had gathered which Kylie kept a copy of in order to make sure it was not lost if things went tits up.

That said, the real person who ironically is boned in the aftermath of all of this is poor Barry Hopper. Manipulated by his country into murdering an innocent man and setting into motion Pakistan being nuked when he was wounded for his troubles and his fellow SEALs decided to save his life, with all but one SEAL surviving/not betraying him after the fact.

His only hope (given that his face was never shown on the video) would be that the President/Secretary of Defense basically erased erased all evidence of his existence (meaning no photographs of him exist that the government could leak to the media) once their scheme went tits up. But he's going to have to spend the rest of his life in hiding, alone and with the guilt of being made into a Judas Goat for the US Government's crimes.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 8:08 PM

I feel like James didn't have anything to do in the finale, which is sad. It's like he was barely there. The whole episode was pretty...much a waste of time? I figured it wouldn't be a complete ending, but it was an ending. I guess.

I'm just glad Marcus died. What a horrible character, imo. Clearly insane. I wasn't glad that they still tried to paint him a hero at the end. He wasn't a hero. Sorry.

The assassination was surprising.

I'm glad Christine was ok and she and Sam ended up together. I was not a fan of the possible pairing of Sam and Sophie. I never thought they should be together.

Ultimately, I'll miss Grace (thought she was great) and James (thought he was great when he wasn't with Tani).

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 11:49 PM

James was sidelined again due to the dreadfully boring Tani. Last week he told Grace he had her back and this week he's reduced to a couple of dumb scenes with Tani asking him to kill prospectors for annoying her brother. The brother that we still don't know or care about. Kind of like Tani. It was the dumbest way possible for poor James to go out. Kill, no don't kill. Then a shot of them watching the television in her bar is his happily ever after? Lame. Not to mention the fact that it can't be a happy ending for James anyway. He's a deserter. The last I knew he was an active Navy SEAL. He didn't resign from service, nor was he discharged. He's now AWOL with Tani. May the Lord save him from being bored to death with her because I certainly was bored to death. It was truly amazing how his character would be kick ass and enjoyable when involved with any of the military characters, to painful to watch when he had to share screen time with Tani.

I feel like Kylie died for nothing. There is nothing to say that the information on the flash drive was going to bring down the bad guys, but I'm sure she just wanted her revenge for her boyfriend's death. Poor Grace returned and had no one waiting for her. The most tragic was Sophie not being with Sam and stuck on that damn island with Serrat.

Some of the good guys died and a couple of bad ones died. But Serrat's ass made it to the end. It's like the showrunner was unaware of the complaints and problems regarding the show. Serrat never worked, nor did Tani. Yet Ryan thought they were wonderful. He loved Serrat and thought that James/Tani were one of the shows great romances. I want to believe that their "romance" was the result of network interference, otherwise I don't think that I will ever be able to trust Ryan's judgement again. It will definitely make me think twice before ever watching one of his shows again.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 1:14 AM

I feel like James didn't have anything to do in the finale, which is sad. It's like he was barely there. The whole episode was pretty...much a waste of time? I figured it wouldn't be a complete ending, but it was an ending. I guess.

Not to mention the fact that it can't be a happy ending for James anyway. He's a deserter. The last I knew he was an active Navy SEAL. He didn't resign from service, nor was he discharged. He's now AWOL with Tani.

More than likely the government has pretty much disowned his very existence at best, or faked his death in some fashion in order to keep people from finding out what was done by the SEALs. Plus, the episode where Sam's wife "died" pretty much stated that there is an entire community set up for people in the black ops/special forces community to go off the grid and James was already working on something.

Some of the good guys died and a couple of bad ones died. But Serrat's ass made it to the end. It's like the showrunner was unaware of the complaints and problems regarding the show. Serrat never worked, nor did Tani. Yet Ryan thought they were wonderful. He loved Serrat and thought that James/Tani were one of the shows great romances. I want to believe that their "romance" was the result of network interference, otherwise I don't think that I will ever be able to trust Ryan's judgement again. It will definitely make me think twice before ever watching one of his shows again.

The later wasn't that bad (James/Grace was the real God-awful hook-up) and if anything, you can probably blame it on ABC demanding a romantic subplot for their female demographics. And God knows it could have been worse: you honestly would have wanted Grace to be the one who falls for an island native, spending her time neglecting her duties to go running around with the guy she meets, wile Prosser and Chaplin yell at her that she either can have true love or have her career in the Navy and her vacilating between "Do I give up everything I worked for my entire life, for a guy I just met?" hand ringing, as if to say that the only way a woman can be with her soulmate is if she throws away her career and life?

The former probably has to do with the fact that the show needed a shit stirrer and Shawn Ryan knowing that he needed a foil for Chaplin who he couldn't just kill. I agree they fucked up by having Serratt cross the moral event horizon like he did killing the soldier, but you obviously have never watched a show run by Shawn Ryan. He loves morally ambiguous bastard characters who forever manage to skate on their sins.

And besides, what he did to Serrat in the end was far far crueler to him than having him take a bullet to the head. He basically lost the love and friendship of the only person who he cared about. That will hurt him far more and for far longer, than him being killed.

Edited by BakerX2, Jan 29, 2013 @ 1:20 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

Serrat is still running around with his unbuttoned shirt being the Head Island Thug. Ugh. Reminded me of this:

GRANDFATHER You want me to read this or not?
THE KID
Who gets Humperdinck?
GRANDFATHER
I don't understand.
THE KID
Who kills Prince Humperdinck? At the end, somebody's got to do it. Is it Inigo? Who?
GRANDFATHER
Nobody. Nobody kills him. He lives.
THE KID
You mean he wins? Jesus, Grandpa! What did you read me this thing for?

I felt like I was getting whiplash during the first half of the episode. Mutiny! Now the mutineers are staging their own sub-mutiny! I don't know much about submarines, but I always assumed that shooting guns on a submarine was a bad idea. Apparently it's okay!

Kylie shooting her boyfriend was very wannabe Buffy killing Angel in S2, except not at all sad or tragic or anything. How many times did we see him throughout the series before the finale anyway? Two or three times at most? I am sure that it's difficult to take a life, especially someone who you know (and especially when that person knows he has been made a sacrificial lamb) but in order for me to feel any sort of emotion, I have to give a crap about that character and his relationship with the person being pressured to kill him. All I knew was that this guy apparently slept with Kylie and then got really drunk before she shot him. Is that supposed to make me feel really bad?

Seeing what they originally had planned, it's better that the show ended before they had a chance to fuck it up even more. I would have been raging if Kylie betrayed Christine. That was one of the only good relationships on the entire show.

One of the good things about the finale was seeing Marcus kill that gross rapist without any hesitation. I did laugh a little when Marcus and XO had their discussion about who was crazier and then got on the overhead system to ask Anders his opinion on the matter. At that point, they were resigned to death and a little punch drunk. The only thing I really REALLY wanted/expected from the finale was someone finally putting a bullet in Serrat. You couldn't even give me that, show? Could you at least have shown someone forcibly putting a turtleneck on him?

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 10:06 AM

I stand by my belief had they envisioned this as a 10 episode or so show with a definite ending, cut out all the soap opera side stories, and made it strictly a military/political based thriller, it could have been a show that would have remained memorable for many years. Instead, they wanted to "soap opera" it and have it go on and on and on. The best episodes were those on the sub when they were in "military" mode having to decide whether to fire nukes, or sink US ships, or whatever, not when they were shacking up with the babes on the island or doing business with the local crime lord.

Edited by GoMocs, Jan 30, 2013 @ 10:07 AM.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

I don't think adding relationships to the story was a problem per se. What made them a problem was the fact that Tani was the worst character on the show and brought nothing to the table. And I actually think Sam/Sophie could have really worked had they not given Sam a wife at home. There was plenty of room in this show to have some relationship drama but they mismanaged it.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

The only reason I started watching this show was because of Andre Braugher (us Frank Pembleton fans are a pretty loyal lot), but it was good enough to hold my attention the whole way through. I definitely think it was more of a miniseries and we got just the right amount of episodes. I don't see how it would have avoided becoming anything but totally ridiculous at 22 episodes.

I wasn't disappointed by the ending. I liked how Chaplin went out; yes, he veered into crazytown on a few occasions, but overall I thought he was an honorable career navy man who literally went down with the ship. Loved how he handled crazyrapist guy who apparently thought he was going to get a showdown, and instead just got a quick bullet to the head. And speaking of such, agree with everyone that Serrat should have been offed early on. Why Marcus didn't plug him after he killed one of his own men, I'll never know. That made no sense.

But in the finale we got a badass Grace shooting up the joint, which was fun to watch. And I'd watch Cortez read the phone book. She's hot.

atomationage

atomationage

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:33 PM

The only reason I started watching this show was because of Andre Braugher (us Frank Pembleton fans are a pretty loyal lot), but it was good enough to hold my attention the whole way through. I definitely think it was more of a miniseries and we got just the right amount of episodes. I don't see how it would have avoided becoming anything but totally ridiculous at 22 episodes.

I agree. Andre Braugher was terrific. He usually is. I liked Scott Speedman also. I just watched the finale. I'm not even sure about all of what happened on the sub, since I don't remember all of the characters. I could not believe when Kylie pulled out the gun and shot the president. What an ending to a gem of a series! One thing about the show for me, was that the female characters all stood out as individuals, but a lot of the guys were interchangeable.

Edited by atomationage, Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:33 PM.

nathanpastel

nathanpastel

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

I'm sad that Last Resort ended but happy that Sam/Sophie aka XOPHIE
still shared a few moments "together" before it was all over!

I'm gonna fanwank that after a few straight months of boring bland blonde Christine,
Sam still can't get Sophie outta his mind and goes back to Sainte Marina for her. Sigh.

HyacinthBucket

HyacinthBucket

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

ElectricBoogalo, your "Princess Bride" reference fits perfectly! And now that you sent me down that road, I'll add that once James got tired of the vacuous Tani, he would make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.

I'm gonna fanwank that after a few straight months of boring bland blonde Christine,
Sam still can't get Sophie outta his mind and goes back to Sainte Marina for her. Sigh.

I agree that Sophie was a much more dynamic character than Christine, as Grace was much more dynamic than Tani, yet both Christine and Tani got the guys in the end. I guess for me it was the actresses themselves that dictated my preferences.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 1:15 AM

Kylie shooting her boyfriend was very wannabe Buffy killing Angel in S2, except not at all sad or tragic or anything. How many times did we see him throughout the series before the finale anyway? Two or three times at most? I am sure that it's difficult to take a life, especially someone who you know (and especially when that person knows he has been made a sacrificial lamb) but in order for me to feel any sort of emotion, I have to give a crap about that character and his relationship with the person being pressured to kill him. All I knew was that this guy apparently slept with Kylie and then got really drunk before she shot him. Is that supposed to make me feel really bad?

IIRC (and someone correct me if I'm misremembering) but the boyfriend was in the earlier episodes and basically screwed Kylie over, forcing her into the position that led her to hook up with Christine to fight the conspiracy....

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 1:19 AM

He's the one who stole the hard drive from her safe and gave it to her father, right? Again, not exactly someone who made me feel sad about his impending doom.

shura

shura

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:05 AM

Re: Kylie passing the "test" of killing the boyfriend. How could her father (or whoever was administering that test) know that she passed it? Just because the guy is found dead doesn't mean that she did it and/or meant it, and it certainly could not prove that she is "one of us" and should be granted access to the evil president unfrisked.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 3:43 PM

There were goons sent by the conspiracy at the motel where Kylie and her boyfriend were at, waiting for her to come out after she did the deed and presumably dispose of the corpse. Her dad also basically saved her from being arrested when the coup failed and told her that rather than killing her himself, he was going to spare her and "reward" her for showing initiative via organizing the coup (which showed that she had potential for membership in the conspiracy) by bringing her into the fold.

My guess is that the whole "test" thing was make sure she could be trusted/turned to the side of evil, via having her kill the co-conspirator who was closest to her. Had she refused, she would have been killed along with the ex-boyfriend by the goons and written off by the conspiracy as a yet another enemy they killed.

Arco

Arco

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 4:30 PM

I miss this show, with all its failings.

Having been around the military all of my life, I can say that real life in the military is much more of a soap opera than depicted on this show.

Wish that if Serrat wasn't killed, at least someone could have pulled a gun on him to make him button up his shirt--or force a turtleneck on him, as someone else suggested!

James did seem marginalized in the finale.

I thought that it would have been better for the captain to have survived & undergone a trial for treason so that the reasons (although I didn't agree with all of his decisions) for his actions could have been publicized.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 3:32 AM

I don't think so; it was never stated outright but Chaplin was never going to let the crew go home so long as he was alive and having him die opened the door for the rest of the group getting their happy ending return home. Had he not gone down with the sub, he would have used the debacle with the sub nearly being sold to the Chinese as justification to keep going down the road he was going down.