1-22: "A Land Without Magic" 2012.05.13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

472 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Season finale.

Moderator note: Season finale threads tend to move very quickly. In consideration of your fellow posters, please stay on topic. This will make it easier for everyone to follow and join the discussion. Discussion about the season as a whole should go in the "All Season" thread.

As usual, please spell out names and places.

Senna

Senna

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Well, that was an interesting finale.

Regina of all people is the one to convince/confirm to Emma the curse is real -- now that I didn't see coming.

Nor did I expect that Emma would be fighting a *dragon* underneath Storybrooke (how does that work anyway?). As funny as it was to see her trying to fight Maleficent with a gun, it did seem a little, erm, contrived. Anyway, Maleficent didn't really do anything evil enough (in this series, anyway) to make me want to see her dispatched.

I didn't think Henry would actually die anyway, but the curse-breaking kiss was quite well done. Definitely my favorite scene (it stole the fire from Charming and Snow's kiss).

So glad to see Belle and Rumple/Mr. Gold reunited, though it looks like he may be taking over as the new big bad ...

stopeslite

stopeslite

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

And...Rumple has learned nothing. ARGH.

Everything I would have wanted from the finale, though. Everything that was going on was nicely wrapped up in case it doesn't get renewed, but enough of interest to start out another season should they get it.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Ah! Magic is coming. I'm so down for season 2. It's going to be really interesting seeing the combination of everyone knowing their true selves plus the return of magic. I'm hoping that season 2 will lead to Emma not making dumb decisions about who to trust. Giving gold the GG was idiotic at best.

And of course Emma would wake up Henry with a kiss.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Snow and Charming's Storybrook reunion totally made me cry. Gold's reaction to Belle turning up came a close second.

I love this show. Can't wait for Season 2!

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Oh snap!!! It's on!
Rumple will never learn will he?
What a wonderful finale on Mother's Day. I cannot wait to see how Snow and Charming took back the kingdom.

xqueenfrostine

xqueenfrostine

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Wow. I do not know how I feel about the finale. I really didn't think the curse was going to be broken and i'm not sure that I like that it was (I guess it depends how next season turns out), but I'm somewhat pleased to see that Rumple appears to be next season's Big Bad. His bringing magic to our world makes it seem more clear than ever that he didn't learn a damn thing from the loss of his son.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Everything I would have wanted from the finale, though. Everything that was going on was nicely wrapped up in case it doesn't get renewed, but enough of interest to start out another season should they get it.

It's been renewed, so we'll definitely get the next chapter. So this should be interesting. Magic Gold versus Magic Regina in the real world? Bring it!

Just for fun, I thought it would be really funny if Emma still didn't believe after fighting a dragon.

And we didn't get to see if August's puppet-ness was reversed!

Edited by Chicken Wing, May 13, 2012 @ 8:08 PM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

IN-TENSE

I need a little help tho - my cable cut out twice during the show. What happened after Rump told Charming he had his mother's ring - the cable cut out till after the commercials.

Secondly, what happened after the dragon's eyes opened up and then Emma was shooting her gun at it?

Magic is coming - does that mean a new baddie is on the way? Or does that mean just magic is back? Rumpty rump - is his endgame Bae? They may need to cast a pretty big name for Bae...

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

That was pretty epic. The first ten minutes particularly were amazing. I especially liked how they set up the second season in Fairytale Land--Charming and Snow waging a guerilla war against the King and Evil Queen hadn't occurred to me, but it's a great storyline. But the whole thing was very well done, and next season in Storybrooke also looks to be very, very interesting. Easily Jennifer Morrison's best work of the season--in her confrontation with Regina and then when Henry died, she was great. Still love Charming/Snow, though I thought their reunion in the real world was a little anticlimactic.

Didn't see Belle and Rumple's reunion coming, but loved it. I actually totally thought Jefferson was going to kidnap/hurt Henry, so was surprised when that didn't happen. Loved seeing Graham again!

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Did Pinocchio get better when the curse was broken?

GhostJack21

GhostJack21

Loyal Viewer

His bringing magic to our world makes it seem more clear than ever that he didn't learn a damn thing from the loss of his son.

I think he brought magic to the world, so that he could use it to find his son.

stopeslite

stopeslite

Fanatic

I was a little aggravated that the dragon looked EXACTLY like the Disney version, but eh. I guess I'll go with it.
Couldn't believe Emma went with her gun though, after all of the "YOU MUST USE YOUR FATHER'S SWORD" drama.

Hadn't she kissed Henry before in the coma and nothing happened? Or am I meshing Snow's kissing him with her?

ETA: ooo, ooo, it would have been really interesting if it had been Regina's kiss that woke Henry up, and she broke her own spell. It still would have had to do with Emma, since she's why Henry ate it in the first place.

Edited by stopeslite, May 13, 2012 @ 8:09 PM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

BTW, I'm all for making Jefferson a regular...

macster83

macster83

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

Just for fun, I thought it would be really funny if Emma still didn't believe after fighting a dragon.

Emma: Man, that was a really big dog!

Loved this episode even if it was really rushed. Would like to have seen Charming and Snow reunite with Emma, but I'll settle for Snow/Charming and Belle/Rumple.

surfer

surfer

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

LOL. The clock struck 815. Clever.

This episode did feel rushed. Especially with Emma believing in the first 5 minutes. The reunions were sweet and I'm glad that we got to see Maleficent and the Huntsman again. Lot's of questions that set up season 2 nicely.

Edited by surfer, May 13, 2012 @ 8:13 PM.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

I think he brought magic to the world, so that he could use it to find his son.

With a little helping of kick Regina's ass on the side, too. :)

Digital Am

Digital Am

Fanatic

• Interests:Criminal Minds
    Joan of Arcadia
    Anything w/Amber Tamblyn or Dakota Fanning
    Dog the Bounty Hunter
    Boy Meets World
    Family Guy
    etc.

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

WOW! What an episode!

Just to double check: Mary Margaret was in the room, and told Regina to hide....
The only thing about this scene that I was disappointed in was that we did not get to see her reaction to Emma....(Could have been due to time and all but still).

All in all LOVED this episode! SO glad Gold & Belle reunited...(And Snow & James of course).

I can't wait for the recap, and I'll write the name meaning of another character later this week. (See the Whimsey section).

PS - I had a feeling Emma would be able to wake Henry up. I called it; and that never happens to me. My logic was that "Okay, True Love's Kiss won't work on him, he's too young. However, a Mother's Love's kiss should work."

Edited by Digital Am, May 13, 2012 @ 8:15 PM.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Interesting finale, I thought Henry was a goner and would get revived somewhere in Season 2 so I was surprised it was resolved. So I guess everyone now remembers their two lives, I also was teary eyed at Snow/Charming's reunion, both of them. I just love the couple. Also had to laugh when Rumple put Charming in the princely outfit. A bit upset that we never got to see Emma reunite with her parents though.

The one thing I didn't like was how everything just happened over one episode, Emma has been dragging her feet about believing all season and in one fell swoop believes and then goes to fight a dragon. Would have made more sense if it happened over 2 or 3 episodes. I also would have loved to see Emma trying to convince Mary Margaret that she was her daughter.

The scene when Henry died was sad and I guess Regina does love Henry, or loves him as much as she can love anyone. I would have love to see if Jefferson finally reunited with his daughter.

I agree with all, I thought Rumple was bringing back Bae when he said it would return what was lost, I was a bit disappointed to see that he meant magic. Also he just gave Regina the ace she needs.

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Nice ending, most people here nailed it that the curse would be broken but not change a whole lot. I'm thinking Rumple made a huge mistake bringing magic into this world just to find Bae though. That means everyone will have their old abilities, which means Regina is the HBIC once again.

I'm sorry but Henry is a spoiled ungrateful brat. Regina I think proved she loves him and all he does is give the F you act. I hope someone kicks his ass next season.
Jefferson was really crazy this ep, but I would imagine he got his wish in the end.

Poor Maleficent did not deserve that ending. I really hope she's still alive next season because her end doesn't jive with how she was in her ep. Still she makes an awesome dragon.

Did anyone else get a really bad sound editing during the dragon fights? It's like they overlaped at times and didn't sync with the scene.

Edited by rtms, May 13, 2012 @ 8:20 PM.

swingkidpt

swingkidpt

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

The good news is Jefferson can now be reunited with his daughter. The bad news is...I'm confused. Is everybody going to revert to their storybook selves or stay in human form? And I know the endgame is Bae. How is Belle going to stay with Rumple if he stays evil?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

Just to double check: Mary Margaret was in the room, and told Regina to hide....

That was the Boob Fairy/Mother Superior. Mary Margaret and David were in the streets.

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

That was the Blue Fairy. Mary Margaret was walking down the street when the curse was broken.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

A dragon......I loved how Emma dropped the sword and shot the dragon...ya know with her gun.

Loved the ending with everyone remembering who they are.

Belle and Rumpy back together again...but Rumpy still being a bad guy. He may love Belle but his true love has always been magic.

And Snow and Charming's reunion was sweet....now I am looking forward to when they see Emma again...now that they all know the truth.

Magic is coming - does that mean a new baddie is on the way?

Not necessarily, with magic back we have Regina, Jefferson, and Rumpy all with some serious magic abilities. They don't really need a new baddie...they got several on the plate already....and we haven't even begun to deal with Emma's magic....

Edited by Nightmare Logic, May 13, 2012 @ 8:15 PM.

Evakuu

Evakuu

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Wasn't that mother superior, AKA Blue Fairy?

Definitely need to see Emma's reunion with her parents.

I loved this episode so much. I just really love all these characters. I even felt a little bad for Regina when she told Henry that she loves him but he didn't say it back. I think she really truly does. I really liked her and Emma working together, hope to see more of that, although she was looking pretty "evil" at the end there.

pixelpaintr

pixelpaintr

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Flash animation, graphic design, painting with acrylic, pastel and mixed-media, sci-fi, Yoga, gardening

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

I wonder what was going through Dr Whale's head once everybody got their memory back (awkward!). Same for Jiminy Cricket and any other animal characters.

Seemed like Gold wanted to revert to his beastly powerful self, but how can he prevent Regina from accessing her power as well?

xqueenfrostine

xqueenfrostine

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Did Pinocchio get better when the curse was broken?

I don't think we saw him, though now that you mention it, it does seems really odd that he didn't appear at the end.

I was a little aggravated that the dragon looked EXACTLY like the Disney version, but eh. I guess I'll go with it.

My only comments on the dragon was how bad the graphics on those scenes were. They weren't the worst I've ever seen, but they looked video-game grade and were awkward against the live characters in the scene. I know it's TV, but the eye opening on Emma at the beginning was particularly cartoonish.

Hadn't she kissed Henry before in the coma and nothing happened? Or am I meshing Snow's kissing him with her?

I'm pretty sure she hadn't. Emma had problems doing hugs properly, I don't think she ever got comfortable enough with affection to do anything as tender as kissing her son before tonight's episode.

GhostJack21

GhostJack21

Loyal Viewer

Regina is the HBIC once again.

She might be HBIC, but Rumple has always been on her level. I don't think he'll be too worried about her.

Digital Am

Digital Am

Fanatic

• Interests:Criminal Minds
    Joan of Arcadia
    Anything w/Amber Tamblyn or Dakota Fanning
    Dog the Bounty Hunter
    Boy Meets World
    Family Guy
    etc.

Chicken Wing - Thanks! No wonder why there was no reaction...
Oh, and, I'm surprised that when Regina approached Henry that Emma even let her speak to him...

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

While I really liked it in some parts, I have to say that I found it a little emotionally unsatisfying. So, after all of August's and Henry's efforts to get Emma to believe, what does the trick is a magical memory download after she touches the book? Obviously, she has been getting closer and closer to believing and was hovering there even in the hospital, but I would've much preferred it if she got there completely on her own.

The flashbacks were in the same style as Pinocchio's after he touched the tree in "The Stranger," so kudos to the production team for that.

I'm also a little disappointed with the Huntsman's return. It was short, which isn't necessarily a problem, but I felt like it lacked impact. Maybe it needed to end with him being amazing and kick ass, sending James off to find Snow White. Instead, we got that extra bit with him and Regina, and it was sad, but also unfinished. Like it wasn't a proper heroic goodbye. He deserves a proper heroic goodbye. Maybe he'll be back next season for some more Enchanted Forest flashbacks.

I'm happy to see Snow White and Charming reunited, but I also feel like the "you found me" dialogue is used too often. It would've been nice to see Jiminy freak out and run off to find Geppetto and Pinocchio, and see Granny and Red look at each other at least, if not hug. Something to suggest those characters were characters, and not just set pieces. I absolutely loved the Blue Fairy telling Regina to hide.

With all that negative said, I did enjoy the episode. I thought Jennifer Morrison was great throughout and her crying over Henry was very, very well done.

I'm curious to see what's going on with Rumple. Did he really want Emma to break the curse, or did he just want her to retrieve the egg? Would dumping the potion into the well break the curse even without the kiss? And how many wells are there?