8-23: "Migration" 2012.05.10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

206 replies to this topic

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

I rewatched the episode, and the only part that really stuck out to me was Alex being sure he had retroactively failed his boards. He just really can't accept anything good happening to /for him, so I'm so happy for him that it finally has.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Me too. He's so used to failing and disappointing that he is pretty much programmed to expect any good fortune to be immediately followed by that proverbial other shoe to drop. I want Alex to win for once! Please let him win, Shonda.

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

Did you not see the preview? /snip/ And Meredith running around the forest with her walking stick (!) screaming for Derek was pretty great. Honey, he got sucked out the side of a plane. He probably can't hear you.

Yeah, none of that? Seemed particularly funny to me. Probably not to anyone who has been in a plane crash either.

You are correct; being an anesthesiologist means you've finished med school (a general education) as well as a residency (which could be in anesthesiology, surgery, OB/GYN, pediatrics, psychiatry, etc.).

Not only that, but it requires you to have gone through a surgical internship, so there's really no need for him to go through it again at UCLA, unless he's changing to a specialty like cardiacs or plastics. The only thing I can think is maybe he's training to be a specialty anesth., in which case he might need an internship in that. But why not just do it where you work? Or maybe he meant to say fellowship.
Plus, wasn't the shooting like...two years ago? He applied for an internship two years ago, and is just now hearing back?

They keep telling us that Seattle Grace... is a top tier teaching hospital with great surgery programs so the reality is that Keppner just doesn't make the cut.

Are they? Or are they still number 12?
I wish Alex could make things better with his family, since he clearly loves them despite the fact they keep hurting him.

SGHvisitor

SGHvisitor

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:20 AM

I wish Alex could make things better with his family, since he clearly loves them despite the fact they keep hurting him.

I would give my right arm to finally see that. It would surely be a great storyline for him.

littlefini1

littlefini1

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

I don't think Owen hurt Cristina on purpose at all.
Maybe he didn't deny it because he was in shock that she would actually believe he did it just to hurt her.
Did she have the abortion just to hurt him? No, she did it because she wanted to. She knew it would hurt him but that is not why she did it.
To believe a person that you are suppose to love did their horrible thing JUST to hurt you is a pretty selfish way to think.
How about if Owen would have said "You killed our baby and you did it just to hurt me"?
Would anybody even bother to answer that, you would first think about it but it would finally dawn on you that this person must certainly have a very low opinion of me.
I wouldn't bother to give an answer either, he did it because he was hurting not to hurt her. She should have tried to understand that.

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

I would give my right arm to finally see that. It would surely be a great storyline for him.

I'm actually SHOCKED that with all the mental illnesses running through his family with his sister, mother and I think his brother too? That Alex hasn't had a 'Alex is bipolar' storyline.

Gusto

Gusto

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

Not mine,I appreciated it, finally it was said. I did not think there was an alterior motive either if you mean trying to release Meredith so she can make decisions with Derek, I think Cristina had way too much on her mind regarding her own relationship with her estranged husband to be worried Meredith's marriage when it comes to decision making of where she and her family move. I think Critina wants her husband to be her person, but the broken record that Shonda has become where Cristina's love life is concerned, once again finds her in love with a man who all of sudden does not seem to get her.

What can I say, I ship C/M bond/friendship very much. It just didn't feel right when Cristina said that. And, yes that's what I meant when I mentioned the ulterior motive. Also I agree with what you said about Cristina/Owen. It was a goodbye, and good for Cristina for making that decision. He's not good for her.

I'm with you. I REALLY hope Alex gets the spotlight next season and has a huge storyline. It's well deserved.

Edited by Gusto, May 13, 2012 @ 11:15 AM.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

The episode the ONS took place he didn't look full of regret.

Big bad Owen, he is such a terrible guy.

Want to meet Alex's mother next season.

I wish Alex could make things better with his family, since he clearly loves them despite the fact they keep hurting him

drwyatt

drwyatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

I'm kind of mixed up on the timeline but have wondered if Owen's nastiness and aggressive avoidance of Cristina in the epi when she starts to suspect Emily is because the ons already happened and he was feeling guilty. C was beginning.g to panic and reach out to him but he had already f-ed it all up.

It's a relief to hear from others sympathetic to Owen. I have to go to other sites to relieve my sense of isolation sometimes. :)

Edited by drwyatt, May 13, 2012 @ 3:37 PM.

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

But he is just a normal guy that went to war and fought for his country, came home shell shocked, fell in love, married the love of his life, threw himself in front of a van to protect her, wanted her to be the mother of his children but instead she gets rid of his first child.

Disgusting.

dmdell119

dmdell119

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I can't believe Owen was all "I'm happy" like Cristina had seen the light and came home to have sex with him because she had suddenly been dickmatized into being the little woman...ready to be knocked up and okay with the fact that the way her husband chose to pay her back for the abortion was to have sex with some random, doctor-worshiping barfly.

Ugh. Owen, the 1950's called. They'd like you back.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

From what I know from friends who have gone through med school and are in residency - the whole "double board" certified confusion is a result of messy writing on SR's part. Only Meredith and Alex's training makes any sense - although Meredith should have been interviewing for an attending job, not a fellowship since she's going into general surgery and just completed a general surgery residency. Pediatric surgery is a sub-specialty of general surgery so Alex's path kind of makes sense as well - assuming he finishes his fellowship and passes his boards after that he would then be double board certified in general and pediatric surgery. But neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, plastic surgery, etc are all specialties in their own right - if Cristina wanted to be a cardio surgeon she never should have been in a general surgery program in the first place. Obviously, it's a tv show but it's confusing when SR borrows some details from medical training and completely ignores others.

That kind of makes sense, although I wish the show had been more clear. So my understanding is that they are all now board certified general surgeons (except Kepner). If someone like Christina wanted to be a board certified cardio surgeon she would have to do her her cardio fellowship and then take the cardio boards (at least in the world of the show)? It was all very confusing since they seemed to imply at least to me that each resident was getting a board test geared to their specific speciality.

I'm pretty sure double board certification in itself is not that unusal since anybody who does a subspecialty within a specialty (Cardiology within Medicine, for example) ends up double board certified because they almost always need to be board certified in the first residency before they can move on to a subspecialty fellowship.

Perhaps Addison was unusual because her board certifications appeared to be in two completely specialties. She treated premature babies, so that would be a subspecialty of pediatrics, but she was also an OB/GYN. That is more unusual and is similar to what Ben is doing by going back and starting a surgical residency. When he is done he will presumably be double board certified in anesthesiology and general surgery which are two completely different specialties.

That makes sense too, although I guess in reality Addison would be triple board certified since she probably did the same type of training that the residents did (to get certified in general surgery), then her premie training, then her OB/GYN training.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Ugh. Owen, the 1950's called. They'd like you back.

If wanting to get married and have children means you live in the 1950's, then about 80% of the world must live in the 1950's. I also don't know of any men in the 1950's who would volunteer to quit their job to take care of their children so the wife could continue to advance in her own career. I have never heard Owen ask Christina to take care of the house like a little woman or act in any way like a character from the 1950's. I also believe that Owen was happy because he loves Christina, not because he thought she planned to don an apron and turn into Lucy Ricardo. My opinion, of course.

Edited by Maddingcrowd, May 14, 2012 @ 11:16 AM.

littlefini1

littlefini1

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Thank you Maddingcrowd, I agree 100%.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

I agree, I interpreted his "I'm happy" happiness as his mistaken belief that Cristina had decided to forgive him and give him another chance, that's all. And he did then say "This doesn't change anything" -- it doesn't erase what he did, it doesn't erase what they were fighting about to begin with, it doesn't change the fact that they have issues.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

Is there no disaster or tragedy that hasn't happened to these people? Maybe the series ending will just be a tsunami sweeping the hospital and everyone in it out to sea, never to be heard of again.

I vote for this ending!

I'm sorry, this may be painfully obvious to other people, and it could be because this show hasn't held me riveted to attention for several seasons now, but I cannot for the life of me keep straight what is going on with the graduating residents. One minute they're talking about being attendings next year, the next they're applying for fellowships. It may have been addressed in regards to other episodes, but it's just killing me now. At the very least, Christina and Alex would have to do subspecialty fellowships. When they were talking about being attendings next year I thought they meant perhaps just the ones who weren't doing fellowships, or maybe at least they would be happy with some extra degree of authority. Based on this episode, clearly not. Several (though not all) fellowships go through a match process somewhat like the one they would have gone through for residency, and none of them bid on fellows like that. Most of these programs are taking government funds to pay the base fellowship salary. And no matter how good the resident is, they aren't bidding on him for a fellowship. Seriously, is there something that I'm missing here?

I think your confusion stems from thinking this show cares anything about how hospitals operate in the real world. Every time I start having those thoughts, I remind myself that Izzie wasn't fired and stripped of her medical license after the Denny LVAD debacle.

Hence the budget excuse. Their budget allows them to hire X number of attendings, and Seattle Grace apparently needs their attendings to be board-certified. They do not have the budget to create another job outside of that predetermined number for an attending who is not board-certified, nor do they presumably want to even if they did, and they cannot allow April to take one of their budgeted spots when there are other applicants who are, by definition of passing the boards, more qualified than she is.

No, the position she would've had, that she'd been offered, was a fellowship. Which is completely different than being an attending physician.

EDIT: She could also work elsewhere in the hospital, as I don't believe the chief of surgery staffs the entire hospital, just the surgical departments.

This is Seattle Grace we're talking about, where the Chief of Surgery is apparently in charge of having back-up generators replaced. So who knows?

Alex getting Hopkins is huge, what ever ridiculous reason they create to make him stay will be stupid. He should go.

As much as I love Alex (and believe me, he and Cristina are pretty much the only reasons I still watch this show), I agree 100%. He'd be absolutely crazy not to take the offer from Hopkins. So of course he'll stay.

And I so would've joined the queue waiting to welcome him to Baltimore - hey, I only live an hour away.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Alex getting Hopkins is huge, what ever ridiculous reason they create to make him stay will be stupid. He should go.

but in their universe, Seattle Grace (Mercy West) is one of the top ranking teaching hospitals in the country. It was top five most of the time that these Residents were training, and even when they dropped out of the top ten, it was a huge deal because of the reputation they have. We are meant to presume that Seattle versus Hopkins is a much closer decision than just friends versus career.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

she cannot retake it until 2013, and in the meantime they would have to pay her and she could not operate alone. It doesn't matter if she is an MD, she is not a board certified surgeon (because she failed the test, i.e., is not considered capable of being a surgeon

I'm not certain why the show thinks this, but "You may take the boards no more than three times within a 12-month period."

Within the crazy world that is this show, Kepner cannot retake her boards until July (I think) 2013, and Hunt rescinded her job offer because, according to him, the hospital couldn't afford her and she was no longer qualified for the position offered, presumably because that offer required that she be board certified. It doesn't really matter how it would work in the real world. This is Shonda-land; the real rules don't apply.

And either way, how would that make a plane crash hilarious?

Normally, of course, a plane crash isn't funny at all. But this is coming on the heels of: bomb in patient, ferry crash with disfigurement and near drowning, cancer with a helping of ghost sex on the side, a hit and run bus, a homicidal maniac on the loose in hospital, a near death car accident and now this. And that is just this group of 12 or so people that this has happened to. So beyond the cheesy graphics, Meredith staring up at the sky like Jack Shepherd while voicing over about birds, and Derek getting sucked out of the side of the plane(!!!!), it is hilarious in its ridiculousness. YMMV of course.

Don't forget a train wreck, a restaurant roof collapse, a lion on the loose and a ginormous city-block swallowing sink hole. (Although admittedly, none of those personally happened to the employees of Seattle Grace, but it does make me very wary of ever visiting Seattle. lol)

And how very unprofessional of Ben for wanting Bailey to give the surgery a rest and call it a day all because he wanted to spend time with her/propose. As nice as his intentions might have been, as a doctor that is not cool. She's trying to figure out what's wrong and fix the situation, be thorough.

I would want doctors like Bailey operating on me and the Bens no where near the OR.

In his defense, it was Bailey's day off, and she wasn't even supposed to be there to begin with. And it wasn't the first time she'd done that to him. But yeah, that's who Bailey is - she will always put the hospital before her family every single time. She's like Richard in that respect, and that's why I never blamed Tuck for bailing on their marriage.

B/B didn't care much about them, but who (almost) proposes with crosswords? It's weird and not romantic at all.

Someone who is really into crosswords? I think it's a hell of a lot more romantic than proposing on the Jumbrotron at an NBA game myself, but to each their own. It's not like he meant for Bailey to get the proposal over an open body cavity - it was supposed to be during a nice cozy brunch at home.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

B/B didn't care much about them, but who (almost) proposes with crosswords? It's weird and not romantic at all.

Aw I thought that was really cute! She clearly loves crosswords, and breakfast in bed too? I would love that.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

She's like Richard in that respect, and that's why I never blamed Tuck for bailing on their marriage

I thought Tuck having an issue with Bailey choosing work over him was a bit contrived. Only because they made a point of the fact that they had been married for what? 10 years? 12 years? probably while she worked her way through med school then her internship and then attending. So suddenly he has expectations and gets all butt hurt because she continues to do what she has always done? It just didn't make sense to me.

This is Shonda-land; the real rules don't apply.

Ha! Exactally! So when I read people say this and this wouldn't happen in a real hospital I think ---but this is Shonda Land!

Rae Spellman

Rae Spellman

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

But yeah, that's who Bailey is - she will always put the hospital before her family every single time. She's like Richard in that respect, and that's why I never blamed Tuck for bailing on their marriage.

She is like Richard, isn't she? I think I've stopped rooting for Miranda and Ben. The writers really haven't done a good job of showing us why Ben would put up will all of Bailey's crap. Or why he's better for her than Eli was.

Isn't being an anesthesiologist meaningful enough work? We're supposed to believe the same guy who was pushing Bailey to move in with because they're not kids any more and "life is happening now" wants to go back to being an intern at 35, 40 or however old he is.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

Is there no disaster or tragedy that hasn't happened to these people? Maybe the series ending will just be a tsunami sweeping the hospital and everyone in it out to sea, never to be heard of again.

I made this prediction years ago but I think it still stands. In the series finale the Alaskan Way viaduct (which is a double decker highway in Seattle which experts think could collapse in the event of an earth quake) is probably going to collapse.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

She's like Richard in that respect, and that's why I never blamed Tuck for bailing on their marriage

I thought Tuck having an issue with Bailey choosing work over him was a bit contrived. Only because they made a point of the fact that they had been married for what? 10 years? 12 years? probably while she worked her way through med school then her internship and then attending. So suddenly he has expectations and gets all butt hurt because she continues to do what she has always done? It just didn't make sense to me.

You have a point there. While I don't blame him for having a problem with her always choosing work over their marriage, him suddenly having a problem after however many years they'd been married was a bit much.

Hey, maybe she and Richard should get married since neither of them ever seem to leave the hospital.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Hey, maybe she and Richard should get married since neither of them ever seem to leave the hospital

Perhaps you were being sarcastic but I would totally ship them! LOL

SecretAgentWife

SecretAgentWife

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

You have a point there. While I don't blame him for having a problem with her always choosing work over their marriage, him suddenly having a problem after however many years they'd been married was a bit much.

I think the timing of it had more to do with having an infant/toddler at home, and Tuck Sr. feeling the grips and challenges of virtually being the lone fulltime parent. Wasn't he also the SAHD? I would imagine that Bailey's time away from home wasn't as noticeable when Tuck Sr. had the freedom to do what he wanted while she was at work, but once saddled with the full time commitment of parenting, he grew resentful. His freedom was gone and his time was not his own.

This is an observation only, not in any way a commentary on working vs staying home.

I can't get behind a Bailey/Webber coupling. It'd be like watching siblings inappropriately flirt and rub on eachother.

Shudder.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

I can't get behind a Bailey/Webber coupling. It'd be like watching siblings inappropriately flirt and rub on eachother.

You mean like George and Izzie?

I agree that Bailey and Webber wouldn't work as a couple. I really see them in a mentor/student relationship, almost father/daughter (not unlike Webber's relationship with Meredith).

SecretAgentWife

SecretAgentWife

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

You mean like George and Izzie?

To quote George, "make the lambs stop screaming!"

Much like I did regarding my fashion crippled stage of layering my Izod under a button down oxford, partnered with Zena baggy jeans and uber white Keds, I've blacked out any and all attempts of romance between Izzie and George.

Edited by SecretAgentWife, May 16, 2012 @ 4:34 PM.