8-24: "Free Family Portrait Studio" 2012.05.10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

85 replies to this topic

brasca

brasca

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

It's odd that California seemingly walked away with a million dollars, but it's possible that Wallace knew everything about him and set him up like Jim and Dwight set up Packer with the fake job in Florida. We may or may not find this out at the beginning of the next season or as a side note when we found out Deangelo Vickers is alive, but in a coma. There's been a lot of good arguments as to how California could swindle a million from Wallace, but I find it hard to believe he wouldn't know anything about the CEO who has seemingly run the company into the ground which brings me to the next bone of contention.

California might be getting a bum rap considering no one that bad could run a company into the ground without some objection from the Board of Directors. His decision to close the Binghamton branch while drunk is the exception, but Sabre was making printers that caught fire before he was even hired, Jo Bennet made some questionable hiring choices with Nellie and Vickers, then there was the Pyramid and retail store to sell Sabre products which was Jo's idea. I think she set a course for disaster then stepped down so she wouldn't be the captain when the ship sank and once California realized this he just went through the motions until the inevitable sinking. In many ways he's like Wallace who was CFO long after previous corporate decisions as well as the changing economy took it's toll on Dunder Mifflin except California could care less about the crash. At least I hope so because I really don't want another crackpot CEO or VP storyline.

Andy's "moment" was stupid and while Erin had a brief moment of clarity by telling him people won't forget this sad show of his when he's back she then forgot it completely when they were trying to intervene. And while I'm glad he wasn't vindictive towards Nellie, this company really shouldn't be wasting money on people who serve no purpose. I'd find jobs for the people in Binghamton before I'd do anything for Nellie. I liked Dwight's scheme and it was nice to see the family members of Dunder Mifflin again, but stretching reality seems to be common place these days.

It seems to me that the writers are setting up for what will happen next season. Since Kelly is with Ravi and ignoring Ryan this whole episode I imagine we'll get one last talking head about her getting married. I know Dwight's got a spinoff in the works, but I don't know if Angela will be included so I'm not sure where this renewal of passion is going. I'd be surprised if Gabe is back, but then again they stretched reasons for him returning this season. If Paul Lieberstein is leaving to produce Dwight's sitcom they might replace Toby with Gabe as HR. Since Michael left he's still an ineffectual sad sack, but at least he's not bullied or despised which seems to be the prevailing sentiment with Gabe. Although in Gabe's case it's not all undeserved. Whatever they do in season 9 I hope they try to go out on a high note.

justkaren

justkaren

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Because if they'd just kept churning out stories for Michael/Steve, except putting Andy/Ed in the main spot, we'd all think that was ridiculous too.

I feel like that's EXACTLY what they did. And it sucked.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

It's been renewed?!! I'm surprised at that - REALLY surprised.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

It's been renewed?!! I'm surprised at that - REALLY surprised.

I'm not surprised, but I was hoping for a 13 episode FINAL season. The fact that I'm disappointed that it didn't happen is probably a sign that I need to stop watching.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

I'm not surprised, but I was hoping for a 13 episode FINAL season. The fact that I'm disappointed that it didn't happen is probably a sign that I need to stop watching.

Yeah, I don't care how many episodes they get, but I do wish they would make a commitment to ending it after next year. NBC has no soul so I guess that is wishful thinking.

OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

California might be getting a bum rap considering no one that bad could run a company into the ground without some objection from the Board of Directors. His decision to close the Binghamton branch while drunk is the exception, but Sabre was making printers that caught fire before he was even hired, Jo Bennet made some questionable hiring choices with Nellie and Vickers, then there was the Pyramid and retail store to sell Sabre products which was Jo's idea. I think she set a course for disaster then stepped down so she wouldn't be the captain when the ship sank and once California realized this he just went through the motions until the inevitable sinking. In many ways he's like Wallace who was CFO long after previous corporate decisions as well as the changing economy took it's toll on Dunder Mifflin except California could care less about the crash. At least I hope so because I really don't want another crackpot CEO or VP storyline.

But do sitcom writers actually think through the motives and lives of characters, esp. those who aren't even on the show anymore (ie, Jo Bennet)? I ask this with sincerity because I don't know how TV-show writers work - do they plan out a season's storyline and then write the episodes to fulfill that story, or do they just come up with ideas from week to week and hope it has some coherence? For instance with bringing David Wallace back - do you think that was planned all along or did the actor lose his job on the show when he was written off and then they decided to re-hire him? Same thing with Holly, and didn't Pam's boyfriend leave the show and then come back, and so did Jim's girlfriend, Karen.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

But do sitcom writers actually think through the motives and lives of characters, esp. those who aren't even on the show anymore (ie, Jo Bennet)? I ask this with sincerity because I don't know how TV-show writers work - do they plan out a season's storyline and then write the episodes to fulfill that story, or do they just come up with ideas from week to week and hope it has some coherence? For instance with bringing David Wallace back - do you think that was planned all along or did the actor lose his job on the show when he was written off and then they decided to re-hire him? Same thing with Holly, and didn't Pam's boyfriend leave the show and then come back, and so did Jim's girlfriend, Karen.

In the past, The Office has had a general plan on how a season will play out and then adjusted things as the season went along and they got a better idea of what was working. They used to try and maintain a sense of continuity with the characters and what had been portrayed previously. This has been less true in recent seasons since Paul Lieberstein took over for Greg Daniels as showrunner. This year, I think they originally wanted Catherine Tate as the new manager, but a scheduling conflict left her unavailable for the start of the season and the reaction to Spader's performance in last year's finale led them to bring him in and promote him to CEO. They then put Andy in as manager which I'm guessing was supposed to be temporary until Tate could come onboard. Unfortunately, Robert California turned out to be an unpopular character and the stories with him hanging around Scranton just didn't make sense. By mid-season they had realized that it wasn't working and had to figure out how to get rid of him which meant a lot of scrambling to try and figure out how to write him off. My guess is that they decided to bring back David Wallace at that point, but didn't have much time to plot out the story very well. I don't know what they planned for Nellie, but the fan reaction has been so negative I think they changed their minds for making her permanent manager when the ratings plunged so quickly. Who knows what they have planned for her next year.

As for the other returning characters, the actress who played Holly had limited availability and so was only brought back to help get Michael his goodbye. The actors who played Roy and Karen were brought back for short cameos as part of the ongoing story.

OpieTaylor

OpieTaylor

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Col Bat Guano, thanks for the info about how writers work. Appreciate it :)

LockandLoad

LockandLoad

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Col Bat Guano, according to Paul Lieberstein James Spader did not wish to sign on for another season. He commented that Spader had said all along that he only wanted to do a one season arc.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:43 AM

LockandLoad, I saw those comments by Lieberstein, but it sounded more like ass-covering to me. There had been no mention of Spadar leaving before that and occurred well into the season when the critics were savaging it. I could be wrong though.

skateCO

skateCO

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

But I kept thinking that Andy was better looking than usual

Yessssssss. I found Andy insufferable tonight (along with the rest of the entire episode) but I couldn't stop looking at him, especially when he was in the suit.

RustbeltWriter

RustbeltWriter

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

Office Writers, STOP WITH THE ROMANCE ALREADY We are tired of it, and everyone is together. We don't need any more romantic tension and no one wants it. Seriously, the show needs to get back towards Office-Related conflicts and plots. That's what made the show interesting, it shouldn't be like a high school where everyone needs to be with everyone.

I cannot agree with this strongly enough. The best moments this show has are when they connect with a viewer through the drudgery of work and work related problems. I laugh hardest when I can relate to what the characters are going through and enjoy how they resolve those issues.

No one has ever dressed up as a janitor and mopped the carpet at my office. We have, however, received emails telling us management was changing and wrung plenty of drama out of that. Of course, our plotline was funnier than this episode.

Gore girl

Gore girl

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I am suprised it is renewd too. Only becuase this episode seemed perfect as a series ender. Every loose end was tied up, it seemed like everyone got a Happily Ever After, I also like the "where are they now" aspect of showing the kids grown up at the photo shoot. To me this episode would be the perfect ending to the series, I actually hope it is cancelled so they can leave it as it all nicely wrapped up the way it is and not ruin anything.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

I actually hope it is cancelled so they can leave it as it all nicely wrapped up the way it is and not ruin anything.

Since it was once again NBC's top rated scripted show, there is no way this show gets cancelled. Plus, how much more could they ruin it given what happened this season? Wait, don't answer that!

Edited by Col Bat Guano, May 29, 2012 @ 4:29 PM.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

When it comes to *office* plot lines, which should be the actual focus of the show, the writers delight in refusing to conclude threads in any plausible way. Almost nothing anyone does would ever actually happen.

Yes. The writers are too busy trying to be funny to concentrate on sensible plots. The one big failing of this show is that it is trying way too hard to be funny in every line of every scene. They need to write a good story and let the characters make us smile rather than write jokes and hope a story comes out of the mess.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

The most unbelievable thing about the whole episode was Erin knowing (and correctly using) the word "calibrate."

AGREED. More than anything else this episode, that made me double-take and go "Well, that's unrealistic."

I don't know I imagine with Andy having no job, he and Erin are spending a ton of time together. And is a pretty intelligent guy, at least book smarts, and Erin seems like the person who isn't totally dumb, just never really exposed to things. So I could see how she might pick up things from Andy.

As far as David, Robert and the million dollars goes, Robert said it was a million dollars in matching funds, which to me means, Robert has to raise a million from other people at which point David will match it.

The only thing that bugged me is that I was hoping they were setting up some kind of awesome prank with Dwight getting Jim's photograph. I was totally expecting that in the tag at the end it was going to be revealed that Jim was on some kind of terrorist/criminal wanted list or something. But Jim didn't really do anything this episode.

jhtulsatv

jhtulsatv

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

LockandLoad, I saw those comments by Lieberstein, but it sounded more like ass-covering to me. There had been no mention of Spadar leaving before that and occurred well into the season when the critics were savaging it. I could be wrong though.

Col Bat Guano, Spader was brought in to replace Kathy Bates. A small, recurring role that he could pop-in and perform. They kept bringing him in to do entire episodes. Not what he signed up for, so he didn't renew.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

Col Bat Guano, Spader was brought in to replace Kathy Bates. A small, recurring role that he could pop-in and perform. They kept bringing him in to do entire episodes. Not what he signed up for, so he didn't renew.

I find it hard to believe that James Spader signed a contract without knowing exactly how many episodes he would appear in.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

That doesn't sound like anything we were ever told about Spader's role on the show. He was one of the manager candidates at the end of S7. They escalated him up to CEO, most likely because Kathy Bates was busy, but still intended him to have a major role on the show. He was signed for over half of the episodes. If it had worked I'm sure he would have been brought back.

LockandLoad

LockandLoad

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Spader wanted out considering the hash they made of developing his character. I'm sure he feels this character was the total opposite of his experience with the Alan Shore character in The Practie and Boston Legal. Or, maybe after working with Steven Spielberg halfway through the TV season he decided he really would prefer to go back into films.

jhtulsatv

jhtulsatv

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

I find it hard to believe that James Spader signed a contract without knowing exactly how many episodes he would appear in.

Sitcom actors don't really know until after table read if they will make it into episode and even then their part could be trimmed. Spader wasn't given top billing. Thet wanted Catherine Tate to replace Steve Carell but she wasn't available at start of season. NBC's Thursday ratings collapsed. Not Spader's fault. The Office was NBC's highest rated Thursday show. Spader and storyline wasn't blamed.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

NBC's Thursday ratings collapsed. Not Spader's fault. The Office was NBC's highest rated Thursday show. Spader and storyline wasn't blamed.

While Spader can't be blamed for the collapse of The Office's ratings, the Robert California story was not a hit with anyone and if it had been well done he would have been brought back. He's certainly not responsible for the terrible writing that he was given to perform, but complaints about California were a big part of the problem for S8.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Sitcom actors don't really know until after table read if they will make it into episode and even then their part could be trimmed.

James Spader was the biggest star on that set last season. If he wasn't in an episode, he wasn't called in for a table read. And this was no small, recurring role, a la Kathy Bates. NBC promoted the hell out of it. To say that James Spader didn't know what he signed up for seems a little silly to me.

ShaniquaVan

ShaniquaVan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 3:46 AM

Then he covers the baby's eyes and mouths

And then he covers the baby's eyes and mouths? How many eyes did the baby have?

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

Most babies have two eyes.

nana911

nana911

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 4:50 AM

Perhaps they'll start the new season with an opening shot of Bobby in the shower, I mean Michael in the shower ala Dallas...the entire prior season was just a bad dream.....