3-22: "The Departed" 2012.05.10 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

288 replies to this topic

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, vacations, all things Irish, ice cream, music, knitting, laughing with friends, baseball (Go Sox!), food, sleep, shopping, movies and TV

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Matt doesn't care if he doesn't get to say goodbye to Caroline and Tyler as long as Elena gets to see one of her vampire boyfriends for the last time

Seriously, poor Matt (although wasnít Tyler supposedly dying at the time they had this conversation? Havenít had a chance to rewatch yet).

Seriously, Matt needs to grow some balls. It's his own damn fault that he lets himself be used all the time.

One must wonder if Meredith learned anything at all in med school or if she just decided vamp blood was the answer to everything.

In all fairness to Meredith (whose character I cannot stand and do not understand the point of having on this show any longer), cerebral hemorrhages have insanely high mortality rates. I do not blame her for giving Elena vamp blood to heal Elena.

The triangle has been teased from the beginning. Itís not new. I sat through two years of S/E (and one year of Ďhow will I chooseí), itís D/Eís turn. I donít know who is endgame and right now I donít care, I just want to see the story move.

From what I understand, the Elena/Stefan/Damon love triangle is a focal point of the books, so I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that Ian Somerholder and Nina Dobrev are dating in real life.

My problem with the temporary "resolution" to the triangle is that I agree that it is D/E's turn because of the way the season was written - right now the love story feels stagnant. I frankly do not understand an entire season of buildup toward the possibility of a new relationship with no payoff. Obviously, the writers/creators wanted to create tension by building up this love triangle and make the story interesting - it is what they do. However, where the tension and buildup crosses over to a territory in which I feel like I am being toyed with, it makes me feel disrespected a bit as a viewer.

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

This episode displayed a lot of heavy-handedness and emotional manipulation.

I felt sorry for Caroline, Tyler, Jeremy, Matt and ultimately Elena (even though she is the most irritating character on this show to me). Especially if she didn't actually know that Meredith gave her the blood. I will be really irritated if the writers wrote in that a doctor just administered some kind of cure to a patient (even a supernatural cure - it's not like it would surprise Elena) and didn't inform said patient. I would be really uncomfortable if Elena woke up as a vampire and didn't know how it happened.

What do Carol and Sheriff Liz do all day?

I'm calling bullshit on Elena's first meeting with Damon. That seems like a huge retcon to me. I don't give two fucks about the Triangle though. In my opinion, it really weighs the show down. I haven't read the books, and from what I understand, the triangle was central to them, but to watch this year after year - tiresome. I would also agree that Matt should have told Elena to shut the hell up about Damon and Stefan at some point during that episode. That had to have been painful and just grating.

I wonder how much Elena will be like Katherine. I still don't think - and haven't for 3 years now - that the show has done a good job of explaining why three (I'm including Matt) guys would be so into her. I've seen a lot of annoying exposition on how great she is, but they haven't adequately convinced me that there is a reason for all of Damon, Matt, and Stefan's borderline insane behavior where Elena is concerned. It's probably because these showrunners don't give a damn about responsible and measured character development. That's where The Vampire Diaries suffers.

Julie Plec's writing really, really bothers me.

It seems like Ian Somerhalder is having a lot of fun with The Vampire Diaries, but if that scene with Alaric showed me anything it's that he has some serious chops when he's given room. I want him to be recognized for his acting skills, but that is incredibly unlikely while he is still on this show. I'm also going to add Zach Roerig to this list. He is being wasted. Candice Accola was great when she was running around the cellar looking for Tyler.

I would really like to know if Tyler conspired with Bonnie on this. Besides that Klaus is functionally alive in someone else's body, I'm not sure what else this accomplishes. Obviously Caroline and Abby are still alive. The huge question - is Tyler? I love the idea of Dark Bonnie, but I would not condone her first dark action being shoving Klaus into Tyler's body without his permission and screwing over Caroline. Caroline of all people is the one that hasn't done anything to directly or indirectly harm Bonnie. Maybe I wrong? You at least need to build up to the ruthless behavior. I don't trust Julie Plec to do this well because honestly has she really done right by Bonnie compared to others?

I realized that I missed Sara Canning. Which I never though I would. She was almost criminally underused on the show.

Crucial

Crucial

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

I wonder how much Elena will be like Katherine. I still don't think - and haven't for 3 years now - that the show has done a good job of explaining why three (I'm including Matt) guys would be so into her. I've seen a lot of annoying exposition on how great she is, but they haven't adequately convinced me that there is a reason for all of Damon, Matt, and Stefan's borderline insane behavior where Elena is concerned. It's probably because these showrunners don't give a damn about responsible and measured character development. That's where The Vampire Diaries suffers.

Totally agree.

If it Klaus and Caroline do anything while in Tyler's body then I really, really think Julie Plec should be criticized for this harshly because it's not the first time this has happened and it's the second time it's happened with one character.

Edited by Crucial, May 12, 2012 @ 2:32 PM.

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, vacations, all things Irish, ice cream, music, knitting, laughing with friends, baseball (Go Sox!), food, sleep, shopping, movies and TV

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

[snip] If the writers of the show take the time to slowly build up the possibility of the romance over the course of the season, have it go somewhere or have it mean something or have it contribute to a bigger purpose (and by bigger purpose, I don't mean her eventually "choosing Stefan" because that had nothing to do with Damon) if the romance doesn't actually pan out. That didn't happen here (IMO) and, as such, it feels like a big waste of time to create needless dramatic tension.

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 12, 2012 @ 7:05 PM.
Quoted post was deleted

ardentshine

ardentshine

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

In all fairness to Meredith (whose character I cannot stand and do not understand the point of having on this show any longer), cerebral hemorrhages have insanely high mortality rates. I do not blame her for giving Elena vamp blood to heal Elena.

I don't blame her either. Healing people with vampire blood is pretty par for the course with this show. Where Meredith failed was not asking Jeremy if he would agree to her administering the blood before she did it. Meredith had good intentions, but she took the matter into her own hands when it should have been a family member who made the choice. Would Jeremy have agreed? Most likely. But knowledge of what had happened would have altered the rest of the episode; I doubt Matt and Jeremy would have let Elena out of the house until the blood had passed through her system. Meredith probably assumed they would keep Elena on bed rest and that she'd be relatively danger-free, which makes one want to ask her if she's been paying attention to Mystic Falls over the past two years.

I think that's partly why we got Alaric attempting to invoke his rights as a guardian. It wasn't only that he had no grounds to do so but that it was made clearer how far Meredith had overstepped her bounds. Again, I totally understand Meredith's intentions. She doesn't want to lose patients and sees vampire blood as the last resort in a case as severe as Bill Forbes's or Elena's. But she always ran the risk of people being inadvertantly turned into vampires, which added additional risks of creating monsters or causing further emotional trauma as displayed by Caroline when Bill chose not to transition. In the end, I'm sure some characters will be grateful for what Meredith did because they'll be happy Elena is still around. But it never should have been Meredith's choice to make.

Edit: None of this is to say I disagree with Ireland 77. I'm just throwing in my two cents. And at some point today, I'll get people's handles correct.

Edited by ardentshine, May 12, 2012 @ 3:35 PM.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

I am simply stating that if the writers of the show take the time to slowly build up the possibility of the romance over the course of the season, have it go somewhere

Thank you! I feel the same. It's not about Elena having to switch off because of the books or because it's a 'triangle' or what have you. It's about the writing leading somewhere. If I had to spend an entire season listening to Elena (and everyone else on the damn show) hemming and hawing about her obvious attraction and interest in Damon, only to have her make out with him one day, then invite his brother to dances the next and then decide on his possible deathbed to 'choose' his brother because, according to her, he came first and it will always be him then what in the world has been the point of all of this??

Now, I think Elena will end up with Damon next season, so mostly I'm just irritated at the promotional people and at the show for wasting half the finale on Elena's thoughts about who she's going to chose only to have her make what was not much of a choice at all. As a viewer, Damon seems the most interesting choice at this point. As a character, Damon has been sort of saddled with constant unrequited love and I want him to have something of his own. If I'm wrong and the show isn't willing to go D/E, then they need to stop writing it's coming and let Damon get over it, move on and have an interesting Elena free life. But if they are going to write a triangle, they better damn well do it for real.

contessakitty

contessakitty

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

My heart was nearly beating out of my chest for the whole episode. I felt like I'd been running a marathon by the time I was done and I was holding my breath every minute. I am looking forward to Dark Bonnie and seeing what she'll cook up. I know in the books Elena did become a vampire but still, I hope it won't spoil things now that she is one. I'm afraid of VD turning into True Blood where every special snowflake has some supernatural ability somewhere and it's walking perilously close to that line. I think Elena's humanity was one of the things that Stefan was attracted to. How will he feel about Vampirelena?

jenet27

jenet27

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

I'm convinced, especially in Damon's case, as to why he is so in love with her. I saw that relationship play out for 3 seasons. She saw good in him first for Stefan's sake, then for his own, when no one else did and when she really didn't have good reason to considering everything he'd done. She understood him - there's a line from the first season where she says she gets that everything Damon's ever done, he's done for love. That's why I think they will be more similar now as vampires. Stefan was much more instalove, but I've also seen them in a deep relationship where they have fun, sacrifice for each other, and support each other. It goes both ways. Elena goes just as nuts about protecting these characters as they do protecting her - that's how she ended up dead, after all.

I don't include Matt. Beginning of Season 1, yeah, but he isn't in love with her anymore. Matt was the one bringing Stefan and Damon up to Elena all the time in this episode, except for the first scene where he was watching her sleep, so apparently he's comfortable talking about it with her. In fact, I'd put Matt in Caroline's column before I'd put him in Elena's since she was the one he was most recently in love with. For that matter Caroline at this point has just as many people into her as Elena does (Tyler and Klaus, and again you could include Matt for her just as much as Elena) and I find Klaus's obsession with her, interesting though it is, a lot less developed than Elena and the Salvatores' relationship.

Edited by jenet27, May 12, 2012 @ 5:21 PM.

shoeless27

shoeless27

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Now, I think Elena will end up with Damon next season, so mostly I'm just irritated at the promotional people and at the show for wasting half the finale on Elena's thoughts about who she's going to chose only to have her make what was not much of a choice at all.

I very much agree with this sentiment. The previous episodes, Elena's conversation with Matt in this episode, and the off-air promotion, put too much emphasis on "the choice." I think the writers could have made the same point with just the set-up of Matt & Elena halfway between both brothers without all the extra "choice" discussion. At the end of the day, it seemed like the choice didn't really matter, all things considered. (Except to make me feel really bad for Damon.)

It was a great moment where the intensity of the plot and the emotion of the triangle matched up, and it wouldn't have been lost on the audience even without the previous shrieking of "a choice, a choice, it must be made!" I guess subtly isn't really a finale thing, though.

So, do you think Damon took the stake off of Ric's body or was he too overcome with grief to remember it was there? I bet Elijah didn't forget.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

Seriously, Matt needs to grow some balls. It's his own damn fault that he lets himself be used all the time.

This is a problem with the writers not the actual character. I think the fact is that this character is useless and if this show wasn't on the CW he wouldn't be around anymore. He's obviously just eye candy and it bugs the shit out of me. He hasn't had an arc in a season and a half. He could move to a new town off screen and nobody would give a shit.

When it comes to the triangle, I don't think Damon deserves much of anything.

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

This is a problem with the writers not the actual character.

On the one hand, I can somewhat understand this argument with crappy writing and storytelling, especially if you see a character do something so out of character that it makes no sense. On the other hand, I think a character only exists and acts because a writer takes pen to paper and deems it so . . . in that sense, any problem with the way a character is written is still a problem with the actual character.

Edited by Ireland77, May 12, 2012 @ 6:49 PM.

Kara1940

Kara1940

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

I can't believe as hit and miss this season has been, the show goes and wins me over with the finale. Some of it I saw coming, a lot I didn't, I love that after three seasons the show can still surprise me.

I was not expecting much because of all this choice bachelor like build up, I found it degrading to all three in the triangle. I really did not expect to feel for Elena as much as I did this episode, because all season her indecisiveness really bothered me. But in the flashbacks with her parents, set against scenes like her conversation with Matt when she says she wishes she had her mom to talk to, and the end when she is in the car with her parents saying goodbye, it all left me crying.

I went into this feeling like it was so going to be Damon. Not because it made any sense to me, but because I felt sure they were going to pull a Joey Potter and have her switch on them (so much of this triangle feels like DC sometimes,and not in a good way). Now my preference going into this was that Elena choose herself, maybe date Matt. But given the backdrop of the episode, set against the heartbreaking year Stefan and Elena have had, the accident at the end, and the fact that we seem to be saying goodbye to Elena's mortality and humanity, I kind of love that one of her last choices as human was to choose Stefan- the one who made her glad to be alive. I have no doubt that this triangle of doom will start back up next season (btw nice trolling on that front JP), but now I find myself more open to the possibilities all the way around. Really looking forward to Vamp Elena so much, and how that resets the triangle. Hm, I think I'll have more to say about this in the Season four thread.

I won't even comment on that ret-con Damon and Elena scene besides to say I found it complete nonsense and fan service. I'll leave it at that.

Bonnie was brilliant, I really enjoyed her new found independence. Hope it lasts. Interesting twist placing Klaus in Tyler's body. Gives me a little hope for Klaus's (and Jo Mo's) return for guest appearances, I really enjoy him as a character. I'm just curious to find out Caroline's reaction.

I hope we get more scenes with Matt and Jeremy teaming up, but they do come up with the worst plans it seems (like everyone on the show). Wasn't crazy about all the Hunter Alaric stuff, he seemed to go out with a whimper instead of a bang. Though I did like that part at the end with him and Jeremy, that was a nice goodbye.

And BTW how great was that scene between Elijah and Rebekah when they thought Klaus had died, their pained faces and way they hug each other. That's one thing they did right with the originals story line I think, the casting.

ETA

(Except to make me feel really bad for Damon.)

I've read a lot about how this is the show leading towards painting Damon and the underdog in the triangle, so we as the audience will have more sympathy for him, and be more accepting of the idea of Damon and Elena. It's funny, but for me it seems to have the opposite effect. I feel the manipulation of the show, and see Stefan even more as the underdog- something I always seem to do. Maybe that's just me.

I bet Elijah didn't forget.

THIS! I so hope to see this play out.

Edited by Kara1940, May 12, 2012 @ 6:44 PM.

MrsMay

MrsMay

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

I knew there was a reason that crow was following Elena around in the first episode of Season One.

Hearkening all the way back to page one of this thread, SnowFox has an interesting point, (even if the comment was made in jest as I suspect it may have been). While the D/E flashback definitely reeks of retcon, there are small things that were done in the beginning of the show that make a meeting like that plausible, though I in no way think the writers were looking to this moment in the series when the show started.

But, because I liked the scene, I'm throwing the retcon aside and embracing it. Here's why: I can buy that Damon reacted that way upon meeting Elena because Damon was always the more reserved of the two brothers. and we've seen very little of him pre-present day aside from "1912." If canon is any indication, he had "fun" with his victims but didn't leave a string of bodies in his wake. He certainly wasn't a Ripper, traveling around the country letting the bodies pile up. His reservation in that scene is classic Damon, IMO.

I can imagine his shock at seeing Elena, looking exactly like Katherine, and being curious and cautious and wanting to know more. I can even buy the conversation because he's doing that thing he does where he's nice when no one else is around to see it. Plus, how does someone who looks just like Katherine exist? Thus, he uses the crow and begins stalking her just as Stefan does after saving her life. All the while, he's also watching Stefan watch her without Stefan knowing. It's not until it becomes clear that Stefan will be staying in MF that the "animal attacks" begin, which we know were Damon's attempt to run Stefan out of town before opening the tomb and freeing Katherine. By this point, he knows Elena's not Katherine, too, but doesn't really care since he's got a case of tomb-vision.

Edited by MrsMay, May 12, 2012 @ 6:54 PM.

SnowFox

SnowFox

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Hearkening all the way back to page one of this thread, SnowFox has an interesting point, (even if the comment was made in jest as I suspect it may have been).

I wasn't joking. Damon, like Anna, was in Mystic Falls along time before he let Stefan or anyone else know it. Stefan spent the first part of Season One assuming Damon was there to cause problems for him, however, as was eventually revealed Damon was there to get Katherine out of the tomb. The crow was shown when Elena and Bonnie were driving to school, and the crow and Damon were in the cemetary with Elena before Stefan showed up.

I hope Damon has that stake. If he doesn't, that will be very out of character because Damon always notices and remembers things like that.

I thought Bonnie or the police had alerted Alaric to where Klaus' body was. I thought Matt and Jeremy had double crossed Alaric, and sent him to meet the others in the woods. The simplest solution was still to find a way for Elena to die, and come back, and keep Klaus' body dessicated.

I liked seeing Liz and Carol work together to protect their children.

I guess Elena will be yet another accidental vampire on the show, and she has an even more convuluted story. Meredith gave Elena the blood she stole from Damon or some other vampire, Matt kidnapped Elena with an assist from Jeremy, Rebekah caused the accident which sent Matt's truck into the water, and Stefan did what Elena wanted and saved Matt leading to Elena dying and becoming a vampire. I just know Bonnie and everyone else will blame all this on Damon.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

I just know Bonnie and everyone else will blame all this on Damon.

Well, if the blood Meredith used was in fact stolen from Damon then he 'turned' Elena and is therefore responsible :)

Snowfox, when I originally read your comment about the crow I was thinking it was a joke about Elena being fated to die at Wickery Bridge because I completely forgot about Damon being the crow! Now that stupid crow following Elena around makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Edited by My Way, May 12, 2012 @ 10:20 PM.

SnowFox

SnowFox

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

Now that stupid crow following Elena around makes a hell of a lot more sense.

This is one of the reasons I don't see that scene between Damon and Elena as a retcon. Another reason is because not only was Elena's, "If I had met you first," lame it was also pointless. Whether the first time Damon and Elena had met was that night, or when she went to the Salvatore house looking for Stefan, and found Damon instead, it wouldn't have mattered because at that time, Damon was completely and passionately in love with Katherine. That's why Elena saying what she did was ironic, not only because Elena had met Damon first, but didn't remember it, but also because Damon belonged heart and soul to Katherine at that point. Even after Damon got the tomb opened, and realized Katherine wasn't inside, he was still madly in love with Katherine.

Also, I don't see that scene as being about Damon/Elena as a couple. It was about them as individuals. Those scenes showed what Elena was like before the accident that killed her parents, and before all the bodies started piling up in Mystic Falls. It showed Elena not really being in love with Matt, or as invested in their relationship as he was, yet having a problem with telling him that.

It also underscored yet again how secretive Damon is. Just like Stefan didn't know about Katherine and the tomb, didn't know why Damon had saved Emily's children and tried to save Emily, just like Elena didn't know what Damon had done for Rose before she died, neither Elena nor Stefan know about this, and I bet Ric didn't know either even though Ric knew about Rose.

night returns

night returns

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

Rereading over this thread, one objection that's been raised a few times pertains to the fact that Damon was eventually able to overpower Vampalaric. While the episode had no shortage of leaky plotlines, this one actually makes sense to me. Elena was in the process of dying at that moment, so it stands to reason that as her life drained away so too would Vampalaric's super strength.

ardentshine

ardentshine

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

Upon rewatching, I absolutely love the look on Stefan's face when Elijah says all he wants is his brother to remain with him. I was only able to catch the gist of that scene when I first saw the ep since I was talking on the phone while listening to someone else talk on another phone, but damn, Paul Wesley did a fantastic job there. One look that said he both understood Elijah was playing the one card he knew Elena couldn't resist and that, despite everything Klaus had done, Elijah didn't want to live without him. It was a heavy parallel there with Klaus/Elijah and Stefan/Damon, but PW did a great job conveying a lot of emotion in that one expression.

Edited by ardentshine, May 13, 2012 @ 1:08 AM.

Luluzinha

Luluzinha

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

Well, if the blood Meredith used was in fact stolen from Damon then he 'turned' Elena and is therefore responsible :)

Please noooooooooooooooooooo. I hope we never get to find out whose blood it was. And if there are people who turned her, I'm going with Meredith and Rebecca.

I hope Damon has that stake. If he doesn't, that will be very out of character because Damon always notices and remembers things like that.

I agree... although he might have been contemplating suicide at that point (glad he decided he had to see her first though).

But given the backdrop of the episode, set against the heartbreaking year Stefan and Elena have had, the accident at the end, and the fact that we seem to be saying goodbye to Elena's mortality and humanity, I kind of love that one of her last choices as human was to choose Stefan- the one who made her glad to be alive.

Couldn't have said it better myself, I thought this made perfect sense.

KatTV

KatTV

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

It also underscored yet again how secretive Damon is. Just like Stefan didn't know about Katherine and the tomb, didn't know why Damon had saved Emily's children and tried to save Emily, just like Elena didn't know what Damon had done for Rose before she died, neither Elena nor Stefan know about this, and I bet Ric didn't know either even though Ric knew about Rose.

On a similar note, I was hoping that at some point when Matt and Elena were talking that perhaps Matt might mention that Damon attacked Kol the night of the ball to save his life. I understand that Matt doesn't like Damon or Stefan for that matter, but he might grudgingly acknowledge to Elena that without Damon's intervention, he'd be dead.

Onscreen, Damon never got any credit for rescuing Matt, and it was quickly forgotten.

Somewhere up thread it was mentioned that it was lazy writing that Rebekah somehow knew where Matt and Elena were heading, which allowed her to go after Elena. Upon a second watch, that was explained while Stefan was talking on the phone, he said that Elijah had called Elena and she had told Elijah that she and Matt were just hitting town and would be there shortly. WHY, Elena? Why give your location to Elijah? Just let him take Rebekah and get out of town.

So, depending on the geography of the town, it might have been very easy to deduce that in order to get back to Mystic Falls, you have to cross Wickery Bridge. Rebekah headed over to lie in wait for them. The fact that she made it back to Mystic Falls in the first place, is a little shaky with the timeline, but tracking down Elena and Matt wasn't so improbable.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

I don't doubt they'll find away to blame him for this too, but he didn't give away his blood. Meredith (is she still here?) vervained, and then stole his blood. She can go, she's probably not going to be a drinking buddy of Damon's.

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

I for one hope there won't be a lot of blame throwing. I see no real need for it. It's not going to advance the plot in any way. No one is really to blame except Meredith and there's no way she could have predicted the events on the bridge.

I'm not one to analyze Stefan's motives when Elena gives him a directive because I really don't care that much, but he could have either ignored her wishes in order to save her or done what she asked. Damon would have ignored her. There have to be concrete ways Damon and Stefan are different and I guess this is one such way. I'm not invested in deciding whether Stefan was justified.

I do think the exhibition of the underwater scenes was poor. Even in these two life or death situations, there was a lot of hand wringing and time wasting between Stefan and a Gilbert. And overall, I find it a little laughable that the show would actually go there and portray Elena in such a similar situation within such a short period of time. Such heavy handedness.

I also feel that whose blood Meredith gave Elena is largely irrelevant unless they plan on picking up the killing Originals plot again in the future and they need to know from whose bloodline she descends - I'm already not looking forward to it.

Edited by Viva Elijah, May 13, 2012 @ 7:28 AM.

Janieful

Janieful

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

So if Elena's body is in the morgue at the hospital, then I assume Stefan knows that she is going to wake up and be in transition in that final scene? When I first watched, the look on his face implied to me that he thought she was dead and never coming back. But I imagine Meredith had talked to him if they were at the hospital. If this is true, this gives his somber look a whole new meaning.

Edited by Janieful, May 13, 2012 @ 9:15 AM.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

If this is true, this gives his somber look a whole new meaning.

I'm sure Meredith told him. To me, the look said he knew how hard this would be on her, because she had made it clear she didn't want to be a vampire. He knows what's ahead for her. He may also be afraid the Elena he knew would be gone now.

MrsMay

MrsMay

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

I wasn't joking. Damon, like Anna, was in Mystic Falls along time before he let Stefan or anyone else know it.

Ah!! So glad to know you weren't joking. It just makes sense. The crow helps anchor the D/E scene in the realm of possibility.

And I also thought a deputy or other townsperson alerted Alaric to Damon's whereabouts. Stefan (or someone) said Klaus' vehicle was being sought and Alaric said, I think, that he had eyes in law enforcement.

haloeight

haloeight

Just Tuned In

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

So Damon "saw" Elena first (as if that really makes a difference now, but the writers made a big deal about it so i am wondering if it actually means more than we know at this time) when he met Elena that day, was it the day she almost died at the bridge? Was that the same phone call she was on with her parents - waiting for a ride after her fight with Matt? So how likely is it that on that same day she now, the writers tell us, meets Damon and forgets him. And Damon doesn't ever tell anyone including Elena, in that secretive way he does. But he always knew he saw her "first". Could it be that Damon was actually the one to save Elena and not Stefan....Is Stefan's story of how he rescued Elena verifiable yet? At the very least he claimed, if I remember right, to be watching her believing her to be Katherine at the time, and that is why he was there to rescue her when the car went off the bridge, so would he have not more than likely seen her conversation with Damon? Does that even matter?

zizou

zizou

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

Could it be that Damon was actually the one to save Elena and not Stefan....Is Stefan's story of how he rescued Elena verifiable yet? At the very least he claimed, if I remember right, to be watching her believing her to be Katherine at the time, and that is why he was there to rescue her when the car went off the bridge, so would he have not more than likely seen her conversation with Damon?

We saw a flashback of the first accident so yes, Stefan was the one who saved Elena. That was also the first time he saw her, he noticed her resemblance to Katherine and started stalking her.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

We saw flashbacks to Stefan rescuing Elena. And I don't think he had ever seen her until he saw her floating in the water, because we saw the startled look on his face. He didn't start stalking her until after he saved her.

In real terms, "maybe if I'd met you first" is meaningless. Maybe if I had met you and fallen in love with you first is more like it. I think it's just a tiny little bone the writers are using to keep the Delena fans from giving up. You can't fool me, writers, I see what you're doing there!

As a Delena fan, I'm not buying it. They're painting a story that fans of either ship could pounce on as "proof" that Elena feels one way or the other, but either camp could be crowing in delight right now (though granted, the Stelena fans should be at max squeeage right now.) They had Elena make a choice and say words that paralleled her giving up Matt, the guy she loves but isn't consumed by. ONly...Stefan more fits that bill while Damon is the one who consumed her, so how does that even make sense? Unless she chose Stefan because the last time she gave up the guy she loved but wasn't consumed by, things went to shit and stayed there. Or maybe she's grown up and being consumed is not what it was cracked up to be and a safe love is not a good thing?

It's just that, from a writer's POV, normally the character has some clear motivation, even if it's not clear immediately, and this is so murky, it seems like they just said hey, we have to make sure neither camp gives up, so let's make her act in the most confusing manner ever? I mean, last year, we had the "deathbed kissy thing" and this year she did the exact opposite and broke Damon's heart on what could be his deathbed. What's that all about??

SnowFox

SnowFox

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

In real terms, "maybe if I'd met you first" is meaningless. Maybe if I had met you and fallen in love with you first is more like it. I think it's just a tiny little bone the writers are using to keep the Delena fans from giving up. You can't fool me, writers, I see what you're doing there!

I agree. The writers are still trying to keep both fanbases interested. However, I'm a Damon fan first so it just annoys me. Besides it doesn't matter if Elena met Damon first, and doesn't remember it, because when Damon met Elena he was still in love with Katherine. The first thing Damon says to Elena is, "Katherine?"

I thought Damon/Alaric, Jeremy/Alaric, and Caroline/TylerKlaus goodbyes were more emotional and meaningful than Stefan/Elena and Damon/Elena.

haloeight

haloeight

Just Tuned In

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

We saw flashbacks to Stefan rescuing Elena. And I don't think he had ever seen her until he saw her floating in the water, because we saw the startled look on his face. He didn't start stalking her until after he saved her.

Right, thanks - I was thinking we'd only had Stefan's word for it and maybe wouldn't it be cool if he was lying to Elena. I still think there is something we don't know about the night he saved her. Something Damon knows too.