3-22: "The Departed" 2012.05.10 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

288 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

From Comcast.net:

The third season concludes with Elena wishing she could go back to simpler times when her parents were alive. Meanwhile, Stefan and Damon leave Mystic Falls on a mission; and Caroline and Tyler are forced to make a life-altering decision.

The finale already? Nooooooooo…

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 14, 2012 @ 11:34 PM.

RBK Premier

RBK Premier

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Elena is a vampire!!!!!!

jeromycraig

jeromycraig

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Holy. Crap. THAT is how you do a season finale.

sawyerspet

sawyerspet

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

At 8:50 I was all ready to bid this show goodbye. Now, all I'm remembering is "If we had met first" Oh yeah!

Melewen

Melewen

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

To whoever called Elena becoming a vamp, congrats. Maybe now she'll wise up and explore the world with [s]Stefan[/s] Damon.

ETA: protip - go easy on the gin in G&T's...

Edited by Melewen, May 10, 2012 @ 8:08 PM.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Bwahahaha, last week I said it'd be funny if they turned Elena on accident! I'm as psychic as Bonnie! Thing is, she seemed conscious and mobile when Stefan pulled Matt out of the trunk, why didn't she sidle over to the open door and attempt to swim out?

I'm glad Matt reacted about Tyler's supposed death, because none of the rest of them seemed to give a shit besides Caroline.

I didn't see the Klaus-in-Tyler thing coming. But great, he now possesses Caroline's BF so he can get close to her. Creepy.

Bonnie isn't getting pushed around by the spirits any more, so I guess she's next year's antagonist.

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Dear baby Jesus they did it. Meredith is crazy as fuck though. And please, please, PLEASE put Damon/Rebekah together. Their interactions were some of the highlights for me. As an added plus he can get grabby with her because she'll throw him around. Elena is too complicated, and vampire Elena will never be as flawless as Katherine and now she's around forever to torture the Salvatore's. Enough.

Hated that cheap ass retcon of the Damon/Elena meeting. FREE them both from this awful triangle.

So what happened to Tyler. Is he just lurking like Ric was when he was Klaric? Can we please get Anna back for Jeremy. Bonnie did the damn thing, but not sure Caroline is going to be a fan of hers. Especially if Tylaus starts dating her.

Edited by MrsJeter, May 10, 2012 @ 8:08 PM.

Crucial

Crucial

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

Bonnie, you should have been like this season 2. I loved Bonnie this episode and have to say I like Meredith too. I would have bet Elena would have got vampire blood from a vampirer and not Meredith. I'm glad Tyler is not dead but the whole Klaus possessing him? Couldn't there have been a better way? I'm really, really glad Elijah was no where in danger of that stake. I hope Matt isn't dead from this but I wondering if he really is. Can ghost Alaric show up every once in a while now too. Didn't like what they did with him but that part was so short lived, I will miss the Alaric I loved for three seasons if he is gone.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Ok, well that was a finale. I actually think I like this year's plotlines going forward more than last year.

Bonnie is finally going off the reservation and starting to kick ass and take names next year Yes!

If combine the Caroline/Tyler dynamic and the Caroline/Klaus dynamic in the most fucked up way possible Yes!

Although RIP Tyler that was super sad, wish it had been Matt.

Rebekah's alive and she's the one who killed Elena after Damon rescued her, also Elena chooses Stefan now that she lost her humanity, Yes!

Lastly, Elena's a vampire and the transformation into Katherine Pierce continues Yes!

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Is it wrong that I was more upset about Klaus than I was about Tyler? And if Klaus is now in Tyler's body, how will I ever get Joseph Morgan back? I thought Trevino did some of Klaus' mannerisms well, but dude should have worked on the accent.

At 8:50 I was all ready to bid this show goodbye. Now, all I'm remembering is "If we had met first" Oh yeah!

Still, even thinking he was going to die, she breaks Damon's heart once again. Still, I think she loves Stefan and what he represents to her, but she's IN love with Damon.

I was yelling at the TV when Elena was shaking her finger at Stefan to save Matt. Well, duh, you get the unconscious guy out and the girl who is all ferociously telling you to save the other person will unhook herself and swim out...only she just sits there and dies. If it turns out she did it on purpose so that Evil Ric would die, okay, but otherwise, that was stupid.

SnowFox

SnowFox

Fanatic

Alaric died in Damon's arms.

I knew there was a reason that crow was following Elena around in the first episode of Season One.

I love how Damon has no problem going up against vampires he knows are 1000x stronger than he is.

Klaus in Tyler's body? This guy just won't die. Speaking of which why is Matt still alive?

Our life is one long coin toss.

Kirblar

Kirblar

Video Archivist

Tyler's alive. He's just possessed by Klaus in the same way Alaric was in S2.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

I knew they would turn Elena. I just knew it. Now let's see how they handle Vamp!Elena. As long as she does not end up like Vamp! Bella Swan, then I could really go for this.

It may just be me, but I groaned when that Damon/Elena real first meeting scene popped up. I was hoping they wouldn't go there. So Damon had technically been in town since May 2009? Or did he happen to leave after meeting her and then came back in September? However, I did like their first meeting banter. It seemed natural, but the whole scene itself felt forced.

Yay for Dark Bonnie! But what is Tyler gonna do now? He's gonna be stuck either hiding or being out of town until people discover Klaus is actually alive.

Poor Jeremy. Seeing Alaric's ghost and then realizing his sister and guardian are now both dead? Damn. And the scene where Alaric dies and Damon grabs his body. Now, is he crying because he knows Elena is dead or because his best friend just died again? I wouldn't mind if it was both, but I have a feeling it's the former. And seriously Damon? Yelling at Jeremy and calling him an idiot for saving Elena's life? I don't think he had any doctors on speed dial, so it was either watch Elena die for real or risk Alaric coming for her and not getting killed. Dick.

Good for Matt for taking Elena out of town AND giving a shit about Tyler. But seriously, Stefan's face when he was about to tell Caroline about Klaus' death was powerful. But seriously, I'm over this triangle.

All in all, I don't know how I feel about the finale.

ETA: Oh, I guess I missed the part where Tyler was revealed to be possessed by Klaus. How did I miss that? I knew something was off but I guess I just missed bits of that Bonnie/Tyler scene, even though I didn't leave the room!

Edited by jessied112, May 10, 2012 @ 8:16 PM.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

Tyler's alive. He's just possessed by Klaus in the same way Alaric was in S2.

However, unlike with Alaric and Rebekah; Klaus was dead therefore it has to be permanent so the bloodline stays intact, even though it should be connected to Klaus's body not his mind, but that storyline is so compelling I'll allow it.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Ok that ranks about a 9 on the Wait! What? scale.

The Tyler/Caroline/Klaus triangle just got weird.

Did the doctor just turn Elena?

Bonnie has finally turned dark witch on us....not surprising that been coming for awhile now. My question with her is will she be the big bad of next season?

It looks like the Council and most of the vampires in town have been outed. That could be...interesting.

That was a quick resolution to Alaric...not a bad thing...didn't like him anyway.

All in all...Wait! What?

Denari06

Denari06

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

I cried once and it was when I realized that Jeremy (and he slowly realized) he's pretty much all alone. Alaric is dead. Elena is a vampire and will likely be more consumed by her vampires next year....he made me cried.

Suspectno1

Suspectno1

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

I actually thought the season finale was underwhelming, the last 10mins were really good but apart from that was a bit bored.

So was that Klaus talking to Caroline when she was crying? Erm really creepy urgh I really hope they do not go there next season, Klaus pretending to be Tyler and getting cozy with Caroline.

So does this mean that Bonnie will be working with Klaus now, nice to see her do her own thing, this whole season she was just being bossed around, interested to see where exactly they will go with her character next season.

Also eventhough it wasnt really Tyler lol it was nice to finally get a scene with Tyler/Bonnie.

Edited by Suspectno1, May 10, 2012 @ 8:18 PM.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Is anyone else confused by the Bonnie / Klaus subplot? I knew something was up when she needed a moment alone in the storage locker. To me it seemed like she wanted to kill Klaus to avenge all the wrong he did, but didn't want all her friends dying in the process. But if that's right, I don't see what swapping Klaus into Tyler's body would do.

Otherwise, HOLY CRAP what an awesome episode! I loved the Elena flashbacks, it fleshed out her character, provided really nice parallels to the modern stuff. I definitely teared up when Alaric came back as a ghost, but at least he seemed at peace.

I really wanted Caroline and Tyler to have a happily ever after! Can't wait to see what's in store for them. Gosh I can't even think, that was a great episode!

ETA: and to whoever was thinking Elena should have just popped open her seat belt and got out of the car, I had always thought that too until I learned that seat belts don't work very well under water. The tensioners also do have electric current (at least the newer ones do) so they won't work. I have a special cutter that will cut the seat belt in that instance in my car.

Edited by Elli DC, May 10, 2012 @ 8:23 PM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I don't think that was a possession spell, I think that was a "swapping spell".(those were the words used) I think Tyler is dead and Klaus is now living in his body, Klaus' body is destroyed.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

The only I don't get out of the Klaus/Bonnie subplot is how did Bonnie do it and why did she pick Tyler? She could have gone with any vampire Klaus's turned in the immediate area so why not, other than plot contraviance, do for Damon.

sawyerspet

sawyerspet

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Still, even thinking he was going to die, she breaks Damon's heart once again. Still, I think she loves Stefan and what he represents to her, but she's IN love with Damon.

Well, she's Elena so she has to break Damon's heart. But as soon as they replayed that whole scene of her meeting Damon at the bonfire and him compelling her to forget, I knew that the whole plot of choosing Stefan changes next year because she'll remember that she DID meet Damon first.

So makes sense why Damon and Meredith will also become the possible drinking buddies next year. She saved Elena which makes her alright now.

So many plots to deal with--loving the whole Tyler/Klaus/Carolyn twist. And Rebekah lives which I'm thrilled about too.(And hopefully Elijah gets to stick around??? And maybe Kol stroll back to town). There's the fallout of Alaric's reveal to the council unless someone does some real fast compelling of a whole lot of people. Bonnie is now an A-#1 nasty and I think that will be interesting to watch.

So I guess I may be tuning in next year after all.

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 10, 2012 @ 8:32 PM.
Fixed quote tags

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Did the doctor just turn Elena?

With whose blood? The one she stole from Damon? It kind of matters now when there's an indestructable stake and Original bloodlines to consider...

The only I don't get out of the Klaus/Bonnie subplot is how did Bonnie do it and why did she pick Tyler? She could have gone with any vampire Klaus's turned in the immediate area so why not, other than plot contraviance, do for Damon.

Maybe it couldn't be a vampire and had to be a hybrid?

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Yeah it probably had to do with Klaus's sire bond to Tyler.

Wrong Heaven

Wrong Heaven

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Still processing everything[s] and blowing my nose.[/s]

Is it wrong that I really want a definite answer on whether or not Elijah was involved in the plan to kill Elena? Because that would really bum me out.

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

I thought about that, but they needed Tyler to "die" for Alaric to believe that Klaus had died, and move on to the other Originals. There was no way to get to Tyler in time to tell him what the plan was. She had no way of knowing that Alaric would be useless after this episode.

TrishaLyn

TrishaLyn

Channel Surfer

That was one hell of a finale, I don't even know what to think really.

Actually saw the Elena turning vamp thing weeks ago so wasn't too shocked about that. Still was mad cool how they did it though.

Figured Alaric was a goner since Matt Davis has a new show next season. Still was sad as hell though when Jeremy realized that because he was seeing ghost!Alaric that meant his sister was dead.

Bonnie being a bit of a badass? Awesome. Though that will throw a serious kink in her friendship with Caroline when Care finds out that Bonnie basically conspired to kill her boyfriend.

Speaking of, that was the biggest shocker for me - the whole Tyler/Klaus switch-a-roo. I'm actually super confused. Did they actually switch bodies or has Klaus merely possessed Tyler's? Was there even anyone in Klaus' body when he was staked? If so, does that mean Tyler (who would have been within the body) is gone for good or is he just being supressed in his own body by Klaus? Basically, my question is surrounding what the heck they are going to do next season - is Joseph Morgan gone for good since it appears that Klaus' body burned? Is Michael Trevino going to be tasked with "playing" Klaus for the rest of the series? Or is there a way for the show to keep them both, meaning is there a way to "revive(?)" Klaus' body? ... Crap, I'm confusing myself.

Basically, as somebody who likes both Tyler, Klaus, and both actors, I'm gonna be a bit bummed if any of them are gone for good.

Edited by TrishaLyn, May 10, 2012 @ 8:27 PM.

Crucial

Crucial

Video Archivist

I don't think that was a possession spell, I think that was a "swapping spell".(those were the words used) I think Tyler is dead and Klaus is now living in his body, Klaus' body is destroyed.

So it was kind of like the one spell Bonnie used with Elena and John at the end of season two but slightly altered in that Klaus has control over Tyler and it's not just his soul?

Is Michael Trevino going to be tasked with "playing" Klaus for the rest of the series? Or is there a way for the show to keep them both, meaning is there a way to "revive(?)" Klaus' body?

I hope he isn't because I don't think he will be able to play another character - I am judging this by Matt Davis being Klaus first (probably not fair). I hope some way, Joseph comes back to play Klaus.

Edited by Crucial, May 10, 2012 @ 8:31 PM.

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Is it wrong that I was more upset about Klaus than I was about Tyler? And if Klaus is now in Tyler's body, how will I ever get Joseph Morgan back? I thought Trevino did some of Klaus' mannerisms well, but dude should have worked on the accent.

I'm really going to miss Joseph Morgan because I thought he was HOT. I didn't think this finale would shock me, but I'm still shocked by the way things turned out. Elena a vamp next season? Tyler possibly dead by Bonnie's hand? Alaric a ghost? Next season should be wild.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

I don't get how the whole meeting Damon first thing is going to matter? Elena chose Stefan, because she fell in love with him first, because he gave her a reason to live after the accident. Meeting Damon first doesn't change that. If anything, the reason they would break up is Stefan is in love with Elena's humanity and it reminding him of his own. Now that Elena is a vamp, and the line between Elena/Kat blur even farther for Stefan, and considering Kat always chose him.

KatTV

KatTV

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

I am strangely underwhelmed by the finale.

That was a choice? Come on Elena. It was a non-choice. It was like she chose Stefan by default, not because she really wanted to. Well she did make it clear that she didn't want to choose anyone. And now Elena is a vampire? It would certainly seem that way since she died with vamp blood in her system. Of course we don't know whose bloodline turned her. Did Meredith have any vamp blood that wasn't Damon's?

Well, now that Elena is a vampire, even if only for a short time, she'll remember all of the stuff that Damon compelled her to forget and her choice to stick with Stefan won't last one whole episode into the new season.

Now, Klaus' body is gone isn't it? It went up in flames, didn't it? So is it safe to say Joseph Morgan will not be reappearing in the flesh? What kind of spell did Bonnie do? She let Klaus take over Tyler's body? What a bitch move that was. And she did it to save who? Damon, Stefan, Caroline, Tyler, and Abby? Except not so much Damon, Stefan, and Tyler. What the hell does she get out of the deal? Saving Caroline and Abby and hiding them from Alaric, who by the way, is now dead? I don't like that maneuver at all.

I wanted to see more Elijah. They really didn't use him well. And he seemed pissed at the end that Mystic Falls gang were all alive. WTF? How can he be mad at them? It's his crazy family that is at the root of all evil, LITERALLY. They have made deal after deal with Elijah, so nothing ever really pans out, but whose fault is that? Elijah couldn't even stand Klaus. I liked it when Elena sounded suspicious of Elijah's motives for wanting Klaus' body. I wish they had pursued that avenue.

So, did anyone really die? Evil Alaric died, but will return as a ghost. Klaus is now in Tyler's body, and everyone else made it through. Elena turned, and Matt lives. Geesh. This kind of sucks. I didn't cry a single tear. Not even close.

Damon did have some great lines: Hey Stefan, Have I thanked you for not being the DUMBEST brother in the world? So true Jeremy.

I hoped for more from the brothers at the end as well.

I liked that Liz and Carol were united in their plan for the kids.

Well, at least Rebekah and Elijah lived. Boy is Rebekah unhappy now. Damon saved her, and she still went after Elena. She didn't care about Matt too much either.

Oh well. I am not going to be counting the minutes till fall.