1-20: "Legacy" 2012.05.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

125 replies to this topic

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

• Interests:TV series (both live action and anime), movies (ditto), gaming, music, clinical psychology, religion.

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

(3) David's alcoholic friend was going to help Amanda, got murdered, and then Amanda went all Dark Willow

To be honest, #3 was both interesting and unnecessary. I had no problem believing that Amanda would want to avenge her father's situation, even without the motivation of his only friend being murdered. I guess the show wanted us to see how she came around to believing her father was innocent and what made her decide to take everyone down, but this episode seemed like it was treading water.

I think it was useful in that it showed a certain "someone needs to stop these people" side to Amanda's initial motivation. On a practical level, knowing that the Graysons are still killing people who could expose them doesn't leave Amanda with many choices. If the Graysons ever found out she was rich again, she would register on their radar and would be in danger.

Jack's hair was especially silly in the very first scene, with that hat/cap/I-was-laughing-too-hard-to-see-what-it-was. Amanda's dreamy eyes and the music were comedy gold in that context. Unintentional, I presume.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

This may just be me being dense, but do we know why Nolan sought out the Porters in the first place? Why would he be hanging out with Jack's father, and seeking to be a big brother to Jack and Declan?

And do we know if Jack is aware of Nolan buying the house?

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

This may just be me being dense, but do we know why Nolan sought out the Porters in the first place? Why would he be hanging out with Jack's father, and seeking to be a big brother to Jack and Declan?

I thought that Nolan just happened to buy property that included Jack's house (as he told Jack's father) and didn't think anything of it until Jack mentioned where he lived and that soem "rich parasite" bought all the houses. Nolan only came across the Stowaway because he was following Amanda who was being sentimental and then Jack mentioned the shot deal and he had nothing better to do so he showed up.

I'm a little annoyed at Jack for blaming Nolan for the kiss because when Jack showed up Nolan was clearly flailing and not wanting to be there. This does explain why it took Jack so long to warm up to Nolan, though.

And I think Mason Treadwell deserves another dose of revenge. He was so nonchalant about the fact that his actions caused a man to die.

It wasn't his fault, though. The Graysons totally overreacted and he had no way of knowing they'd kill a man without any real indication he was going to do anything. Victoria was acting like he was some sort of monster because Conrad had Frank kill a man. Way to totally mis-assign blame.

Edited by Princess Aldrea, May 11, 2012 @ 11:34 AM.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

My take on Lydia hissing about coveting the Dolce or what's inside was a peek into her own psyche. Lydia is coveting everything about Victoria's life: her husband, her house, her status, her fashion, etc.

snrd0822

snrd0822

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

That's the one thing about this show - the Hamptons is just a summer destination for this class of people. With the divorce and the trial, I guess I could justify the show taking place in the Hamptons until New Years. I know they'll stay there with the show because of Jack and they have to keep him involved somehow. But it's my one major gripe with the show.

I live near Philadelphia and a lot of my neighbors have houses at the Jersey Shore. It's kind of a thing for a lot of people to go to their beach houses for New Years, would not be surprised if it's something people do in the Hamptons as well. I'm not sure why - probably started out with some people liking the solitude of the beach in winter but I've seen photos of the beach on New Year's Day and it is NOT deserted anymore. The Greysons seem to be pretty big on particular annual parties so this actually does seem like something they would do.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

It wasn't his fault, though. The Graysons totally overreacted and he had no way of knowing they'd kill a man without any real indication he was going to do anything. Victoria was acting like he was some sort of monster because Conrad had Frank kill a man. Way to totally mis-assign blame.

It wasn't his fault that the man died, but he was shockingly cold about the whole thing after he realized what happened.

I don't buy his motivation for writing the letter at all. He made his fortune by helping convince the world that the Graysons were innocent, and by doing Victoria's bidding. Now he's going to write about the Graysons and their associates feuding?

Does that mean that he was going to reveal the truth? If so, he was a moron for telling Victoria that he was going to do it.

Edited by BlakeSpeare, May 11, 2012 @ 2:27 PM.

hannahjane

hannahjane

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Someone upthread made reference to Amanda's father being "wealthy." I don't necessarily agree with that. David did tell Victoria that all that he could afford to buy was a "fixer," so many things could have happened. Perhaps he was still somewhat entry-level and not making Grayson money. Maybe Amanda's mom left and took much of his money (a good chunk if they ended up divorced). Even though they are living in the Hamptons, so are the Porters, so I think David was just trying to provide a good home and "high society" for Amanda while growing up, even if he couldn't necessarily afford to live like the others do.

rivermet

rivermet

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

OK compared to the Grayson's David Clarke might not be wealthy but even a fixer in the Hamptons along the beach costs serious cash.

felicity porter

felicity porter

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

OK compared to the Grayson's David Clarke might not be wealthy but even a fixer in the Hamptons along the beach costs serious cash.

And the Graysons and the Porters live in different parts of the Hamptons. My sense was that the Porters were essentially townies, who lived in more modest accommodations year-round than people who summered there.

yuggapukka

yuggapukka

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

thalia ann
what are you coveting? The Dolce Gabana or what's inside it?

I wasn't sure whether she was insinuating that the peon servant girl wanted to jump Victoria or be Victoria. Probably the latter. Anyway, it was said in a tone that reeked of "in your poor, pitiful dreams, sweetie."

JenE4
My take on Lydia hissing about coveting the Dolce or what's inside was a peek into her own psyche. Lydia is coveting everything about Victoria's life: her husband, her house, her status, her fashion, etc.

I agree with both of these. There was a very hateful tone to Lydias's comment, as thought she is someone who needs to utilize the small measure of power she has, as both an attractive woman and someone attached to prominent people in order to cope with how little she has in comparison to them. She picks on people she identifies as less than herself and who can't fight back.

Edited by yuggapukka, May 11, 2012 @ 8:41 PM.

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

• Interests:Sci-Fi TV shows and films, Sci-Fi books such as Star Trek and Star Wars, reading Sci-Fi fanfic and BtVS fanfic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

thalia ann

what are you coveting? The Dolce Gabana or what's inside it?

While I did get a lesbian vibe from the latter question in hindsight I suspect that what Lydia meant about QV's body was did Amanda want the cosmetic surgery to get it which would've cost a great deal more money than a mere caterer could afford. But as to another poster's above comments when I do think about it while QV and Lydia are friends there's a distinct tone of envy and jealousy in Lydia's comment to Amanda, remember that Lydia is very much the junior friend in a highly unequal friendship. That could be another reason why Lydia initiated her affair with Conrad (Blech!!!).

Edited by Tweeky, May 11, 2012 @ 8:52 PM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I thought that when Amanda addressed Mason Treadwell as "Lee," he would realize who she was but nope, too busy enjoying his little party game and screwing with Victoria for him to notice. Not that I can blame him for wanting to screw with Victoria. Despite his fame and wealth, at that point he was still disgusted by her.

waltzingsoprano

waltzingsoprano

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:44 AM

when Amanda addressed Mason Treadwell as "Lee,"

Am I missing something major here? It was bugging me all episode that she addressed him as "Leo" I was so sure his name was Mason. Did she call him that as a kid or something? I can't remember.

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

• Interests:Sci-Fi TV shows and films, Sci-Fi books such as Star Trek and Star Wars, reading Sci-Fi fanfic and BtVS fanfic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:51 AM

When Mason Treadwell was introduced she told Amily (I think) that when she first met him as a girl she knew him as Leo Treadwell, so Treadwell changed his first name from Leo to Mason somewhere inbetween the time she met him and 2002 for reasons yet to be explained (although my guess is that "Mason" was the first name of some author or journalist he'd admired).

Edited by Tweeky, May 12, 2012 @ 3:52 AM.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

So basically, Nolan is a hard nosed businessman, but is a softie when it comes to certain people.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

I really liked this episode. I think because it was very character focused namely on Amanda, Nolan, and Victoria/David as well. It was refreshing to see old Amanda and for a flashback episode, it was very good.

But as to another poster's above comments when I do think about it while QV and Lydia are friends there's a distinct tone of envy and jealousy in Lydia's comment to Amanda, remember that Lydia is very much the junior friend in a highly unequal friendship. That could be another reason why Lydia initiated her affair with Conrad (Blech!!!).

Yes, I thought there was indeed projection in there. Lydia and Victoria were good friends and now serious enemies for the same reason, they both are ambitious social climbers. Lydia's comment showed that she was arrogant, rude and jealous herself. She has shown to want to be Victoria: live near her and her attraction to Conrad seems to be only due in part to how she wants more power. Blech indeed.

Maxymama

Maxymama

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

Emily's tattoo was a bad idea. It's very recognizable. I guess she was more reckless and emotional in the beginning.

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Well she could always get it lasered off.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Emily's tattoo was a bad idea. It's very recognizable. I guess she was more reckless and emotional in the beginning.

Well, so far, the only people who know the significance of the symbol are Emanda and Dead David Clarke. Although it might be a good idea for her to remove it from the porch.

---
Nolan had a connection with David Clarke while he was in prison; so I wonder why Nolan couldn't do anything to get Amanda out of the foster system?

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

Nolan had a connection with David Clarke while he was in prison; so I wonder why Nolan couldn't do anything to get Amanda out of the foster system?

Well for one thing she was probably under surveillance from allies of the Graysons, do keep in mind the reason why QV had her institutionalised in the first place. Secondly Nolan is an unrelated male and she was a little girl so it might've looked a bit suspicious plus Nolan was still discovering just how devious, ruthless and extensive the conspiracy was to frame David. Without knowing more it was probably too risky for Nolan to atepmt anything like that.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

One thing that bugged me, not as a plot hole but possibly as a plot thread that they left dangling. In the flashback to meeting David Clarke, Victoria invited the “whole family” over for brunch. David said something about it just being him and Amanda now. Victoria said something like “sorry for your loss” and mentioned grieving.

Did she jump to that conclusion, or was it based on prior knowledge? Her other interactions with him suggested that she didn’t know anything about him before that night, so it seems unlikely that she already knew he was a widower.

Even more telling was David’s ambiguous wording. He never stated that his wife was dead. It makes me wonder if this will come back later, like she ran off when Amanda was little and David just implied that she passed away.

-Why in the flashback does Nolan discourage Amanda from seeking revenge and tells her that she wouldn't be able to take down the Graysons on her own, but when he meets up with her again in the pilot, he is eager to hop on the revenge train and immediately offers his help? Why is his 2011 response completely different than his response in 2002?

In 2002, he hadn’t moved to the Hamptons yet. By 2011, he had 9 years to experience how loathsome the Hamptonites were and was ready to help Emanda. He initially thought her Revenge schemes would be petty (like what she did to Lydia) but started having qualms as they got more intense and violent.

My sense was that the Porters were essentially townies, who lived in more modest accommodations year-round than people who summered there.

This makes me wonder about the Porters’ house. Nolan bought up several adjacent properties to build his chrome-and-glass home, ok. But his house has a spectacular view of the ocean, and looks like prime real estate. How were the Porters able to afford that location even before Momma-Porter ran off?

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Even more telling was David’s ambiguous wording. He never stated that his wife was dead. It makes me wonder if this will come back later, like she ran off when Amanda was little and David just implied that she passed away.

Yeah, they're totally saving the Mother for some future storyline. (<-- My speculation)

Navona

Navona

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

I'm confused about Amanda's age - I am guessing she had to be about 18 or 20 to be a server at that party (legally, age 21 but it is TV), so let's say 20 years old in 2002. Is she supposed to now be about 30 years old? I thought she was supposed to be younger.

Color me confused.

Boy, they really are a nest of vipers - murdering people left and right.

Edited by Navona, May 15, 2012 @ 7:23 PM.

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

I think that Mama Porter will turn up some time in S2 also, what do you think are the odds she's going to be as a much a bitch as QV is?

evalusion

evalusion

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

I'm confused about Amanda's age - I am guessing she had to be about 18 or 20 to be a server at that party (legally, age 21 but it is TV), so let's say 20 years old in 2002. Is she supposed to now be about 30 years old? I thought she was supposed to be younger.

You don't even have to be 18 to serve liquor at a catering function (or at least, that's what they always told us-- maybe I was working for shady event planners, but it happens all the time that teenagers are working catering gigs where liquor is served, and anyway, she was already rich and could have easily had a quality fake ID for emergency club/bar/employment purposes-- scanning technology to detect fakes wasn't as advanced then as it is now, and while a woman looking like Emanda wouldn't get carded much in NYC anyway, it wouldn't hurt for her to have a fake ID with all the clubbing she was apparently doing.) Since it seemed like that was only a few months after she got out of juvie, she was probably still 18 at the time of the catering gig. That would make her 27/28 depending on when her birthday is. I think at some point upon arrival to the Hampton's she was supposed to be 26, or maybe that was just speculation? So the timeline is a little fuzzy, but not that far off. I'm also not sure if "Emily Thorne" is the exact same as Amanda?

Tweeky

Tweeky

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

evalusion i'm a bit hazy with the timeline too however Emanda would have to have been 18 in this episode so that would make her around 27-28, i'm not sure but I get the distinct impression that Daniel may be a year or two younger than she is.

Anyway i've been watching some Revenge reruns and I do believe this episode is in at least one regard a retcon. Why? Well in this flashback episode Amanda runs into Nolan when she's out doing her first recon of the Graysons and there associates at their New Years eve party incognito as a caterer and he knows what she's up to, yet in episodes 4 and 5 when Lydia when discovers Amanda by accident in a photo from the 2002 party under cover as a caterer and Emanda mentions that she was under cover as Amanda Clarke not Emily Thorne, Nolan was surprised at what she did as though it was the first he'd heard about it.

Edited by Tweeky, May 16, 2012 @ 5:01 PM.

felicity porter

felicity porter

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

My sense was that the Porters were essentially townies, who lived in more modest accommodations year-round than people who summered there.

This makes me wonder about the Porters’ house. Nolan bought up several adjacent properties to build his chrome-and-glass home, ok. But his house has a spectacular view of the ocean, and looks like prime real estate. How were the Porters able to afford that location even before Momma-Porter ran off?

I see one of two plausible explanations: (1) gentrification or (2) Revenge plot-hole. I think #2 is more likely.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

I liked the use of "Party In Da Club" and the mentions of the D.C. sniper. Set the year without hitting us over the head with it.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

Anyway i've been watching some Revenge reruns and I do believe this episode is in at least one regard a retcon. Why? Well in this flashback episode Amanda runs into Nolan when she's out doing her first recon of the Graysons and there associates at their New Years eve party incognito as a caterer and he knows what she's up to, yet in episodes 4 and 5 when Lydia when discovers Amanda by accident in a photo from the 2002 party under cover as a caterer and Emanda mentions that she was under cover as Amanda Clarke not Emily Thorne, Nolan was surprised at what she did as though it was the first he'd heard about it.

Oh, that is true. Nice catch.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

I thought Nolan was surprised that Emanda used her real name while being undercover not that she was working undercover.