3-19: "Prom-asaurus" 2012.05.08 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

246 replies to this topic

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

"Dinosaur" made my ears bleed,

Is that a Kesha song? I feel like its a Kesha song.

Edited because Google confirms it is...goddamn you Kesha.

Edited by nicole8705, May 9, 2012 @ 9:18 AM.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

Rachel's monologue about the death of a dream (gag) had me enraged because she botched one stinking audition? The girl who has pretty much won every other thing she's tried for as a performer with ND is going to let herself get completely thrown because she might fail to get into one school? Seriously show? Rachel not only doesn't have the fortitude to survive on Broadway, she doesn't have the fortitute to stand in line to get the cheap discount tickets at the TKTS booth. Anyone who's going to bid farewell to their dreams over one setback had better stay home because New York will eat Rachel alive. Maybe she should talk to Kurt about perservering when you get rejected for pretty much every single thing you try for.

Well Rachel could have always gone straight to the Lima Bean to fill out an application once she thought that she had no chance of getting into her dream school. Then again Kurt already pulled that one. Maybe she should have just quietly sulked over losing something she wanted. Oh wait, Kurt already beat her to that punch too. Such perseverance these two kids have. Actual show canon is a funny thing.

Did I miss some scene where Rachel told Quinn she wanted to be prom queen and deserves it more?

NOPE.

Edited by Mnemosyne78, May 9, 2012 @ 9:22 AM.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

And her comments to Quinn (which inspired Quinn to rig the election in Rachel's favor) was also sickening. Quinn has been through a hell of a lot in the past three years. She got pregnant, thrown out of her home and had to depend on the charity of others so she wouldn't end up on the streets. She gave up her baby, had Finn dump her twice for Rachel, lost pretty much everything important to her and just when her life was starting to come back together, is nearly permanently paralyzed in a car wreak on her way to support Rachel's child bride fantasy. So what if she wanted just to be prom queen? Sure, it's a childish and petty thing, but it's not the end of the world. But no, she's got to have Finn in her face for not revealing that after months of physical therapy, she can manage to take one or two assisted steps. And then give up the title that she won in order to make poor woobie Rachel feel better about herself.

while I think Rachel shouldn't have bothered with Quinn at all, I thought her comments to Quinn were far more complimentary than they needed to be, she told her their friendship meant the world to her (which, really? Rachel needs to stop). She also told Quinn she voted for her and she still saw her as the beautiful blonde popular chick. None of that seemed like it was supposed to convince Quinn to hand prom queen over to Rachel, that was Quinns choice.

I really would have been happier if Rachel had never won prom queen. Its so trite and obvious, and annoying since that shit wasn't even her dream. Rachel Berry does not give two shits about high school proms. I think NYADA grief drove her temporarily insane because none of that made much sense (I did enjoy Rachel worrying about pigs blood when she was dancing with Finn, she's a little bit psychic y'know)

RacheltheGreat

RacheltheGreat

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

I agree with this 100%. I don't feel like disabled people need to be portrayed as naive, sweet, unassuming, etc. on TV shows, but I don't think ANYONE, disabled or not should be THAT big of a bitch. I cringed for the entirety of most of her scenes. (Except, of course, when I was distracted by Mark Salling in his underwear. Yes, please.) Becky, to me, wasn't funny at all. She's as much of a bully as anyone else. I was so worried they'd give her prom queen out of some sense of misplaced principle. (Although. . .Rachel getting it was almost as bad.)

My problem with Becky is that when she was the token disabled girl in Wheels she was the sweet, unassuming sterotype and now she's flat out obnoxious bitch. True, she's no longer a sterotype but they've gone so far the other way that she's just awful. Glee needs to learn about the middle ground.

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

Well, that certainly was rather underwhelming. Which is probably to be expected in an episode that rested so heavily on Brittany.

For me, the character works best when used solely as a one-liners dispensing-machine. Provided in small, discrete doses and well-spread over time. As soon as they try to give her something more substantial to do, they run into the limits in the character's design as well as, more critically, into the actress' many limitations. Which she displayed in full last night. At least she can dance well, in her rather limited up-beat and peppy fashion.

But then, they had to let Brittany have her way with a poor innocent song.

I think her performance of last night will provide gainful employment for physicists over several years, as they try to figure out the exact nature of those strange new air vibrations she was generating, because that can't really be equated to what we know as "sounds", can it? Much less sounds generated naturally by a human throat in a minimally structured and pleasant manner...

Regarding the character itself, I guess Brittany is allowed to arbitrarily decide what constitutes bullying while consistently acting as a bully herself (aided and abetted by her more-loathsome-than-usual girlfriend)? And yet no one bats an eye because it's just "dumb" Brittany doing her thing. Her moment of apparent self-realisation about her own abusive behaviour towards the end certainy was not enough to redeem her in my eyes, especially since it was sprinkled with another instance of insult.

Becky's story could have been sweet, if not for the creepy sexually obsessive harasser vibe she projects, especially with Puck in that strip poker game. But again, she is excused from any responsabillity because of her "special" condition, which allows her behaviour to pass as socially acceptable bullying. Puck as potential sexual predator certainly did not help to make the scene work any better.

As for the rest of the episode, it makes last year's Prom episode look Emmy-worthy in comparison; even the songs were mostly forgettable, except for thar Big Girls Don't Cry one, as long as you cut out Kurt's screaky contribution.

Blaine's ungelled hair gag really fizzled. After all that build-up, I was expecting something really monstrous and all we got was a perfectly acceptable mop of locks. This was Glee failing to deliver on the promised merchandise; the story of this whole episode actually, including the aborted anti-prom plotline. Unless they wanted to show us that the abuse of gel is just an insecurity on the part of Blaine, unfounded as are so many teen insecurities. But that is probably too subtle for the show.

As usual, much PDAs for straight couples, especially for Finchel (although these two have as much sizzle together as two uncooked slices of bacon lying side by side), while the gay couples had to be satisfied with Blaine sneaking in a quick neck nuzzle as he and Kurt were dancing.

Edited by MGaboriau, May 9, 2012 @ 9:35 AM.

Spiffy

Spiffy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

May I ask what the point was of this line?

"I can't believe that my entire high school career is going to end the exact same way it started- just some sad little Jewish girl watching you get all the attention with the pretty blonde cheerleader."

Fuck you, Ryan Murphy.

daniella1

daniella1

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

She wasn't slowly regaining the use of her legs....she was manipulating both her injury and her recovery to win Prom Queen. "The crowd will go wild?" Oh please.

From what was shown, she was struggling to walk during rehab and didn't want to announce it until she was sure, which is understandable. So she was trying to gain sympathy votes, that doesn't justify being physically manhandled or screamed at in front of the entire school.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

Becky's story could have been sweet, if not for the creepy sexually obsessive harasser vibe she projects, especially with Puck in that strip poker game. But again, she is excused from any responsabillity because of her "special" condition, which allows her behaviour to pass as socially acceptable bullying. Puck as potential sexual predator certainly did not help to make the scene work any better.

I didn't really like Becky in this episode until the Puck/Becky thing kicked in, but I didn't get a "sexual predator" vibe from her. Just a teenage horndog. She didn't force him to play or touch him in any way, and I thought Mark did a great job keeping a very innocent, non-sexual tone to their interaction, a pretty valiant accomplishment considering how little he was wearing and how effortlessly sexual he is in general. Watching the post-poker scenes, I felt I got a glimpse at what Puck is like with his own kid sister.

May I ask what the point was of this line?

"I can't believe that my entire high school career is going to end the exact same way it started- just some sad little Jewish girl watching you get all the attention with the pretty blonde cheerleader."

To destroy any last vestiges of Rachel's character that might be still be lingering around?

It's no surprise to me that Ryan Murphy wrote this shitfest. He is obsessed with the idea of the poor, sad, ugly, loser girl "winning" the handsome popular quarterback, and this just plays into that. And it's why Finchel will never break up. He wanted the loser guy to end up with the popular girl to show him "winning" on Popular, and now he gets to see it play out with Rachel. So the unecessary rehash of the Quinn/Rachel rivalry over Finn is apt. It's revolting. Murphy sees Finn as Rachel's ultimate prize to prove that the average girl can get the guy she would normally not be worthy of. Never mind that Rachel is the one who is the real prize, and that after about five minutes in New York she'd have hordes of men lining up for her. Never mind that another popular jock liked her and found her hot. Or a popular show choir star. Nope, Finn is the only sign that Rachel isn't just another loser. Not her talent, or her beauty, or her kindness, or anything else that makes her special. Just Finn. He's all she needs.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Nope, Finn is the only sign that Rachel isn't just another loser. Not her talent, or her beauty, or her kindness, or anything else that makes her special. Just Finn. He's all she needs.

The worst part is in an episode where we're supposed to think Finn is awesome and what every girl would want (especially with the heroic way he tried to make Quinn walk by physically imposing in her personal space), Puck seems like he's the better catch. He was charming, respectful, completely adorable and superhot in his underwear ;). I know which one of them I'd vote for (and it's not Finn).

She wasn't slowly regaining the use of her legs....she was manipulating both her injury and her recovery to win Prom Queen. "The crowd will go wild?" Oh please.

Ehh, I'm still on her side. I wish her crazy ass had just taken the win and shoved it in Finn's face. I hate the way she has to be manipulative shrew so Finn looks like the "good" guy even when he yells at her and shoves people.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

I think Becky has caught Sue's attitude/bitchiness. My question is where are her parents? It's ridiculous enough that these kids have so little interaction with their parents in general, but (for example) how did Becky get to that hotel? Her parents were okay with her hanging out in a hotel room with a bunch of kids they've never met?

edhopper

edhopper

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

How about this little exchange:
Principle: "Madam President, you are failing all your classes, without a successful prom you won't get into college."

WTF!?! I can't even get my head around the inanity of that statement.

And yes that is Dame Helen Mirren doing the VO for Becky.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

I now understand Kurt's panic about the presidency slightly better. Obviously if you're elected as one you can do whatever you please and fail all your classes, as long as you throw a good party at the end you'll go to college despite a transcript of straight Fs. I wonder why more people weren't in the running!

Edited by a finn gleek, May 9, 2012 @ 10:27 AM.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

How about this little exchange:
Principle: "Madam President, you are failing all your classes, without a successful prom you won't get into college."

WTF!?! I can't even get my head around the inanity of that statement.

Sometimes I wonder if these writers even went to highschool or college because they have such a terrible understanding of how these things actually work. Then again I graduated over 10 years ago and yet I still know that planning a successful prom has fuck all to do with getting into college. Jesus, Chris just graduated 3 years ago, right?!! Can't they at least ask him to try and get these things right?

maybaby

maybaby

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

I hate, hate, hate "Finchel". I realize this is a TV show, but being 18 year old, high school graduates who get married and move to New York City with no scholarships or jobs is NOT a recipe for happily ever after.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

But according to The Kurt Hummel Scale Of Suffering™ these are white girls problems!

Actually that was the Sam Scale of suffering of "rich white girl" problems.

coolliemelly

coolliemelly

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Oh, Glee. How I used to love you back when you were actually funny and kept the majority of your focus on a handful of characters. For the love all things holy, when will these writers accept that not all characters (or actors) are created equal?

The focus on dim witted Brittney, with her monotone dialogue really dragged down this episode. I get it. She was great at the occasional one liner, and Hemo is hot. Britt, however, is an extremely limited character played by an extremely limited actress. Let's chill will with the fan service and let her go back to being that character that adds a bit of added spice as opposed to the main course.

Worse yet, was the amount of focus on Blaine's hair. Really, Glee? I think there may have been more build up to and time spent on Blaine's hair gel dilemma than there was on Karofsky's attempted suicide or Kurt's NYADA plot last episode. And as much as I like Darren Criss, crap like that makes me resent the hell out of Blaine's character- a character, I initially liked a great deal before his bazillion ret cons.

Sadly, a character that was created to enhance Kurt's storyline has only weighed it down. He's too weak of character for the writer's to cut him loose from Kurt, and the writer's are too scared to let the two gay boys have anything but the most mundane storylines.

Lea Michele is great, but once again Rachel gets whatever she wants. She's prom queen with her dream boyfriend, and it's only a matter of time before she gets the big, dramatic solo at Nationals (again, because nobody else apparently is nearly as good in Mr. Shue's eyes) and her NYADA spot will be handed to her as well. I'm so not on the edge of my seat with worry for her.

I used to care. I used to tune in every week because I liked Shue, Finn, Rachel, and Kurt. Now, I hate Shue for never giving Kurt a shot at competition and for that awful Trouble tones deal. Finn and Rachel bore the hell out of me. I still like Kurt, but even his stories have been ridiculous and boring, for the most part. The stories with any potential tend to be abandoned as quickly as they're introduced.

Heyerchick

Heyerchick

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I didn't think anything could ever make me nostalgic for the mediocrity that was Night of Neglect, but Prom-asaurus managed it.

Kurt & Blaine were, as usual, adorable. The hair gel plot was, like much of the episode, heavy-handed meta mockery of the fans, but the afro 'do reveal and Blaine's mortification were quite endearing. As was Kurt's metaphorical embracing of his handsome, bushy-hiared boyfriend. I wish the embrace had been literal but alas the gays in the committed long-term relationship only got to bop chastely to the beat while Finchel, Wemma, Rick the Stick and assorted random 'extras' couples macked all around them. I'm guessing at this point Glee knows it's never going to win another GLAAD award and the three gay writers and one lesbian writer of the nine in the writers room are all party to Glee's new spirit of "Screw that equality, kids!" Ryan Murphy, who threw shade at Modern Family for its lack of gay PDA, claimed that his gay characters "would kiss in every scene." What he actually meant was "would kiss in every season." Scene, season: understandable mistake to make.

Puck was sweet and stepped up to be Becky Jackson's hero without any fanfare or the need for adulation and acclaim that dogs Finn. He was kind of awesome in this episode, and his references to his failure were poignant. I would have more to say about the Becky story except that, where usually I can follow Lauren Potter's delivery just fine, even after watching the episode twice, I'm still struggling to understand some of the character's dialogue. Overall, I continue to like Sue's relationship with Becky and the fact she's probably the only person who actually treats Becky like Becky wishes to be treated. At least until Puck stepped up tonight. Continuity though: no man left behind to no man gives a fuck in the space of one episode.

I was mostly sympathetic to Rachel. She's had a crushing blow to her ego, her plans and her hopes/dreams and she is only in the first stage of grief: denial. Finn running for prom royalty with Quinn quite understantably made her blow a gasket. It was, if nothing else, an easy target to vent some of her grief and disappointment. I'm trying hard to separate out Rachel from the writerly contrivances: like the literally unbelievable stupidity of Rachel Barbra Berry only applying to one college. I love the Big Girls number, and Kurt and Blaine being such supportive friends. It was really sweet. Also healthy, which is in increasingly stark contrast to Rachel's other relationships.

First, Finchel. As these endless manufactured dramas grind on, I become increasingly convinced that Finn is actually the Terri in the relationship, crushing all the larger-than-life spirit, independence and ambition out of Rachel-as-young-Will. It seems to me that the expression of those qualities of Rachel's must be sanctioned and appropriately channeled by Finn. Finn might love Rachel, but he is also blunting her. She's not a bigger or better person for being in love with him; she's smaller in many ways, not learning to make reasonable compromises, but to subsume a lot of what makes her special into the bottomless pit that is Finn's need to be more special, more heroic, the biggest and the best man. It's a desperately unhealthy dynamic, something so blatantly ignored in the narrative, I can't help but wait for the other shoe to drop. I cannot believe the entire relationship isn't an ironic fabrication. It's every destructive teen relationship impulse writ large, impossible to take seriously. But hey, Finn has given Rachel permission to have a little self-esteem and start to claw her way back to something approximating her ambitious, tenacious self, based on the casual cruelty of two actual teenage dream prom queen candidates deciding they can't be arsed and throwing the crown her way out of pity. Something. King Finn's speech to Queen Rachel, delivered without any sense of irony at all, as if she had actually *won* something, was a series low for me. It felt just as wrong for the character of Rachel as the denouement of Michael felt for the character of Kurt.

Rachel and Quinn. The blatant Faberry fanservice made me acutely uncomfortable. Rachel telling Quinn that her proudest achievement in high school would be getting Quinn to be her friend was pathetic. Truly. Apparently, the more you slap Rachel down, the quicker and harder she'll come back to you.

The Unholy Trinity were so deeply unpleasant and unlikeable for most of this episode, I wish someone had punched each of them at varying points in the narrative. The crown goes to Brittany S. Pierce, possessor of untouchable, teflon-coated narrative privilege for sheer stupidity and whimsical cruelty. She can't be held accountable for her actions because she's not real. The metric tonne of meta-mockery Ryan Murphy unloaded through her - up to and including that chunk of the season where Brittany's actor was DOA in various choir room scenes - kind of made me queasy. Even though Quinn was back on the crazy pills in this episode, Brittany has trumped her in awfulness. A chicken factory in Indiana seems about that character's speed. If she never opens her mouth again, it will be too soon for me.

Ultimately, the biggest failing in this episode, as in Ryan's last episode Michael, was the denouement. Glee has spent three years beating us over the head with the fact Rachel Berry is nothing and no one outside of Glee club. Not just in general but specifically in the narrative. Most people outside of Glee club don't know who she is. The reaction when her name was announced as Prom Queen should have been dead silence. Then who the fuck is that? Does she go here? And then the sort of grudging applause Kurt got. But the sincerity of the audience approbation, never mind the close-ups of those random Plain Jane extras weeping tears of joy, pride and gratitude for an 'average girl' like them taking the crown? I'm incredulous. Just - incredulous. Lea acted the crap out of it, but - Rachel. Did. Not. Win. Two of her friends cheated, robbed the other girl who was running, and threw Rachel a pity prize because she lost big on her dreams and she'll never be as hot and awesome as them.

The writerly contrivance here slays me. It was not a reach to have Santana and Quinn throw the vote for Rachel: what did they care in the end? But the audience reaction, and Finn's speech at the end was completely, unstintingly sincere. But Rachel. Did. Not. Win. I watched this open-mouthed because I remember clearly the fuss over Furt and the fuss over Kurt in Furt, a fuss made by his actual family in the context of him having been tortured and stalked and threatened with death and all. Rachel having the whole senior class at her Vera-Wang-clad feet and random girls weeping over her utterly unearned awesomeness was just a whole other level of shit.

I love Kurt. I hated the contrivances Ryan wrote him into in Michael. I love Rachel. I hate the contrivances Ryan wrote her into in Prom-asaurus. At least Night of Neglect was just boring. This one stunned me with its jaw-dropping awfulness.

Edited by Heyerchick, May 9, 2012 @ 11:34 AM.

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

Congratulations, Glee. On your quest for equality I can now feel no guilt in thinking that a character with Down Syndrome needs to just shut the fuck up. Because she is just as big of an asshole as everyone else in your universe. So... that's progress?

Oh, Rachel's Jewish again? It must not be December.

Sistrgoldenhair

Sistrgoldenhair

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

And Kurt... last year he got crowned prom queen as a joke to make him feel like shit, and had for his corination song Dancing Queen (which made the insult even more accute). Rachel get's crowned prom queen to restore her self-esteem and gets to dance to a lovely love song with her (gags) fiance. I sincerely hope that while Rachel is busy getting her ego massaged that Kurt took Blaine to that empty hotel room (that Rachel paid for) and got laid on every flat surface in the room.

And also the chairs.

Can I just say Kurt saved the episode just by rolling back on the bed and showing us his very cute butt? That, and another pair of tight gold pants are enough to get me to watch at least his scenes. It’s a shame they didn’t use his lines from the released version of Big Girls; he and Blaine had some cute shared lines, and it sounded so much better than what they showed on screen.

The disparity between the straight PDAs and the lack of any signs of affection between the non-straight characters is really bothersome at this point. It’s gross. And offensive. And since I see some media outlets writing (or tweeting) about it, the writers must know how we feel. I’m sure we’ll get some one-liner about it, just like we did with Brittany not speaking, and they’ll feel like it is resolved. This freakin’ show. Next season, any episode without Kurt is a guaranteed miss for me.

Last week (two weeks ago?) I mentioned Jesus Joe reminds me of Jar-Jar Binks and I guess Sue agreed with me.

I would’ve enjoyed the Becky moments more (even if I thought there was waaay too much of her in this episode) if I could understand more than one word in five out of her mouth. They should really give that actress less to say and more VOs for the character; even with rewinding, I couldn’t understand most of what she said.

Are Samcedes dating? Or broken up, as per Blaine a few episodes ago? Eh, I don’t really care, but it would be nice if the writers could be consistent about something. ANYTHING. (Besides Finchel being endgame…that consistency I could do without.)

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

An episode that relies on the comic acting skills of the actors portraying Heather, Blaine and Becky is in deep trouble.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

I think one of my favorite moments from the episode was after Sam, Mike, Artie, Rory and Joe finished their performance Sam picked up Artie to include him more "vertically" in the applause.

I was very uncomfortable watching Finn try to tip Quinn out of her wheelchair.

I know we probably aren't suppose to see the two scenes as parallel because I don't think they really care about Sam as a character that much and truthfully it's hard to know if that was just something Chord did in the moment, but it is striking to have the two wheelchair characters in opposing scenes like that.

Sam is very quietly and subtly the character Finn is suppose to be but has never been. Meaning he is genuinely nice and uh, lifts people up without it being forced.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

The complete Rachel worship by the end of the show made FURT look like mild "like" in comparison. Rachel has both Santana and Quinn rig the election to have her win, making her feel like the special popular girl, the friggin student body is applauding her and other girls are weeping with joy, her boyfriend is gushing how she is so amazing.

Plus she will probably get all the leads/solos at Nationals in addition in addition to being the "star" of New Directions now and forever.

So Finn, the football QB is now Prom King and Rachel is Prom Queen. The *underdog* Rachel has triumphed and come full circle.

What happened to the original premise of Glee?

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

The complete Rachel worship by the end of the show made FURT look like mild "like" in comparison.

There were some Furt -like aspects. But unless one of Rachel's dads decides to re-marry, Rachel hijacks the whole wedding, her new step-brother who she used to stalk serenades her, the whole Glee club rallies to defend her from her bullies (except the new step-brother who gets labeled as an uncaring asshole as a consequence) and her dad's new husband gives a speech during their wedding wows to his own son how the son in question has only become a good person because he has learnt to accept Rachel, I don't think anything will ever be able to top Furt in character worship.

But yes, the prom queen thing was awful.

Edited by a finn gleek, May 9, 2012 @ 12:23 PM.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

It was a Rachel worship-a-thon.

Bunny Mittens

Bunny Mittens

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

But again, she is excused from any responsabillity because of her "special" condition, which allows her behaviour to pass as socially acceptable bullying.

I didn't realize how much this bothered me until you said this and how often it's done. Brittany can get away with bullying because she's dumb and doesn't know any better. (Extra points for being in a lesbian relationship.) Kurt can say whatever he wants to anyone because he's RM's little gay snowflake. Becky gets away with it because she has. . .is it Down's, I'm assuming?

The Lesson of the Week to be learned here is that bullying is OK. . .as long as you're not bullying Kurt and if there's something about you that can be bullied, too.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

The complete Rachel worship by the end of the show made FURT look like mild "like" in comparison. Rachel has both Santana and Quinn rig the election to have her win, making her feel like the special popular girl, the friggin student body is applauding her and other girls are weeping with joy, her boyfriend is gushing how she is so amazing.

It was a Rachel worship-a-thon.

The same student body cheered Kurt after his "Eat your heart out, Kate Middleton" comment,so they just cheer at prom regardless. Santana didn't want Prom Queen without Brittany so it was worthless to her. As for Quinn, Rachel had just finished telling Quinn that the biggest accomplishment of her life was putting up with Quinn's abuse long enough for Quinn to like her enough let Rachel be her friend along with Rachel's customary you're the most beautiful, smartest, and strongest girl I've ever known, now also nice and humble, additions to her "you're so awesome Quinn" speeches. As for Finn, Rachel has told him that being her finance had made her the happiest girl ever and that she doesn't need Broadway now that he loves her. The fact that Finn and Quinn felt compelled to throw Rachel a bone because she was utterly miserable after bombing her audition isn't that big of a stretch. Compared with Finn, Carole, and Burt toasting St. Kurt at Carole and Burt's wedding for no reason at all to the point where the couples vows are love letters to St. Kurt, not even lose to "Furt".

Edited by dragonfirelance, May 9, 2012 @ 12:52 PM.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

But again, she is excused from any responsabillity because of her "special" condition, which allows her behaviour to pass as socially acceptable bullying.

Well Sue bullies every one on a regular basis, though last week she was a "champion" versus domestic violence.

I thought Brittany was despicable towards the Prom committee, but she's teflon Brittany, nothing sticks to her.

Sidenote:
And Becky's "I have condoms" was downright creepy , and when she dismissed Kurt and Blaine being gay as if to imply she has been sexually adventurous, to say the least, it was , well, never mind...

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Hey writers! I ship Glee/coherent storylines, when are you going to pander to that?!

[And Becky's "I have condoms" was downright creepy , and when she dismissed Kurt and Blaine being gay as if to imply she has been sexually adventurous, to say the least, it was , well, never mind...

The only protocol I know on handling people with Down Sydrome and sexuality comes from a Law and Order episode. So I don't know whether to feel disgust or admiration on their take of Becky's horniness.

Edited by nicole8705, May 9, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

Aragon san

Aragon san

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

So, I am to believe that there will be no awkward moment where the student body realizes that no one voted for Rachel...the same Rachel that was suspended for stuffing the ballot box for the student body president voting?

Yes, this. So completely unbelievable that within 30 seconds there wasn't a swell of murmurs ranging from "who the hell is this girl?" to "anyone other than her BF voted for the singing psycho?! Please!" and people finding out very fast that Rachel didn't get voted in by anyone.
I'm now choosing to believe the evening actually ended with an angy mob of students going after the "dreamy" prom royalty/teenaged fiances and the two girls who "counted" the votes and were the only ones able to rig the vote... Led by Missy Gunderson and her friends.

Santana lost to Quinn by one vote. So they did vote for Santana, it was Britt as King that they didn't go for.

I know about Santana's numbers. My - not entirely serious - point was that in order to get the hetero male dream of hot girl-on-girl action they surely would have voted for both popular, attractive girls known for making out in public/for the pleasure of jocks in the past. And the straight boys passed up on this opportunity?! After all, you can't have lesbian make-out action at your prom with only one girl, can you? ;)

ETA: Unless Brit's ridiculous number of only 4 votes is a meta-comment (because there seems to be more meta and rehashing of fan-criticism than plot in current episodes) on the student body finally having enough of her bullying and getting away with it? Or her inability and unwillingness to do the job they voted her in? Or her not following up on the promised topless Tuesdays?

Hmm, I could get behind that actually. McKinley passive-aggressively punishing Brit-Brit during her organized prom and then happily dancing on to her theme and show...

Edited by Aragon san, May 9, 2012 @ 1:22 PM.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

Well, I liked Becky. She clearly had the right idea about how the prom night was supposed to go down. Booze and party!! I wanted "Blame It" shenanigans. The rest of the anti-prom people were widely uninspiring (except Puck, who went from depressed to awesome).

Yes, this. So completely unbelievable that within 30 seconds there wasn't a swell of murmurs ranging from "who the hell is this girl?" to "anyone other than her BF voted for the singing psycho?! Please!" and people finding out very fast that Rachel didn't get voted in by anyone.

Apart from the fact that no one in WMHS talks to anyone, I guess they're used to these things. After this episode I'm pretty sure Kurt's prom queendom last year came about in the same fashion. I always doubted the student body would be able to organize such a massive amount of people to vote for Kurt (and no one laughed or mocked him after the announcement), so probably the people who counted the votes were the only ones in on the "joke".

Edited by a finn gleek, May 9, 2012 @ 1:10 PM.