14-14: 2012.05.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

139 replies to this topic

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

The competition heats up as the remaining six couples hit the ballroom with two rounds of competitive dance performances, a ballroom dance and the Trio dance -- both of which will be a style that they've not yet performed, MONDAY, MAY 7 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on ABC. During the Trio dance, a "DWTS" first, each couple will be allowed to add an extra professional dancer to their routine. The second dancer will be chosen from a pool of eliminated pros and members of The Troupe. In addition to their regular criteria for judging dance routines, the judges will pay extra attention to how well each celebrity is showcased in the performance with an extra dancer in the mix.

I think that the time lock on the episode thread got screwed up. TWOP Pembleton doesn't seem to be online, so I hope that it's ok to start a new thread.

Edited by QueenL, May 7, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Well, turns out I loved the 3 ways. Bringing in two pros to teach and choreograph really helped the celebrities. it totally lit a fire under the pros butts. That's some of the most imaginative and well executed choreography that I've seen on dwts.

The pros especially stepped it up a gear. They weren't going to let the other pro out dance them.

I noticed some tension with Chelsie and that male pro. She didn't like the attention Rochon was giving him. But, that's actually good. It pushed her that much harder to teach Rochon and choreograph a great dance. Rochon needed a week with a male pro to learn masculine dance lines. I saw a big improvement in Rochon in that 3 way.

They need to do this every season for certain.

I'm getting a little concerned about Katherine. She's just not connecting with the judges like she did early in the season. I'm hoping it's just the judges wanting to even out the scores for Maria, Rochon, and William. Let them be top of the leaderboard for a few weeks. Katherine is still pulling good numbers. I'm just not sure Katherine can regain the top scores in the semis & finals.

It kills me to admit it, but Rochon turned a major corner this week. I'm seeing so much more confidence in him. He seems fully committed to ballroom & latin dance and I'm not seeing the hip hop moves. He's going to be a major threat in the semis. He's going to own that freestyle.

Edited by aceplace57, May 7, 2012 @ 9:32 PM.

HamTown

HamTown

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

There is no way William deserved a 10 ifor his first dance. The judges raved over Roshon's lines and Williams's arms were all over the place. Not sharp at all. I rarely vote and I just used two phones and the iPad to vote for Roshon.

Siera

Siera

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

The trio dances were so much fun! For all the gimmicks this show insists on trying, this one is definitely a keeper.

I thought Donald was robbed twice. Especially for the trio dance, which was my favourite of the night.

Loved seeing Tristan, I missed him (even though he wasn't really gone) I was a little jealous of Mark being hand-cuffed to him.

Edited by Siera, May 7, 2012 @ 9:27 PM.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Dang, the judges were handing out 10s like candy tonight.

Derek and Maria's Bollywood theme was beyond stupid. Just because something's never been done doesn't make it a good idea. The theme didn't even work cohesively with the music; it was like they functioned as two separate elements instead of blending together.

I'm glad Anna wasn't chosen to be a third pro tonight, because it probably would have been like Mark Dacascos all over again, heh.

"You're making me look like a villain." No, Maks, you're doing a good-enough job of that on your own. Good on Melissa for calling that out. And she didn't look terrified tonight!

Roshon might have received the second-highest scores of the night, but I think he's still vulnerable since he's landed in the bottom two three times already. Sasha said, "I've never lost to anyone before. You're going to be in the next round for sure!" Famous last words, man. I hope I'm proven wrong, though.

Pretty impressive that Katherine managed to dance without slipping on her pants, even though I didn't care that much about the routine itself.

Re: Chris Brown - WHY?

ETA: And Donald's final leap was a-ma-zing.

Edited by tip and fall, May 7, 2012 @ 9:28 PM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

I know that some might find it upsetting that Donald got some 9's for his Jive, but I really agree with a theory that someone posted in another thread. I think that he's running away with the votes, so the judges know that he'll be alright if they don't score him super high.

Anyway, I think they all looked fab during the Jive. Just physically, it was a great presentation.

Surprised that Derek had soooo little Samba in that Bollywood routine. I'd think he'd be smart enough to at least do half and half. Maria did quite well with the Bollywood. Had good hips, and I thought that they probably had the most together choreography of all of the trios, but it just was not a Samba at all.

William's posture was not good during the Paso, but the routine was fun anyway. Loved the double knee slide thingie.

I disagreed about Melissa's Foxtrot being her best dance (up until that point). Her Waltz was much better. She was fine in the parts apart, but in hold, she had that "holding on for dear life" thing going on then, more than ever. Plus, she was way stumbly. I wish they got into specifics instead of just saying "mistakes", because you know how that can be taken by some...

However, I do agree that her Samba was her best dance. I totally agreed with CAI that she danced like she didn't have any worries anymore. Plus, she looked great in that black dress.

I think that she really might stick around, yet again.

It's very possible that the two I find most impressive, Roshon and Katherine, will go home. I hope not.

I take back all of the shit I talked about Chelsie picking a Troupe member. That worked beautifully, and I do think that they were a good match physically, and it seems that they're both very athletic, and that definitely helped in the routine.

That Foxtrot also really worked for them, moreso than any of those other "sticky and sweet, cute" type Foxtrots that we usually see. And the reason why is because they're both so young that it actually looks just RIGHT for them.

Edited by QueenL, May 7, 2012 @ 9:57 PM.

bandita

bandita

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

I was really impressed with Donald. Loved both his dances. I cringed when he jumped over two heads..didn't think he could do it..and saw Karina's head up pretty high..thought it was going to get knocked off. Amazing that he was able to jump up like that.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Donald for the WIN!!!! Man, that Jive should have gotten all 10s!

Sorry Len, though I agree Maria's Samba, didn't have enough Samba, by no means did it have the content of what is a Bollywood dance. The head and arm movements that Derek incorporated derive more from Bharatnatyam, which is classical dance--the head movements, anyway. Bollywood dances? These days? Incorporate a LOT of hip and pelvic movements. I know because I've seen my share of Bollywood movies over the past 30 years.

Sigh, so wonderful to see Tristan again.

And it was so nice, so, so nice to see Maks smile and laugh. Melissa's a goner. Unless there's some upset, I think Melissa will be gone tomorrow. I thought her Foxtrot was better than her Samba.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Really liked the three-somes....mmmmm, I'd love me a Chrmikovsky (sp?) sandwich!

Seriously, though. It was Melissa's best performance. And I enjoyed Rochan... he's really matured.

I really liked William's first performance, but not 30 points worth.

And I was seeing things, or was Mark trying to outdance Tristan? I can't be sure because I only caught glimpses of Mark... my attention was focused elsewhere!

bandita

bandita

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

And I was seeing things, or was Mark trying to outdance Tristan?

Doesn't he always?

tolliveramc

tolliveramc

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

I agree Rochon had a good night, and Donald was robbed (especially in the trio dance), so I threw my votes behind both of them.

Melissa, you can go home this week proud and satisfied that your last dance was with both Chmerkovskiy brothers ...

Carrie Ann's comment about the threeway with Donald, though accurate, was a bit much (and I think she knew it, too, as she seemed embarrassed afterward).

The audience may have booed him, but I was right with Len on his comments on both Maria/Derek routines. I couldn't believe the first one still earned a 28. Seriously??

I actually thought William's first dance deserved the 30 as it was the first time all season I saw him truly dance and not just strike poses while Cheryl danced around him. But that trio dance was back to striking poses for the most part. Glad to see the judges weren't snowed into a second 30.

A tight night in terms of scores. I went into the night thinking Melissa and Rochon would be bounced, but Rochon had such a good night that I hope he doesn't go out this week. Honestly, I'd love to see Maria go in a "shocking elimination."

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

"You're making me look like a villain." No, Maks, you're doing a good-enough job of that on your own. Good on Melissa for calling that out. And she didn't look terrified tonight!

Oh, I forgot about that. Damn, if Maks doesn't walk right into the "Maks sounds/acts like an abuser" shit. "You're making me" "you're making me" "you're making me"... All abusive type language.

LOL at Melissa slipping in the "he's said this before" comment when he was apologizing.

Brooke actually seemed genuinely disgusted by Derek and Maks' behavior. She seemed to be going off script with the way she was editorializing, and repeating back the apologies and almost kind of holding Maks' feet to the fire with the "and he says he won't do it again. Right, Maks?" type talk.

Edited by QueenL, May 7, 2012 @ 9:40 PM.

Badlands66

Badlands66

Just Tuned In

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I know that some might find it upsetting that Donald got some 9's for his Jive, but I really agree with a theory that someone posted in another thread. I think that he's running away with the votes, so the judges know that he'll be alright if they don't score him super high.

Even if he's safe, why not just give him the scores he deserves??

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

And I was seeing things, or was Mark trying to outdance Tristan? I can't be sure because I only caught glimpses of Mark... my attention was focused elsewhere!

Not to me. They were both very toned down.

Forgot to give Katherine credit for dancing on with the pants around her ankle. That definitely would have freaked me out. So easy to fall in that situation.

To make it look like more of a horse race.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Color me surprised that the trio idea produced so many good dances. And I loved that none of the pros even attempted to oudance the celebs or the other pros.

Derek and Maria's Bollywood theme was beyond stupid. Just because something's never been done doesn't make it a good idea. The theme didn't even work cohesively with the music; it was like they functioned as two separate elements instead of blending together.

Surprised that Derek had soooo little Samba in that Bollywood routine. I'd think he'd be smart enough to at least do half and half.

I actually applaud Derek for finally admitting what's been apparent for years now; the DWTS rules are beneath him, and his partners' own technique and ability is less important to the judges than whatever spectacle he puts on each week. It seems Derek is less invested in teaching his partners how to dance well and more interested in using the show to build up his own Emmy reel. The non-jive with Lil' Kim was bad enough, but the Bollywood mess was at a whole other level. And actually, it was a smart move on Derek's part, IMO; he knew that Bruno and Carrie Ann's scores would probably balance out Len's, and the dance would likely be one of the most memorable of the night.

I dislike the edits William gets and the fawning from the judges, but I do like the guy, and it seemed like he was really struggling to take direction this week. :(
Roshon's grandmothers are adorable. It seems a shame that Roshon is destined to leave the competition when he's one of the best dancers and working so hard.

Edited by sintin, May 7, 2012 @ 9:41 PM.

Ripley68

Ripley68

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Ticks me off that Roshon got the 10s before Donald did. I liked the Bollywood number - of all the trio numbers it entertained me the most, with Donalds coming in second. Melissa looked way more relaxed dancing with Val then she does with Maks. I still don't get the William love. He messed up a lot and he isn't all that graceful.

Badlands66

Badlands66

Just Tuned In

But the viewing audience doesn't know that Donald is racking up the viewer votes. All they see is him finishing behind the leaders week after week. Playing games with the votes just turns off viewers.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Sorry about the timelock issue. We've been having some problems. I just pinned this thread and deleted the bad one. Thanks for starting it, QueenL.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

I absolutely did not see what the judges say they saw in Melissa's dancing tonight. To me, she looked as she always does, scared, stiff in the upper body, and badly dressed. (Although I'm not sure how much the costuming is at fault and how much is how she holds herself and how she is proportioned.) But she still looks awkward and unmusical to me.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Wasn't particularly impressed with anyone in the pairs tonight, though no one was bad, and Melissa probably was the best she's been. Maybe William, as well? He and Roshon were overscored, though.

How come that dress, perfectly pretty, made Katherine look surprisingly matronly?

Didn't think the trios were all that good an idea, but I wound up enjoying them more than the pairs. Donald was better in the jive than I expected. I have appreciated Derek's choreography, but I'll go with Len on where was the samba? Do love Tristan.

Don't know if it's just that time of the season, or if things have deteriorated more compared to past seasons, but the audience booing and the judges' antics are ridiculous.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Donald will continue to be underscored until Katherine gets her perfect 30. That's my theory and I'm sticking to. But on a more serious note, he really blew me away tonight. He is really looking more and more like a true dancer every week.

I think Peta is just having a blast working with him, and it shows in how she pushes and pushes him every single week. They make one of the best celeb/pro match ups I've ever seen on the show. I would love to see him in the final, and even to win it all. He's the only celeb this year I've been able to consistently root for.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Roshon definitely stepped it up tonight but with a double elimination I think he is such a goner. The question will be who will join him. I think one of the reasons that Melissa danced a bit more carefree is because she probably thinks she's a goner also. When she got the three 8's, I kinda expected her to say "Maks told me this would happen" or something along those lines, at least that's what I got from her while talking to Brooke.

I love Donald, he seems to be stuck in the "9" zone, loved both of his dances.

Didn't think William deserved a 30 but I do think he has improved and grown as a dancer throughout the season.

Maria can go home anytime now..

ETA: Seeing Maks and Val dance together, they dance exactly alike same flair and everything. Of course they are brothers so I guess it's expected.

Edited by bluvelvet, May 7, 2012 @ 9:45 PM.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

Melissa looked relaxed tonight. Of course having both Maks and Val with you on the dance floor may have had something to do with that. Definitely nice eye candy there. Glad she finally acknowledged Maks has been a jerk in practice, but still didn't seem to be too worried about it. That's a good thing in my books. Really like the black dress she was wearing for the trio dance.

Oh Tristan - so happy to see you back on my tv once again. Such a class act! Kudos to Katherine for not panicking while stuck in clothes that weren't coming off as expected.

Is it my imagination or did the "leader board" not make an appearance tonight? Don't they usually show the board just as the show is signing off?

Why show do you have to have Chris Brown on again? As much as I'm curious who will be in jeopardy tomorrow night I will only watch the last 10 minutes or so. Are there not enough musical acts out there that the show doesn't have to have any repeat acts?

Thadeeeyus

Thadeeeyus

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

That jive was superior to everything else tonight. I so wanted Donald's scores to reflect that. Kudos to Karina, Peta and Donald. That was awesome!

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Just remembered I was laughing about Brooke's blank look when William was talking to her after the trio dance. His accent became rather thick and she looked like she really couldn't understand anything he was saying. I wondered if she was going to try to "interpret" what he said like she did to Tristan, but figured out she really couldn't make out what he was saying so she decided to leave it alone.

As someone who despises the jive - not sure why, I have to say Donald's trio jive was a lot of fun to watch. Actually finally enjoyed a jive!

Riahsha

Riahsha

Channel Surfer

Forgot to give Katherine credit for dancing on with the pants around her ankle.

The judges gave her enough credit for all of us. No mention was made of the mistakes in that dance, just how wonderfully she kicked a piece of cloth off her foot. Scored for that? Please.

I think Roshon earned his top spot and shouldn't have been taken down by one of the pets for a sub-par dance. Donald was robbed, that is all.

The threesomes, for the most part, were pretty good. I did not enjoy Maria or Katherine tonight.

If the judges scored fair, I wouldn't have had to give Melissa and Maks 42 votes tonight.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Sorry about the timelock issue. We've been having some problems. I just pinned this thread and deleted the bad one. Thanks for starting it, QueenL.

No problem, just glad that I didn't do something wrong!

Is it my imagination or did the "leader board" not make an appearance tonight? Don't they usually show the board just as the show is signing off?

I don't think they usually show it at the end of the performance show. They usually just say who's leading and who's on the bottom, and they did.

I forgot to say that Donald and William's kids are, like, the cutest kids ever!!!!

I'm so curious to see how things shake out tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out how to vote. I love Roshon, and I'm wondering if he actually has a chance. Or by voting for him, will I just end up hurting Katherine (who is my second favorite) by not giving all of my votes to her? I just wonder how viable Roshon is. I guess I'll split my votes, but I don't like splitting votes this far into the competition. Oh well.

msburg

msburg

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I was so annoyed on Donald's behalf. He got stuck with going first and cruddy music for his tango -- Stevie Wonder? Then, he is the only male celebrity who has the skill to lead not one, but two women in the trio? None of the other female pros dared to allow this scenario. He got screwed going first, and I refuse to believe that Melissa's "samba" ranks the same as Donald's jive in Len's and Bruno's eyes, scorewise. What does he have to do?

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

~My Dancing with the Stars 14 Week 8 Review~

Preface- Tonight was a bit frustrating. The scoring was a bit off for me on many, many dances. The judges on DWTS are now, like Idol, getting on my last nerve.

Ballroom Round

1. Donald & Peta (Tango) 27/30:
The movements were sharp and staccato, but I felt like the drama and the acting wasnít completely there. I donít know if I felt the emotion needed for a Tango as much here. It was good, but didnít exactly knock my socks off. My only impression of Donald that irks me is that heís never happy. He gets 8ís heís pissed, he get 9ís, heís pissed. He gets his first 10, and still wasnít happy. My score: 25/30

2. Maria & Derek (Viennese Waltz) 28/30:
Really enjoyed this. One of my 2 favorite Viennese Waltzes of the season. Props on the song choice, it really set the mood for a romantic Viennese Waltz. She has great posture, but I agree with Len in saying that with Mariaís strength in hold, he shouldíve had her in hold more, but I still really enjoyed it. My score: 28/30

3. Melissa & Maks (Foxtrot) 24/30:
As good as she was this week, I think itís a little too late. Sheís improved so much, but is still not up to the level of the other ones left. A few stumbles throughout the dance, but it was still a pleasant dance to watch. My score: 23/30

4. Katherine & Mark (Viennese Waltz) 26/30:
First of all, this was such a gorgeous dance. Katherine just has the most incredible technique of anyone still here. The dance has content and romance. The spin at the end was nice albeit a tiny stumble getting up from the spin. How did Carrie Ann think that that was worth an 8? I could see it getting a 28 or 29, but not a 26. That was criminal. My score: 29/30

5. Roshon & Chelsie (Foxtrot) 29/30:
It was cute and probably one of Roshonís best dances, but I didnít see the ď10Ē in this. I wouldíve gone more like a 27. I donít think they were 100% together on the side by side steps. It was still very good, but I personally didnít think it was a 10. My score: 27/30

6. William & Cheryl (Foxtrot) 30/30:
That was a 30?!? Wow, sorry but donít get that at all. It was danced very well, but thatís all I could say. If great dancing gets a 30 from the judges than Katherine shouldíve had 30ís weeks ago. I didnít think it had that special spark that a 30 brings. Think Mariaís Paso. It was danced well, but also had amazing choreography, amazing song, amazing acting. I didnít think this was worthy of a 30 at all. My score: 26/30

Latin Round

1. Donald & Peta (Jive) 28/30: Personally, I think it was his best dance and that says a lot considering that I donít really care for Donald at all. He was sharp and had good content, but with 3 people, itís really hard to be 100% in sync at all times, so thatís what I think about that. My score: 28/30

2. Maria & Derek (Samba) 25/30: Canít believe I agree with Len. There was maybe 20% of Samba in that routine. I think this is a rare place where Derek missed the mark. If you wanna add a little bit of Bollywood, thatís great, but I think it was too much personally for a Samba. My score: 24/30

3. Melissa & Maks (Samba) 27/30:
It was very good, but I think she got pity 9ís for that. It was many her best, but I wasnít 100% convinced the entire dance. It got a lot of press for the Chmerkovskiy and I get it, but her dancing wasnít all 9ís I donít think. My score: 24/30

4. Katherine & Mark (Cha Cha) 27/30: I donít even think the wardrobe malfunction is worth points deducting because she kept going and didnít miss a beat. I loved the concept of the dance and her technique as always was flawless. I think of all the trios this one probably captured the best of it. They all danced in sync, Katherine danced with Mark and Tristan and they back together. I wouldíve gone the 30 route, but Iím not surprised she didnít get it. My score: 30/30

5. Roshon & Chelsie (Paso Doble) 27/30:
He got screwed with the song. Turn Me On is a great song but so not a Paso. The song just kept fading me in and out of the dance. Plus, I donít think they utilized Sasha enough. It feels like he disappeared for most of the dance. My score: 26/30

6. William & Cheryl (Paso Doble) 27/30:
Clearly heís the producerís favorite. Heís danced last 3 times already and got the Spanish themed Paso while someone else got a ďtechnoĒ Paso. It was good, but Iíve seen this type of Paso done so many times before that itís hard to think it was that innovative. My score: 26/30

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Seeing Maks and Val dance together, they dance exactly alike same flair and everything. Of course they are brothers so I guess it's expected.

For better, or in some cases worse, Val has always copied himself after his elder brother. But it is clear Val follows in Maks footsteps whenever they're working together, he is the baby brother, and really is not as good a dancer as Maks is, not yet anyway.

Whatever the pro's name who danced with Maria and Derek, they said it about a million times, he had a nice six, or was that an eight pack, on him. I loved how he looked so trim and cut next to Derek who, while fit, is not nearly as good looking.

And don't even get me started on Tristan up against Mark. In the rehearsals alone I think I saw ten times the chemistry between he and Katherine than she and Mark have ever had, at any time. I think she would have been so much better off with Tristan as her partner, oh well.