5-23: "The Fugitives" 2012.05.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

73 replies to this topic

Vega01

Vega01

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:28 AM

Lol, yeah. Although at least they have continuity with Nate's character; he gets ANGRY when women lie to him and feels so 'disappointed'. lol

Nate is a whiny baby when it comes to women.

My favorite part of the episode was Serena imitating Blair. Penn and Black have good chemistry, I had forgotten that.

The Bart Bass storyline was so stupid but I at least hope it will bring the Lily and Ruffus marriage to a breaking point next week. And I hope Bart gets on charge of his business again so that Chuck can dress like an older version of his season one self and bring on the nostalgia of better times.

Blair likes Dan, Dan loves Blair. Got it.

sat123

sat123

Just Tuned In

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Blair's journal entry said:

[black bars] I can't shake the feeling that Dan is about to tell me he loves me, and if he does [black bars]

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Wow, it seemed like a lot of things happened. Fun episode though.

But, my favorite part had to have been the Lola/Ivy tag team, especially once Andrew Tyler entered the scene. "Strip down to your underwear and get on the bed!" "We heard you liked it rough. What's your safe word?" I had to have rewound that scene about 5 times, it made me laugh so much. I kind of want Lola and Ivy to hang out all the time being ridiculous.

Damn, Bart seemed annoyed with Chuck as he was practically vibrating with insecurity, asking if Bart was staying. I wonder if that was at least the 20th time he had asked that.

I thought Dan's ridiculous hair was because of some movie role PB was doing? Why is it still so awful?

miashay

miashay

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

I thought Dan's ridiculous hair was because of some movie role PB was doing? Why is it still so awful?

It's very "Felicity in reverse". But unlike Felicity I find Dan's hair, much like I found Jenny's sudden affinity for eyeliner and bad hair extensions, very distracting. It's like a constant reminder of Penn- his style, his career- when I'm supposed to be watching Dan. And, shallow as it may be, it's also been tacked on to my every growing list of why Dan and Blair are a horrible couple; cause no way, no how would Blair Waldorf date someone that disheveled.

JSplash23

JSplash23

Just Tuned In

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

This:

I think his lack of enthusiasm on seeing Chuck, Bart kicking Chuck out and planning to leave again, his lack of enthusiasm on getting his life back when it finally happened, all coupled with him saying to Chuck that because of his personal problems before the accident that it was easier to stay hidden, all combined pretty much prove that after the accident Bart really didn't try to take down his competitor. He was lying to himself because he didn't want his life back. Chuck basically called him on his bullshit right away. Chuck knew it could be done. He was almost like the adult in the situation, forcing Bart to deal with his real life.

I also don't think Bart gives a shit about Chuck in any way. Maybe it's because he's really Jack's son (if so Jack is even creepier that I already thought he was- gross he banged Blair and has sex in the same room as Chuck on repeat occasions), or maybe it's because Bart is a cold bitter asshole & terrible father. Most likely it's a combination of the two.

Dan has every reason to be worried about Blair and Chuck, considering she spends all her free time with him; although I don't believe Blair will cheat on him. However he chose to date Blair knowing full well how she feels about Chuck. He was at her wedding where it was shown on video her saying that she was in love with Chuck, in fact he was the one that leaked the video! I realize she said once that she wasn't in love with Chuck anymore, but Dan can not seriously argue that she didn't have feelings for Chuck that he didn't know about. Not saying she should do Dan dirty, but why is he even dating her?

Serena was hilarious when she compared Dair to Brangelina, but I hope she isn't seriously angry. Blair asked her permission and was granted it by Serena. Even if that's not enough, Serena slept with Nate while he was dating Blair- taking Nate's virginity. She then later dated him. At that point Nate was not only Blair's ex but also her ex Dan's good friend. So her attitude about Blair & Dan is laughable, although not out of character in the least.

revelation

revelation

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

I agree with what has been said upthread. It seemed absurd that big bad Bart Bass with his billionaire's resources has a problem so unsolveable that he had to fake his own death and go into hiding for his own safety and yet Chuck can fix the problem in one day with his usual gang and couple of fake prostitutes! Really, show? Really?? And why is Bart Bass in a suit? Why so formal, Mr InHiding? Is Bart still Chuck's Dad or is that still possibly Jack? What about his Mum? Is that still Elizabeth? Does anyone care at all? It's only been the driving storyline for Chuck in the last couple of episodes.

Upon closer examination, Blair and Chuck's scheme to get Nevens did not actually work. Nevens does not show up but Andrew Tyler the PI guy did. Chuck and Blair spotted him in an elevator and were then asking each other where Ivy and Lola had gone with Andrew Tyler. This guy got Lola to show him where Bart was last seen. But what was he expecting to do when he found Bart? Bart walks in the room and says 'Surpised to see me?'. The answer would have been 'No', because Lola had just directed him to that building and Andrew was actively looking for Bart. So why was Andrew looking for Bart? To kill him himself? Why else look for him? It is stupid that he felt compelled to suddenly confess to working for Nevens. What is this, a Scooby Doo episode? And how does this actually implicate Nevens, it remains unproven. Tyler has not agreed to testify against Nevens and he would probably refuse to do so. Tyler has just said that he worked for Nevens because he feared for his own family's safety when threatened by Nevens. So now he is just going to testify against Nevens, the big bad boss who scared Bart into hiding? Sounds incredibly stupid plotting. Writers, what were you drinking? The Nevens threat is still very much a present threat to Bart. It hasn't gone away at all despite the show pretending that it has been wrapped up by that comical confession.

Lola and Ivy looked yummy! Ivy still very stupid for ripping up a million dollar cheque, and now having to pretend to be a prostitute to try and win some friends.

Someone is going to tell Lily about Bart eventually, right? Right? Are they going to tell Carol and Carter Baizen and maybe Vanessa first?

BombaySapphire

BombaySapphire

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

This whole season of Gossip Girl has been an entire waste, from Blair pretending that she actually loved the Prince dude to this lame ass Dair crap. Are we supposed to believe someone of Blair's caliber would lower herself to be with a poseur like Dan. At least they are starting to get it right and bring Blair back to Chuck where she should be.

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

So let me get this straight, BAMF Bart Bass also went into hiding because his relationship with Lily and Chuck was shitty? GTFOH. Come on, show. Give me a break. Honestly, this would've been the episode I finally quit GG if it weren't for the rumors of next season being the last.

I'm not sure why Dan's hair bothers me so since most things I've seen him (PB) in prior to GG, he's had his hair long and shaggy but now? Ew..

So this is why they made Ivy (blanking on the actress' name) a series regular? Also, does it feel like the entire first half of the season was completely erased from the characters minds? (Aside from Blair name dropping Louis' name every so often). And I've officially given this show more thought than the writers did.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

The Nevens threat is still very much a present threat to Bart. It hasn't gone away at all despite the show pretending that it has been wrapped up by that comical confession.

I was actually thinking that maybe they would actually have that guy kill someone, like Chuck or Bart for real.

teeveegeek

teeveegeek

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:19 AM

I thought Blair's handwriting was gorgeous. I'm disheartened by what she's written, and while I'm hoping that it is misleading in a major fashion, I feel the abject misery already setting in because Blair/Dan is over.

Chuck, Bart, Diana, "twins", etc., blah. The only thing I paid attention to in that SL was Nate's lip, which rivals Dan's hair in the distraction department. I enjoyed both distractions though!

GoodyGoody

GoodyGoody

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

I am an Old and I've been loving the Scoobying and Soap Opera-ing this show's been doing! It's become must-see TV for me!

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

What is with Dan's hair? I found it incrediby distracting especially because I cannot believe that Blair would not have made a snarky comment about it.

The Bart Bass storyline was ridiculous, although I guess it is not OOC for Bart to be both so melodramatic and so unaffected by the impact it would have on Chuck. I am happy to move on.

I enjoyed the Blair and Serena scenes this episode because it suggested that Serena's issue with Dan/Blair were less about Dan, but more about the role reversal for the two girls and Serena no longer being the "IT" girl.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

This episode was kind of like 5x19 for me. Once I saw Dan's hair in the beginning (just like Chuck's red onesie at the beginning of 5x19), I was laughing too hard to really focus on much else during the episode.

I have a feeling I didn't miss much though. Blair has become unlikeable again, and I'm finding that once again her POV has disappeared to keep viewers guessing who she'll choose in the finale. She's gone back to not acting as Chuck's friend or lover, but as his mother...and that's one Blair I cannot stand. Their dynamic is reminding me of pre-IP CB and it's making me uneasy. After all it was Blair's obsession with sacrificing herself and her other relationships and dropping everything to fix Chuck and his problems that got her traded for a hotel to begin with. And I'm beginning to see that Blair again and it is really pissing me off. I really thought in 5x21 when she acknowledged that she'd lost herself that she had turned a corner, but apparently not. I'm loving seeing her more snarky and quick-witted again, but I personally think all of that is redundant when she's falling into the same patterns that resulted in her "losing herself" to begin with. I also agree 100% with the posters upthread who have noticed that Blair seems to be using Chuck and his problems to hide from having to work on her own life.

The whole Bart Bass plotline had a lot of potential, but instead I found it utterly ridiculous and underwhelming. I can see that Bart probably didn't want to be "found" because that would require him to come back and deal with his own life, however the idea that the Scooby crew could just march in there and solve everything in a day is so, so laughable. The only part of that plotline I enjoyed was Ivy and Lola planning how they were going to get their seductive on. That had me laughing.

The only plotline I found enjoyable was the Blair/Dan/Serena interview one, and that's probably because I find the BDS triangle 100x more enjoyable and "real" than the DBC one. Serena's rundown of the DB relationship was very funny, and the whole thing reminded me of how much I love Dan and Serena together when they're not DanandSerena. I could never see them getting back together romantically though because I think Serena would get bored very quickly, and it's been shown lately that Dan really needs someone who has the same intellectual interests as him. I still enjoy watching them together, but I think they've certainly outgrown one another romantically.

As a whole though I found that the episode just dragged. I didn't even like Nate in this one (I've found him painful ever since he hooked up with Lola). And I know it's a bad episode when not even Nate can save it for me.

grannygeek

grannygeek

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Got to say it again, after watching last night's episode:

The hair. The horror.

I actually visibly started when he came onscreen.