5-23: "The Fugitives" 2012.05.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

73 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

From TVGuide.com:

Episode Synopsis: A busy Blair asks Serena to impersonate her at a meeting. Elsewhere, Ivy and Lola join forces to help Chuck exact revenge; and Nate makes a choice regarding his future. Original Air Date: May 7, 2012

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

"Haaaallooooh, my name is Chuck Bass, you tried to keeel my father, prepare to die..."

Check, the PI Chuck has used all these years, he has six fingers...

Ivy and Lola trying to method act their way through being hookers was so awkward I had to change the channel....clearly non-members of the NJBC.

I want a still of Lilly and Rufus' respective reaction shots when they find out about Bart.

Edited by name234, May 7, 2012 @ 8:01 PM.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Oh well, all good things must come to an end. Based on the end and scenes from next week, my assumptions was not too far off.

Good to know that Charlie and Ivy are now friends.

Not too sure about Lily and Rufus's relationship with Bart being alive.

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

Dumb.

ridethemaverick

ridethemaverick

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Could this show get any stupider?

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

This episode was... wow. So so bad. Nothing made sense especially the way Chuck was magically able to save Bart Bass. Even Nate got on my nerves. NATE!

The only redeeming thing(s) about this episode was (a) the S and B scene at the beginning and the end making peace - which lasted about 5 mins and (b) the possibility that Bart Bass will basically end Lily and Rufus.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Ok, maybe I watch way too spy/crime shows, but that plotline was absolutely horrible. Bart could hire several ex-mercenary types a la Blackwater and arm them to the teeth. He could have funded a rival criminal gang to take Russian mob boss out. He could have hired a straight up hitman or found his own mole in the mob bosses organization. So many options before fake my own death. Look, it would have been better if Bart just wanted to bail on his old life suspecting the Lily and Rufus affair and his enstrangement with Chuck and just wanted to get drunk and sleep with prostitutes all the time and not run a multi billion dollar company.

Also Serena was cool while imitating Blair, and that Lola/Ivy scene was cute and funny.

I just couldn't buy the main plot enough to buy this episode, espicially because it makes all Chuck's issues from S2-S4 incredibly pointless. Hopefully the finale is just trainwreck balls to the wall crazy Gossip Girl, Chair's back and Serena's gone into trainwreck mode so it's a good start.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I couldn't agree with you more Philharmanic. Well, it was a fun ride while it lasted. There's no need to even watch the finale since there's no interesting cliff hanger. As Josh already mentioned, it will be clear who Blair chooses since Blair's diary reveal it by GG. S6 will be about S and B relationship and making up.

Sailing

Sailing

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

Blair's handwriting is atrocious. WTF did her diary say? And how did Serena/GG (??) get it anyway?

Dan looked like a wookie getting out of the shower. Yuk. GET A HAIRCUT, you dirty hobo.

LOL @ Charlie and Lola trying to pass as twins, and their matching hooker outfits. I did think they were toast when Andrew showed up, so props to the show for that misdirection. I do think the Bart storyline got wrapped up a little too neatly and quickly. But, I'm sure we'll get to meet this mysterious Mason Nevins sooner rather than later. I also expected more out of the how-I-faked-my-death story, but eh.

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

I agree with your entire post, dragonfirelance

Also, If Diana knew that that guy had a thing for twins, couldn't Bart use that information the same way Chuck did this episode years ago? Why am I trying to make sense of this storyline?

EBStarr

EBStarr

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

OK, I loved this episode! The shot of Serena on the stairs at the end -- so picturesque, and this show really knows how to use music lately (I guess that's a good thing, since they do have rather a hard time building narrative tension elsewise, often).

Dorota shoving in front of Serena and going "Hello, that's meeeeee! I am well, thank you!" (or whatever she said) when Eleanor said hello to Serena - priceless. I nearly fell off the elliptical machine (yeah, I basically only go to the gym to watch Gossip Girl).

Blair and Serena making up and admitting they loved each other addressed some of the problems with Gossip Girl lately ignoring their friendship. I felt like Serena was careening wildly between passionate support of her best friend's new relationship and total catty scheming to tear them apart (or perhaps subconscious scheming). It wasn't unbelievable that she would be inconsistent, but made me confused anyway. But! "We're like Brad and Angelina -- well, you know, once they got rid of Jennifer." Hee.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

Maybe in the finale, this Gabe Saporta will be the son of Mason Nevins just similiar to the other storyline.

night returns

night returns

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

That actually didn't suck.

Dan's hair in the first scene-- dude, you might as well start using activator.

I called Bart's antagonist wrong. I was sure it was going to be William Vanderbilt.

Do they call that thing Chace Crawford does on this show "acting"?

Poor S. Nobody would tell her anything in this episode.

And poor, pathetic, sad Ivy. A million dollars is better than belonging to a group that doesn't want you.

But, goddamn did she and Charlola look smoking in that scene.

It was pretty assy of Nate to let Chuck blame the double-cross of Diana completely on Charlola, as if he wasn't behind it.

For once Andrew functioned as more than a plot device. And now he's gone.

S wearing the head band while masquerading as B was an unnecessary but amusing touch.

What a juxtaposition of Blair saying that the next man to whom she says "I love you," she wants to be the last-- and we cut to Chuck.

Even before the finale preview, this episode sealed it: C/B and D/S are just wired for each other. At first I thought they were showing that S was moving on for the time being, but then it became plain that she's so far gone (and, ok, loves Blair that much too) that she was now even willing assume the role of the "friend." Dan, take Serena to Rome. The woman has the patience/tolerance/capacity for forgiveness of all the saints ever put together. Somehow she is still willing to give you additional chances. At last take advantage of it, finally, for god's sake. They say don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Well, this one is bringing you a gift from Tiffany's, and it's like the nicest thing they have there, when you yourself wouldn't even be let in the store. (But, if they have contact with the Italian interviewer, is Serena going to have to go by "Blair" all summer?)

Edited by night returns, May 7, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

Jessica02

Jessica02

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Look, it would have been better if Bart just wanted to bail on his old life suspecting the Lily and Rufus affair and his enstrangement with Chuck and just wanted to get drunk and sleep with prostitutes all the time and not run a multi billion dollar company.

Yes, exactly. Seriously, I have no words for this episode. I was multi-tasking, and as a result, I am probably more confused than ever watching this show. So Bart was so spooked that he had to fake his death, but Chuck, Blair, Nate, Serena, Ivy, and Lola were able to bring down the bad guy? At least, that is what I think just happened, but give me a fucking break.

Blair's handwriting is atrocious. WTF did her diary say? And how did Serena/GG (??) get it anyway?

LOL! I even hit rewind and pulled out my glasses, and I still couldn't tell what her diary said. I just assumed we weren't supposed to be able tell(or my eyesight is getting worse), but yes, this is another stupid story. The entire Dair/Chair/Serena story is actually getting on my nerves all around. It shouldn't because parts of this story (Serena going back and forth on whether she's going to be supportive, Dan's insecurity, etc) are so realistic, but college couples moving to Italy for the entire summer and friends stealing diaries...please! Blair is rich. She doesn't need to actually move to Italy. She can easily visit frequently. This is a silly story, as is the whole diary thing.

One thing the last few weeks have reminded me of is how much better this show is at male-female friendships as opposed to relationships. I haven't disliked Dair, but I liked them better in season 4. I actually enjoyed the DS scene and the Chuck and Blair interactions this episode and last. I know though, as soon as the writers try to put them back together, it will be right back to the usual suckage.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

LOL! I even hit rewind and pulled out my glasses, and I still couldn't tell what her diary said. I just assumed we weren't supposed to be able tell(or my eyesight is getting worse), but yes, this is another stupid story.

I'm not sure it even matters if we can read it because I'm pretty sure there were spoiler bars on the important bits.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

So Bart was so spooked that he had to fake his death, but Chuck, Blair, Nate, Serena, Ivy, and Lola were able to bring down the bad guy? At least, that is what I think just happened, but give me a fucking break.

Wow it sounds even more stupid when you say it out loud. Atrocious just atrocious. Wow I think this show is now in the Glee, Smash, Terra Nova, and 90210 level of writing.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

It says,

I can't shake the feelings that Dan is about to tell me he loves me, and if he does...

There were words crossed out before and after the quotes.

miashay

miashay

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

I loved Blair in this episode. For over a season now, Iíve been dreading the impending Dan/Blair relationship, but I absolutely love the way itís playing out. I think Blair is confident in Danís feelings, but really using him as a support system, with no deep romantic feelings of her own. Thatís not to say she couldnít develop them, but with Dan already two steps ahead of her, heís already pushing her too much. That feels organic to me; that Dan has had a few seasons now to realize heís in love with Blair, and he wants her to catch up immediately.

I love that she initially seemed so hesitant to agree to Rome because she wanted to spend the summer doing what she wanted to do. Though I doubt itíll happen, Iíd love for the writers to give her a romantic break, so she can truly get in touch with herself again. That Dan got her started down this path- more tolerable than sheís been in ages on this show- almost makes me happy they got together. Almost. A very little bit.

Look, it would have been better if Bart just wanted to bail on his old life suspecting the Lily and Rufus affair and his enstrangement with Chuck and just wanted to get drunk and sleep with prostitutes all the time and not run a multi billion dollar company.

Didn't he say as much in his last conversation with Chuck? It is so like a Bass to prefer faking his own death to working out his issues with his wife and son. I really think that was the case here; that the Bassí are prone to melodrama and Bart was making a mess of his relationships with Lily and Chuck, and decided to go underground, rather than take care of the situation on his own. I absolutely cannot wait for Rufus and Lily to find out, and see how the show decides to explain Lilyís marital situation (and if it will be anything close to how it would be dealt with, legally, in reality).

In the end, I think I like my Gossip Girl with more soap and scandal. Itís a little silly, but itís also awesome and hilarious to me.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Bart was legally dead so they wouldn't be a problem with the actual marriage itself.

night returns

night returns

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

I also was entertained by S's commentary (while playing B) on the D/B relationship. Whether or not you agree with her, it was a spot-on take of what S's perspective would be about the logic of that relationship.

All in all, this was a generally light and airy episode after last week's combination of heaviness and salaciousness, but it still managed to clear up the Bart-returns storyline and set the stage for next week. It was a decent hour of television.

Kaspangle

Kaspangle

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

I really want to talk about how much more I'm enjoying GG lately (Eleanor! Awesome Blair! Serena's headband!), but all I can think about is what Dan looked like when he came out of the shower. We are truly supposed to believe that Blair Cornelia Waldorf would go for a guy with that hair?

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Just what did Serena do?

We never heard the answer, if there was one, to the question what did they bury. I'm also sure we haven't heard the whole story of why Bart disappeared.

T o b y

T o b y

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Where are all the Dair fans? It's like everyone's too depressed to post, which was almost the same for me, except I just had to vent somewhere: why!?!?!?

All that build-up, which felt pretty epic, only for it to fizzle so quickly because, Oh yeah, Blair still really loves Chuck. Ugh, this show. Wanting the previews to be wrong, but feeling that they aren't...

EBStarr

EBStarr

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

We are truly supposed to believe that Blair Cornelia Waldorf would go for a guy with that hair?

The only thing I can't believe is that she doesn't spend more time snarking on The Hair. So many good opportunities wasted.

On the topic of things that would be out of character for Blair Cornelia Waldorf: I am pretty sure I heard her say "I wish you would've..." to Chuck. This girl almost went to YALE. I can't believe she doesn't know how to use the subjunctive. Ridiculously out of character (I suppose the bargain-basement writers of this season didn't even know that was bad grammar).

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Serena playing Blair was hilarious, they should let Blake do more comedy. The look she gave Dan when he told her she wasn't helping was, No you think, while she was all no I'm totally helping. Also I loved that Serena inadverently complented the Dair relationship by comparing it to Brangelina. Say what you want about how it started it works very well and their happy and well adjusted.

night returns

night returns

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

T o b y, this is pure speculation, but I think the writers themselves may have fallen out of love with D/B (sorry, I refuse to do the couple combo name thing). Initially, they were sweet. Dan's devotion to her through her relationship with Louis was heart-warming, and the scenes at the party with Georgina egging him on, where he finally kissed her, crackled. But, once they got into a relationship, it was like there was no there there. All they had in common was pretentious artiness.

In any case, I find it odd that the blogs are still previewing the finale as a case of who-will-she-choose. Unless the finale previews were dream sequences, it looks like the choice is no longer relevant. Even if Blair was to pick Dan, she's not going to be able to forgive what evidently takes place with Serena, when she finds out about it, after what happened years earlier with Nate. And if Blair still has feelings for Chuck, Dan won't be able to get past that either.

The rumor is that GG is only getting 13 episodes in its last season, so maybe it would be better, anyway, to have the couples secure and drama-free by next year and primarily devote the remainder of the show to finally taking down Gossip Girl.

Edited by night returns, May 7, 2012 @ 11:09 PM.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

So Bart was so spooked that he had to fake his death, but Chuck, Blair, Nate, Serena, Ivy, and Lola were able to bring down the bad guy? At least, that is what I think just happened, but give me a fucking break.

I know at the end all I could think was "Three years for that?" Really Show? BAMF Bart Bass couldn't take care of this for three fucking years, but the Charlie, Charlie and Chuck solve it it 3 hours? Whateves..

Yes T o b y tonight was depressing. I was cool with the development of Dair when it looked like Blair was hesitating to go to Roam when it was for herself, but the "Who's really in B's heart?" crap makes me wanna just avoid the finale. I thought Blair was supposed to be finding herself. Again, Really Show?

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

We are truly supposed to believe that Blair Cornelia Waldorf would go for a guy with that hair?

Yeah, only because we're also supposed to believe that she would go for a guy who looks like...Chuck.

For the eight millionth time, I wish this show would stop with the prostitution storylines.

Also, I can't believe they brought Bart Bass back for this. Seriously?

ElleBee

ElleBee

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

I was surprised how forgiving Chuck was of Bart. Faking your own death and not letting your own child in on the secret is a bit over the top, especially since keeping secrets is something Chuck is pretty good at. And then once Bart told Chuck, about five people within Chuck's circle knew before the day was over. So it's a life and death secret he's kept for years that's so risky that it necessitates living a life in hiding, but random people like Ivy and Lola not only get to know but are assigned major roles in bringing it all down. Sure. Right. Whatever.

Initially, they were sweet. Dan's devotion to her through her relationship with Louis was heart-warming, and the scenes at the party with Georgina egging him on, where he finally kissed her, crackled. But, once they got into a relationship, it was like there was no there there. All they had in common was pretentious artiness.

I agree night returns. IMO, they've never had as much chemistry as a couple as they did before they got together. I don't know if it's the writers or the actors but it's disappointing, especially since there was so much promise for so long.

I also feel like it's no coincidence that, according to the previews, D & S get together. Since it's obvious that Dan is completely in love with Blair, the only way they can justify Blair running back to Chuck without her coming off as totally callous is if a.) Chuck has been "redeemed" (which they seem to be working hard on) and b.) Dan is the fail in their relationship so it can seem like Blair is choosing Chuck because he's The Better Man. It's almost as if they're thinking that if suddenly both Dan & Chuck have a-hole elements then it doesn't seem like such a travesty that Blair would choose Chuck. JMO--hoping to be wrong.

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

That was stupid. I think I'm finally ready to break up with Gossip Girl. I'd rather do it now, when Dan and Blair are still together, than when the show inevitably pairs Chuck with Blair at the end. Gag me.

Why has Serena gone an entire season without a love interest? And don't tell me it's because she's hung up on Dan, she's gotten it on with plenty of fellas when she was supposedly in love with Brooklyn boy.

Also, I loved how "NO ONE!" was supposed to know about Bart, but by the end, everyone knew he was still alive.

Edited by larapu2000, May 8, 2012 @ 12:39 AM.