Breaking Pointe: Ballet West Gets the Reality Treatment

• Please log in to reply

1030 replies to this topic

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 9:12 AM

I'm going to be listening for the word "ravioli" the entire time LOL

I am picturing Beckanne mentioning that she had ravioli for dinner the night before and seeing a bunch of dancers do a 180 and march over to the other end of the room to warm up away from her mike pack.

In all seriousness, I appreciate that they came up with a code word so warn other people they were being recorded. Just because the company signed off on this doesn't mean that all the dancers want their personal business aired on television so I'm glad that they were being considerate of their friends and co-workers who didn't want to be part of that.

I am really looking forward to watching this season knowing that they focused less on the drama. Then again, unless the dancers have seen the edited episodes, it's possible that there's still lots of lame relationship drama. I really hope not though! I'd be more than happy just watching rehearsals, talking about casting for shows, etc. That's all the drama I need from this show. No more of the Allison and Rex yo-yo show, please!

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 9:42 AM

Looking forward to the new season! The only drama I want to see is ballet drama, such as costumes not fitting or difficulty mastering choreography.

The thing that's so disturbing about reality TV is that even if you don't want to be depicted in a foolish, or nasty, or otherwise harsh light, the producers are bound and determined to manipulate your behavior into that direction for ratings. The article linked a few posts back really underscores this.

Joonbug9109

Joonbug9109

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 11:46 AM

Season 2 preview has arrived! 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=WonFgjt16ac

Based on the preview I'm guessing that they will hone in on the dance drama (injuries, competitive aspects, etc). I'm guessing the relationship drama won't disappear completely, but there will be less of it (hopefully). I'm guessing that since it seems like the particular version of Cinderella they are performing is very prestigious, getting a lead role will be even more important than it usually is (which will probably mean more competitive drama)?

I definitely disliked the Allison/Rex drama of last season. It honestly felt a little fabricated. I feel bad though that she got so much criticism from the public about it, especially if it was primarily "heightened" by the producers.

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

I'm personally less concerned with how the relationship drama is edited (which I think is an inevitability) than I am with the dancers starting to assume their "roles" as "characters" on the show.  

That's always the risk in the second season of a docu-type reality show.  But, for some reason, the people they focused on last season strike me as particularly inclined to do so.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 2:28 PM

I didn't realize this was coming back tonight. I hope it's available on deman or reruns at some point this week, because I won't be home in time to set my DVR.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 4:31 PM

Caught a mini marathon on BBC yesterday, and enjoyed it. Yes, there seems to be trumped up drama. Allison came off as heinous to me, like really insane, regarding the relationship with Rex (who I was confusing with Ronald, who is not the same as Ronnie--confusing!) I will be watching tonight.

mountainair

mountainair

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 8:12 PM

Was looking forward to this being back on, planned my whole night around being able to watch. So far, the first 10 minutes have been breaking weather updates for a location 60 miles from my house! No DVR and it doesn't look like this is on demand either, boo!

Ok, so after 50 minutes of breaking news updates I finally got to see a bit but what I saw was disappointing. New guy, Zachary. He can go anytime!

Edited by mountainair, Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:14 PM.

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

Well that was a bit disappointing.... WAY too much personal drama for me, I thought they were going to tone it down this season?  I counted close to 30 minutes without being in the studio or anyone rehearsing or dancing.  I know they have to set up the new dancers, new 'characters' but they spent too much time on that.  Zach is annoying already.

I'm in for the whole season, but I'm not excited for next week as I was for tonight. 

Joonbug9109

Joonbug9109

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:16 PM

Well that was a bit disappointing.... WAY too much personal drama for me, I thought they were going to tone it down this season?  I counted close to 30 minutes without being in the studio or anyone rehearsing or dancing.  I know they have to set up the new dancers, new 'characters' but they spent too much time on that.  Zach is annoying already.

I'm in for the whole season, but I'm not excited for next week as I was for tonight.

Summed up my feelings perfectly. I would have liked to see more of Ian and Joshua, less of Zach (he's got a big personality, but as soon as he described himself as a gossip I knew I was not going to be pleased with his "character"). I'm also glad we're seeing more of Chris. I feel like there is potential for good dance related drama though (Ballet West II contracts, who gets what role in Cinderella, Ronnie's injury, etc), my guess is that they are just going to space it out more. I feel like last season all the studio drama was in the beginning (contracts, roles, etc), then it faded out at the end and was pretty much all relationship stuff. But I agree, hopefully we'll see more studio time in the weeks to come!

Also, maybe I'm just not remembering properly but wasn't Rex's brother dancing at Ballet West? Where is he this season? Did we know at the end of last season he wasn't coming back and I just forgot, or is he just gone without explanation?

Hopeless

Hopeless

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

Wow. Totally agree on the drama. The Alison and Rex stuff last year was annoying, but at least with them I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt that they weren't seeking out the attention -- they were just in the middle of a really messy relationship. With Zach, though, he seems to be much more the type to actively make himself be the center of (even other people's) drama, which makes it hard to believe the possibility of getting TV time isn't something that might influence him. If he keeps going like tonight, I'm going to start being nostalgic for Alison and Rex. Hopefully that will get toned down at least some, but I don't know that I'm optimistic, unfortunately.

Ronnie's foot looks awful. I really hope they are playing up the drama in that situation, though I fully believe the danger is real. Fewer parties, more keeping off the foot, Ronnie! 

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

Loved the first twenty minutes or so.  The party drama was fine but the after party discussion with the drama queen was absurd and the shopping trip with the annoying blonde was stupid.

I liked the new dancers except for the blonde who I assume is there just for drama because she doesn't have the same visual asthetic as the rest of the dancers there and they said she was auxiliary which sounds like she's been brought in to fill the stage as the outside of the corps.

threebluestars

threebluestars

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:53 PM

Zach is a personality type I cannot deal with. The person who makes EVERYTHING about them, but especially other peoples' relationships. Can't stand that. I feel bad for his friends.

I really like Alli, I always have. I floved the fact she could barely keep a straight face about "comforting" Zach when he was stressing about Beckanne and her boyfriend's fight (which had nothing to do with him OMG get a life Zach!) She can smell Zach's bullshit a mile away and it's hilarious. Her face totally gives away her feelings and I love it lol.

I think she's a really lovely dancer too, I love watching her, and I feel like I notice her in a room of dancers a lot more this season. Also, she's so pretty.

Christiana ... I actually find her relationship issues much more compelling because they do revolve around dance and the fact her husband is involved in so much more at the company. I think that would be really hard to work and live with your spouse in such close quarters. I don't mind the focus on that. I also love watching her expressiveness when she dances. I can totally see her as Cinderella.

I feel really bad for Ronnie and his injury, but he strikes me as the type who cannot sit still, so I wasn't totally shocked his healing was compromised. I'd love to know how he keeps in dance shape when he can't dance. The gym isn't going to do much to preserve dance specific muscles, musicality etc.

Joshua looks really interesting, and it's nice to see some diversity on the show.

More focus on the dance aspects would be nice. Really nice.

Edited by threebluestars, Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:53 PM.

Gingi1976

Gingi1976

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 11:24 PM

Dear Breaking Pointe Producers:

I love this show. But I'm 30 minutes into the new season and I officially loathe Zach.

Sincerely,

The Internet

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:14 AM

I kind of feel sorry for the other three girls and two guys up for Cinderella and Prince Charming since it's obvious that the show will be influencing the casting so that it's really only between Christiana/Beckanne and Rex/Chris.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:46 AM

Save me a seat on the "I hate Zach" train I really hope they don't spend a lot of time on him, he ruins the show.

It seems like this year Beckanne is going to be the bitch, & Alison is going to be a nice girl. I don't know about her boyfriend though, I would think getting a job as a doctor would be a lot easier than getting one as a ballerina. It doesn't seem fair that Alison has to give up her entire career after she worked so hard & isn't really ready to give it up.

capital h

capital h

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:48 AM

I think it's silly to expect that the producers of this show are going to get rid of the dumb drama--it's a reality TV show at its heart. If you want to watch dance or know more about backstage goings-on, there are tons of other places to look. But the particular "drah-ma" that the show chooses to highlight is just so insipid . . . I was one of those who didn't particularly mind the Allison/Rex stuff last year because even though it was being played up for the show, there was obviously genuine emotion behind it. But the whole "Zach sticks his nose in everybody's business" is not an interesting plotline to anyone; it's the kind of stuff producers insert when there is literally nothing else going on. It's entirely fabricated and I'm not sure who it's supposed to be engaging.

Speaking of which, I'd be interested to know why he volunteered himself for that role on the show. He's very obviously playing up for the cameras, but it's such a thankless role--the entire audience hates you after ten minutes and you're irritating the shit out of your actual coworkers (I died laughing at the way Beckanne was looking at him during their little chat), just for a little screen time? I understand why people on normal reality shows offer themselves up as the villain--they never have to see any of those people again--but with this, he's potentially throwing his career and a lifetime of work away. It's all the more baffling given that he's up for one spot in the company that he's already the underdog for.

Also, I found Beckanne insufferable by the end of last season. I was willing to give her a chance again this season, but by the halfway mark . . . nope, just as obnoxious. The shit she was pulling with her boyfriend at the party was unbelievable. It wouldn't bug me so much if she didn't play the "What? Who, me? I'm just an innocent little pwincess" card so hard whenever anyone calls her out on her shit. I think she's got this hidden mean girl side just begging to be exposed, haha.

Loved Joshua; I hope they give him more than ten minutes total screen time this season. I'm also really interested in Allison's decision to leave the dance world and the Christiana/Chris relationship. More of that, less of Zach, please!

It doesn't seem fair that Alison has to give up her entire career after she worked so hard & isn't really ready to give it up.

I totally agree, except that the unspoken subtext seems to be that Allison actually is ready to give it up, or is at least halfway there. She's probably facing the fact that she's peaked as a dancer--it seems like last season she was up for the same roles as Christiana and Beckanne at least part of the time, whereas this season she's clearly not--and she's nearing the age where a lot of dancers retire (at least those who don't, and won't ever, reach the principal tier). I don't blame either of them for not wanting to do long-distance while he's in med school? a resident?, and if Allison has started contemplating retirement, it's probably a lot easier to face when you're in a happy relationship with a well-paid doctor who can presumably help bankroll whatever post-ballet career you're planning on, rather than to wait a few more years to retire and have to start over career-wise AND romantically when you're in your 30s. At least I'm hoping this is the case! Possible spoilers:

Spoiler

Edited by capital h, Jul 23, 2013 @ 1:31 AM.

emcmac87

emcmac87

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 1:39 AM

So I haven't quote figured out spoiler tagging on the forum since things have changed so I won't post anything that is an actual spoiler but the casting information is already out there for cinderella(it was performed in february).  Also I know someone mentioned feeling bad for the dancers up for principal roles that aren't part of the cast of breaking pointe and although they maybe don't emphasis it as much there are multiple performances of the show with more than one person cast for the leads(and then divided up between the shows).  I'm not positive but I think being the one who gets the first show and the last(with whatever in between) is supposed to be the most desired.

Also from what I can tell from the ballet west website Ron Tilton is still a part of the company so no idea why he's not on the show/showing up in the background of things etc.  Don't go onto the Ballet west website though if you do not want to be spoiled about the ballet west II people that get promoted and that kind of thing.

Zack...just stop.  So annoying in so many ways, I really could have done without him.  People definitely asked the smart question of but why are you upset? when he was making such a big deal about Beckanne and Chase.  Also so sorry you had to wait 3 whole months for a proposal..I'm sure it was very painful.  Zack would drive me crazy in real life.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 2:35 AM

Glad to have the show back.  I'm interested in a lot of the new faces.  I hate Zach and I'm annoyed that I'm supposed to and for that alone I'm forced to see him on this show.  

lipgloss

lipgloss

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 3:51 AM

So Beckanne has realised to get screen time she needs relationship drama. Great. And we barely saw her dance.

Dont like the new gossip boy or squeely girl. The girl, was she at another company after ballet west?

It must be very difficult for the company having the 2 guys injured at the same time, shame for us too, theyre both interesting dancers.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 5:29 AM

I knew I would loathe Zach as soon as he said that he lives for gossip & that as soon as someone says, "Don't tell anyone," he automatically wants to tell everyone. Good lord. You know you're a drama queen when Rex & Allison of all people are telling you to calm down & get over it. I loved the fact that these two people who are still on tenterhooks around each other because of last season's drama ended up being the ones to check in on the BW2 peon who was spazzing out at the party. I feel bad for anyone in the company who has to deal with Zach because everything is ALL ABOUT HIM. You know when there's any type of tragedy, he's the one saying things like, "OMG, I had a friend whose brother knew a guy & his roommate had a layover in Boston once so this Boston bomb thingie is REALLY UPSETTING FOR ME."

I really loved that Allison & Rex could barely keep from laughing at his drama queen antics. Yes, you should be super upset that SOMETHING HAPPENED which you know nothing about. Telling Silver, "Something happened at your party," should be enough to get her to care, right? I didn't like Silver at first, but her reaction to Zach made me like her more. She was just like uh, whatever, dude, & walked away, refusing to get sucked into his drama. Bonus points to her for that.

I'm reserving judgment on Beckanne for now. I'm a flirty person but Mr. EB knows it doesn't mean anything. I'm just socializing & being friendly, but flirting doesn't mean I'm interested in other people or sneaking off to make out in the bathroom with people at parties so he has nothing to be jealous of. I didn't see any truth in what Zach said about Beckanne's behavior being disrespectful to Chase. If flirting/being physical in a friendly way (I saw she had her arm around Ronnie, gasp!) is considered being disrespectful to your boyfriend then Zach was equally guilty for booty popping with Chase. Oh, what's that you say, Zach? That didn't mean anything? Exactly, you little hypocrite.

My other issue with the Beckanne/Chase fight was that Chase was the one being insecure. If he doesn't feel comfortable socializing with the senior company members, how is that Beckanne's fault? If you want to stick to the other BW2 people you know, that's fine but that doesn't mean Beckanne shouldn't be allowed to talk with Ronnie, Allison, & Christiana. When Mr. EB & I attend social events, we don't stay glued together. We are capable of separating & talking to other people without it being an issue.

As for Chase saying that Beckanne was in a mood, he was the bitchy one who started it by asked if she deserved a hug. How old is this guy supposed to be? That is so immature & classic manipulative asshole behavior. So you're withholding physical contact because you're feeling insecure about your girlfriend talking to another guy at a party? Well, that seems like a healthy relationship.

Speaking of unhealthy relationships, ugh, Allison! Is this girl capable of having a healthy, mature relationship with someone who sees her as an equal? She obviously felt superior to Rex & she obviously feels inferior to Jonathan. She can put all the positive spin on it that she wants, but she is already having doubts about whether Jonathan is worth abandoning her career. First she used the word ultimatum when describing the choice that Jonathan gave her. Secondly, she said she might be resentful about quitting her career to be with him. If that's already a possibility before it even happens, odds are pretty good that she IS going to be resentful. What I really dislike is that he is essentially saying, "My career is more important than yours," which does not bode well for their relationship.

What is it with so many of these people on the show having terrible grammar skills? Did they not learn about proper pronoun usage? Please never say "Chase and I's relationship" ever again, Beckanne. She was not the only guilty party. I noticed a lot of it during this episode & then remembered that it drove me crazy last season too ("between he and I" needs to die too).

Zack didn't have Beckanne come over so they could clear the air. He just wanted more gossip. The first thing he asked her was what happened. The second thing he asked her was what the fight was about. Then he said he felt like there was more she wasn't telling him. Geez, quit being so nosy. If she wanted to tell you, then she would have by now. Why isn't he asking Chase these questions? I also can't take relationship advice from a guy who got engaged after three months, so when he said he felt Beckanne & Chase's relationship is now different than it was at the beginning (A WHOLE MONTH AGO), it's hard for me to take that seriously. Also, like, he, like, says the word "like," like, I don't know, like, a hundred times, like, per sentence. I'm glad that she shut Zach down & told him the fight was between her & Chase and didn't involve Zach. That made me have some hope that she is not going to be an immature drama queen like Zach.

I like the new guy Joshua. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. He sees reality but he isn't melodramatic about it. I also like that he said he doesn't like the taste of alcohol. A lot of younger people feel the need to drink even if they don't actually enjoy it, so it makes me think that he is pretty secure with himself.

I was not a huge Ronnie fan last season, but when he started talking about his injury, I was cringing. Poor guy. The slow motion footage of it actually happening was painful to watch. Poor Rex too. Yikes! Injuries suck for normal people, but when your livelihood is on the line, it's really difficult. That doesn't mean you should be riding around the grocery store knocking displays over though!

I felt for Chris at the party. It's hard to maintain that professionalism in front of your students so I get why he left early. And poor Christiana. She sees her husband all the time but she doesn't get to spend personal time with him a lot, which must be really frustrating.

I'm surprised Beckanne is up for a lead role like Cinderalla when she's only a demi-soloist. I guess that's more common in a small company like Ballet West, but don't they have multiple principal dancers who would be up for Cinderella? She seems like she's at a distinct disadvantage since she doesn't have a partner to practice with too.

Edited because "from" is not the same as "for."

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Jul 23, 2013 @ 7:39 AM.

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 6:04 AM

I think it's silly to expect that the producers of this show are going to get rid of the dumb drama--it's a reality TV show at its heart. If you want to watch dance or know more about backstage goings-on, there are tons of other places to look. But the particular "drah-ma" that the show chooses to highlight is just so insipid . . .

It wasn't that I didn't expect there to be ANY drama, it's reality TV.  It's that I was expecting more concentration on the real drama that's inherent in performing arts, and less of the insipid drama you mentioned. And especially since some of the press before the show suggested that there would be less insipid drama.

I was looking for Rex's brother last night too, glad he's still with BW if not on the show.  But glad to see more of Chris, and I like the new dancer Joshua too!

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 6:48 AM

This month's issue of Pointe magazine says that there will be another ballet documentary this fall:

New York City Ballet is venturing into reality programming. Executive produced and co-developed by Sarah Jessica Parker, "city.ballet" will air beginning this fall on AOL On, the internet company's online video platform.

Parker, an NYCB board member and former ballet student, has said that the docu-series won't revolve around backstage drama. Instead, it aims to reveal the day to day lives of members of a major ballet company - and to introduce its stars to audiences outside the dance world.

EllariaSand

EllariaSand

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 6:58 AM

Less drama this year?  Boy, were the dancers mislead.  They need to quit featuring Zach.  He's like a little gnat buzzing in everyone's ears.  I appreciate that he sympathizes with his friends, but what an annoying little busybody!  At least Allison and Rex have settled things and we aren't forced to endure their drama anymore.

Still love Christiana and Chris.  How refreshing to have two grown ups leading the company.  I would be happy watching an hour of them talking about their personal and professional lives.  Allison and Rex are more tolerable without the drama.  I hope Ronnie will recover and join the dancers again.  He may be the token bad boy, but his dancing gave me chills last season.  Silver's shrill voice is going to make me crazy by the end of the season.  Joshua and Ian seem fine.

I am with Electric Boogalo concerning the grammar.  Beckanne, honey, take a remedial English class please.  ("Chase and I's relationship?"  Really?)  Ugh, she and Chase sound like a couple middle schoolers and their relationship drama is already tedious.  Last year she was cute as the plucky ingénue, this year I also am sensing the mean girl vibe.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

Even my husband, patient as he was during last night's episode, said, "So they don't dance a lot, do they?"

I think Zach believes he is on a Bravo show and not this one.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

ElectricBoogalo said:

I am really looking forward to watching this season knowing that they focused less on the drama. Then again, unless the dancers have seen the edited episodes, it's possible that there's still lots of lame relationship drama. I really hope not though! I'd be more than happy just watching rehearsals, talking about casting for shows, etc. That's all the drama I need from this show. No more of the Allison and Rex yo-yo show, please!

Based on the first episode, I don't know if there's any less focus on the drama; that Zach character is annoying as hell and I reall hope that Beckanne is not going to be this season's Allison (regarding her releationship with Chase).

Phantom Chic said:

I kind of feel sorry for the other three girls and two guys up for Cinderella and Prince Charming since it's obvious that the show will be influencing the casting so that it's really only between Christiana/Beckanne and Rex/Chris.

I don't think that is true at all ..... I can't imagine that a working ballet company would allow a television show to influence cast selection (especially when they have exclusive rights to Cinderella).

oregano

oregano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

There was so much subtext going on between Chris and the male "freshmen" dancers. Oh my!

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 11:07 AM

Still too much emphasis on sophomoric relationship crap but then it is CW and they are attempting a fine line in terms of hooking in the teenage/young 20 girls who are their theoretical viewer base for the network. 

I personally find the actual back stage drama more compelling than relationship problems - and Zac can disappear from the screen as soon as possible he must be milking this shtick to get screen time because I can't believe that ANYONE over the age of 12 would start crying at a party because another couple was arguing.

Are there any updates on Ronnie's foot because infections when one has any kind of bone surgery are potentially quite serious. One of my parents' friends had a hip replaced which became infected and they had to take out the replacement and put her on IV antibiotics for several months with absolutely no weight on the leg because she had no hip at that point. I would imagine it would be similar for Ronnie if the bone had become infected as they would have to take out what they had put in - treat the infection vigorously - and then attempt to fix the foot again with pins when the infection was completely gone.

I don't know if it's fair to blame Ronnie if it is infected - versus not healing quickly because infection is something that occurs during the surgery and immediate post op period because the bacteria is inside the body and doesn't have anything to do with overusing it.

Joonbug9109

Joonbug9109

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 11:15 AM

Ronnie's foot looks awful. I really hope they are playing up the drama in that situation, though I fully believe the danger is real. Fewer parties, more keeping off the foot, Ronnie!

I mean, everything the Nurse told him IMO was believable. The foot did look bad and he does have a piece of metal in there right now. Complications from surgeries like that can be very serious. I'm really hoping he takes it easy so it can heal properly!!

I understand why people on normal reality shows offer themselves up as the villain--they never have to see any of those people again--but with this, he's potentially throwing his career and a lifetime of work away

My thoughts with Zach are that he probably sees being on the show as an opportunity. I don't think he cares so much about dance as he does about being famous. He's probably thinking that other TV opportunities might come of this if Ballet doesn't work out for him.

Speaking of unhealthy relationships, ugh, Allison! Is this girl capable of having a healthy, mature relationship with someone who sees her as an equal? She obviously felt superior to Rex & she obviously feels inferior to Jonathan. She can put all the positive spin on it that she wants, but she is already having doubts about whether Jonathan is worth abandoning her career. First she used the word ultimatum when describing the choice that Jonathan gave her. Secondly, she said she might be resentful about quitting her career to be with him. If that's already a possibility before it even happens, odds are pretty good that she IS going to be resentful. What I really dislike is that he is essentially saying, "My career is more important than yours," which does not bode well for their relationship.

I kind of had a different take on it. Depending on where he is at in his residency (I think depending on specialty its 4-5+ years), if she stays in Utah they could be looking at several years of a long distance relationship until he is done with his residency. Also like someone mentioned earlier, female professional dancers don't usually have very long careers in dance (Christianna is a rarity). Allison might just be at that point where she has to evaluate whether she wants to A) continue with dance and get maybe a few more years out of her career, but lose her relationship. Then when she retires have to start over both career wise and relationship wise or B) Retire now and move on to the next chapter of her life.

I think she said "ultimatum" more for the drama that making that statement illicits. It sounds like it's more a personal choice for her and that the long distance relationship is mutually wearing on the two of them. I highly doubt this guy is telling her that her career is worthless. However with that said, in relationships you have to make compromises. Realistically Allison won't be dancing professionally for the rest of her life, and his career holds more longevity and financial stability. That's just the reality of the comparison between their jobs. Either choice is risky for her, because it could end up not working out in her favor either way.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

Normally I would bristle at the idea that a woman should automatically give up her career because the male career is more important.

However, I think realistically Allison has plateaued in terms of her ballet career - Perhaps I'm confused - is she a demi or corps? At any rate, Beckanne clearly has the talent and *it* factor/charisma so that it is likely that she will become a prima ballerina.

If that choice - man or career were posed to Beckanne, I would be completely appalled that she would be asked to give up what appears to be a brilliant career at the very beginning versus Allison who is being asked to essentially look at her career realistically. At most she has a few more years of relative mediocrity with no substantial chance of breaking out.

I will accept at face value that the guy is okay and the relationship is relatively healthy except for his being stuck in Detroit and she being stuck in SLC. I will assume he has some more years to go since there wasn't any discussion of his being almost through training and thus able to relocate.

lbfilmbuff

lbfilmbuff

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

Very glad to see this return, but I was also really hoping for the return of Christiana's eyebrows.  Oh well.  At least she is still such an expressive dancer and I guess you can always draw them in for the stage. ;-) 

I have no problem at all with the Chris & Christiana drama because that drama revolves around the demands of the ballet world.  That is also why I find this season Allison drama to be a lot more compelling, i.e. what will you do for love?  And does romantic love win out over love of dance?  Also, it's clear that this was the issue all along with Rex and I'm glad they finally brought it to the surface.

I was so, so glad they finally featured a gay guy since this is the world of ballet after all, and so, so disappointed that it has to be Zach.  He's just so unappealing in every way.  His icky personality even makes his looks rather icky.  Run away Zach's fiance!

And I can swear that I've seen Chase and that other tall guy (Zach's "competition" at Ballet West 2, though methinks there is not much competition there. ;-)  So fellow dance watchers, where do I know them from?  I figure it's either from So You Think You Can Dance, or from that one-off show where those Brit Ballet Boys put together a troupe of dancers (a LOT of them from SLC) and they all trekked to the woods somewhere and put on a show.  Allison (the one from SYTYCD) was heavily featured.