23-20: "The Spy Who Learned Me" 2012.05.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

From SNPP:

Homer and Marge's date night, to a spy film, goes so wrong that when Homer gets injured at work and receives six weeks off to heal, rather than tell Marge about it, he "goes to work" every day to get lessons in how to improve his marriage from someone he thinks is the spy from the movie

The spy (who may or may not be James Bont) is voiced by Bryan Cranston.

ETA: Neat couch gag. Definitely need a screenshot to see everyone.

Stradivarius Cain totally ripped off McBain popping out of the ice sculpture in the movie. At least Doctor Cain appeared to Homer as a hallucination, and could see other imaginary friends (like Female Snuffy. Who had sex with Dr. Cain's girlfriend). Doctor Cain in Maggie's baby seat near the end was such a great visual. On the topic of imaginary, Lou disappearing in front of Wiggum gave me the best laugh from this show in a hell of a long time.

Of all the "Homer & Marge's marriage is in trouble" conflicts, Homer MSTing a movie is one of the pettiest. Homer's ruined lots of movies with less consequences, and I'm counting that time when ruining the movies let to him breaking his jaw, which actually HELPED his marriage!

"No one will tell me if I'm a ghost or not!" Classic Grampa quote in the making!

God, I LOVED the Super-Size Me parody with Eric Idle. RIP Declan Desmond. Bart getting inspired by the movie to get back at Nelson by making him fat was pretty clever. I liked that the whole reason why Lisa wanted Nelson to get helathier because she was shallow.

Oh great now, we'll get "Lisa Gets a B Plus." But at least Bryan Cranston comes back! In any case, I thought this was pretty good! and Funny! Sure, the whole "misunderstanding leads Homer in peril" was kinda stupid, but I still liked it!

Edited by InvaderNorbert, May 6, 2012 @ 7:31 PM.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I'm surprised there's been no other comments because I also thought this was a pretty good episode, and I normally hate Marge/Homer marriage in crisis episodes. Maybe because the crisis parts accounted for a very small part of it, and they stopped the big fight right when it was about to happen.

I had a bunch of laughs, but my biggest were probably the Batgirl jab and "...but it turned out to be big talk."

I also liked how a commercial for Tic-Tac-Toe was being shown on Moe's TV.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, May 7, 2012 @ 10:09 AM.

Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

I'm also surprised to see so few comments. This was a solid episode, and both plotlines were a lot of fun. It was a pleasant surprise to see Denclan Desmond return yet again. The Super Size Me parody was great.

"Again with the Greg Kinnear!"

Homer's eyeballs filling up with blood was a genuinely disturbing sight.

orangeslice

orangeslice

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

I don't always comment on every episode, but I really enjoyed last night. I liked that all the kids who get bullied by Nelson, didn't run from the playground when he showed up at the end, but attempted to fight him

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Poor overweight Nelson. I was so expecting him to be sporting a muumuu and jaunty cap a la Homer when Homer gained weight to qualify for disability, with his trademark vest over the muumuu.

I liked last night's episode, it was just ok to me although I thought Bryan Cranston of course did a fantastic job as Stradivarius Cain (he can do no wrong in my eyes!).

Oh and Mr. Teeny flipping burgers at Krusty Burger is just so wrong, LOL.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

So who's the Cranston guy? Never heard of him.

Other than that, I thought the episode was just okay. But at least not as crappy as the past few seasons. Show seems to be getting it together.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Bryan Cranston- Walter White on Breaking Bad, the dad from Malcolm in the Middle, and Ted Watley DDS from Seinfeld.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, May 20, 2012 @ 1:41 PM.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

I rewatched this episode during its reairing, and I forgot how funny Stradavarius Cain was. He might be one of my favorite guest stars in several years. It's a combination of Cranston's voice work and little animation things like him in the car seat and peering at Marge and Homer kissing.