Longmire: Starbuck Gets Justified

• Please log in to reply

910 replies to this topic

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

Is anyone else super excited for this show? The promo photos and teaser trailers look pretty great and I love the cast! Katee Sackhoff is always fantastic and I'm so glad she's back on my TV. Lou Diamond Phillips and Grandma Saracen and Bailey Chase also have me excited to watch. Not a huge Cassidy Freeman fan (Tess was one of my least favorite things about Smallville) but maybe she'll be less annoying here. Haven't seen Robert Taylor in anything else, but he's giving me an early Harrison Ford vibe.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I'm looking forward to it cautiously because as awesome as Katee Sackhoff is, she's the polar opposite of the Vic Moretti in the books in appearance (black-haired, olive-skinned, brown-golden-eyed Philadelphian), and that's going to take a bit of getting used to. But I'm not going to be one of those book geeks who can't deal with the translation from words to video because if the show is as good as the books, it's going to be very enjoyable.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

True, she's not physically a ringer for Vic, but nobody does attitude and authority better for my money. LDP doesn't look anything like Henry either really. Not half as big, no ponytail, kind of younger. But I think they'll both do a great job with the spirit of the characters. I'm interested to see what they do with Branch since Turk is barely a character in the books.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

I hate Westerns and I never read the book, but I love Katee Sackhoff, so I'm in. And anyway, once upon a time I hated sci-fi.

andi pandi

andi pandi

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

Saving others the google, here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0naK6Nk1xP8

Very Justified. I like a dry-wit gritty lawman though so maybe I'll check it out. Didn't get much sense of what Katie's character is from the trailer...

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

Katee Sackoff and Lou Diamond Phillips...I'm in!

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

andi pandi, Katee's character is a very ballsy, sarcastic, sexy deputy. If you liked early season Starbuck (before the angst and destiny stuff), I think you'll like Vic a lot. Wish the trailers featured more of her and LDP, and a little less of Robert Taylor/Walt actually, but I guess they're setting the stage for now and there will be more trailers released with all cast as we get closer?

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Thanks so much, TaraGel, I wouldn't have even known about this if it wasn't for you and like others I'm in for both Katee Sackhoff and Lou Diamond Phillips. I'm not a big fan of westerns, but it depends on the story. It's got a leg up with me based on the casting decisions though!

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

stillshimpy, yay! So glad you're gonna check it out. I always love your take on episodes! I'm not usually a Western fan myself, my interest is mainly with Katee's involvement, but hopefully the great cast, the modern take on it and the humor will keep me enjoying this one!

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Bless you for making this awesomely titled thread! I hadn't even heard about this, but after watching the trailer, I'm in. I can't describe how excited I am that Katee Sackhoff is in something that I actually have interest in seeing. Good times!

Much as I love me some Tim Olyphant, Justified lost me and I need another cop show-meets-Western in my life.

ETA: This is based on a book series? I may have to load up my Nook.....

Edited by hardy har, May 8, 2012 @ 9:31 PM.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

Here's another new trailer: Meet the Characters: Walt Longmire

Finally we get a few glimpses of Katee and Bailey Chase too. Looks like the first of a few different character trailers. Good stuff.

Hardy har, the books are written by an author named Craig Johnson. He's got 8 of them now I think, a new one just came out.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:14 AM

I came across this series about a month ago and quickly got addicted and had to read all the books. They are really good. And to clear something up, these are not 'Westerns', they are murder mysteries set in the contemporary West of Wyoming. Big difference.

I only hope A&E doesn't screw things up too badly. There are only 6 books in the series with a 7th to be published next week. Johnson's books have intricate plots that may not translate well to TV. I hope we only get the stories he's written, perhaps each book spread over several episodes, rather than cutting everything to the bone and stuffing one story into 45 minutes.

And yet another Aussie playing a typical American icon. I expect he'll do well, nevertheless.

Edited by Quilt Fairy, May 10, 2012 @ 3:15 AM.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Quilt Fairy--I've been following reports of the show filming (they're on episode six or seven right now) and they're not following the books plotlines as far as I can tell. One episode features
Spoiler
. Regardless, I'm still excited to watch it. I think the spirit of the books will be well-captured and I'm hoping the show really opens up the books' plotlines a little more. Vic and Henry are so fantastic and we get such little glimpses of them in the books really. Would love to see more of them.

I read an article a while back that said they went with an Aussie for Walt because he had the right amount of machismo and gravitas, and that American actors were all a little too modern/metrosexual for the role. Thought that was kind of interesting. From the trailers I think Robert Taylor seems like a great Walt.

There's a new character trailer released today on the Longmire facebook page too: Lou Diamond Phillips is Henry Standing Bear. Looks great! Each new trailer is making me more excited for this one.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Lots of new cast photos and character info at the newly opened www.aetv.com/longmire site! Also a new vid today: Meet Branch & The Ferg

Finally! Here's the character vid I was waiting for: Katee Sackhoff is Vic Moretti

Love all the promos A&E is doing. The show looks great.

Edited by TaraGel, May 13, 2012 @ 2:28 AM.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

TaraGel - those are bad vid links. Can you repost them, please? Thanks!

Edited by CoderLady, May 12, 2012 @ 12:21 PM.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

Ooh sorry bout that! All the vid trailers are posted here on Facebook.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

ADDED 5/20:

Just a reminder but today's the day you can finally set the DVR for Longmire (since most DVRs only let you program 2 weeks in advance): A&E, 10 pm ET/9 pm CT.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

Am I spamming at this point? Hope not. Just wanted to say there's a substantial (couple minutes long) scene from the pilot episode up here: http://bcove.me/cd0wqfwj

Looks pretty good to me. This sets up a nice amount of conflict/emotional weightiness and I couldn't be more pleased with the casting. Robert Taylor is really great as Walt.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Pretty much the only test I have is, do I want to know what happens next? And I do. Already season-passed, and thanks for the reminder by the way.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

Excited for the premiere tonight. Will be interesting to see ratings, especially after all the promotion they've been doing!

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I'm interested to see how ratings do as well. I believe it's up against Mad Men.

AICN has a roundup of a few reviews. Consensus seems to be kind of meh with the biggest complaint that the show is a bit slow and it seems to be unfavorably compared to Justified a lot. Honestly, that makes me more excited to see Longmire because Justified lost me with it's ridiculousness a while ago. I tend to stick with shows longer than I should just because I like the actors, but I can't remember the last time I stuck with a procedural show beyond a season or two because I actually liked, y'know, the show. I hope I like this one.

Edited by hardy har, Jun 3, 2012 @ 11:48 AM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

Meh indeed, that's a sad bunch of reviews. From faint praise to flat out scorn. "... There's very little drama, and the pilot episode lumbers along like an overfed elk." Ouch. But I often love shows that the rest of the world hates (and vice-versa) so I don't give all that much weight to reviews.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Well, that was just strange. They took the basic framework from the first book - body found in the woods, shot by an unusual antique firearm - and grafted a totally different story on to it. What I didn't like was that in the book, there is a clear compelling reason for the murder and the weapon and the murderer makes sense.(I'm trying not to give too much away if you haven't read the books - you're in for a treat.) In the show, there could have been anybody in that truck that Walt shot at. In fact, I thought when there were 2 minutes left in the show and we didn't have a resolution yet, they were going to end the pilot on a cliff-hanger. Nope, slam, bam, thank you ma'am, we have our killer.

I really wanted to like this show and I was bored. I hope that it's just that it's the pilot and things will get better when the actors settle into their roles. I am not hopeful when I saw some of the future storylines. It seems like TPTB are going to screw up Walt Longmire worse than the True Blood people screwed up Sookie Stackhouse.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

I'm just here for Katee Sackhoff.

And also because however poorly the next few episode might turn out, it will never be as shitty as The Glades.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

Never read the books and thought this was pretty boring. I also didn't feel any sympathy for the Sheriff. If he's not going to do his job then he needs to step down. Checking out for a full year, even in a sleepy town, is not good for anyone.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

I liked it. But then I am a sucker for cops outside of NYPD, LAPD, CPD and smaller cities that might as well be one of the big three. the funny thing is that I recognized most of the cast except the sheriff.

TaraGel

TaraGel

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

Quilt Fairy--it doesn't follow the plots of the novels. It's adapted and takes chunks of the various books' storylines (the horse/barn fire from The Dark Horse might be one) and takes most of the characters' personalities. But it's its own vehicle. TV adaptations are seldom if ever faithful to the books. (Even GoT makes a lot of changes.)

For me, I really liked the books, but they're all Walt, all the time. He's great, but I'm really hopeful the TV show is going to develop the other characters and really create a family out of these people, rather than the way they're used in the books (which is incredibly sparingly). I think the whole cast is way too good to get marginalized and as such they're going to have to change the books to better accomodate the whole cast. I hope so anyway...

As for me, I liked it a lot more than I'd hoped to. I was watching for Katee (and Lou and Bailey and Louanne) but I really was pleasantly surprised by how character-centric it was and I liked the slow pacing as being reflective of the West and Walt's own personality. I thought it gave it a style and depth that made it rise above your average procedural. The mystery was no great shakes, but I didn't much mind. Loved the conflict between Walt and Branch and all the relationship establishing that happened.

Edited by TaraGel, Jun 4, 2012 @ 1:56 AM.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:30 AM

Okay, according to IMDb, Our Walt was also, among other things, a lackey for Agent Smith in The Matrix, a priest in the later seasons of Ballykissangel (an Irsih-set series), and an Austrailian heist movie The Hard Word.

I generally liked the pilot, but a big ol' clunker was the "You see the Indian at The Red Pony." (bold mine) Dude, it's Wyoming. There are a few "Indians" around. Still, Walt can't actually be intelligent about the bar that he's been in more than once or twice. No, he has to accuse his long-time friend because... his head bump was more severe than the paramedics thought? He caught amnesia? ::shakes head:: Just very clunky.

In the show, there could have been anybody in that truck that Walt shot at. In fact, I thought when there were 2 minutes left in the show and we didn't have a resolution yet, they were going to end the pilot on a cliff-hanger.

Quilt Fairy, you got what was causing me confusion- the winnowing of suspects didn't feel average. There were names that didn't seem to connect, names without faces, and then Alvaro(?) getting it at the cabin. It seemed too rushed and could've benefitted from 90 minutes instead of the hour. Also, how close is tv Walt to book Walt, unless it's too early to line them up.

From the "Coming up" preview, I just hope that Cady and Bailey Chase's character aren't sleeping together. It's a tired cliche I can do without. If it's going that way, then I hope that it's sporadically brought up and written tightly and well. Then the actors will have a c hance to do something good with a tired story maybe.

I like Henry, The Ferg!, and the Barnes'. Oh, and Ruby! Every onery Western sheriff needs a sunny, sarcastic keeper to keep up appearances that he can remember stuff and be social from time to time.

For some reason, I like that the Reservation force isn't thrilled with Longmire, but the other police we saw weren't blocking his investigation because he put an (obviously)corrupt cop away. This wasn't the time to make. it. personal. and I appreciated that writing.

The only other thing that struck me was how some folks seemed to think Walt needed to be "over" his grief. It had been just a year. Not long, considering they had a grown daughter. Mrs. Walt's death (Quilt Fairy, if she's been named, can you tell us, please?) could set-up an interesting line throug line about grief- how Walt's allowed to grieve vs. the public's demands on him as sheriff, as an iconic male type- sheriff- has a year been too long in White Maleland?

Great; now I have more books to hunt down and read! *g*

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 3:19 AM

Okay, according to IMDb, Our Walt was also, among other things, a lackey for Agent Smith in The Matrix

Yep, he was totally this agent! I thought he looked vaguely familiar. Never would have predicted he was the same guy.

Decided to check it out despite still being upset with A&E after they canceled by beloved Breakout Kings, and it was alright for a pilot. A few things I wasn't wild about, but there was other stuff I did. I mainly loved the scenery and location (New Mexico, right? I know it's suppose to be Wyoming, but I could have sworn I heard it's filmed in NM), the actors (Katee Sackhoff and Lou Diamond Phillips), and I like some of the potential stories (I hope we get more about the Native Americans, their Reservation, and the tension between them and the rest of the town). Walt didn't automatically grab my attention, but I think he could be an interesting character to watch.

I do hope they flesh out more of the side characters, because a lot of them felt one-dimensional so far (the cop who has conflict with Walt, the funny cop, the wiseass first officer who is new to the area, etc.), and I'm already prepared to be bored over the election story. And I felt the crime part of it was rushed at the end and I couldn't bring myself to care about the resolution. But it is the first episode, so I'll give it a chance.

I wasn't paying attention to the credits, but I could have sworn that the actor playing the pimp; who hilariously was standing right at the window, so you knew he was totally going get shot... talk about a cliche; was Eddie Spears a.k.a. Joseph from Hell on Wheels. It it wasn't him, he was a dead ringer for the actor.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 4:04 AM

"A kindness of ravens," well now I finally understand that pretentious novel title on One Tree Hill. But I agree with Vic, what's wrong with "a flock"?

I'm just here for Katee Sackhoff.

I'm here for Katee Sackhoff too. In fact, I thought this was a Western - not just something set in the West. I never read the books either, which is almost always an advantage, because I rarely like a show better than I liked the book.

It was a little bit slow, but it's a pilot, so I take that into consideration. I liked the characters enough to want to know more about them. I liked that the setting is completely unfamiliar to me - it's fun getting to know a new place, and I'm so tired of the usual cities. And, I will always like watching Katee Sackhoff lunge at people and make smartass remarks. "Men, take off your pants!"