The Conversation with Amanda de Cadenet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

15 replies to this topic

canter

canter

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Has anyone been watching this Lifetime show? The first week, the guests were Gwyneth Paltrow, Jane Fonda, Zoe Saldana, and Sarah Silverman, and this week the guests were Lady Gaga, Portia de Rossi, Rita Wilson, and Leslie Bennets. They air a 10-or-so-minute segment with each guest having a deepish conversation with Amanda de Cadenet (I know, who?), then at the end she asks each guest the same series of questions, James Lipton style -- stuff like "What's your favorite sex position?" and "What would you say to your 14-year-old self?"

I've liked some of the guests each time, so I've found it interesting, although it's definitely a conversation (heh) rather than an interview -- Amanda interjects her own stuff quite a bit, and since I didn't know who she was prior to the show it doesn't hold my interest as much as what the guests have to say. Also, since she's half of each conversation I think it'll get tiresome hearing the same thoughts over and over. And she finishes the guests' sentences for them all the time, which is annoying.

One funny thing I noticed was that Demi Moore (who I think is a co-creator of the show) is shown at the end of both episodes posing for pictures with the guests, and both times she says, "Just don't make my head look like a pinhead."

Edited by canter, May 4, 2012 @ 2:18 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

I saw an ad for this on a public phone in NYC & had an immediate negative reaction although I had no idea who Amanda De Cadenet was. Then I realized I was hearing someone say her name disparagingly with a northern English accent and that it was Bubble from Ab Fab. I take it she used to be a model & wife of a Duran & now she is not. She had that privileged air I can't stand, especially when talking with Paltrow (ditto). I may try to watch the second episode, but I was not impressed by the first.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Amanda de Cadenet had a modicum of fame in the 90's for two things. First, she was married to one of the guys in Duran Duran. I don't know which, though I am certain it wasn't Simon Lebon. Secondly, she was something of a celebrity hanger-on. She was kind of Courtney Love's sidekick for a while. Outside of that, I hadn't heard her name in ages until this show was announced. Right now the only thing of note about this show has been her asking her guests about their favorite sexual positions.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

I tried watching the second episode and fell asleep.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

I figured she was some sort of celebrity hanger on-er since she has been getting such big names. But my eyes rolled each time she joked about her breasts sagging now that she has kids, in what planet is that still a hilarious and blunt observation?

Edited by Morbs, May 5, 2012 @ 6:42 PM.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

I stopped watching this, because it seems like she wants to be the one being interviewed, so it looks like she's always waiting for a chance to jump in with her stuff. I don't mind a conversational tone, but if she could back off and let it be about them, that would help the show a lot.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Same reaction here. I tried it twice and lost interest by about 15 minutes in. It is too scripted and fake for me. I took it off my DVR list.

LostWithSawyer

LostWithSawyer

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

I stopped watching this, because it seems like she wants to be the one being interviewed, so it looks like she's always waiting for a chance to jump in with her stuff.

I had such high hopes for this show but I unfortunately agree with this assessment. I get the feeling that she shares her dirt to be more "in league" with the celebs, but it often times comes off feeling out of place. I don't know much about her background but I have a hard time believing that she has lived through the harsh public scrutiny that drove many of her guests to depression, drugs, eating disorders, and other types of destructive behavior.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

I looked, but can't seem to locate it. What time is it on?

sweetwilliam

sweetwilliam

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 6:02 AM

I have enjoyed the guests but not the host. When she was "conversing" with Jane Fonda, Amanda said, "Well yes we are all having sex and if we're not we're WANTING to..." when Jane interrupted, "No, there are plenty of women who have no interest in sex and THAT'S OK." So then Amanda nods in agreement. Oy. It's like she wants to say the right thing to agree with the guest. Too much sucking up.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I looked, but can't seem to locate it. What time is it on?

I could be mistaken, but I think it's on Lifetime at 11pm on Thursdays.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

I think she dated Keanu Reeves, that's all I know.

canter

canter

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

I have enjoyed the guests but not the host. When she was "conversing" with Jane Fonda, Amanda said, "Well yes we are all having sex and if we're not we're WANTING to..." when Jane interrupted, "No, there are plenty of women who have no interest in sex and THAT'S OK." So then Amanda nods in agreement. Oy. It's like she wants to say the right thing to agree with the guest. Too much sucking up.

I agree -- watching her flip-flop on that topic was entertaining. She immediately backpedaled and started saying, "No, of course, whatever each person chooses for themselves is fine." And so often when a guest makes a statement, the host will get an all-too-knowing look in her eye and say, "Oh, I know." It's irritating -- she should let it be more about the guests.

zerographic

zerographic

Channel Surfer

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I am really enjoying this show. Even better, my husband likes it too. We keep having to pause the episode to discuss our own thoughts on a subject which is really fun. For example, the Eva Mendes segment made us talk about financial independence from an SO.

However, I will say it's quickly become our little game to play Spot The Demi at the end of each show. It makes me wonder if Demi Moore is at every interview and why she is. And IF she is, then why doesn't she just interview the people?

Edited by zerographic, May 28, 2012 @ 2:47 PM.

cheeztoast

cheeztoast

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

Here's the 411 on Amanda - her father is Alain de Cadenet who's well-known in racing circles and I think appears on British television a lot on car-related shows. She was married to Duran Duran's John Taylor when she was still about 19, I believe. They had one daughter, divorced and she is now married to The Strokes's Nick Valensi with whom she has twins. She was a presenter on British TV, most notably The Word, modelled (including nude), and acted a little bit (Four Rooms, Fall) and is now a pretty good photographer - mostly celebrities, models, rock stars, hipster-types.

I've watched the first two episodes of the show and it is produced to within an inch of its life - it's like a commercial for Dove or you-go-girl empowerment or tampons. The interviews are very ass-kissing - tell us how awesome you are and how I could possibly get to be as awesome as you. Despite the narcissism, I can't help liking Amanda. I feel like she kind of plugs along and I like that she's gained weight and is still quite attractive. I can't hate her. It would help this show immensely though if we got actual interesting stories out of these women instead of, "You just have to be the best you you can be!" kind of stuff.

ETA - Demi is producer of this show, I'm not surprised she couldn't help interject herself at the end of each episode, though I'm puzzled why she isn't being interviewed - maybe that's at the end of the series.

Edited by cheeztoast, May 29, 2012 @ 9:00 AM.

canter

canter

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Kelly Preston looked like she regretted having started that whole "dress/8 pounds" story about halfway through the telling of it -- it made "Johnny" and herself both sound pretty lame. In fact, she waffled repeatedly on the whole body image thing throughout her interview. She seemed to want to give the message that body size is irrelevant since we're all spiritual beings, and a few times she said things like she and John love each other no matter what size they are, but then she told that weird 8 pounds story, and when Amanda asked her how they maintain attraction after 20 years one of the first things she said was something like, "He's hot -- he's lost a lot of weight. I mean, not that that matters..."