8-22: "Let the Bad Times Roll" 2012.05.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

115 replies to this topic

bijoux83

bijoux83

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

Jackson mentioned Catherine being half naked with a senior attending at his hospital as being par for the course. Does that mean there was some other "Richard" at Mercy West, Jackson's medical school, or someone else? After being pretty indifferent to Jackson the entire time he's been on the show, I really like the Averys.

I don't think it was a specific reference to her having a history of banging his superiors. I took it just to mean that Catherine was always inappropriate. Which I agree with based on her previous appearances.

mooshki

mooshki

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:24 AM

It's tough to depict someone who follows natural remedies for cancer!! as being a smart guy

Steve Jobs inspired?

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:16 AM

April needs to be shipped off to nutsville, seriously. Lexie also annoyed me with her stuttering, it's just ridiculous.

Loved the fab 3 as usual. I hope neither of them dies, nor Callie, Bailey or Derek. Everyone else, couldn't care less.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

I'm kind of stuck on the distracting idea that you can have 1/3 of your skull replaced without having to lose any hair on your head, or needing any bandages afterwards. That Derek Sheppard is a freaking *genius* with a scapel!

bijoux83

bijoux83

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

I'm kind of stuck on the distracting idea that you can have 1/3 of your skull replaced without having to lose any hair on your head, or needing any bandages afterwards. That Derek Sheppard is a freaking *genius* with a scapel!

For real! What was that? I was also a bit freaked out about how they would manage to shave him without brain damage. Oh well, crisis averted. They also didn't do much about his face. Mark was there and he was talking about how they would fix the disfiguration. I didn't really see any.

Higgie

Higgie

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

All I can say is I am praying that April leaves medicine to join the convent so she won't be on the show next season. She is and always has been a waste of screen time.

Viva Elijah

Viva Elijah

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

I find April incredibly annoying. But I like Jackson. I understand how they can be attracted to one another, but that does not mean I wanted to see it actualized on screen. I have actually thought that Jackson fits in well with the remaining originals (Meredith, Christina, and Alex). But April (and it past seasons all the other randoms they introduced from Mercy West) kinda ruins that dynamic.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

April and Jackson the new merder lol

manbearpig

manbearpig

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Have loved the last three or four episodes. Arizona exploding in rage at her friend was wonderful, Jessica Capshaw needs to be given more dramatic material. I always love hearing about Arizona's brother.

Really pleased that Meredith, Alex, and Cris passed. I've actually always liked April, particularly when she becomes a little unhinged (winning the trauma contest, getting in a bar fight last episode, etc.), but her devout faith came out of nowhere. At least hint at it a little beforehand, even if she was supposedly hiding it from everyone.

Anyone else think Izzie would have been great in that episode? Granted, she was my favourite character, but that is the first time in a while (well, since the dream/alternate episode) that I actively thought about how she would slot into an episode.

I'm getting pretty anxious about the finale now...

Edited by manbearpig, May 6, 2012 @ 8:06 PM.

Noldi

Noldi

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

I loved Dr. Craig wishing Christina "good luck". I think he was a little turned on by her arrogance and confidence.

These characters are exaggerated a little for TV, but trust me when I tell you that skilled surgical residents are like that. Yes they are.

nodepth

nodepth

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

I loved Dr. Craig wishing Christina "good luck". I think he was a little turned on by her arrogance and confidence.

These characters are exaggerated a little for TV, but trust me when I tell you that skilled surgical residents are like that. Yes they are.

Yeah and had she not admitted that she would not have done the procedure the way Dr. Craig suggested, he might have failed her. He wanted her, by whatever means she chose to own it and not do what we know she's use to doing which is, kissing the ass of her superiors, needing to please, needing their approval and saying what she thinks they want to hear. He wanted her to stick to her guns. It reminded me of how Callie was tutoring Meredith and purposely kept pressing her but Meredith would not back down from her answer. Finally, Callie said that she was ready for the test. So, I knew when Cristina answered that question truthfully in the end that, that is what he was looking for.

Edited by nodepth, May 7, 2012 @ 6:23 PM.

kurtz

kurtz

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Did anyone else notice that print hanging in the mens' room during April & Jackson's interlude? Interestingly, it was that San Francisco landmark, the Coit Tower.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Jackson and April's bathroom exploits annoyed me for several reasons. First, why lock the bathroom door then use a stall? Seems like that is not the most comfy option as you have the whole bathroom to choose from. Second, the narrarating... we already watched it. No point in reminding us what happened!!!! Jackson is so pretty though I'm usually willing to forgive whatever happens with him.
LOVED Meredith and Alex rocking it. I was cringing watching Christina, but she was doing the task at hand so I'm not sure what else she could have done diffrently to make the examiner happy (YMMV). He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder from the beginning, and she's already a defensive person so I can see how that would be true to her character to get her back up more. I did like his "good luck" at the end... watching it first time, I thought it was foreboding and ominous but now I see it as much more of a cheeky/have a good career comment.
Unpopular opinion time- I'm okay with Derek being Zola's "arm candy" and not serving much other purpose on the shows these days. His arrogance usually bugs me, so seeing Amazing Doctor Sheppard isn't always my thing (small doses!) and Zola is so freaking cute I will take any chance to see her.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Yeah and had she not admitted that she would not have done the procedure the way Dr. Craig suggested, he might have failed her. He wanted her, by whatever means she chose to own it and not do what we know she's use to doing which is, kissing the ass of her superiors, needing to please, needing their approval and saying what she thinks they want to hear. He wanted her to stick to her guns.

Sticking to her guns and not kissing ass is one, thing but I hated her downright rudeness and disrespect ("uhh....what decade are we talking?" or whatever she said). Cristina is my favorite female character, but that kind of arrogance made me hope for her failure. Yes, she is brilliant, but the medical world doesn't revolve around her and brilliance doesn't justify out and out rudeness. I thought the same thing about Alex yelling at his proctors.

nodepth

nodepth

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

I had no issue with Cristina responding the way she did, I didn't cringe, I loved it. I was only hoping that she would turn it around and say what she was really thinking and I loved the way she said it. The line about how those characters on Mash might have done the procedure and telling him to pick a decade, hilarious. I think Dr. Craig loved messing with her, he knows the type, and quite frankly, he may have even been the type. The actor has definitely played the Cristina type character when he played a doctor.

Spare me

Spare me

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Technically it should be 2010 in Grey's world, but the show has always run on two different clocks. When did they make a reference to the year though?

Or the first 3 seasons could have been based on the year they finish their "internships"...

Spare me

Spare me

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

double post

Edited by Spare me, May 8, 2012 @ 10:01 PM.

travelgrl

travelgrl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

Hated the bathroom sex scene though I thought it was funny that it calmed Jackson. Totally correct guy response. Unless he could have taken a nap =)

Cris was being very true to character and I agree, not overly arrogant for a surgeon. She answered each of the questions analytically and knew she gave a thorough correct answer. She only got frustrated when he seemed to want something different and she tried to give it. Yes, the 'which generation' comment was rude but I'm guessing not at all surprising during these tests. Neither are meltdowns. This is a great deal of stress and stress brings out all of our worst qualities.

I'm really glad that our Fab 3 passed and Kepner failed. She is an annoying twitchy mess at this point and keeping her far far away from the operating room is a good thing. Still not an iota convinced with the religious turn. Still feels like the writers came up with a BRILLIANT idea while out drinking and just wrote it in.

Argh, really want to know about the contracts. That will likely determine who will live and die and who will be a cliffhanger for next season.

potatoradio

potatoradio

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

I cringed more during Lexie's "confession" than I did during April's board session. Honestly, I thought Lexie just came across so 'tweenish and borderline whackjob that I was relieved with the other love interest showed up. I mean, really, "I have...been...in..fec...ted...with...a...disease....yep, I have the...disease of Mark Sloan!" How original. How flattering. Grow a pair, Lexie.

In the hands of writers who understand how to develop characters and integrate character with plot, well, April's devotion to her religion might have been made her a slightly more rounded and interesting character. Oh well. I can suspend disbelief about a lot of things, but a devout Christian who never, ever mentions her religion, even if she is apparently so fearful of disdain? Not buying a single bit o' that, nor do I buy that, in the medical community, being devoutly Christian would get you tossed or scorned.

I want Jackson to be a better actor than he is, I'm afraid.

(edited b/c Marcia Brady actually never had bangs)

Edited by potatoradio, May 10, 2012 @ 1:44 PM.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Do we actually know that Kepner failed? It wasn't stated in the episode that she did. And just because it was said that one of the Seattle Grace doctors failed the boards, it doesn't necessarily mean it was one of the characters we see every week.... there are more residents than just the ones we see! I hope she did pass, so she can take a job in another city and I never have to see her annoying I-Love-Jesus face again!!

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

My "wtf weirdo" moment of the episode was reserved for Julia. Who on earth starts monitoring their FSH levels before discussing with their boyfriend whether or not they should have a baby? Their short term boyfriend, no less.

teeveegeek

teeveegeek

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:09 AM

Canada: Yes, I thought that too and I'm hoping Kepner's fake out is, "... I cannot believe that after the train wreck of an interview I gave, I passed! I now have to skip away to one of my four job offers far, far away from Seattle! See y'all!" *fingers crossed*

TooMuchTV1

TooMuchTV1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

I think Avery is the hottest thing in my world, ever. And I thought the hook up in the bathroom was amazing because.. yeah.. honey, Jesus loves you. YOU GOT TO TAP THAT. I thought I was gonna pass out from the hotness of him, in a suit, looking at her like that.. *fans herself*

I couldn't agree more. There was one especially amazing sexy, hot look he gave her...I had to rewind that a few times!!

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

I've only been watching "Grey's" sporadically this season, but after watching this episode, I have a question: Did Callie switch from ortho? I was really confused when she was operating on Arizona's friend with the heart tumor. I've seen a few episodes this season, but I don't remember anything that might explain why Callie was performing a non-ortho surgery.
Otherwise, I really enjoyed this episode. It was great to see Cristina trying to out-arrogant the surgeon testing her for the boards. And Alex, who has evolved into my favorite character, was all kinds of awesome in his blowup at his examiners.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Did Callie switch from ortho? I was really confused when she was operating on Arizona's friend with the heart tumor.

He didn't have a heart tumor to start with. He had bone cancer and that's all they thought or hoped it was. They had to open him up to see if surgery was an option since he hadn't been to a traditional hospital in six years since he was diagnosed.

Callie opened him up but then saw signs that the cancer had spread all over his body so she called for films then paged Teddy to see if she could take care of the tumor on his heart to delay his inevitable death.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

Thanks lovlylizzy. That makes much more sense. Grey's has a tendency to change things around in inexplicable ways, so I'm relieved that I just misunderstood!