8-22: "Let the Bad Times Roll" 2012.05.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

115 replies to this topic

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

The residents agonize over their oral boards, reliving every answer they gave during their exams; Arizona’s close childhood friend comes to Seattle Grace for medical help; the doctors work on a patient who is missing one third of his skull; and Julia asks Mark to start a family with her. Meanwhile Catherine tells Richard that one of his residents has failed.

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

So glad it was Kepner. She bugs. Was she really shocked that she failed? She was NUTS. Who tells their examiners that they just had sex in the bathroom and now isn't sure if Jesus loves her any more? She's lucky they didn't have her committed....

Now if I can just keep my favorites alive, sigh....

Jaenelle

Jaenelle

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

I for one am glad April failed. Now maybe we can get rid of her useless ass. I mean really, they say up front that part of the test is to keep your cool and she acts like a freaking spaz. And I don't even want to get started with the whole Jesus thing. Hey, Bailey isn't hiding her faith and nobody makes fun of her, just saying.

But... FEENY!

Heehee, I was so trying not to go all crazy Eric during those sceens.

Edited by Jaenelle, May 3, 2012 @ 9:34 PM.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

April deserved to fail. At least the outcome was realistic in terms of her failing. I wouldn't trust her to be my surgeon. It's a good thing she didn't have premarital sex before surgery. Someone would have died on the table while she unleashed her verbal diarrhea.

Edited by DS1, May 3, 2012 @ 9:23 PM.

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

So much time wasted in this episode watching April scream and stutter her way through the boards. Oh, and watching Lexie stutter her way telling Mark she loves him. Honestly, would you let either of these women operate on you?

I could have done without the Jackson/April Hookup Part Deux, which took time away from everything else I cared about. Loved Karev being Karev, and the fact that he ended up passing. Cristina's face when she thought she might have blown it at the end was fantastic. Meredith puked a little too much for me, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because I love her.

Derek and Meredith's phone call gave me a chill, because it reminded me of their "bomb" episode scene. I loved the fact that he put the ball in her court, knowing she'd make the right decision, but hated the fact that we're seeing similar scenes as throwbacks to previous ones, and that makes me nervous. "What does this mean?" All MerDer fans recognize that line :)

The "let's have a baby!" thing is ridiculous. This was just done on Parenthood, and I want to know when the "next logical step" in a relationship is to have a baby?

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

So so so happy that MAC passed.
April was extra-annoying tonight, coupled with too much screentime wasted on her and Jackson and their hang-ups over hooking up; I just don't care that she failed.

Arizona's friend is an idiot.

But... Mr. FEENY!

Edited by NYluv, May 3, 2012 @ 9:33 PM.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

Drag it out for an hour to give us the most predictable outcome possible. Thanks, show!

She deserved it though. She was terrible. Cristina was insufferable as always.

I just don't care about Callie and Arizona or any of their plotlines. And from a huge M&L shipper, at this point, I don't even care.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

I have a feeling that large bits of dialogue were cut from the Callie/Arizona/Nick scenes, otherwise Callie comes across as the world's worst wife.

Lexie at the end with Mark was actually very Lexie-like. It was very believable to me. Sad, embarrassing, but believable. She might want to watch that crazy verbal diarrhea though - she's got her boards next year...

... And talking of the boards, was *anyone* surprised after the first 2 minutes by who failed?

But... FEENY

I thought he said, "Phoenix". Every time he spoke to her he called her a different city.

Edited by Erratic, May 3, 2012 @ 9:30 PM.

beadgirl

beadgirl

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

So, Christina's "The first one was so easy!" and Meredith's look cracked me up, because the first day of the N.Y. bar exam I had the privilege of sitting next to a guy who went on and on about how easy the the test was. (I got my revenge by finishing the exam early on the second day, while he was sweating and looking miserable.)

I would have been pissed if Meredith, Alex, or Christina failed, so good job, show!

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

I would rather see Richard and Debbie Allen have sex a million than times than see Jackson/April hooking up again. It's not helped by the fact that their actors suck ass. Cristina and Dr Craig from St Elsewhere was kind of awesome though. Dr Craig was just like Cristina.

No Zola this ep. Boo.

Silent Eve

Silent Eve

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

April deserved to fail. At least the outcome was realistic in terms of her failing. I wouldn't trust her to be my surgeon.

Right? If it were me, I would have told her to leave the exam room after the first session! She's nuts.

And I'm calling it right now,
Spoiler

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

I thought he said, "Phoenix". Every time he spoke to her he called her a different city.

"Feeny" as in Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World = Cristina's proctor.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I was 100% distracted by Mr. Feeny and particularly that he was a complete douche canoe. Not even going to like I yelled Fee-hee-hee-heeny every time he came on screen...

I felt it was really boring overall. The yelling was the only part I paid attention to. Jackson yelling at April. Cristina yelling at Feeny. Alex yelling at his proctors. Arizona yelling at Nick.

Jackson and April in the bathroom narrating fanfic made me leave the room. For a second I thought I caught Meredith's illness via television.

mage-girl

mage-girl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Aah! Can anyone give me a recap of the preview for next week? It's not up on abc.com yet. My channel had a weather alert. :-(

Thanks in advance if you can help!

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

It's in the promo thread.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

I'm not sure who gave me more secondhand embarrassment this episode: April or Lexie? I literally yelled at my screen at both of them to "Shut up, shut up, SHUT UPPPPPP!" Those scenes went on for far too long.

Considering the future of the originals (and favorites) are up in the air, I'm not sure why there's been such a heavy focus on April and Jackson in these last few episodes. Surely Shonda realizes that no one cares about those fools in the grand scheme of things? I would've gladly sacrificed their scenes for a scene with a guilt-ridden Mer reuniting and celebrating with her daughter and husband.

Love me some Feeny. I was going to say that he wasn't aging very well, and then I discovered that he's 85. MR. FEENY IS 85? Daaaaamn.

Hope Springs

Hope Springs

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Arizona's friend was an idiot, but I liked that a popular show did a storyline speaking out against the horrible scam that is "alternative medicine." It kills.

I guessed right! Sarah Drew was hilarious in the sweating/stripping scene, but this episode really highlighted how ridiculous the writing on this show is. The fact that she busted out into that soliloquy in the middle of the most important exam of her life just because the exposition was so sorely needed is one of the silliest things I have ever seen in prime time. And she still didn't explain how she lived with her co-workers and no one knew she went to church.

I'm happy that MAC passed, too, but Karev's outburst was almost as ridiculous as April's soliloquy. It's totally unrealistic that he'd pass under those conditions, but whatever, Grey's. Glad they picked April to be the one who failed. I guess she repeats fifth year now, and re-takes the exam next June?

Meredith puked a little too much for me, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because I love her.

Yep. She was puking long past the point where she should have been dry heaving.

The "let's have a baby!" thing is ridiculous.

Totally. Who does that so early in a relationship, let alone when your partner already has an infant? She cannot be expecting him to have another baby so close in age to the one he already has, yet she's talking about her hormone levels like she wants to get pregnant this cycle. Run, Sloan.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Lol @ Arizona's friend calling her different cities in Arizona. I'm sure that get tiring if everyone did it, but it would be cute if it was just that one special person in your life.

Why do the writers/directors/whoever insist on not having Callie FOLLOW Arizona whenever she's upset. That crap has been happening since they first got together. They always show Arizona comforting Callie during crisis after crisis but rarely the other way around.

Avery and April have officially hit GROSS territory. BOTH OF THEM! Sex in a public bathroom is disgusting regardless of who it is. But add to the fact that April had been freaking out about her Jesus promise for the last 5 hours or however long, Avery is a damn fool to have sex with her again. Am I really supposed to root for these two?

Now I know April was never a fan favorite, but what Shonda has done to this character is just criminal. I thought the character assassination on Callie last season was bad. But the randomness of April's actions just gave me a headache. She's always been a bit scattered, but NEVER did I think she was capable of what I saw her do in that exam room. Awkward does not even begin to describe what that was.

Cristina being all nasty to Mr. Feeny was strangely kind of a turn on for me. She looked hot sitting there with her arms folded looking pissed off. Cristina's hubris has almost cost her several times. Glad this wasn't one of them.

Boy you can really tell how much faith Shonda has in ED's acting. He's ALWAYS stuck standing around as his scene partner does all the work. Watching Lexie blabber on and on about how much she loves Mark without so much as a sound from him was painful to watch. I really wish Mark would settle down with Julia (its been so long I wasn't even sure if that was the same girl) and have another baby. Nothing has really changed between Mark and Lexie. She's still young and building her career and I assume still not ready for motherhood (which is all ok)....and Mark is still ready to settle down and have more kids. I haven't seen either of them say they would want compromise.

Ummm has April's hair always been that color? It was a deep red last episode if I remember correctly. It was the same color as Lexie's. They are pretty much the same character, but I prefer Lexie if I had to choose one.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, May 3, 2012 @ 10:01 PM.

BBG

BBG

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

"Feeny" as in Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World

See, I automatically thought of St. Elsewhere and Knight Rider, but then again I'm old...

Hucks

Hucks

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Can April just go to Jesus already? Please?

ladymagdelene

ladymagdelene

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

That wasn't Mr. Feeny - it was Dr. Mark Craig. And John Adams. :)

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

Why do the writers/directors/whoever insist on not having Callie FOLLOW Arizona whenever she's upset. That crap has been happening since they first got together. They always show Arizona comforting Callie during crisis after crisis but rarely the other way around.

this has been bugging me too, however, having mulled on this for a while I have a theory: many people will storm out of a room wanting to make a dramatic statement and to be followed to increase that drama. In Arizona's case, maybe she just needs to be alone to deal with her shit before she can vocalize her issues. Thinking back to 'Invest in Love', when she pages Callie to come and tell her she's great, she gets straight to business and kind of shrugs off any further probing. And after she leaves the disastrous party, she simply tells Callie that she can't stay, before leaving. Maybe it's an established thing with them? It would be nice to know either way.

Somerset

Somerset

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

I wish William Daniels could have been a bit more Dr. Mark Craig arrogant than "get off my lawn!" old crank, but the clash of TV surgical titans was still my favorite part of the episode.

And I thought it was really sweet how much Cristina seemed to care about Alex's results.

Jaynut

Jaynut

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

See, I automatically thought of St. Elsewhere and Knight Rider, but then again I'm old...

Me, too, except I forgot about Knight Rider.

I just loved the irony of Dr. Craig the arrogant cardio god of St. Elsewhere being Cristina's examiner. I thought she was rude to him and I loved his put-down of her.

Edited by Jaynut, May 3, 2012 @ 11:08 PM.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Jesus hates me my foot! J/K but April is one naughty little girl but I liked her a lot more this episode than last. But again I feel compelled to ask what is with these doctors and not using protection?

I like Lexie so I was happy she got more screen time this episode but I need that story to move faster they've been stuck in the ILY but can't say it loop for far too long.

Arizona's friend is a complete idiot and I feel bad for Callie because she is likely going to try to fix it and have it blow up in her face. Oh also feel bad for Arizona, I cheered when she chewed the friend out and corrected him on her name, total HBIC moment.

ETA: Mr. Feeny! This episode wins just for that.

Happy Alex passed, that's all I have for now.

Edited by lovlylizzy, May 3, 2012 @ 11:13 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

his has been bugging me too, however, having mulled on this for a while I have a theory: many people will storm out of a room wanting to make a dramatic statement and to be followed to increase that drama. In Arizona's case, maybe she just needs to be alone to deal with her shit before she can vocalize her issues. Thinking back to 'Invest in Love', when she pages Callie to come and tell her she's great, she gets straight to business and kind of shrugs off any further probing. And after she leaves the disastrous party, she simply tells Callie that she can't stay, before leaving. Maybe it's an established thing with them? It would be nice to know either way.

But see, I don't even have to see an actual scene. I would just like to see Callie follow Arizona instead of just standing there with that "uhhh what should I be doing right now" look on her face? There were 2 scenes that ended like that tonight.....when they could have easily just ended with Callie going after Arizona....no real need to follow up with an extra scene with them talking.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

Bless the guy who invented DVR and the mute button because for the love of all that is holy, April Kepner you are the most annoying human being of the world. Really. Seriously, she deserved to fail.

Glad MAC passed. That's all I care.

PD was looking all sorts of fine but why, why does Derek has to be the mediator of Slexie? I wonder if Lexie will also fail her boards for her very April behavior on that. But Mark/Derek banter, all good.

Didn't pay much attention to Calzona but the guy playing Arizona's friend is kinda hot.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

Even though Jackson isn't part of the original fab five, the episode would have been a lot better if they had ended with the hopping and the smiles instead of April's mug.

Worse than April's mug? Lexie and her "I love you." I couldn't stand it, so I went to the laundry room, emptied the dryer, tripped over my husband's shoes, came back down to the den, and still had time to hear the last I love you. Pathetic. Who writes this stuff?

Jaynut

Jaynut

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

All things considered, I was glad that April failed. She really deserved it. Who would want a nutcase like that as a surgeon, particularly as a trauma surgeon?

JamieNT

JamieNT

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

I was so scared that once again Cristina would be punished for being confident, that I actually cheered when she passed. Thank God April failed. Finally this show has a realistic consequences for acting bat shit crazy in a professional setting. I guess even in this universe the only play you can get away with that shit is Seattle Grace.