11-34: "Top 5 Results" 2012.05.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

151 replies to this topic

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

While understanding that this is Television without pity, I don't understand why people who happen to like Phillip can't just be regular, Idol viewing people as I'm assuming you are. I'm not any of those things (tween, desperate or granny) and he's been my favorite since his audition.

I am glad you are the exception and not the rule; however, truth be told, Pee Pee's votes are coming from tweens, women, and senior citizens.

That being said, I knew once I saw Pee Pee that first day of auditions, I told someone that he's going to be on the show for a long, long time. YMMV, but Dave Matthews is not one of my favorite performers, and when I see Pee Pee perform, that is who I see.

I'm glad Pee Pee has fans, and he will win. I, for one, am not a fan.

Petunia

Petunia

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I told Mr. Petunia on Tuesday night that Jessica would come across better if she didn't dress like a 35-year-old call girl, so when Jimmy said basically the same thing, I was thrilled. She's pretty adorable when she looks/dresses her age, but I haven't been able to warm to her this season.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

Having no connection to the lyrics is the legacy of American Idol, because this show has always pushed the idea that singing is like an Olympic sport, where it's about how high a note you can hit or how long you can hold it, instead of about communicating the meaning of a song. And unfortunately, most of the people now competing on AI grew up watching it, and it's how they learned to sing. Fortunately, in the "real world" there are still some kids whose parents are playing them Ella Fitzgerald or Ray Charles records.

I was amused by JLo's comment about the different perspective of people in show business. To paraphrase, "We in show business totally get why a nice 16 year old girl would dress up like a Hollywood Boulevard hooker." Not a suprising attitude coming from a lady with minimal talent who made her fortune by shaking her assets.

Bad advice to PP to sing "Time of the Season," a reminder of the day when rock songs had more than a 4 note range. But nothing he sings (or doesn't sing) will keep Lee DeWyze 2.0 from winning.

Edited by Northwester, May 4, 2012 @ 6:38 PM.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

"Sings AND plays a musical instrument" transforms the essential nature of American Idol, which has NEVER been about finding a performer meeting the above criteria.
Carrie Underwood played no musical instrument on Wednesday.
Many of the covered singers---Temptations, Leona, Tina, Righteous Brothers, Dusty---played no musical instruments on the songs covered.

Kelly, Ruben, Fantasia, Jordin---all winners, no musical instruments.

Edited by LennieB, May 4, 2012 @ 7:12 PM.

Chancellor

Chancellor

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

I'm amazed that the consensus is that Pee Pee (hideous little nickname for Phillip by the way) wins the competiton no matter what. People make the WGWG acronym sound like some entitled badge of honor. I think it is and always has been ridiculous, and will be rendered useless in this current arena. And the silly teen girl vote will likely be scrutinized heavily this time as well. Again, he represents a sense of serious repetitiveness, and not in a good way I might add. TPTB would be foolish to want to promote his type once again so soon.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

How come Jessica didn't get off the couch to hug Skylar like the others

Wrong performer and time during the show. She stayed on her seat separate from all when the others hugged Phillip when he went back to the couches and Hollie or Skylar, I forgot which one, went to the stools.

sunnydaze

sunnydaze

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

however, truth be told, Pee Pee's votes are coming from tweens, women, and senior citizens.

Nesdag I hope you don't take the following question as snark, as I am genuinely curious:

How do you know who is voting for Philx2? Are you an "insider"?

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Nesdag I hope you don't take the following question as snark, as I am genuinely curious:

How do you know who is voting for Philx2? Are you an "insider"?

I work with a couple of women who are AI fans: one is a mother of a tween girl, the other is a grandmother. Both women are fans of Pee Pee as well as their female relations. I overheard them gushing over him at lunch time, but I kept my mouth shut.

I know it is a small sample size, but they fit the AI demographics.

colourmyworld

colourmyworld

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

I was amused by JLo's comment about the different perspective of people in show business. To paraphrase, "We in show business totally get why a nice 16 year old girl would dress up like a Hollywood Boulevard hooker." Not a suprising attitude coming from a lady with minimal talent who made her fortune by shaking her assets.

Northwester Oh my god, THANK YOU for this. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who doesn't get JLo's appeal. The fact that she judges singers just continues to astonish me.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

I am glad you are the exception and not the rule; however, truth be told, Pee Pee's votes are coming from tweens, women, and senior citizens.

And isn't that who ALL of the contestant's votes are coming from?

WanderingSnark

WanderingSnark

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

I get the impression she has focused so much on singing perfectly that she has very little interaction with kids her own age or anyone else for that matter.

Especially since she catalogs her every daily act on YouTube... doesn't leave a lot of time for interactions.

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

And Bob Dylan was not a good singer and he did well for himself.

First Joe Cocker and now Bob Dylan? Wow.

Actually, Bob Dylan IS a good singer because he's able to express emotion and tell a story with a voice. PeePee can't do either. In fact, it's becoming more and more obvious that PeePee can't do much of anything with his voice. Even in the WGWG genre that PeePee has become a poster child for, he's weak, weak, weak. His performance of a Dave Matthews song (the musician he's obviously studied the most) was a pale imitation of the original. Phil's refusal to give up the guitar appears to be less about 'artistry' and more about the fact that if he doesn't have his guitar, he's lost because the musicians he's mimicking ALL have guitars. PeePee is every bit the robot Jessica is accused of being with Dave Matthews replacing Beyonce for him.

Issybee

Issybee

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:25 AM

And isn't that who ALL of the contestant's votes are coming from?

Amen!

DonnaJ

DonnaJ

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

Cannot understand how anyone can compare Phil2 to Lee DeWyze? IMO, Lee wasn't good looking at all. Also very different voices. I can't remember who else was in the running for the win besides Lee, but maybe he was the lesser evil?

I am not a grandma or tween (I am a woman) and I hated Lee but like Phillip. It has much to do with his past performances, his bromance with Heejun, his interactions with Cowboy......but I have always been pulling for him. I hope he feels better next week, and shows people what he can do.

As far as pure vocals go, I think Hollie has the best voice. I have been splitting my votes between the two of them.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

And Bob Dylan was not a good singer and he did well for himself.

Bob Dylan had already written 'Blowin in the Wind' by the time he was as old as PP.
Why is PP being presented as 'artistic', creative, blah blah? Even Lee DeWyze had a catalog of self-penned songs, and had managed to scrape together a couple of albums. I have seen exactly zero to indicate that Phil is some genius bursting with songs and ideas. By this point in S7/8/9, these boards were filled with links to Cook/Allen/DeWyze pre-Idol recordings, albums, performances of original material.
This is his entire wiki entry for the pre-Idol time period:

Phillips grew up in Leesburg, Georgia, and attended Lee County High School. He graduated Albany Technical College with a major in Industrial Systems Technology, but missed the graduation ceremony due to his obligations to American Idol.

Was he in a high school band, did he sing in the chorus, was he in school musicals, did he enter talent shows? What was he doing to develop himself, aside from sitting on a stool in a diner in Leesburg, playing with his brother in law?

Cannot understand how anyone can compare Phil2 to Lee DeWyze? IMO, Lee wasn't good looking at all.

This is the crux of the situation, and the reason he's still here, IMO. Phil's the cutest.
Also, I would so watch a Steve Van Zandt and Jimmy Iovine show; can you imagine the stories they have to tell?

Edited by the macguffin, May 5, 2012 @ 7:17 AM.

gaPeach

gaPeach

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

Northwester Oh my god, THANK YOU for this. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who doesn't get JLo's appeal. The fact that she judges singers just continues to astonish me.

You can add me to the list. I have no idea why JLo is a judge. I can understand Steven and Randy but not her. And it seems as though she favors the boys more than the girls. Except for Jessica of course.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

I'm sorry to see Skylar gone. Her twang bothered me a bit, and I don't like the happy, smiley look for every song when the lyrics don't call for happy, but I loved her energy and comfort level on stage. She looked like she was born to be up there. In my perfect world, it would have been a Skylar/Hollie/Jessica for the final three and a Skylar/Hollie finale. If only we could combine Skylar's stage presence with Hollie's voice and sprinkle in a bit of connecting with the lyrics (which will come in time) then we'd have, imo, a perfect winner. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of Skylar, though.

Is it just me or did Jennifer look pissed that Skylar was out instead of Hollie? The woman just did not look pleased every time the camera caught her after the results were read.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

It was written and sung by CCR over 40 years ago. But if you listen to the words, I think the song has resonance today as well. All about flag waving as long as someone else is doing the fighting. It's not like we haven't fought any wars since Vietnam or that we aren't fighting one right now in Afghanistan.

There's one very big difference: I doubt very seriously that Skylar or many people her age have been exposed to the idea that this might be the wrong way to go about things. While in the '60s and '70s, there were some large, well-known counter-cultural political movements that pointed these things out, that is not really the case now. Instead, she was raised in the times of "you're with us or against us" and "support our troops" and "terrorists". Unless someone is raised in a household where the parents actively teach them otherwise, it's highly likely that a kid her age has adopted the attitudes that have been pushed since the days of Reagan. Asking a kid like that to relate to those lyrics is like asking a person born blind to describe the color pink.

Edited by BDArizona, May 5, 2012 @ 1:05 PM.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

I also don't buy the "Phil Philips is an artist" mantra. Changing a song up doesn't make you an artist if what you do with it is crap. Joe Cocker did a great bluesy, soulful version of "The Letter," but PP is no Joe Cocker, no matter how many faces he makes. I think PP has figured out by now that since he can't really sing, he has to do something to the song so that he at least gets credit for being "creative." Instead of just doing an exact cover that's inferior to the original.

Singers like Dave Matthews bore me to tears. So saying that PP is a weak imitation Dave Matthews obviously puts him at the bottom of the list of people I'd want to listen to.

What is it with the faces anyway? It's not just when he sings. Every time the camera cuts to him he has to make some ridiculous, goofy face. It's like he has the maturity level of an 11 year old.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

People make the WGWG acronym sound like some entitled badge of honor.

Actually my take is that it is said with derision by many.

I can't remember who else was in the running for the win besides Lee, but maybe he was the lesser evil?

That would be single mother, and hippy chick with bad teeth, Crystal Bowersox who happens to have a gorgeous voice, check this out http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pSxwt0Aht_4 (boy I miss classic music nights on AI, frequently real artistry came-out on these performances.) At any rate, although Bowersox came in second, who knows perhaps there was some bias against her "alternative" lifestyle, it was indeed, dumpy, off-Key Lee that inexplicably beat her. I can truly say that Bowersox losing to Lee, and Reuben winning over Clay are the most egregious outcomes for top 2 in AI history (I'm not counting the early booting of other extremely talented contestants, just the final 2.) If Pee Pee wins he gets added to my list.

What is it with the faces anyway? It's not just when he sings. Every time the camera cuts to him he has to make some ridiculous, goofy face

Maybe Pee Pee has to go poo poo?

Edited by spaghettijimmy, May 5, 2012 @ 4:46 PM.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

Uhh, yeah..."WGWG" tends to be used as a pejorative... And the fact is, WGWG has won AI the past several seasons. Cute white guy who plays the guitar? Then you have a serious shot at winning AI. Who knew what David Cook had wrought (& I actually didn't dislike him at all), LOL.

tpplay

tpplay

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

I can truly say that Bowersox losing to Lee, and Reuben winning over Clay are the most egregious outcomes for top 2 in AI history

Except Adam Lambert losing to Kris what's his name. (Kidding. I know his name.)

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

Except Adam Lambert losing to Kris what's his name. (Kidding. I know his name.)

LOL, since Allen is the only Idol I've, so far, gone out of my way to vote multiple times for, clearly not in my opinion.

Sarraghina

Sarraghina

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Hey, did you know that Joshua learned that song in 15 minutes??? Of course, they don't talk about the days after the mentoring session where he practiced it some more.

They spoke only of the mentoring session. Is there some reason they should have further spoken of the obvious?

During the results show, when they spoke of his actual performance, they still referred to the 15 minutes. It was not only in the context of the mentoring session singing.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

That being said, I knew once I saw Pee Pee that first day of auditions, I told someone that he's going to be on the show for a long, long time. YMMV, but Dave Matthews is not one of my favorite performers, and when I see Pee Pee perform, that is who I see.

P2 is straight from WGWG central casting, so yeah, his type will always be hard to get rid of on AI. That said, I think the market is flooded with his kind and the power-voting teen girls tend to move on quickly once the season is over. Personally, I don't see a long career trajectory for him post-IDOL.

Bob Dylan was not a good singer and he did well for himself.

Becoming a star isn't always about pure vocal ability. Many times it's about making an emotional connection with your audience. I'm not a Dylan fan per se, but he is a gifted songwriter whose lyrics touched people on the inside and gave voice to a generation at a critical time when the country was undergoing radical social changes.

Edited by getawayjordan, May 6, 2012 @ 1:42 PM.

AquaWings

AquaWings

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Chiming in a little late to add my disappointment about Skylar leaving. I didn't even realize that she was my favorite until I looked at the remaining contestants and realized I didn't give two craps about any of them. Skylar's performances always added a little bit of spice to the evening. I did think she overdosed some of the nasally twang, but overall I always enjoyed her performances.

I've never quite understood the Josh-is-the-second-coming sentiment among the judges, or how Jessica's performances, which just sound like an adequate aping of Beyonce, are somehow transcendent. Hollie is sweet, but comes off like a more boring version of Celine Dion. And Phil drives me crazy with his constipated growl and bulging forehead vein - I have been hoping since the beginning that he wasn't the eventual winner, but alas.

I am apparently in the minority here, but I thought that Carrie's performance was AMAZING. The lower parts were the only thing I would criticize.

Timber13

Timber13

Just Tuned In

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

I don’t have a favorite this year, thought it might have been Jessica after her Whitney song but it has been same old, same old since then.

I like Josh but, for Randy to declare him the best “ever” after he sang To Love a Woman, and JLo to declare him the best she has heard in 50 years (how old is she?), I couldn’t help but wonder if they every heard Clay Aiken’s version on AI in Season 2. For those of you who hadn’t seen Clay’s version, it can be found at: http://www.youtube.c...?v=GjkAoiawTaE. After listening to Clay, Josh doesn’t even come close.

You’ll notice that Clay hits all the high notes with none of the screeching that Josh tends to do in every song.

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

After listening to Clay, Josh doesn’t even come close

I think it is a YMMV thing. I prefer the rawness, gut wrenching of Josh to the pageant feeling of Clays version.

Edited by SpringTulips, May 7, 2012 @ 2:05 AM.

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

After listening to Clay, Josh doesn’t even come close.

Josh is light years ahead.

kitkatt

kitkatt

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

There's one very big difference: I doubt very seriously that Skylar or many people her age have been exposed to the idea that this might be the wrong way to go about things. While in the '60s and '70s, there were some large, well-known counter-cultural political movements that pointed these things out, that is not really the case now. Instead, she was raised in the times of "you're with us or against us" and "support our troops" and "terrorists". Unless someone is raised in a household where the parents actively teach them otherwise, it's highly likely that a kid her age has adopted the attitudes that have been pushed since the days of Reagan. Asking a kid like that to relate to those lyrics is like asking a person born blind to describe the color pink.

I happen to work with kids who are Skylar's age, and although they may support troops, they are not all cheering on war and they happen to not be for attitude that all in America is wonderful, and most really do get the fact that rich kids or privledged kids do not deal with what they deal with. It may be that Sylar is a Red States girl, she's not a baby, I am sure she could have read the lyrics and knew what she was singing about, but chose not to sign it that way.

Skylar seems like a nice girl, but I really can't handle the redneck factor.