11-34: "Top 5 Results" 2012.05.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

151 replies to this topic

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Skylar merited the launching based on last night. Ameriker had a tough choice if P2's following can't be messed with.

I am gobsmacked that Carrie is putting out that screech as the single and the tour name. Horrid. Absolutely horrid.

Good on Jimmy for taking ownership of Jessica's turrible song choice and even better on him for calling out 19's stylists. His finest moment, imo.

The confetti falling on Ryan, Hollie, and Skylar after Coldplay's recorded song was perhaps the alltime Twilight Zone moment for me on AI. It was beyond hutzpah. For sheer audacity, I have to salute the evil minions who decided to pull that stunt. JLo's live intro of the taped segment was rather ballsy, as well.

Edited by trojan69, May 3, 2012 @ 8:09 PM.

aps817

aps817

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

It's never been more clear who was supposed to go. America is so disappointing.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

It's clearly no contest at this point. They should just cancel the finale and declare the winner at the beginning of the show next week.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Not any more than PP, she didn't. At least she can hit more than 4 notes.

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Philip doesn't even hit the Bottom 2 after his embarrassing performances last night? Screw you, America. I hope his coronation song has LOTS of high notes!

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Suicide watch for Michael Slezak begins now.

Sad to see Skylar go, however, but I agree if it wasn't going to be Phil that Skylar came up short. Actually, I would've been fine with any bottom 2 that wasn't the one we ended up with.

BarbaryLane

BarbaryLane

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Skylar deserved bottom 2, but should have been joined by P2 (who should have gone home instead). I expect Skylar will do ok in the Country market.

Edited by BarbaryLane, May 3, 2012 @ 8:11 PM.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Carrie's song was lousy. Coldplay is....whatever.

And Phillip "This Song Ain't Got No Melody" Phillips lives to gargle another day.

Edited by LennieB, May 3, 2012 @ 8:10 PM.

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Welp. I was loving this season. Cockroach PeePee's winning this thing and there ain't nothing that can be done to stop it. But why should we expect anything else from WGWG Idol?

Seriously, if Hollie goes next week (which she obviously will) we'll be left with what has to be the most boring top 3 ever (Retro soul singer, teenage pageant bot and WGWG? Zzzzzzzzzzz. They'll sell a combined total of five albums). This season started out so awesome, it's a shame. Yeah, Skylar wasn't amazing last night but at least she outsung PhilSquared by a mile (or two.)

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

I honestly think that "Fortunate Son" sunk Skylar, why oh why did she let Jimmy suggest that song for her. Meanwhile, the "Teflon Don" remains, and I don't give a shit about how sick P2 is, for those performances from last night he deserved the boot. Not since Lee inexplicably won has there been a less deserving contestant than Pee Pee, yes he is cute, and is probably talented, but enough to beat out the others? Not in my mind, personally, I think that Joshua, despite the tendency to oversing, should win.

On an unrelated note, damn Coldplay sucks.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Whelp, if P2 isn't in the bottom after last night's offensive showing, then there's no stopping the train. He's gonna win this no matter what. Terrible America, terrible.

OrganBuilder

OrganBuilder

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Skylar needs to be in Nashville, not California. She wasn't the one who most deserved to go, but she's gotten everything from AI that AI can give her.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Can I also make a point that not all the WGWG are challenged in the talent department--loved Cooke and Allen, and was pulling for Casey James during season 9, but P2 just seems so much weaker than those guys--and if he is the one rearranging his songs ala "The Letter" he needs to stop now, Sir you are no David Cooke or Kris Allen.

Edited by LivenLetLive, May 3, 2012 @ 8:17 PM.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

I'm really happy Hollie survived, but I'm bummed about Skylar. I would have preferred Phillip or at least Jessica.

Honestly, if Phil wasn't the lowest vote getter, I'm almost glad he wasn't even in the bottom 2. If he had been in the bottom 2 but survived, I think the chances of him leaving would have plummeted even lower, since his voters would be even more motivated. At least this way I can hold out slim hope for complacency next week.

Can I also make a point that not all the WGWG challenged in the talent department--loved Cooke and Allen, and was pulling for Casey James during season 9, but P2 just seems so much weaker than those guys--and if he is the one rearranging his song ala "The Letter" he needs to stop now, Sir you are no David Cooke or Kris Allen.

This. David Cook and Kris Allen were two of my favorite AI contestants ever. They managed to do rearrangements that worked, and were varied, changing it up enough to keep things interesting. I've liked a few of P2's performances, but there's no variation there. He could never pull off a "Little Sparrow," for example.

Edited by redpencil, May 3, 2012 @ 8:19 PM.

HeadlessOne

HeadlessOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Seriously, if Hollie goes next week (which she obviously will) we'll be left with what has to be the most boring top 3 ever (Retro soul singer, teenage pageant bot and WGWG? Zzzzzzzzzzz. They'll sell a combined total of five albums).

I don't know how you so expertly invaded my thoughts like that, but, indeed, this season is rapidly moving beyond the point of no return -- into snoozeville. It's not all bad news though. If Hollie goes, then I'll at least have some motivation to finally clean up my DVR presets.

How did WGWG gain the popularity that it did? Even David Cook's skills as a player were average at best. I don't know why America goes crazy over white guys who can strum a few (mostly open, mostly barred) chords. At least that guy that Kara Dioguardi used to slober over had some real prowess to somewhat justify the mode.

Yeah, my first thought on hearing that they would be performing was, "They must be falling on hard times." Coldplay used to be lightyears beyond Idol. Now, given what I heard tonight, they are about appropriate for one another.

Edited by HeadlessOne, May 3, 2012 @ 8:27 PM.

dizzyd

dizzyd

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

I guess I have to redirect all my Skylar votes to Hollie now. I don't know why I get excited every year thinking we have a strong top 24, only to end up with a lame top 3 and an I couldn't care less winner.

Bubblz

Bubblz

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Shame to lose Skylar. I was so hoping it would be Jessica.

Edited by Bubblz, May 3, 2012 @ 8:38 PM.

JollyRoger

JollyRoger

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Just one person's opinion here, but...

So. Incredibly. Wrong. I am not, nor ever have been, a C&W devotee. But as a life-long musician (yes, trained), I CAN say that Skylar grabbed me from the very first show. The voice, the confidence, and the entertainment ability marked her as the early-season favorite (in my eyes alone, admittedly) to take the whole enchilada. However, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am totally out of touch with the whole current music "scene." I should have known that years ago when I was a shameless supporter of Melinda Doolittle from the very onset of season 6. I guess some old dogs just can't learn the new tricks. I suppose the only solace I can take will be when Skylar totally outsells every remaining person still on the stage. Funny how we can crown a champion every year -- supposedly based on some kind of future marketability factor -- yet so many of the very people we name can't even maintain a contract after their first recording effort. All I know is that I could palpably feel the huge sigh of relief of four other contestants once her name was called as not going further. I do know that if I were in their shoes, I'd be breathing just a little bit easier right now.

Edited by JollyRoger, May 3, 2012 @ 8:20 PM.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Sir you are no David Cooke or Kris Allen.

He's no Blake Lewis as well, who did a very good rendition of Time of the Season even with his limited vocal range.

6MonthMark

6MonthMark

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Hell yeah!

Carrie's song was lousy.

Double hell yeah!

Shout out to Skylar.
She was robbed!!!!

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

I honestly think that "Fortunate Son" sunk Skylar

Yep, Red State Mississippi wasn't happy with that choice.

Still, I'm sorry to see Pistol Packin' Mama Skylar go. She was fun, plus she really wanted the win, and I was more entertained by her than Lauren Alaina. Maybe she'll have the better career than LA.

Pee Pee Matthews? I just don't know anymore. I don't understand what the tweens, desperate housewives, and grannies see in him. He made Sanjaya look good last night, and he's still in the competition.

Enjoy Lee DeWyze sales, Pee Pee, because that is your future next to that Idol show in Branson, Missouri.

jamesonandwater

jamesonandwater

Channel Surfer

• Interests:I'm from Dublin, Ireland and live in Toronto, Canada.

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Oh lord, a thunderstorm hit Toronto with about ten minutes to go til the conclusion and my TV crapped out right before the result was announced. It did come back to see Skylar leaping around at the end though.

I honestly think that "Fortunate Son" sunk Skylar, why oh why did she let Jimmy suggest that song for her.

He hung her on the "didn't understand the lyrics" thing tonight, but why did he suggest it if it was clear she didn't/wouldn't get it.

I don't know if I'll be watching from here out, Skylar was mad entertaining/charismatic and I liked Elise best. Obviously P2 is going to win this thing and I hope for his sake he really does have a smidgen of the "artist" and "singer songwriter" people are describing him as.

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

God, I hate Coldplay.

I can picture TPTB sitting in puddles of cold sweat as they contemplate an AI finale featuring the song stylings of Hollie and PhilPhil. That should be a ratings bonanza! PhilPhil has this thing sewn up and not only is Iovine going to have to sell his CD, but he's also going to have to try and sell this guy to the rest of the world who don't think PhilPhil's all that cute and prefer their singers to be able to, you know, sing. Maybe PhilPhil's fans will do what the Claymates did and buy multiple copies at a time in order to drive up the numbers.

Never really paid that much attention to Skylar but Hollie should have gone before her.

Edited by roydenlea, May 3, 2012 @ 8:29 PM.

TheFinalRose

TheFinalRose

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

That was sad, I liked Skylar. Next year, Idol will announce that they are going "retro" and not allowing musical instruments anymore, thus eliminating the WGWG's stranglehold on this show. I wish Bebe Chez had gone home instead. I'm so sick of Hollie being in the bottom.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Phillip is MIA in the car video again? If he can't perform the other duties every other contestant has to do he should be DQd. Have him be sleeping beauty or something.

Carrie Underwood got the malfunctioning robot dance going again. What the hell? What season is this?

My Knollish thoughts are rampant tonight. It didn't help that JLO and Steven were encased in aluminum foil.

Laurie4H

Laurie4H

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

Was it me or did Carrie look oompa loompa orange?
Was this the first time that someone in green on Dialidol went home?

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Unpopular opinion here, but I like PhilPhil. It's Joshua I can't take, put on mute, and cross my fingers every week that he'll get off my teevee.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

God, I'm seeing a P2/Hollie finale as well (I don't buy that she was 2nd lowest vote-getter).. Zzzzzz... As boring as Jessica's personality is, I find Hollie's vocals equally so....very competent, but not at all exciting. Gonna be a vanilla final 2.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I tuned in just as Hollie was taking her seat in the bottom 2, and Phil walked back to his seat. Then I turned away in disgust, saw Coldplay and Carrie, and caught it again at the very end. When I saw Hollie and Skylar hugging I thought for sure Hollie was a goner. While Skylar should have stayed over P2, I am so glad that Hollie made it through another week. For all of us who think Phil's got this thing in bag, I hope we're dead wrong. Anyone left is more deserving of the win than him.

I like Carrie and I've been happy for her having a successful career, but I have to admit I've never really cared much for her singing. Plus, that song she sang (screeched) tonight was awful.

I love Coldplay though. *small voice*

stafford

stafford

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

I agree with many that Skyler will outsell all the AI contestants and is probably better served by not winning Idol. I absolutely hate CW music but I loved her (okay, I'll admit that I love Patsy Cline but that really doesn't count, does it?). I split my votes between Hollie and Skyler. I'm hoping that Skyler's votes go to Hollie (perhaps next week Hollie can add a little "twang" to a song) and for the love of god, girls please kick off your five inch heels!