13-21: "Father Dearest" 2012.05.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

27 replies to this topic

alexaxle

alexaxle

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

DR. HUANG (BD WONG) REUNITES WITH THE SVU SQUAD TO TRACK DOWN A TWISTED SEDUCER OF YOUNG WOMEN. JAMES VAN DER BEEK AND ERIC CLOSE GUEST STAR.

Detectives Benson (Mariska Hargitay) and Amaro (Danny Pino) investigate the disappearance of a teenaged girl after her young brother calls 9-1-1. While Fin (Ice-T) and Rollins (Kelli Giddish) look into a possible abduction, they discover the girl had been searching for her biological father, an anonymous sperm donor. The investigation takes a startling turn when a suspect is found to be targeting several young, vulnerable women, all with the same personal connection. But the suspect isn’t what he seems, and Dr. Huang (Wong) must delve into his past to save the women. Guest Starring Eric Close and James Van Der Beek. Also starring Richard Belzer (Sergeant John Munch.)

This episode was PERFECTION. The Huang fan in me just buzzed with delight the whole time. George is happy and his skills are being recognized and just... *Happy sigh* That hug with Olivia was a nice touch too. I wish Alex was in this episode so she could have talked to George too, since I always loved the friendship between them. (That was about the only reason I liked the episode Lead.)

And, of course, Amanda/Olivia. Move over Alex, there's a new A/O in town. You'd better fight if you want your woman.

I didn't even pay that much attention to the case, honestly. It felt like Warren Leight made this episode just for our fannish hearts. <3

Edited by alexaxle, May 2, 2012 @ 11:24 PM.

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

OK, who else cracked the fuck up when Doctor Dad suggested that they weren't very good at finding his missing daughter, and "Maybe you should call in the FBI!"

Wonder if it was ad-libbed?

chattycathyLA

chattycathyLA

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

I missed some of the dialogue between James Van Der Beek and the girl's mother when they were dancing at the police precinct. IS he really the biological father of her daughter?

alexaxle

alexaxle

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

TheWildSow: that had to be a shoutout to Without A Trace. It had to have been.

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 3, 2012 @ 10:39 AM.
Save the @ for Twitter, please

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:10 AM

alexaxle: Yep!

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 3, 2012 @ 10:39 AM.
Save the @ for Twitter, please

Bri059

Bri059

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

Never in my life did I think Mariska would play gay. Intentionally. If it had been Alex instead of Rollins, I might've fainted. But Rollins/Benson is good too.

Enjoyable episode! Wow James Van Der Beek showed some range last night in this and Apt 23:

stillbored

stillbored

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm curious as to whether or not James Van der Beeks character was actually the girls father or not. The did find it unbelievable that the doctors wife initially couldn't remember seeing her ex boyfriend a year ago at a party. Really? You couldn't remember seeing a man that you once dated, (and that your husband once got in trouble)talking to your daughter at a party. I would think most people would've remembered that (I also would've assumed that many men would put a stop to their daughter talking to a person that he had so much dislike for).

Benson and Rollins acting as a couple was funny. I really enjoyed that scene. I wonder if Cragen would've ever suggested them doing something like that. Munch seemed to have liked the idea.

I still don't understand why the original mom had used the sperm bank in the first place. If her husband was incapable of fathering children, wouldn't he have been suspicious twice.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

IS he really the biological father of her daughter?

No. I had my closed captions on, so it only said he "whispered indistinctly", which was Sean telling Anne that Taylor was dead.

When he said he wanted to walk his daughter down the aisle, Anne said it could still happen for him one day. He said no, he wanted it to be their daughter, not Colin, who would get to walk Taylor down the aisle.

That said, this episode was just gross beyond all levels. I don't even know if what Wong spouted about GSA even exists, but it was gross and disgusting. Especially the words and actions of the girls who thought that Sean was their biological father.

Eric Close is just not believable as a douche bag. He tried, but in the end, he couldn't pull it off.

So seeing Dawson's, er, I mean James Van Der Beek's name in the titles, I knew he'd be the rapist in this episode.

If her husband was incapable of fathering children, wouldn't he have been suspicious twice.

Not unless he didn't know he was sterile. It's possible he thought he just had a low sperm count.

Edited by Scorpiosrule, May 3, 2012 @ 8:09 AM.

Irregardles

Irregardles

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Move over Alex, there's a new A/O in town.

Yup. A new ship was launched from that sperm bank last night, and I am on board. Wouldn't that be a nice WTF curveball?

MsCaitlin

MsCaitlin

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Loved seeing Huang AND the Rollins/Benson couple pairing. I can't believe Mariska actually went for it.

That said...this ep left a bad taste in my mouth. That the girls wanted to sleep with them more BECAUSE they believed he was their father, and after discovering he wasn't, they were disappointed. I'm just not down with somebody being upset that they didn't commit incest. Very weird.

Also....slow dancing in the interrogation room? WTF?

HarleyJane

HarleyJane

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

I'm sorry but that was an excruciatingly stupid episode. So an ex-boyfriend of a Dr's wife from 20+ years ago hunts down and stalks, seduces Dr's sperm donor children for what? to seek revenge on children Dr isn't aware of ? And the squicky factor of these girls wanted to have sex with their Bio-dad was so gross. This case was as bad as the John Stamos episode minus the laughs and upping the disgusting factor 10 times.

What the hell was with the dance in interrogation? The parents would have never been near there let alone having the wife dancing with a suspect. I was hoping one of them had a scissors or an exploding knife.

B.S called on Sperm Donor place giving Liv and Rollins access to donor info on #141. That was total shoe-horn to have undercover Lesbians scene , which like everything else on this show this year feels like it's five years too late. I'll give Kudos to Rollins for trying to sell it but Liv was her was her usual lame-ass ,undercover -actress self and looked bored. I have absolutely no interest in seeing Olivia with anyone. That ship sailed away empty years ago.

MsCaitlin

MsCaitlin

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Forgot to mention my favorite thing about this episode:

The opening scene with the little kid calling 911 so nonchalantly. It was very "Yeah....mom won't wake up....she had a fight with my sister...my sister's totally gone....can i have a cookie?" He just didn't seem at all disturbed by any of it. Makes me wonder what the hell else goes on in that house.

Also..does anybody else remember the other bio-dad incest ep? The one with Schuyler Fisk? For some reason that didn't freak me out nearly enough. Maybe because she was an adult....who knows.

gumboot

gumboot

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

After a little run of decent episodes, this one was a dud. It got slow in the middle, and then WTF-level silly with the dancing in the interrogation room, especially as the English wife was such a tiresome character. And why make a big deal about Huang being back when he had about half a dozen lines, most of them stating the bleeding obvious?

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Also..does anybody else remember the other bio-dad incest ep? The one with Schuyler Fisk? For some reason that didn't freak me out nearly enough. Maybe because she was an adult....who knows.

And Zeljko Ivanek played her bio dad. He always plays creepers.

I don't even know if what Wong spouted about GSA even exists, but it was gross and disgusting.

It does. There have been cases of siblings who are raised apart and fall in love in adulthood. I've never heard of cases with parents and kids outside of the Schuyler Fisk SVU episode.

I didn't even understand this episode and find myself not caring.

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

Everyone involved in the conversation but Fin and Rollins faces especially, when Huang was explaing GSA = Priceless.

gumboot

gumboot

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

There have been cases of siblings who are raised apart and fall in love in adulthood. I've never heard of cases with parents and kids outside of the Schuyler Fisk SVU episode.

A famous case was the writer Anais Nin and her father, whom she met after being out of contact with him for many years.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

A famous case was the writer Anais Nin and her father, whom she met after being out of contact with him for many years.

Gawker just posted something about a mother who found her teen son on Facebook and started a sexual relationship with him.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

Oh my gosh was that episode convoluted. So we have a bunch of girls who are ready to have sex with their bio-dad, combined with Dawson seeking the most roundabout form of revenge I think I've ever seen (and I so hope they manage to work in a reference to this episode over on Apt 23) and Benson and Rollins as lesbians.

The only thing that really surprised me was Dawson not killing his ex-girlfriend. You figure if the cops were dumb enough to let them dance together, it really should blow up in their faces like it normally does, no?

The Wild Sow

The Wild Sow

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

I don't even know if what Wong spouted about GSA even exists, but it was gross and disgusting.

It does. There have been cases of siblings who are raised apart and fall in love in adulthood. I've never heard of cases with parents and kids outside of the Schuyler Fisk SVU episode.

It's sort of the reverse of the Westermarck Effect. In a nutshell, we tend to be attracted to people who resemble us. The Westermarck Effect keeps that in check for people who are closely related -- but when closely related people meet as adults (or older teens), without the reverse-imprinting of growing up together, they may experience overwhelming emotional "familiarity" with this person who reminds them of them. Since our brains don't have a "normal" context for that overwhelming emotion (because being raised apart and meeting later isn't exactly a "normal" experience) -- we may interpret this feeling as an intense sexual attraction. Because we do have a context for that!

What was weird about this case was that of course he wasn't related to the girls at all -- but the girls thought he was -- so they expected to see a resemblance and feel love for him. And since Westermarck even affects kids who are not related at all (the Kibbutzim, the Chinese families, etc.), why shouldn't the reverse be true?

IS he really the biological father of her daughter?

Extremely unlikey, as the Beek and the Mom never even danced together! *snork*

Edited by The Wild Sow, May 3, 2012 @ 9:06 PM.

Soulonfire

Soulonfire

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

The most shocking thing about this episode is the fact that the Beek is now old enough to play someone who graduated from college twenty years ago.

I loved Huang's first scene. Did B.D. basically describe himself at the beginning?

Fin's reactions to Huang's description of the condition were indeed hilarious, but did anyone notice Rollins cracking up as the camera pulled away? Wonder if the actress was legit laughing.

Good episode, as it mostly has been this season.

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:12 AM

The only thing that really surprised me was Dawson not killing his ex-girlfriend. You figure if the cops were dumb enough to let them dance together, it really should blow up in their faces like it normally does, no?

Yeah, I was waiting for him to reach over and snap her neck at any moment.

This episode lost me when it was revealed that the daughter found a card with the donor info on it, specifically the donor number. Why would the mother have saved that? Not believable to me.

PI Marlowe

PI Marlowe

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

While the character interactions in this episode were good (Munch being effective in command a welcome change, especially considering he's still not utilized enough), the tone just felt 'off'. I thought the writer and director spent too much time 'winking' at each other throughout the hour, as if they both knew they had an episode on their hand that revolved around an act that manages to simultaneously be both utterly twisted and truly absurd.

Soulonfire posted Yesterday, 09:47 PM:
The most shocking thing about this episode is the fact that the Beek is now old enough to play someone who graduated from college twenty years ago.

I thought the same thing. Van der Beek turned in a passable performance considering what the script had him do but I can't buy him for a minute as being old enough to have gone to medical school at the same time as the sperm donor/father.

Brina24 posted May 3, 2012, 5:18 PM:
Everyone involved in the conversation but Fin and Rollins faces especially, when Huang was explaing GSA = Priceless.

My junk heap of a laptop only has Fireworks CS3 installed but I was able to put these .gif animations together. Err... you're welcome, America?

Brina24

Brina24

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

My junk heap of a laptop only has Fireworks CS3 installed but I was able to put these .gif animations together. Err... you're welcome, America?

And all at once my life became complete. I heart Odafin Tutuola's 'squicked out' face.

Soulonfire

Soulonfire

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

And these are going in my reaction gifs folder. Thanks!

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

That episode was really bad. I mean it was almost halfway done before they even figured out a crime had been committed (when the guys came back from Baltimore). For the first part Benson and Amaro were basically investigating the fact that a teenaged girl got in a fight with her mom (but didn't cause her to fall) and then went out for the night and didn't come home. Were there really no rapes or other cases in Manhattan that week that the SVU should have been investigating? I mean even when it was revealed that this girl was trying to get in touch with her sperm donor father, they were still investigating. But how is that a crime. Until they realized that the girl from Baltimore had sex with the guy, I couldn't figure out what law had been broken. And then like 10 minutes later The Dawson shows up and I couldn't take anything seriously.

I also loved how this kid calls 911 about his mom possibly being dead, and instead of the first cop arriving being a beat cop on patrol or a radio car, they don't actually enter the room until Benson shows up.

Also I was severly disappointed that Munch told Fin and Amaro to drive down to Baltimore, but made no mention of it being his hometown.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

That said...this ep left a bad taste in my mouth. That the girls wanted to sleep with them more BECAUSE they believed he was their father, and after discovering he wasn't, they were disappointed. I'm just not down with somebody being upset that they didn't commit incest. Very weird.

That was hilarious. The girls were like "are you saying the man I had sex with is not my father? GROSS!". I found that amusing but also kind of understandable, if you see it from their (teenage, exploited) perspective. They were mad because they were lied to, because they trusted a stranger. Instead of their father. And then had sex with hi... OK yeah this is weird.

YES. Thank you PI Marlowe. Indeed, my life is complete.

The Beek was awesome. But I agree that he did not look old enough for the age they were going for. He's, what, 34? 36? Wait, google tells me he's 35. And he looks it. Eric Close is a decade older, and he looks it as well. That was a bit off but I love both these actors so I choose to let it slide. Oh and Penneh! Love her.

Decent episode overall, it was great seeing BD Wong again, the Liv/Rollins scene was hilarious and I did like how the entire team was utilised, including Munch.

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:17 AM

I've never heard of cases with parents and kids outside of the Schuyler Fisk SVU episode.

John and Jenny Deaves is an infamous case in Australia.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Hee. Indeed. I had a lot of laughs.

I wonder why they didn't tell the girl at the end that she'd been duped? Just let her keep screaming for her "father?" Seriously?

There was also a case of a grandmother and grandson in Australia, who even managed to have a baby together.