11-33: "Top 5 Performances" 2012.05.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

132 replies to this topic

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Given that I'm an old fart, who actually sat up one night listening to them draw ping-pong balls to decide whether or not I'd get to go to Vietnam to possibly die in a war that the country had pretty much decided was pointless and stupid (kind of a Hunger Games precursor), I was really annoyed at Skylar's smily, stomping version. I know that Red Stater's seem to think that the first verse means exactly the opposite of what it says, then generally proceed to mumble the rest of the lyrics, but still. That's a pissed-off, contemptuous song, not a peaen to the red, white and blue. If she wasn't singing it mad (or sad, if she had the artistry), she didn't get the point.

I'm not sure why the red state/blue state thing needs to come into the equation since republicans and democrats can agree or disagree on this songs meaning but I do agree with your overall point regarding Skylar. I too was confounded by her disposition during the performance.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Okay, so I missed the VT and intro to P2 & Joshua's duet and boy, did Josh come over like a jerk pushing him away at the end like that! Only reading this thread, I get the idea that it some kind of schtick those two had going on - in which case they were too convincing and Josh came over quite badly.

I wasn't really down with the 60s theme so no performances stood out for me. I agree with what's been posted though: Skylar missed the point of the lyrics, 'Proud Mary' was a boring choice for Jessica, everyone else - meh.

The 'Britpop' theme was confusing for me as a Brit! No Oasis, Blur or Pulp... oh, you mean British pop? Okay dokes. I didn't like Hollie's version of Bleeding Love - without the beat the song becomes quite bland and Hollie's voice didn't come close to Leona.

I like Jessica but what happened to songs for her age? There are lots of great contemporary British pop she could have sang but no, we get another oldie. She did sing it well though. I think she has potential to really make it after the show.

P2 was not good. If he survives this week, then he's got this whole thing sewn up. I'd quite like a female final three.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Yes, but the show is called "American Idol", and it's been ages since we have seen what would be a real idol come out of this show. The judges and even Iovine seem to be fixated on Jessica's singing ability. I am not saying she is not talented, but an idol or superstar does NOT have to have a great voice. Katherine Mcphee had a nice voice too, but she is no idol.

Jessica's not a perfect vocalist or stage performer by any stretch (no one is), but she's still very young and has time to improve. She seemed rather robotic at first, but lately I see her making a real effort to sing with more feeling and emotion, and IMO her stage performances are getting better. She started off doing only ballads, but lately she is now working strong up-tempo numbers into her performance itinerary. Sure, she's no Tina Turner, but I thought her rendition of "Proud Mary" was excellent.

I'm not exactly sure what the term "real idol" implies, but "American Idol" is just a platform for young people to showcase their performing skills and hopefully make a name for themselves in show business - with no guarantees - not even for the winner. Anyone looking for guarantees against failure would be wise to steer clear of the entertainment industry.

Not every contestant becomes a mega-star, but many contestants have gone through the AI factory and fashioned very comfortable livings for themselves in the entertainment industry post-IDOL. Some become successful recording artists, but most end up taking the scenic route. Their journeys have taken them to Broadway, Movies, touring with bands, hosting music shows or a combination of many activities. Jennifer Hudson's career was all but dead until Dreamgirls came along almost 3 years after being eliminated from IDOL. Kat McPhee fell off the radar screen for a few years and resurfaced in a starring role in the TV series "Smash". An IDOL contestant's next big break could come a week after their IDOL stint is done or 5 years later. Who knows?

madam magpie

madam magpie

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Well, I wouldn't take his advice that seriously, since the advice he gave seemed very stupid, especially about Phillip and his lousy rendition during his second song. He may be a legend with the E Street Band, but he's not a good mentor.

I disagree, but then, I don't hate Phillip. I thought Little Steven was one of the best mentors we've seen. The advice he gave Hollie was spot on. And telling Jimmy to leave Phillip alone? Also spot on. What Little Steven brought to the table was a real musician's perspective, not Jimmy's "how do I make money off of this kid" perspective. Like him or hate him, Phillip is a musician with his own style and that style is set. Leave him alone is exactly the right answer. Music is subjective, and the voting public can decide to take him or leave him. On the other hand, Hollie still needs to find her own style, so Steven gave her the advice she needed to make another step toward it. Mentoring people in general, but certainly creative people in particular, isn't about shoving them into a preconceived mold, despite what this show wants us to believe. A good mentor will help the musician develop the creative person that's already inside, not the person America wants him or her to be.

It was the same with Stevie Nicks and Elise. Stevie saw that Elise knew what she was doing and she was doing it purposefully. Telling her to be different is of no use because "Elise the musician" has already been created. Same with Phillip, I think. That doesn't mean they can't improve; of course, they can and will, I'm sure. But when it comes to style, they're done.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

republicans and democrats can agree or disagree on this songs meaning

From wikipeia:

This song was popular during the Vietnam War and is included in several Vietnam films and video games. It is from the perspective of a man who is being drafted who is not "fortunate" enough to be the son of a Senator or millionaire

It is, in fact, why a biography of George W. Bush was titled "Fortunate Son." So, yeah, Country doesn't seem the appropriate genre!

Music is subjective

Trying to kill the board? ;-)

Edited by LennieB, May 3, 2012 @ 6:25 PM.

dodginblue

dodginblue

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Maybe next week Skyler can wheel out some Country Joe McDonald and give us her own special take on his legendary Woodstock performance..what's that spell...give me an F, give me a U...and it's one two three what are we fightin' for...don't ask me...I don't give a damn...

I can see her now grinning widely as she scoots around the stage hopping up and down...open up the pearly gates...ain't no time to wonder why... whooppee we're all gonna die...

Ah, to be young and completely clueless.

jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Okay, so I missed the VT and intro to P2 & Joshua's duet and boy, did Josh come over like a jerk pushing him away at the end like that! Only reading this thread, I get the idea that it some kind of schtick those two had going on - in which case they were too convincing and Josh came over quite badly.

Really? I just thought Josh was afraid of the "straight boy cooties." P2 was just messing with an obviously flustered and "closeted" Josh.

karenftx

karenftx

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Ok, I am posting this to settle an argument with my son. True Hollie gave an energetic performance last night but her River Deep Mountain High was almost a note by note Celine Dion version shortened for the show. My son says it was original or she used the Tina Turner version.

Celine: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=f-SPcHmfYB4

Tina: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tipw66XjXn4

Hollie: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pM9aCzV3xkc (studio version--she didn't sing with this much power in the show but I can't find a link)

Notice how her inflection is the same as Celine--even her ad libs are the same. Might be one or two changes but it's the same. And the music exactly the same. Not to say she did a bad job but Simon would have pegged this as kareoke right away.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Katherine Mcphee had a nice voice too, but she is no idol.

Katharine's recording career definitely sunk, but I actually think she's one of the most complete packages the show's ever had. She has the looks, personality, skill, and x factor. I think starring in a moderately successful primetime show sort of proves her star power.

I think Jessica lacks Katharine's charisma, but she is younger and more timid; I think it will come with time.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

It is, in fact, why a biography of George W. Bush was titled "Fortunate Son." So, yeah, Country doesn't seem the appropriate genre!

I don't understand the correlation. George bush has nothing to do with the Vietnam war. And the song is about the injustices of the draft system as you pointed out. If anyone fans of the country genre may connect with it more because the genre is all about people going through hard times and various injustices. The Vietnam war was unpopular with a lot of Americans regardless of which party they identified with and I think "fortunate sons" lasting popularity is evidence of that. I apologize if I misinterpreted anything or assumed anything but I just don't think skylars probable fan base would have any problems with that song. Her problem was with her delivery.

Edited by MV007, May 3, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

dodginblue

dodginblue

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

Not to get off on some tangent here about Fortunate Son but I think it's about a lot more than the unfairness of the draft during the Vietnam War era. It's about people wrapping themselves in the flag and being all for the fight but not doing any of that fighting (or dying) themselves. The same could be said today and there is no draft. It's basically a song about hypocrisy.

So yeah, I agree that this isn't something that so-called red states would have a problem with at all. There's a culture of military service in the southern states (as there is elsewhere of course), which is about more than just being all gung ho and rah rah wave the flag when it's somebody else lining up to go. It's putting yourself on the line.

Bad song choice for Skyler but not because of politics.

Edited by dodginblue, May 3, 2012 @ 11:09 PM.

dramafan

dramafan

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I haven't posted in here until today, but I read all the time. I'm one of the ones who likes P2, and I don't really understand the appeal of the others. I don't vote much, but I have voted for Phil because his music is what I'd like to hear on the radio. That has NOTHING to do with his looks or the color of his skin. It's only what I like to hear. I like funky. I like Blues. I like Hip Hop. Why do all the other contestants left just sing ballads? I HATED Jessica's "You Are So Beautiful"! Who is beautiful to her except herself? That song is about longing and love and, furthermore it's OLD! and she sang it OLD! She didn't do a thing to make it new and relevant. I don't get it.

I like Hollie ok, but she totally ruined Bleeding Love. Where was a the beat?

And Josh has a nice voice, but he screams WAY TOO MUCH! The first verse is always good, but I can't stand it by the end. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Phil looks tired and sick, but I get the sense that he knows who he is, and what kind of artist he wants to be. He knows what music he likes, and he knows how to turn songs into what he likes.

He's no David Cook (my favorite. Idol. ever.) but he's at least interesting and funky.

Oh, and I liked Skyler, but I hate that song. I think it was a bad choice for her voice, but I also think in the south it's seen as a slap in the face to those who are patriotic, so that probably didn't help. If she'd sung it really well it might not have mattered, but some of her hometown southern support might have faded because of it. Kinda like Lady Gaga and Colton.

joeschmoe

joeschmoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

I'm one of the ones who likes P2, and I don't really understand the appeal of the others. I don't vote much, but I have voted for Phil because his music is what I'd like to hear on the radio. That has NOTHING to do with his looks or the color of his skin. It's only what I like to hear. I like funky. I like Blues. I like Hip Hop. Why do all the other contestants left just sing ballads?

At least the other three actually do a serviceable job with what their stuff. Sure, Phillip is someone I'd probably want to hear on the radio, but I can't overlook his crappy performances. I like my contestants to perform well week after week.

I like Hollie ok, but she totally ruined Bleeding Love. Where was a the beat?

Bleeding Love was great. Not to mention, she made it more intimate rather than bombastic as Leona does it.

Phil looks tired and sick, but I get the sense that he knows who he is, and what kind of artist he wants to be. He knows what music he likes, and he knows how to turn songs into what he likes.

Sick or not, I believe that a contestant should, you know, be able to perform well week after week. And being an artist is useless when you turn out subpar performances in a singing competition.

He's no David Cook (my favorite. Idol. ever.) but he's at least interesting and funky.

I don't really see how making all of your performances sound the same counts as "interesting and funky." And to be honest, he's more Lee DeWyze than David Cook.