Hit & Miss

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

25 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

Sky Atlantic HD is proud to announce that Academy Award© nominated and Golden Globe© winning actress Chloë Sevigny will star in 'Hit & Miss'. Sky Atlantic's first original drama is created by one of the country's most respected screenwriters, Paul Abbott.

Sevigny is best known for her appearances in films such as Boys Don't Cry, for which she gained both Academy Award© and Golden Globe© nominations as well as her role in the HBO series Big Love, for which she won a Golden Globe© award. She has also appeared in critically acclaimed films like American Psycho and Party Monster as well as being a prominent fashion designer.

Sevigny will play Mia, a contract killer with a big secret: she's a pre-op transsexual. Mia's life is sent into a tailspin when she receives a letter from her ex, Wendy, who reveals that she's dying from cancer and that Mia had fathered a son, 11-year-old Ryan. Travelling to a tiny village in West Yorkshire to see the boy, the assassin then discovers the rest of Wendy's brood...

Ambitious and high concept, HIT & MISS is about family, sexual identity and killing, as it follows Mia's attempts to mix her killer instincts with her new maternal ones as she starts life with her new family - a lethal killer at the heart of a troubled family dramatically changes all of their lives forever.

Multi-award winning writer and producer Paul Abbott is responsible for some of the most diverse and genre-defining dramas to appear on British television, from Shameless to conspiracy thriller State of Play. HIT & MISS is written by film writer Sean Conway (Brilliant Love, Kings Of London), who delivers a dark and compelling series

Elaine Pyke, Head of Sky Atlantic, commented: "Chloë Sevigny is an extraordinarily talented actress and we are thrilled to welcome her to her first UK television role on Sky Atlantic HD. Mia is a complex, challenging character and Chloë is the perfect person to bring her to life."

Paul Abbot, the show creator and Executive Producer, added: "When Chloë Sevigny signed-up to play Mia in HIT & MISS I was thrilled. She's bringing her unique, smart toolbox with her and, together, we will make a great series better. And the next big deal was getting the gifted young film maker Sean Conway to lend his genius and unique mischief into this, his TV drama debut."

HIT & MISS is a co-production made by Paul Abbott's development company AbbottVision and Red Production Company (Exile, Mark of Cain, Second Coming, Scott and Bailey). Executive Produced by Paul Abbott (AbbottVision), Nicola Shindler (Red Production Company) and Huw Kennair-Jones (Sky Atlantic). Produced by Juliet Charlesworth (Baker Boys, Clocking Off) and directed by Hettie Macdonald (Beautiful Thing, White Girl). The six part series was commissioned by Elaine Pyke and will exclusively air on Sky Atlantic HD and Sky Atlantic in 2012.

HIT & MISS is the latest project to come out of the development relationship between FremantleMedia Enterprises (FME), the commercial division of FremantleMedia, and AbbottVision, Paul Abbott's development company. FME provides development funding to AbottVision and distributes its programmes around the world. FME launched the first AbbottVision title Exile in April this year as part of their wider portfolio of high-quality, compelling drama from around the world and will launch HIT AND MISS to international broadcasters at MIPCOM 2011.

Press release: http://skyatlantic.s...in-hit-and-miss

It's due to start this month on SkyAtlantic, their first original drama I think. The trailers have been interesting.

Edited by darkestboy, May 2, 2012 @ 2:31 PM.

Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

Entertainment Weekly had not one but two plugs for this show in the latest edition. They loved Sevigny's performance. I think here in the US it is seen on DirectTV? I don't know as I don't have satellite but I'll certainly look forward to seeing this somewhere in the ether. I adore Sevigny and am grateful she's working.

karmas bitch

karmas bitch

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

I saw this last night after Damages and was blown away; it's making me rethink my decision to get rid of Direct TV.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

• Interests:TV series (both live action and anime), movies (ditto), gaming, music, clinical psychology, religion.

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 3:50 AM

I was blown away too. I'm not even sure what to think/say. It was one of those shows that leave you with no comments, nothing but pleasure. I'm really intrigued by the second episode; I have no idea what could be in it. Chloe Sevigny was excellent. Even the kids were good.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

I am curious to see the American reaction to this show,not really due to content (though yeah the main character I would imagine being more controversial in the states than here based purely on the stereotypes of american cultures your media projects to the rest of the world) but mostly the presentation, Brits tend to make stuff thats deliberatly less polished under the idea thats "its more real" that way, so everything is more rough and down to earth less outlandish (though obviously the show is plenty outlandish still).

The big thing I wonder is did viewers in the USA have problems following the dialogue that came out of Chloe Sevigny's mouth with that accent? I mean I am a Brit and my dads side of the family are all from the Republic of Ireland so I am used to many related accents but even I had trouble not being taken out of the show at times with the thick (northern?) Irish accent she had as it stood out from everyone else around her, heck I had to wiki it just to figure out where it was set after I watched it all since i don't think they gave much info on that part of the world building

x1013x

x1013x

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

I've seen the whole series and I didn't have much trouble understanding anyone. Then again I do tend to watch a lot of shows from the UK, so the varying accents didn't phase me that much.

I really like the show. At first I was afraid that it would play out like two different shows since Paul Abbott said it was two different show ideas at first. But I think it all blended together nicely.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Sounds interesting, I hope one of the channels I have picks it up. It sounds like Hit and miss is more up BBCAmerica's alley than anyone else's. But now that I think about it, premium cable channels like HBO or Showtime can afford to be more edgy than regular cable shows so maybe one of them should pick it up. Either way I'd like to see this.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

The strange thing is when they first advertised it in the UK I assumed it was an HBO import due to Sevigny and how Sky Atlantic is pretty much there to show Prestige American TV imports (seriously that channel has only existed for like a year or two now and all the HBO type shows that used to be spread between channels are mostly consolidated now under that brand) I was shocked to find it was home made!

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

Finally watched the first episode I had dvr'd last night. I too, was completely blown away. I felt like I was watching a movie - drew me in immediately. I thought Chloe Sevigny was fantastic and even the kids were great. I'm in. Can't wait to see what happens next. There were a couple of moments I had to rewind to understand what was being said, but no major problems understanding. Love it!

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

It is a great series, definitely enjoyed it when SkyAtlantic aired it.

Chloe Sevigny is damn good as Mia and the plot works actually quite well to be honest.

The remainder of the series gets better too.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

The directing and camera work on this is outstanding. I'm used to UK TV usually looking more fancy than US TV, but this one is gorgeous even by their standards. You can almost forget about the plot and how good the actors are (yes, the children too!) when the picture is so pretty.

An insane mix of Breaking Bad, Luther and Shameless. Hope it gets renewed.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Wow if this show doesn't grab you in the very first scene I don't know what will. We just saw it was after Damages and thought we might as well watch and see. Wow! Totally different than anything else we have seen. And as far as understanding it we just turn on the closed captioning if we can't catch it all. If I worked this would definitely be a water cooler discussion! But I am retired so will come here to discuss!

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

I know only being on DirectTV limits it a bit, but why aren't more people watching this show. I am riveted every week. How long is the run?

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

It's six episodes long if I remember correctly. No news yet on whether or not there will be a second series. I am a bit concerned since Chloe Sevigny will be in the next season American Horror Story. I like AHS quite a bit, I just hope she'll find time to do another series of this as well.

Becks

Becks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2012 @ 4:34 AM

I loved the whole series - it is pretty ambitious and doesn't succeed in every way, but it's so unlike anything else that I was riveted. Even with her somewhat iffy Irish accent, Chloe Sevigny owned, and I was intrigued by everyone's dilemmas.

I'm a bit concerned about the chances for a second season too - in addition to Sevigny's gig on American Horror Story, Karla Crome, who plays Riley, has signed on for the next series of Misfits, so there's another cast member who's not going to be available for a while. Apparently all the actors but Chloe have options in their contracts for another season, but she recently told TV Guide that she thinks TPTB are waiting to see what kind of reception the show gets, and what they can whip up in terms of storylines for another go-round. The part about the show's reception makes me desperately wish it had been picked up by a higher profile outlet than the Audience Network here in the States, so more buzz could be built.

Edited by Becks, Aug 10, 2012 @ 4:36 AM.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 6:23 AM

I'm a bit concerned about the chances for a second season too - in addition to Sevigny's gig on American Horror Story, Karla Crome, who plays Riley, has signed on for the next series of Misfits, so there's another cast member who's not going to be available for a while.

Misfits should be in the final stages of filming now. And AHS is coming back to FX in October, so I don't imagine she'll be busy there for much longer.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

I certainly hope for another season too. This is unique and so attention grabbing. I want to know who shoots whom.

MyEyesSee

MyEyesSee

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

I have finally finished watching the first season on DVR. Excellent show; I was rivited the whole time. I certainly hope it returns for another season. Mia is a fascinating character.

Becks

Becks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 27, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

Misfits should be in the final stages of filming now. And AHS is coming back to FX in October, so I don't imagine she'll be busy there for much longer.

Good to know...but now she's signed up for Portlandia's third season. Argh!

SrPab

SrPab

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

Sonicsean34
Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

I am curious to see the American reaction to this show,not really due to content (though yeah the main character I would imagine being more controversial in the states than here based purely on the stereotypes of american cultures your media projects to the rest of the world) but mostly the presentation, Brits tend to make stuff thats deliberatly less polished under the idea thats "its more real" that way, so everything is more rough and down to earth less outlandish (though obviously the show is plenty outlandish still).

Prospero
Posted Jul 22, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

The directing and camera work on this is outstanding. I'm used to UK TV usually looking more fancy than US TV, but this one is gorgeous even by their standards.

I know the above excerpted quotes are from two different posters, but I'm still curious--can someone reconcile these two viewpoints/perspectives for me? American-bred premium cable tv programming has had gritty, less-polished shows overs the years. Likewise, it's also had its share of directorial and cinematographic standouts.

How can Hit & Miss be both "less-polished" and "fancier" (irrespective of any comparisons to American-bred shows)?

Edited by SrPab, Aug 27, 2012 @ 6:46 AM.

Becks

Becks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Well, we've got our answer now. According to digitalspy.co.uk, there won't be a second series of Hit & Miss. Sky Atlantic claims that the show was 'always intended as a mini-series', but since they took the trouble to sign all the actors but Chloe Sevigny for an additional season, I'm calling BS on that. Clearly there were hopes to take it further, at least initially.

Crap.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 3:22 AM

It was always intended as a mini-series with a massive cliffhanger and a story that would be building-up to that cliffhanger that was always intended to be the end of it. What a load of bullshit.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Darn

MyEyesSee

MyEyesSee

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

Just chiming in to say that it's a damn shame that there's no season two. This was one of the most original and interesting dramas I've seen in awhile. Sad to see someting so good go away so fast. (Sigh)

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

This aired last night here in Canada. Sad to hear it hasn't been renewed but will check out all six episodes as the first one grabbed me. It airs up here on Monday nights on one of our specialty channels if anyone is looking for it.

This is now the second show I've seen Vincent Regan in. Does he always play bad guys? Guess I'll have to see more of his work to find out. That was quite the beat down his character took from Mia. Well done Mia!

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 12:45 AM

Just discovered this on DirecTV. I need to check out their in-house channel more often! I've seen the first 3 episodes, and I am quite disappointed that there won't be a second season.

I had no trouble understanding anyone's accent.

Does anyone know what the viewership was like? It seems like either Chloe didn't want to re-sign, or they just didn't have backing due to ratings issues. But I don't know how ratings work for shows outside the USA.

I think this show could only air in the USA on HBO or Showtime; other networks just won't air the level of nudity this show relies on-- not even the breasts, and certainly not full frontal below the waist, regardless of gender. We don't even get naked butt-shots here. Or the blow job she gives Ben to "show him how this would work'-- again, not going to get on air here, even out of frame.

I wonder why the kids are so well-acted. Here in the states, most child roles come across self-conscious and poorly executed, and we're supposed to handwave it because "they're just kids." But the kid actors on this show are good! They are every bit as good as the adults.