1-19: "Absolution" 2012.05.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

109 replies to this topic

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

So we know for sure now that Conrad told Daniel all about how they framed David Clarke AND got his daughter locked up in juvie? And Daniel is ok with that? That seems kind of out of character. Its too sudden. I'd expect him to at least struggle with it more. And now he's on Emanda's list, I think. He just made himself accessory after the fact, and seems fine with having done so. I hope it turns out there's some twist we're not seeing. Like, he did it all to protect Charlotte. But at this point, the best thing for Charlotte might be if Daniel gave up on the company and took Charlotte somewhere else to start over in a normal-sized house away from their parents. I guess Daniel isn't mature enough to raise a teenage girl, though. I really hope Daniel has something up his sleeve other than suddenly becoming evil. I think that's too out of character and sudden. Maybe we're supposed to think he slowly got darker and darker over these months of being locked up but we didn't really get to see that.

Charlotte and Declan were already estranged at the beginning of last episode, so I don't think it makes sense that she is only just now asking her family to pull his tuition, or that her family hadn't already done so. Unless they were strategically continuing to pay his tuition in the hopes of getting him to change his testimony for them? But then they could mention that.

I don't understand why Ashley is still on the show, and I find it unbelievable that they all want her as media liason instead of someone who seems more mature and believable on camera.

Daniel stopped being a big dumb well intentioned idiot long enough to side with evil, and I guess they had to pass the mantle of dumb well intentioned idiot to Jack?

Daniel will have plenty of money if he marries Emanda. He is also perfectly capable of working for money, if he wants to live like an honest person. If he's really going to side with Conrad, I don't think it can be about money.

Doesn't he also have a trust fund or something? Yeah, he should not be worried about becoming broke. I think he has enough money to take care of himself and Charlotte without having to side with Conrad.

The funny thing about that is that the vast majority of her revenge plans have depended on [Nolan] helping her out. Sometimes I wonder how did she initially plan to pull any of her plans off, when she didn't know that he was around.

Those probably weren't her original plans. She seems to be good at improvising.

For now, i will suspend judgment on whether Daniel has gone evil. It seems that he may be playing for more time and access to verify everything himslef and find out what really happened.

He didn't need to play for time - he could have just postponed the interview.

From his introduction when he's being tempted to do drugs at his mother's yacht party

What drugs? I remember thinking he was drinking and then having it revealed as club soda.

My dream ending is that Daniel has his own plots to oust Conrad; the show (ironically) ends with he and Emily in a twisted love-match as the new King and Queen Grayson.

That would actually be a pretty awesome ending - they take the place of Conrad and Victoria and we always wonder if they'll destroy each other in the end.

Charlotte stole the picture from QV, who had it hidden in the lining of one of her jewelry boxes. I don't find the picture hard to believe - if the Graysons can hire people to brutalize and murder people while in prison, how hard would it be to get someone to take a picture?

I thought Victoria didn't know David had been murdered, so her having the picture is weird. Or did she know?

Meeta

Meeta

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

... and he certainly wouldn't have had the fortitude to leave without her, since he didn't.

To be fair, he was arrested immediately afterward. He hasn't exactly had the opportunity to leave the country.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

So we know for sure now that Conrad told Daniel all about how they framed David Clarke AND got his daughter locked up in juvie? And Daniel is ok with that? That seems kind of out of character. Its too sudden. I'd expect him to at least struggle with it more.

I don't think, whichever way Daniel goes, he's made up his mind yet. It's not like the only chance he ever has to come clean is in the interview the next day. He didn't postpone the interview because his original reason for giving it (getting people off his back) still stands but now he can take the time and decide what to do and not act rashly. Besides, if he wants to find any proof then he needs time. And since Conrad believes he's going to be taken down by the SEC anyway, if Daniel believes him then I could see how he would think that being imprisoned for life for one crime is no different than being imprisoned for another so there's no point in further hurting the family if his father's already going to get justice.

From his introduction when he's being tempted to do drugs at his mother's yacht party

His friend wanted him to. I don't think he had time to make a decision before bumping into Emanda.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Charlotte and Declan were already estranged at the beginning of last episode, so I don't think it makes sense that she is only just now asking her family to pull his tuition, or that her family hadn't already done so. Unless they were strategically continuing to pay his tuition in the hopes of getting him to change his testimony for them? But then they could mention that.

The semester has already been paid for in advance I assume. It seems like you pay tuition before classes start, so they can't just yank him out in the current semester. They just won't pay for the next semester.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

But they still didn't decide to do that until months after the two stopped speaking. I was almost expecting Charlotte to tell him deals off on the first day since that's when he betrayed her.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

Yeah, it seemed like everyone was just assuming they'd keep paying for his school until Charlotte said otherwise in this episode. It makes no sense. A throwaway line about how they were still planning on paying for him during the trial in the hopes that he'd end up on their side while testifying would have explained it decently well, but as is it just seems weird. Its odd enough that they were paying for Charlotte's boyfriend, its even more strange that they'd be paying for her estranged ex-boyfriend who testified against them.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

Its odd enough that they were paying for Charlotte's boyfriend, its even more strange that they'd be paying for her estranged ex-boyfriend who testified against them.

I don't think that it was strange that they were paying for him. This whole thing started before the news about Charlotte's parentage came out. Conrad was rapidly losing Daniel and he was aware of it despite the fact that Daniel was trying to pretend otherwise. He was trying to secure Charlotte's favor, at least. I get that maybe the tuition was non-refundable but continuing? It's like it never even occured to Declan that his schooling might be in jeopardy.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Didn't Grandpa Grayson pay Declan's tuition? And, where the hell is Grandpa during all of this?! Suddenly he doesn't care about "protecting the Grayson name" while Daniel was on trial?! His absence was more jarring than the sudden disappearance of Big Ed!

**Edited to add: I think I am remembering incorrectly. That's right. Conrad agreed to pay the tuition at a lunch. Grandpa was trying to keep Charlotte out of therapy...I THINK it was the same episode.

Edited by JenE4, May 7, 2012 @ 11:52 AM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

And, where the hell is Grandpa during all of this?! Suddenly he doesn't care about "protecting the Grayson name" while Daniel was on trial?! His absence was more jarring than the sudden disappearance of Big Ed!

Yes! Also, when Daniel is talking about how he feels like Emanda isn't giving him the support he needs and states that she is giving other things (sex) to Jack, why hasn't Daniel felt abandoned by Grandpa not being at trial? No one in the family even mentioned why Grandpa wouldn't be there for his grandson... not even a throwaway line. Not that a throwaway line would really matter because supposedly the show wants the viewers to think that Grandpa Grayson is a family man; but what family man doesn't even speak to Daniel or show up during a horrific time in Daniel's life? It doesn't make sense. Last we heard about Grandpa was that he was flying to New York to bring in Brooks to be Daniel's lawyer. Then poof, no more Grandpa Grayson! Maybe there are two white-haired men in the terrorist scheme... the guy who shanked David in the prison yard and Grandpa Grayson... might explain his disappearing act. I dunno. More importantly, I want Big Ed back!

Edited by Bella, May 7, 2012 @ 12:23 PM.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

Thatís one of the dangers of stunt-casting. William Devane might not have been available, though two massive events have happened where his character should have participated: Danielís trial and the SEC confiscating Grayson Globalsí files. Last we heard, heís still the Chairman of the Board of Directors.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

Who shot the photo of David in prison ? And then shot the stabbing. Technically possible but wouldn't the 'Marshal' have seen he's being photographed. Wouldn't David have been kept in solitary for his own protection.

I don't think anyone shot the stabbing. I thought it was supposed to be a "flashback" or some such.

I'm really interested to see where this goes. I could see Daniel hatching his own revenge plot. We've seen the baby steps towards that - first when he was on Victoria's side during the divorce and he told her she'd have anything she wanted (and then tried to ingratiate himself into the business with Conrad). And I could definitely understand why he wouldn't confide this to Emanda. As far as he knows, she doesn't have any insider knowledge about the Graysons, she's just a sweet-at-heart woman he was planning on marrying. Why would he bring her in it?

Of course, Emanda is anything but sweet, so she see's this as Daniel siding with his parents. It's very well done. This show doesn't spell it out for you and it doesn't treat the audience like idiots. Love it.

goodyman

goodyman

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Martial Arts, Salsa Dancing, Parkour, Mountain Biking, Writing, Conguero(ing)...

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

Sensei would not be pleased by these developments. :)

And ITA that Grandpa Grayson's absence was mind-numbingly conspicuous. Not unforgivable...though all that eczema and overbite and ill-fitting spectacles are a bit hard to watch.

I tend to believe that Daniel has evolved somewhat, unbeknownst to many. I can see him at some point becoming Emanda's prime adversary. Think about how finding out that he's been a pawn in her endeavor all of this time...old boy might totally trip, for real.

Yes...I was digging the dead-pan glares given by QV and Conrad as Daniel was giving his interview, particularly after his faux of solidarity. Cool stuff.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

What if what Conrad told Daniel combined with what he remembers Tyler told him and Emily's shady behavior has lead Daniel to figure out the truth? I could see that being the thing that made Daniel decide to publicly support his family. Daniel has been manipulated by everyone and might be ready to do some manipulation of his own. I like that I don't know what he's up to. He could turn out to be Emily's ally or her nemesis.

Edited by Luckylyn, May 8, 2012 @ 9:54 PM.

goodyman

goodyman

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Martial Arts, Salsa Dancing, Parkour, Mountain Biking, Writing, Conguero(ing)...

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

What if what Conrad told Daniel combined with what he remembers Tyler told him and Emily's shady behavior has lead Daniel to figure out the truth? I could see that being the thing that made Daniel decide to publicly support his family. Daniel has been manipulated by everyone and might be ready to do some manipulation of his own. I like that I don't know what he's up to. He could turn out to be Emily's ally or her nemesis.

What would he have told Daniel that would implicate Emanda in anything? If anything, the revelations as of late merely confirm the lies he has been living long before Emanda even came into the picture...and they lies just keep on coming.

For me, the long-con theory is an interesting one...even given the astute observations of Daniels "lack of agency" (great way to put it!) all these years.

Will Daniel NOW step out as a force to be reckoned with? Will he remain loyal to his the Grayson name and set up a duplicitous existence with his belle Emanda? Has some epiphany occurred, to which now he has been thrust into the role of antihero?

Stay tuned, television fans!

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

I could see Daniel hatching his own revenge plot.

But what will Daniel be plotting vengeance against his parents for? For not going to prison and leaving him with a family name synonymous to ostracization? He is no ally of Clarke's. Why would he want to payback Conrad on David Clarke's behalf?

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

But what will Daniel be plotting vengeance against his parents for? For not going to prison and leaving him with a family name synonymous to ostracization? He is no ally of Clarke's. Why would he want to payback Conrad on David Clarke's behalf?

Gosh, Doram, ruining some good speculation with a voice of reason! ;-) I was getting all excited reading the possibilities for Daniel actually being a major player in the game, but after your post I'm back to thinking he'll just be a bump on a log again. lol. Well, this is a soap, so he doesn't really need a rational reason to turn on his family. It might just be enough that his mom had him beat up in prison to get him home and the knowledge of the lengths they'd go to not only with David but with Lee, etc., that makes him realize that he can't trust his parents at all. I would like to see Daniel not trust his parents OR Emanda and become some type of double agent per se between them. There are definitely a lot of possibilities of how verious characters can play out against each other, just like how Victoria and Conrad are against each other yet bonded together against the cover-up (although that bond is now crumbling since she went to the SEC and asked for immunity to tell all), Daniel can now side with his dad to protect the company. Emanda and Victoria could even team up to help destroy Grayson Global (with Emanda secretly doing it for her own end). Up to this point Daniel has been a pawn put in the middle, but we've seen enough of "angry, hardened Daniel" emerge in the last couple of episodes, that I do think he's going to start his own revenge subplot.

Amery19

Amery19

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

I could see Daniel hatching his own revenge plot.

Only if Emanda has a spare brain in her infinity box.

Edited by Amery19, May 9, 2012 @ 8:22 PM.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Gosh, Doram, ruining some good speculation with a voice of reason! ;-) I was getting all excited reading the possibilities for Daniel actually being a major player in the game, but after your post I'm back to thinking he'll just be a bump on a log again

I don't necessarily think his revenge will be specific to David Clarke. But he could have finally realized that his parents are actually evil, evil people and figured - "Whelp, I know! I'll take the company from dear ol' dad and leave mom (who had me beat up!) to figure out her own way. Fuck them all!"

pemyquid

pemyquid

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

An unintentionally funny moment was when Emanda said to Nolan during their cozy fireside chat, "Jack Daniel didn't kill Tyler" with no audible pause between "Jack" and "Daniel". Mr. Quid and I totally got the giggles. We were like " no, Jim Beam did it!" Also, was very aware of the oh so portentous cello background music this episode. Can't remember, is it usually so melodramatic?

I suppose it's a budget thing, but I agree with everyone who says that it makes no sense for all of these characters - Porter brothers excepted - to still be hanging out in the Hamptons in the dead of winter. They should have all retreated to their posh upper east side penthouses months ago. I loved that the artist guy was able to clear all of the paintings etc. out of that loft in less than one day in the middle of a snowstorm. Actually, no one's mobility was at all affected by the snow.

Daniel sure is making it easy for Emanda to work him over guilt free, isn't she? I keep waiting for her self control to snap the next time he throws a little fit, instead of the calm "Daniel, what are you talking about?", placations and reassurances. Interesting too, to have the Clarke half sisters both pinning the guys trying to help them by the throat in pretty much the exact same way. First act of violence we've seen from little sis Charlotte, right?

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Well, at least in introducing the White Haired Man (Bill Buchanon!) they are starting to address one of the things that had been left hanging - just who did blow up the plane? We know they had a connection to Grayson Global (and it wasn't David Clark), but it would be nice to get some indication of who it was and why they did it (I'd actually assumed it was some sort of vague "We're not going to say muslim in case that affects our sales overseas" religious fundamentalists).

I have no idea what Daniel is actually doing or what he thinks. Maybe he's playing his dad/his mom/Emanda/all of them, but it doesn't seem terribly consistent with the way Daniel's been portrayed. It seems more likely that Conrad has convinced him that it's all a frame up job by somebody to bring down the family and that Daniel has to step up to protect the company and his family (I'd be interested to know how much truth he actually revealed to get that accross). Also liked the fact that despite disowning Charlotte, he does still retain feelings for her (or at least, can sufficiently fake them when it comes to convincing his son!)

While Charlotte is becoming less likeable as the series goes on, I can just about see her as a future avenging angel with her own Revengenda (not sure against who) and with Emanda as her sensei. Contrived perhaps, but it would allow them to keep most of the same cast (I have no idea what's happening in S2)

theLuckyLyn Victoria screwing over Ashley's career prospects was an unnecessarily stupid move. Ashley wasn't Victoria's friend, but she wasn't an enemy either. Ashley saw Victoria as a stepping stone. Now, Victoria's given Ashley a reason to hate her.

Exactly! She's meant to be a master manipulator, but that was just cack handed. Don't make enemies where you don't need to (and if you can't avoid making enemies - utterly destroy them). Though Ashley scarcely helped herself by trying to justify her actions.

Exzim Love 'Shotgun Aunt'. First person on television not to be immediately fooled by phony documentation. 'The Good Wife' should take note.

Emanda was very lucky it turned out to be Nolan's aunt or she could have got into serious trouble there.

Brothertonbanks Don't the henchpeople ever get together and compare notes on what happens when you work for the Graysons. You'd think they would at least contact their union rep.

Only in Austin Powers!

Bella Why the hell is she dragging this shit out? Why the hell marry Daniel? She could get revenge on the Graysons, take down their empire, and financially cripple them without marrying into the family.
Metaphyscist Amanda's story is a reworking of The Count of Monte Cristo. Dumas's (anti) hero didn't just ruin his enemies, he destroyed them, and also let them know in the end it was he behind their destruction.

Yes, and Edward Dantes (Danton? I forget) took his damn sweet time over it too! I gave up on The Count of Monte Cristo about halfway through (I think it was over a thousand pages) because he couldn't just get to the point of taking revenge on his enemies, he had to make a damn theatrical performance out of it. I think it was the point where he managed to manoeuvre one of his enemies into an underground cave and I thought "Ah! He's going to leave him there to rot just like Edward was left in the jail!" which would have been poetic justice - but he doesn't, as that just wouldn't be convoluted enough.