1-19: "Absolution" 2012.05.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

109 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

From ABC Medianet:

"Absolution" - The impending release of Daniel has everyone on edge as the press grows more and more hostile; the SEC begin their investigation on Grayson Global; and Emily discovers a new photo taken of her father on the day of his death, leading her to more clues about how he died -- and also to a mystery woman and an ominous new target -- on "Revenge," WEDNESDAY, MAY 2 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Did Emanda leave the rose on David's grave as part of a plan? If not, then she is really stupid. Way to draw attention to the fact that someone cares about David Clarke.

sweetpd7

sweetpd7

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

Why does Emily have to marry Daniel and find out the identity of her father's killer? At this is what she told Nolan she would do. Daniel seemed to have a soul and be unlike his parents. At first I thought helping his father was like Nolan covering for his Aunt, done in the name of family. But then Daniel sat behind his father's desk and looked so pleased with himself. It wasn't to stand by his father, but to hold onto the Grayson legacy and money. I am disappointed in him!

TorontoFan

TorontoFan

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

When Victoria took Charlotte off on a visit, I thought she would be taking her to some sort of rehab program. Silly me...that would be a maternal and normal thing for a mother to do upon hearing how badly her child was abusing drugs. What kind of a prep school waits until the next day to tell the parents that the kid has been suspended. Especially one involving illegal drug use.

Loved how they had Nolan jump in with his checkbook to keep Declan in school. Anything for his surrogate little brother.

Was James Morrison (AKA Bill Buchanan of 24 fame) as David's killer? Didn't watch the credits, so not sure.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

Well, at least we get to know a little bit more about Nolan. That's cool.

So, did Conrad actually tell Daniel about David Clarke or did he figure out his house had been bugged and maybe played Emily? TV shows like this have always gotten me suspicious of what's not shown and since we only heard Conrad say shut the door to Daniel before launching into the story while Emily was eavsedropping...yeah, I'm definitely overthinking this. But if it is true, then I guess I am happy that Conrad told him the truth. Even if he's still skeazy and evil, at least he had the balls to tell his son. Although I wonder what he wanted to accomplish with the truth. Does he think that Daniel will immediately be by his side after hearing about all that he's done?

Wow, Charlotte is truly like her mother. You can tell she's pissed but it's at the wrong person. She shouldn't take her anger out on Declan because it's clear to me that she's not angry at him, but at something else. Probably everything else messed up in her life and Declan just made it worse.

Daniel, what are you doing? I hope it's part of some plan that he's cooking up. Maybe he's gonna use his status as Conrad's partner to expose his father's lies and get the proof that he needs to get him put in jail. But this is Daniel we're talking about. I mean, unless we've been decieved all along and Daniel is actually a super genius who has everything figured out and has a longer con being played against his family and Emily, then I don't know what Daniel's motives for all of this are. Maybe I'm just an idiot and need to rewatch to figure it out. I'm sure there are people who have already figured it out.

bergh

bergh

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I was looking for Daniel's expression when he sat in his father's chair and couldn't tell what he was thinking. I can't see this character, after all he's gone through, suddenly overnight wanting to be the CEO of his family company. Just seems like there's some kind of motivation behind it that we're not being told. Maybe he looked around at his family and thought he would protect them as much as they could. Maybe he looked at Amanda and thought he doesn't want her to marry into his sicko family, so he's choosing the path that will lead towards a breakup.

I thought this show was going towards Amanda and Daniel ultimately ending up together, kind of like a twisted ironic love story. I'd be disappointed if they're going to turn Daniel into a copycat of his father and let Amanda choose Jack, the guy with the weird childhood obsession.

Edited by bergh, May 2, 2012 @ 10:36 PM.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

I liked quite a bit in the episode. Finally decided to add my thoughts, after reading so many interesting takes this season. You guys are great!

I liked Jack in the beginning of the season, now, not so much. He's an idiot. I don't care about him nor his silly brother. Porter family is not made of win.
They are just stick to the bar and stay out of major storylines. I vehemently do NOT want Jack and Amanda together. At. All.

But Nolan is made of win and cotton candy. He's why I keep coming back. He has heart and a conscience and just wants to do the right thing. I liked the introduction of his aunt carol. It added an additional dimension to his character. This is for David Clarke but also for his aunt, his family. I like that he has someone who loves him.

I still can't decide which side of the fence I fall on for Amanda. I'm completely with her on punishing the slimy Grayson's but sometimes I watch her and, I don't know. Maybe it's her acting choices? I agree with poster upthread, why does she have to marry into the family? Unless her revenge scheme would be all the sweeter to destroy them from the inside out. Daniel, siding with Daddy, I think just put a target on your back too. Amanda looked non to pleased. Unless he has something up his own sleeve. Grayson money is a lot to give up. I don't fault him for not flipping the table over and storming out forever. Let's think this through.
I could see Amanda leaving the rose at he dads grave. There probably aren't a lot of visitors stopping by. So not sure that it was sloppy on her part.

Maybe we'll see more of the Ashley story next season, right now she's a yawn, and she's crawling in bed with the Graysons too, so that can't end well for her. Damn where's a guy anywhere in my life who's buying me a brand new Lexus? The price? My eternal soul....well...now what colors does it come in...I'll miss Courtney B Vance. Hope one of them does something and he has to come back.

Victoria trying to be a mother. Glad she's not mine, but that's all the Charlotte has got. I just wish MS face would move more, i am riveted watching her. Maybe this will be a way for them to build a real relationship.

Can't wait to read the rest of the posts when I get to work ( TWOP and Twitter how I look busy during the work day) the insights you have and the discussions that spring up! Love it!

Edited by msani19, May 2, 2012 @ 10:44 PM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

All of this is so contrived. Emanda has Conrad on tape confessing to Daniel what Conrad and Vic did to David. Emanda could easily pull another 'Hamptons Exposed' situation and have all her secret recordings of the Graysons go viral on the internet. It would be a huge downfall of the Graysons particulally after Daniel's interview and the SEC investigation. She doesn't need to marry Daniel to find out who killed her father or other info pertaining to her father's murder and cover-up because as we've seen so far, she has gathered ample info already... all of which she gathered WITHOUT being married to Daniel!

This whole damn thing could be over and done with. Why the hell is she dragging this shit out? Why the hell marry Daniel? She could get revenge on the Graysons, take down their empire, and financially cripple them without marrying into the family. She must be a stupid masochist. She needs to just get revenge now and move on with her life. She is drawing attention to herself and the fact that there is at least one person that cares deeply for David. Why the hell would she take on a new identity only to make mistakes that would lead the Graysons right to her? She is perfect for Daniel because they are both morons!

Speaking of morons, way to go Jack, you confess to Daniel it was your hoodie with Tyler's blood on it and you dragged his body and left the scene. So the very dangerous family that you want to protect Declan from, you give them all the ammo they need to screw you over! Jack, Emanda, and Daniel need to just have a ménage à trois. They are all perfect for each other...idiots, the whole lot of them!

evalusion

evalusion

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

The pacing was finally back this week, so I can forgive the show some of its leaps in logic. I love angry/wounded Emily, so in that sense the show the turn took was great, but I don't really understand Daniel's deal here, unless at this point he's so angry at his mother that to take her down he's willing to side with Conrad knowing he's evil (or unless Conrad has told him some BS story that it was all Victoria's doing and he only found out about it when it was too late to undo it, but I didn't get that vibe from the scene.)

Nolan, though, is made of win. And I sort of like Ashley now that she's officially team darkside. Much more interesting character than when she was moping around Tyler and kissing up to Victoria.

Magsi2

Magsi2

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel.....what happened to the trust conversation you just had with your buddy Jack? LOL He won't know what hit him when Emanda's finished! QV actually seemed somewhat human with Charlotte, but I really thought her adventures would be to a rehab facility, not a cemetery.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

I could see Amanda leaving the rose at he dads grave. There probably aren't a lot of visitors stopping by. So not sure that it was sloppy on her part.

I regard it as sloppy because Emanda knows that Vic loved her father. It would stand to reason that Vic at some point may try to visit his grave. Emanda, if she truly wanted to be undercover with this new identity, should NEVER leave anything behind to trace back to her true identity. That includes never visiting his grave and never leaving flowers there as well. She can mourn her father without visiting his grave. It was sloppy, imo. She failed basic spy 101!

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

I was glad to have the Nolan, Aunt Carol, David Clark connection made clear. I am fine with getting more background on Nolan... writers - any time you want to go that way...they made it clear that Aunt Carol and David filled a parental void for Nolan.

The fact that David's killer was a U.S. Marshall who can move around the prison system and law enforcement records freely means he's going to be hard to take down without jeopardizing Aunt Carol. He sounds like he's potentially an arms trafficker. The thing is they named a Grayson Global Senior Accountant who Emanda doesn't seem to be targeting, and they'll revisit that. I suspect eventually David's defense attorney the one who was serving as Victoria's first divorce lawyer/ Emanda's mole may come back into the mix.

So Daniel is his DNA, I don't know that Emanda has to marry him - but it does mean that Emanda will perhaps be more inclined to add him to the list of people she takes down before its all over, or content with him becoming collateral damage. He knows the truth and has decided its perfectly acceptable for everything thing he has to be born out of terrorist plot his father financed and framing an innocent man for it who was then brutally disposed of, or he knows and he's made a choice. And an aside, its almost touching and certainly good writing that Conrad made Daniel promise to take care of his sister. I do find it funny that Daniel made Emily promise to be truthful to him and swore he would do the same when they first started dating..... I am waiting for that clip to surface in a flashback montage during the wedding episode.

Bella, ITA - I am actually worried about Jack. I thought it was particularly naive of Jack to tell Daniel, Declan perjured himself. Mutually assured destruction for all of them to reveal it, but it means at some point Daniel will determine Jack knows too much, between this and his suspicion that something his going on between Jack and Emanda, I don't think that will remain quiet.

ETA: Right after the interview, Daniel had his version of the devious/deadeyes look Emanda has had. Like when she hugged him after he told her David Clark raped Victoria.

Edited by name234, May 2, 2012 @ 11:06 PM.

Syma

Syma

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

It's sad that Daniel picked his family over telling the truth, especially since it means that he is now dead to Emily, but it makes sense, because they had to figure out a way to make his character be more ie than the dumb guy, who is being manipulated by everyone in his life. I guess now we'll see Emily and Jack being presented as a real couple, since I never saw signs of the triangle that the actors, producers and writers are always talking about.

Maybe the producers will take a surprising route, and not ruin Daniel. They could have him work undercover to bring his parents to justice, but in a way that he can protect the business and his sister. Nah, they are going to turn this into a Daniel versus Emily.

Edited by Syma, May 2, 2012 @ 11:14 PM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

I am actually worried about Jack. I thought it was particularly naive of Jack to tell Daniel, Declan perjured himself. Mutually assured destruction for all of them to reveal it, but it means at some point Daniel will determine Jack knows too much, between this and his suspicion that something his going on between Jack and Emanda, I don't think that will remain quiet.

Daniel might try and get Jack arrested for Tyler's murder because Daniel may feel like Jack was willing to let Daniel take the fall for it. I can easily see Daniel retaliating and getting Jack locked up for the murder as both payback and to keep Jack from Emanda. Daniel is very jealous and threatened by Jack's friendship with Emanda.

ETA: Because Tyler and Lee are different people. Lol!

Edited by Bella, May 2, 2012 @ 11:34 PM.

sweetpd7

sweetpd7

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

Daniel has been entreated by his farher to watch over Charlotte. How hypocritical of them both. Charlotte wants to know about her father and find out that he's not a terrorist. Conrad and David will work it so tha she doesn't. I'm hoping that Daniel is going to stay away from Darth Vader.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Did Emanda leave the rose on David's grave as part of a plan? If not, then she is really stupid. Way to draw attention to the fact that someone cares about David Clarke.

Would that be so surprising? They'd think of Amily first, I think.

Grayson money is a lot to give up. I don't fault him for not flipping the table over and storming out forever. Let's think this through.

Daniel was so willing and eager to do it not that long ago at the engagement party.

Speaking of morons, way to go Jack, you confess to Daniel it was your hoodie with Tyler's blood on it and you dragged his body and left the scene.

Unless Jack is planning on repeating that story to the cops or something, I don't think Daniel would be able to prove it. Lee already confessed and there's no real explanation for why the hoodie ended up in Lee's car.

Daniel might try and get Jack arrested for Lee's murder

He can try. Since Lee "committed suicide" in prison and Jack was clearly never at the prison, I don't think he'd be very successful. That's not to say he can't find something else to frame him with.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

He can try. Since Lee "committed suicide" in prison and Jack was clearly never at the prison, I don't think he'd be very successful. That's not to say he can't find something else to frame him with.

Oops! I meant to say arrested for Tyler's murder.

ETA: I need to go edit my previous post to say Tyler's name instead. Ugh. It's been a long night.

Edited by Bella, May 2, 2012 @ 11:33 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Daniel will have plenty of money if he marries Emanda. He is also perfectly capable of working for money, if he wants to live like an honest person. If he's really going to side with Conrad, I don't think it can be about money. My hope is that he's a mole, and planning to find evidence to help the prosecution. It's such a radical, out of character, move for him to suddenly side with the evil BS, that if they've really chosen to change his personality to that degree, I think it's just crappy writing.

I agree that a lot of characters are acting randomly stupid, though, so it's possible that the show really is that sloppy.

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

Every week my love of Gabriel Mann grows.

Favorite scene this week? When Emanda calls Nolan from his house and busts him with the missing journal. Loved it!

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Favorite scene this week? When Emanda calls Nolan from his house and busts him with the missing journal. Loved it!

Nolan needs to install an Emanda proof security system in his house and he needs to bring back Big Ed.

ETA: Nolan needs to check that bitch about jacking him up and threatening him. I'm so sick of him allowing her to physically abuse him.

Edited by Bella, May 3, 2012 @ 12:13 AM.

Syma

Syma

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

ETA: Nolan needs to check that bitch about jacking him up and threatening him. I'm so sick of him allowing her to physically abuse him.

The funny thing about that is that the vast majority of her revenge plans have depended on him helping her out. Sometimes I wonder how did she initially plan to pull any of her plans off, when she didn't know that he was around.

regardez

regardez

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:36 AM

What a great episode. It always makes me wish I was watching this on DVD so I could watch the next episode immediately afterward.

Love that Ashley is going to get her hands dirtier.

I'm with the group that thinks Daniel is going to con his family. There's no way he would be a 180. I am sure all of what his father did disgusted him. But knowing all that, he probably knows his family would throw him under a bus too. He has to be smart about it. I would love if the show ended with him know who Emanda really is and them both loving each other. Although that would be kind of weird for Charlotte

I don't think Emanda was being sloppy with the rose. She always has a plan.

Declan is well meaning, but stupid in the way he does things. At the trial he could have said it was dark and he couldn't see anyone, but it doesn't necessarily mean there was or wasn't someone on the beach. With Charlotte's drug use he could have talked to the school counselor and had her bring her in privately, not a big scene. He has a good heart but his application is horrible.

Nolan's aunt reminds me that we haven't met Aunt Charlotte. More to look forward to. Haha, I would love the return of Big Ed.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

Loved getting more back story on Nolan individually as well as his relationship with David. It wasn't until tonight, when we actually learned something that I realized we knew the least about him of all of the central characters. (I guess we know less about Ashley, but I don't considered her central.) And I kinda love Aunt Carol and her shot-gun interrogation methods.

I do not love this sudden turn with Daniel's character; unless, it is that he has his own con on his family unaware that it's running parallel to, or possibly destined to collide with, Emanda's plot.

If that were the case, the character would change would be the sudden growth of a brain. Which would still be OOC for his dim, pretty self, but in a way I can appreciate. I like the idea of him getting smarter; I do not like the idea of him getting played by Conrad with some Family First/ Your Mother is the Devil spiel and/or that Daniel has suddenly lost all of his previously implied soul and conscience.

Edited by RachelKM, May 3, 2012 @ 1:41 AM.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

Emanda's hair extensions were driving me crazy. Thy took me out of every scene she was in because they were so stiff and didn't match her real hair. Did EVC cut her hair in life? Or are the stylists trying to depict four months without a visit to the salon (since she is so focused on revenge...).

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:05 AM

I would love for Daniel to be running a con on his parents. I just hope if that's the case, that he immediately tells Emanda his plan. It would be awful if he didn't and she destroyed Daniel not realizing he wanted to bring his own family down for their evil wrongdoings.

lcomp

lcomp

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:39 AM

Daniel clearly knows everything now as Emanda told Nolan that this was the case. The sad thing is that there seemed to be real pain and disappointment in Emanda's eyes when he was going all team Grayson in the interview. She probably expected him to come clean. So far his character development has not lead us to expect that this would be impossible. This is the same person who was about to confess to everything while in jail because he felt he had let Emanda down. The same person who feels disgusted with far less than what Conrad has admitted to.

For now, i will suspend judgment on whether Daniel has gone evil. It seems that he may be playing for more time and access to verify everything himslef and find out what really happened. He has been given Conrad's version but he was still asking for Victoria's. Maybe he cannot throw his whole family under the bus like that without being sure of where innocence or guilt really lies. then there is the collateral damage to think of (e.g. Charlotte). Moreover, he may wish to secure as much of the Grayson fortune in his hands before turning on QV and Conrad. Despite everything, for the most part, Grayson has been a legitimate business and there is no point to destroying it as well. The most ironic would be if he believes what Victoria told him at the engagement party (i.e. that Emily would never give up the Grayson name and all that it brings) and feels that he must keep these to have a good chance with her.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

Emanda's hair extensions were driving me crazy. Thy took me out of every scene she was in because they were so stiff and didn't match her real hair. Did EVC cut her hair in life? Or are the stylists trying to depict four months without a visit to the salon (since she is so focused on revenge...).

Generally, I thought she looked stressed and sad, which I thought was appropriate. (I didn't notice the extensions for some reason.) She just managed to get Daniel out of jail and Jack off the hock, but you can see the information about her father's murder shocked her (tho it shouldn't have, IMO) and at this moment she's not really any closer to achieving her ultimate revenge. Plus emotionally she is more out in the cold than ever, even though it's her own doing. She's recommitted to Daniel, whom she cares about but doesn't really love, she can't be honest with Jack about who she is, and she can't really help Charlotte as long as she's pretending to be someone else. I'd be tired, stressed, and sad if I were her, even though so much is self-inflicted.

Edited by BBDi, May 3, 2012 @ 7:56 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

I absolutely loved this episode to bits.

A backstory for Nolan - excellent. I loved that part of the reason why he hasn't been completely straightforward with Emily was because he was protecting his aunt Carole. I cannot blame him and even Emily couldn't either when she realised why he withheld the other journal from him.

This was definitely a good episode for Nolan and I hope we do see more of Carole too in the next few episodes as well. Emily realised that the Graysons haven't just affected her life as well.

I'm a little shocked after being told everything by Conrad that Daniel stuck by him but perhaps there's more to this one as well.

Victoria tried to ruin Conrad in this episode but I like that he's fighting back a bit by getting Ashley on side as well.

Charlotte being kicked out of school better mean we don't see Adam again, what a boring character he is. I did like both Charlotte and Victoria visiting David's grave as well.

Emily left a rose there, was it sloppy? Maybe, but it was nice that she did it.

How gorgeous does this show look with a snowy backdrop? The last two episodes in particular have looked visually beautiful IMO.

Jack was foolish by confessing everything to Daniel. It's going to blow up in his face like Declan trying to help Charlotte did.

Next week's episode looks amazing, 10/10.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

So, did Conrad actually tell Daniel about David Clarke or did he figure out his house had been bugged and maybe played Emily? TV shows like this have always gotten me suspicious of what's not shown and since we only heard Conrad say shut the door to Daniel before launching into the story while Emily was eavsedropping...yeah, I'm definitely overthinking this.

As disappointed as I am in Daniel for apparently going with his father, I can't stop thinking that there's going on. we Wever actually SAW Conrad's confession to Daniel. It just seems weird for Daniel to do a complete 180 after being so disgusted with Victoria setting him up for a beating and pinning the murder of the thug. What version of the story did Conrad tell Daniel. I hope we find out soon.

Great episode. Was shocked by Nolan's Aunt Carol.

And I'll just come right out and ask it: does Emanda have a fake ID for every state? Girl collects them like Beanie Babies.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

I loved the scene with Homeland Security Emanda at Aunt Carol’s house. Auntie holding a shotgun on Emanda was a shock, then Nolan barreling downstairs was a great reveal. Then Emanda forgiving him for the deception because he was protecting family, the one thing that would touch her cold, cold heart.

Danny boy seems to have painted a big ol’ bull’s-eye right in the middle of his forehead. Selling the family line on national TV was a good way to relieve Emanda of any qualms she might have had about using him as a pawn (or maybe rook) in her Revengenda. I also wondered if he was playing a long-con, but his characterization so far has been as a dim-wit, so I doubt it. I agree with the posters above that either option is OOC.

Ashley’s a smarmy git. Of course she’d go work for Grayson Global. Just wave a new car in her face and she’s yours. The Lexus Product Placement was so egregious I thought I was watching The Vampire Diaries for a moment. I’m surprised Conrad didn’t start extolling the features like XM radio and a built in navigation system.

Directing / scene construction question: what was up with all the mirrors? I noticed several places where the scene would end with the camera watching some character(s) reflection(s) in a mirror. I’m sure it was supposed to be symbolic of something, but it went right over my head.