TRON: Uprising

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

28 replies to this topic

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Disney XD delves inside the computer world of The Grid and the people who live there with "TRON: Uprising," a visually striking new animated television series that follows the heroic journey of a new character, a young program named Beck, who becomes the unlikely leader of a revolution. The series, produced in CG animation with a 2D aesthetic, is set in the era of "TRON" between the stories in the 1982 feature film and Walt Disney Studios' "TRON: Legacy."

"TRON: Uprising" stars Elijah Wood as Beck, Bruce Boxleitner as Tron, Mandy Moore as Mara, Emmanuelle Chriqui as Paige, Nate Corddry as Zed, Lance Henriksen as General Tesler, Reginald VelJohnson as Able, Paul Reubens as Pavel and Tricia Helfer as The Grid.

Produced by Disney Television Animation, the series is executive-produced and directed by Charlie Bean ("Robotboy," "Samurai Jack" and "Powerpuff Girls") with Edward Kitsis, Adam Horowitz (both screenwriters of "TRON: Legacy" / executive producers of ABC's "Lost" and "Once Upon a Time") and Justin Springer (co-producer of "TRON: Legacy") as consulting producers. The music is composed by Joseph Trapanese ("TRON: Legacy").

Disney Channel will present "TRON: Uprising, Beck's Beginning," a 30-minute uninterrupted prelude to the series on FRIDAY, MAY 18 (9:30-10:00 p.m., ET/PT). The special will encore uninterrupted on Disney XD on MONDAY, MAY 21(7:00 p.m. ET/PT), followed by the series launch on THURSDAY, JUNE 7 (9:00 p.m.) on Disney XD.

"TRON: Uprising, Beck's Beginning" introduces Beck, a young mechanic living in Argon City, a growing metropolis in a far off corner of The Grid that has just been occupied by General Tesler, a henchman of the notorious Clu. After his best friend Bodhi is ruthlessly derezzed by Clu's army, Beck seeks justice for his lost friend and launches a crusade against the regime. His rebellion captures the attention of Tron, the greatest warrior The Grid has ever known, who sees the potential in Beck and trains him to be his successor. Labeled with the moniker of The Renegade, Beck sparks a revolution to fight for the freedom of The Grid.

More info about the prelude being released on OnDemand, YouTube, and iTunes before the DisneyXD premiere at the link.
Source.

Trailer.

stekkin

stekkin

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, manga, etc.

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

In a word: awesome! I've been looking forward to this ever since I saw the preview on the Tron: Legacy DVD. I am definitely going to see it. ;)

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

Prelude now on Youtube. And on iTunes.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

Saw the preview, and while the visuals were well done, I still felt a little cold towards it. Maybe I'll have to catch two or three eps to get a better feel for it.

Tron's character design looked like stiff computer animation; presumably because he is rather "old" by program standards. It was nice to hear Bruce Boxleitner's voice again, although his voice sounds much deeper than I remember it.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

It's now in the XD ondemand menu too. And I agree with you, magicdog--the graphics look great, but there's a sterility. It doesn't help that the story begins in medias res with a character that could be a placeholder. I didn't find Beck one bit interesting until the events on the train and actually spent the first 15 minutes distracted by his Converse-esque feet. I'll watch more eps, just for the visuals and music, though. Glad the Daft Punk influence remains.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

Watched the prelude last night with my boyfriend and... it's okay. Agreed that it all feels a little sterile. There's nothing visually exciting happening outside neon reds and blues, and I think that's what makes it so cold. I get that that's always been TRON and its visuals, but still. I also found Beck's legs to be unusually long. Like, distractingly long.

Anyway, I'll watch the new series as long as I remember it's on.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

I watched the first episode OnDemand.

This is an prequel to the second movie, right? So we know that Beck ultimately fails, 'cause I sure don't remember this guy showing up or being mentioned in the movie. It almost seems futile.

I thought the animation looked horrendous as well.

stekkin

stekkin

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, manga, etc.

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Yeah, it's a prequel, and like most prequels, we already know what's going to happen (SEE: "Star Wars I-III", "Underworld: ROTL", etc.). But we can't just look away, either; or at least, I can't. I've seen the first episode on YouTube...and I want more! ;)

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

It's almost too stylized, but I did like the animation and character designs. I was about to complain about it being a little too action-packed; but when they show a character just being still, it looks a bit dead, so maybe that's a good thing.

I wonder how many episodes this has?

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

New episodes start tonight on Disney XD.

---
Yeah, it looks like this is going to be mainly action. Not necessarily a bad thing. It's a kid's show, but they definitely seem to be aiming for a more mature audience. Well, none of the characters are kids anyway.

DualWolf

DualWolf

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I do get a tween feel for the intended audience. Violence, but against programs not people so not too violent to turn off parents. Action over deep character stories (based on first two episodes for now) to keep attention. Like Trini Girl said, not a bad thing but do hope TPTB realize its audience will mature over the run of the show even if only a few seasons.

Interested in how the series will match up with the movie concerning Tron while letting Beck be the hero.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Well. That was rote. It really did seem to be working off a teen-show checklist: action, check, sports, check, cool motorcycle, check, cute new girl, check, young hero oddly smarter than battle vet, check...the list goes on. The only sign of life I noticed was when the guy had to choose between his friend and the new girl, and he chose attraction over friendship.

The visuals still look great, especially in a darkened room. Maybe next time I'll watch it without the sound, so I can just enjoy the imagery without being bored by the rest of it.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I thought the most recent episode was the best one yet.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

Meh. The show's gorgeous, the voices are great, but I still have problems with the "awkward best friend gets in trouble" sideplots.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

I'm still watching and enjoying this. It reminds me of ReBoot.

One issue I have is that there seems they only have 3 pieces of music to choose from for the score.

... but I still have problems with the "awkward best friend gets in trouble" sideplots.

Yeah; they need to show Beck with his (supposed) friends instead of them always off in separate plots.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

Huh; I'm surprised Quorra showed up. I would have thought they'd keep the main characters from the movie out. Or at least save them for later. They really got Olivia Wilde's likeness down.

Edited by Trini Girl, Jul 6, 2012 @ 6:43 PM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

A couple of reports from the ComicCon panel: Collider; IGN.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

I marathoned the last few eps. ondemand and am still enjoying the look of things, but not the plot. The Tron world is (was) no unique, and unique-looking, that I want the story to have some of that creativity too. IGN.com actually summed up my criticism in a recent review:

Although it doesn't look like anything we've ever seen on television before, many of the story tropes so far have been, shall we say, less than original. In the last three episodes we've had a hero learning the virtue of self sacrifice, a classic case of amnesia and now the Enemy Mine story of two adversaries (in this instance, Beck and Paige) forced to find common ground when stranded together in a hostile environment. It's all been done before, and 22 minutes doesn't allow for much depth.

I am liking Paul Reuben's character Pavel, though. He's managing to be evil and cartoonishly humorous, which I appreciate, since some of the other characters are so...flat.

Oh, and did the designers not notice that Tessler's base (ship?) is a phallic symbol? With a small penis, no less.

DualWolf

DualWolf

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

To update; TRON: Uprising is now airing Sunday night/Monday morning at midnight followed by Motorcity.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

That's a hell of a time to put it.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Those seem to be reruns. The eps listed in the channel guide have been OnDemand since November, I think. At least in my area.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

The one I saw last night was a new episode. There was apparently another new episode before it.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Aaron Paul was a guest voice again in the last episode. That's a great get for them.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

So that character was in an earlier ep.? How quickly I forget.

This ep. (The Stranger) was the best-looking yet, which is really saying something on this show. As homages to 2001: A Space Odyssey go it managed to be interesting--I appreciated this. I also for the first time liked the bickering between Able and Tron. Turns out they were the characters that needed to verbally spar, not Beck's whiny friends.

Now if only they could write a plot point not used by...every other show! Or at least use them in an unexpected way. Come on, show.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

I didn't realize Paul was the voice of that guy who saved Tron in Scars, Part II. He jumped off the plane with Tron and Tron apparently trained him as the first Renegade.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 12:32 AM

Just saw the latest episode of Tron Uprising. Awesome, epic episode featuring the return of the great Aaron Paul.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

Last night's episode, plus this tweet from executive producer Charlie Bean, certainly appears to equal end of line for this show. Oh, DC...the lack of advertising probably telegraphed your intent, but exiling it to a midnight death slot on top of that (to be fair, they also shoved Motorcity off the same way) just smacks of "wanting to put a bullet in it."

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 3:37 PM

Caught up on the last 6 eps on demand this weekend...turns out they're some of the best of the series.

1.15 - Welcome Home. I feel like the show finally grows up with the ending. It's been a lot more focused (and less episodic-teen-show) since Scars, but the plots finally have actual dramatic weight. And the train explosion was awesome.

1.17 - No Bounds. Wow! Aaron Paul was outstanding. He really is a damn fine voice actor. Unfortunate pattern of killing off the interesting guest stars, though.

1.18 - Terminal. A decent but rushed finale. Some meaty character moments for Beck, at least.

A few more eps would've been nice, since the graphics were so interesting, but it's no surprise that it's cancelled. As early as last summer I remember thinking that it was a bad sign that Tron was on its 3rd time slot.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 12:24 AM

It's really too bad this show got canceled. It had gotten so good as it went on. Not advertising for it didn't help and I can barely find any reviews for the recent episodes. I only hope Tron Uprising gets a Blu-ray release down the line.

I wish there would be more episodes down the line because there's still a lot of story left to tell.