3-18: "Choke" 2012.05.01 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

260 replies to this topic

SinkWriter72

SinkWriter72

Fanatic

• Interests:Music, movies, reading (and writing) fiction. To quote director Steven Soderbergh: "I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music -- anybody who spends part of their day sharing their experience with us. I think this world would be unlivable without art ..."

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I would really prefer to ignore every aspect of this episode except for how Chris Colfer looked in those gold pants because... damn. Let's not discuss how many times I've watched that performance.

I just finished listening to that song again (Not The Boy Next Door). That final note is still really killer. Great job, Chris Colfer. (And yeah, Chris Colfer + gold pants + hip circles = hot. It just is.)

Edited by SinkWriter72, May 4, 2012 @ 10:10 PM.

Breath We Drew

Breath We Drew

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

The one thing that irritated me about Finn holding Rachel as she cried, was that where was the equivalent scene for Kurt and Blaine when he got blinded? No, Kurt can't possibly embrace his boyfriend in bed, he has to sit 2 metres away holding his hand as Finchel babysat them. Can you imagine how ridiculous that Finchel scene (this episode) would be if Finn only held her hand as he sat as far away as humanly possible whilst Kurt and Blaine were also present singing a rat song to her?

Or where was the scene with Brittany comforting her girlfriend Santana when she was outed to the whole state? Oh yeah the show didn't even have any Brittany and Santana scenes that episode. They sure had plenty of Finn the great hero who outed her and Santana scenes though. Le sigh.

Ranwing

Ranwing

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

She also had a plan b-way, the West End and lifetime biography.

Rachel might have had a "plan" but it wasn't one grounded in reality. Rachel was engaged in a lot of magical thinking that if things fell the way she expected them to, then it would natural fall that she would have a quick road to success. That seemed to be behind so much of her pre-audition prep. Again, we see no actual rehearsal ([I don’tt think that] because we didn't see her her rehersing doesn't mean that she wasn't - not when the show was showing how diligently Kurt was rehersing) and more over the top affirmations that she's wonderful and she's going to be a star. As if she thought that if she told herself this often enough and believed it hard enough that it would just happen.

It's also interesting that when Rachel envisioned the roadblocks standing between her and inevitable stardom, they were either external (murderous stalker) or the absurd (menstrual bloat). Because in Rachel's mind, it would take something rediculous to prevent her from acheiving what she felt was hers by destiny. She could never allow herself to believe that she herself might faulter on her path to stardom, or that her talent might fall short. It's more evidence that her dreams were in no way rooted in the realty of what the theater world is like. She seemed to believe that all she had to do was open her mouth and everyone around her would just fall under the spell of her voice. At McKinely, that worked more often than not. But dealing with Carmen Tibideaux was something very new for Rachel to deal with - somone who had seen girls like Rachel hundreds of times in her career and wasn't just going to fall sway to her. This was someone who was going to be very critical and would be looking for the least flaw and wasn't going to grant any leeway. This was something that Rachel was not well-equiped to handle mentally, and in the end, that was what mattered. The pressure of being judged critically got to Rachel, and when she made a mistake, was so frazzeled that she wasn't able to recover.

The whole only one college is a plot point only.

I don't think so, at least not to Rachel. Not given the way Shelby had described NYADA and the fact that she wasn't ever able to beat NYADA graduates out for roles. Rachel had it pretty clearly established early on that NYADA was the highest ranked school out of all possible theater-based schools in her chosen city. And Rachel, in her mind, is the most talented student so it was natural that she would be accepted into the most selective and prestigious school. For Rachel this was the ultimate validation of how she viewed her talent. If she got into NYADA, that would certainly mean that she realy was that talented and her destiny as a great star was all but assured. Going to Tisch or Julliard would be a major step down for Rachel (which is why she no longer entertained other options). For a talent as great as Rachel saw herself, only NYADA was worthy of her.

Hopefully, after an expected period of Rachel completely giving up on her dream (since she is a complete all or nothing personality), Rachel will emerge with a more grounded set of aspirations and be more mentally equipped to handle them.

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 5, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.
"Sorry, but" is dismissive

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

[I don’t think] that because we didn't see her her rehersing doesn't mean that she wasn't - not when the show was showing how diligently Kurt was rehersing

Well, we saw Kurt practice his "Not the Boy Next Door" number for a whooping zero seconds but I still assume he did. I'm going to assume the same of Rachel. With her work ethic I can't but be 100% sure she came well prepared to her audition.

And NYADA wasn't her only option. She told someone (Finn?) like two episodes ago that she would be going to New York, whether or not she got to NYADA. Not to compare her to Kurt, but he decided in "I Am Unicorn" that since he didn't get that one role in a high school play he was doomed forever, and see where he is now? I'm sure Rachel will be able to pick herself back up from this major set back. If there's one clear charasteristic to Rachel is that she's not one to give up. She's worked on getting everyone in New Directions to be her friends since season one, even though everyone was awful to her. She worked on that damn original song for regionals for MONTHS, and came up with two different songs that weren't good enough but she kept pushing and in the end came up with something usable for regionals and got the solo. She's very determined, and I am absolutely 100% sure she's going to New York one way or another. (If she doesn't go completely season 3!Rachel, that is.)

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 5, 2012 @ 2:53 PM.
Quoted post was edited

SinkWriter72

SinkWriter72

Fanatic

• Interests:Music, movies, reading (and writing) fiction. To quote director Steven Soderbergh: "I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music -- anybody who spends part of their day sharing their experience with us. I think this world would be unlivable without art ..."

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

One thing I actually liked about Sue being the one to try to help Bieste was that you knew she was being sincere. It was unquestionable that she knew how serious a situation this was.

Yes, it's highly hypocritical for her character to talk about violence when she's got a huge temper and is often seen throwing stuff around and shoving people into lockers and punching out judges and knocking people down stairs. There's no denying that.

However, at the same time, I liked that for once we didn't see Sue being all mocking or sarcastic. She took the matter very, very seriously. What I liked best was that she addressed Bieste differently. She usually cracks rude, smart ass jokes about Bieste's eating habits or calls her John Goodman or whatever other burly man names. But in this episode, she looked Bieste straight in the eye and called her Shannon, and that was effective to me.

avis03

avis03

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

post deleted

Edited by avis03, May 7, 2012 @ 4:37 AM.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

• Interests:Blogging, shoes, literature, comics and graphic novels, TV shows, film, music, forensic and cultural anthropology, creative writing, photography, and reinvention.

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Thinking about it now I dont know if Will situation is actually that much more sympathetic than Cooters. Should Terri have walked away from Will the same way that We feel that Beiste should leave Cooter?

It is for me. For starters, Will didn't hit Terri. He got aggressive and scary, sure, but he had just found out that she'd lied to him about being pregnant knowing how much he wanted kids all so she could keep him in an emotionally abusive relationship he no longer wanted to be in. Cooter hit Beiste because she forgot to do dishes. I'd say the latter is definitely less sympathetic and is downright crazy. If Will can refrain from putting hands on his loon of a wife, Cooter could refrain from hitting his super sweet one.

avis03

avis03

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

post deleted

Edited by avis03, May 7, 2012 @ 4:37 AM.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

It is for me. For starters, Will didn't hit Terri. He got aggressive and scary, sure, but he had just found out that she'd lied to him about being pregnant knowing how much he wanted kids all so she could keep him in an emotionally abusive relationship he no longer wanted to be in. Cooter hit Beiste because she forgot to do dishes. I'd say the latter is definitely less sympathetic and is downright crazy. If Will can refrain from putting hands on his loon of a wife, Cooter could refrain from hitting his super sweet one.

Exactly. IMO, it would be unrealistic to expect Will to react by talking to Terri rationally. He had just discovered a HUGE betrayal. That situation was a heck of a lot more severe than just a bad argument.

Also, Will might have reacted a bit differently had Terri not lied to his face AGAIN once he found the pregnancy pad. Ordering her to lift up her shirt was the only way he could find out the truth once and for all. Will might have wanted to hit Terri, but the fact that he didn't means it wasn't domestic violence IMO.

The Beiste/Cooter situation is completely different. Beiste never did anything wrong, and Cooter actually DID hit her.

Edited by Sara2009, May 5, 2012 @ 5:19 PM.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

• Interests:Blogging, shoes, literature, comics and graphic novels, TV shows, film, music, forensic and cultural anthropology, creative writing, photography, and reinvention.

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

Right. Will reacted poorly, but he caught himself before he went too far and removed himself from the situation so that his justifiable anger wouldn't lead to much worse than a wrist grab. Cooter got pissed over something dumb and escalated the situation by lashing out physically. The two situations just don't seem comparable to me.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Personally, I thought Will showed a lot of integrity by NOT hitting Terri. His rage was completely understandable to me even though his reaction was scary. I don't think I would've bought a calm reaction to Terri's betrayal.

Cooter, on the other hand, can obviously not be trusted to not fly off the handle.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

And, just to be clear, I wasn't saying that Terri being psycho gave Will carte blanche (or any man with a nutter for a partner for that matter) to get violent with Terri. I was just pointing out that Terri did something extremely deceptive and hurtful and even in Will's heightened emotional state, he knew enough to get out and get calm before dealing with her again. Everyone gets angry, but it's how you deal with it that speaks to your character and Will showed that underneath all of that hair gel and buffoonery, he's a decent guy who reacted badly. I don't want anyone thinking I condone smacking around women when they're acting a fool.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

Oh I agree with you. I would never condone Will actually hitting Terri or any other woman.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Unless Will had a fight with Terri in some scene that I missed, that didnít happen in this episode, which makes it off-topic. Take it to another thread, please.

Sadie T

Sadie T

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Well, we saw Kurt practice his "Not the Boy Next Door" number for a whooping zero seconds but I still assume he did. I'm going to assume the same of Rachel. With her work ethic I can't but be 100% sure she came well prepared to her audition.

In the Whitney episode when Blaine is trying to convince Kurt to blow off Glee, he says Rachel is working on her NYADA audition piece. We know she does in fact show up at Glee so she obviously wasn't practicing at that exact moment, but Blaine's statement implies she was either practicing beforehand and/or that she had been practicing so often that Blaine just assumed that's what she was doing then. Either way, there's an allusion to her rehearsing so I too think it can be inferred she prepared for the audition. In regard to having seen Kurt's rehearse and not Rachel, well that's probably because plot-wise there's really no need to see Rachel rehearsing. She doesn't make any last minute changes and she performs a song she's already sung on the show, it'd frankly be a waste of time to see her practicing a song we know she can perform. When do we ever see the kids rehearsing unless there's a plot development during rehearsal or as a result of rehearsal? Which there was with Kurt, it was necessary to show him reach the conclusion that Phantom was "boring" and that he needed something "riskier".

Wonder Bass

Wonder Bass

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

However, at the same time, I liked that for once we didn't see Sue being all mocking or sarcastic. She took the matter very, very seriously. What I liked best was that she addressed Bieste differently. She usually cracks rude, smart ass jokes about Bieste's eating habits or calls her John Goodman or whatever other burly man names. But in this episode, she looked Bieste straight in the eye and called her Shannon, and that was effective to me.

Except that Sue called Bieste "John Goodman" in this very episode (though it was before she knew about the DV, I think). She also said something -- I'm paraphrasing -- about how Bieste could stay at her place, and if she needed any clothes, Sue had a tent she could use. So even when Sue is sincere, or supposed to be sincere, the writers still can't resist adding snarky comments that are basically emotional abuse.

And while I'm on the subject of Bieste, I was originally thrilled with the character, as I can completely relate to her. I was happy that the show didn't take the obvious route and make her a butch lesbian, but instead showed that some women who look or act "butch" are heterosexual. And Dot-Marie Jones acts the hell out of the part. But it REALLY pisses me off that every joke about her involves her shoving food in her mouth. (Same with Lauren Isces(?) last year.) Just because a character is big or fat, that doesn't mean the only option for humor with her is "wow, she eats like a pig". Bieste isn't even really all that overweight; she's just tall and large-framed. That particular line of "humor" is getting very old.

Lola Me

Lola Me

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

Yeah, Glee goes for the easy fat jokes and this episode was no different. From Sue it can be funny occasionally, but I found it jarring with the plot this episode.

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 8, 2012 @ 4:01 PM.
Added capitals

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

From the recap:

By the way, when Idiot Rachel's Voiceover hits that bit about those worthless balls of ambition-free gas and space dust, Actual Idiot Rachel happened to glance over at Puck just as he tossed a salacious wink at the camera, so I suppose we're now clear as to what she thinks of him after all these years. But before we're allowed to dwell on that bit of possibly-insulting information...

Aw. I held back from commenting on that little moment because I didn't want to keep whining about how Puck is the one person Idiot Rachel seems to hold in low regard (while she drools after everyone else like a pathetic puppy dog), but if even Demian notices enough to comment on it, I feel a bit validated.

Unfortunately, every other question on the exam seems to deal with preindustrial European deforestation, so I'm guessing Puck's going to biff this little test of his just as badly as Idiot Rachel biffed that great big test of her own...Of course, once it's over, Puck lies about how he did to the assembled gentlemen of New Directions...

You're the first person I've seen say they weren't totally shocked by Puck's "F." Did you really think he was lying, or was that just a joke? I didn't get the impression we were supposed to think those were the only two questions he answered, just that he didn't know the third question but probably knew enough of the rest to at least manage to pass, and that he did believe that he passed.

Naturally, this awful, evil show proceeds to take a massive dump all over Rachel's scene of soul-crushing loss by leaping immediately into the ha-ha funnies of Puck's late-night European Geography cram session...

They didn't even have a commercial break for that one, did they? Ugh. The tonal shifts this episode were insane.

Stellar recap, all the way.

Edited by SNeaker, May 8, 2012 @ 10:11 AM.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

The more I think about it (not a good thing LOL) the more it makes sense that Rachel lost it with "Don't rain on my parade". It was her "go to" song, it is her standard and her song "comfort food". With any other song you could rationalize why she lost it, but with this song it makes it clear that it was a flat out choke.

I'm actually looking forward how Rachel rises above this latest adversity and setback. I like that this drama with Rachel is career-centric as opposed to Finchell-centric.

marymonroe

marymonroe

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

didn't want to keep whining about how Puck is the one person Idiot Rachel seems to hold in low regard

I don't think she holds him in low regard at all. Just some of his more questionable behavior.

But since we have had exactly two minimal interactions with each other all season who would know. One being the shoulder squeeze while singing We are Young, she seems to embrace him even though she knows he slept with her mom. Than this little look between them which he in-turned egged on by giving her a wink.

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

Finally had time to watch this episode. I thought that having the adult teacher share her personal life with her students crossed a line. OTOH, Dot-Marie Jones was terrific. I completely bought that this football coach/big woman with low self-esteem was being abused by her husband and was emotionally devastated by it.

I couldn't even watch Rachel's choke because I felt too badly for her. Given the direction of Season 4, I'm sure it will all work out for her.

Puck and the teacher was ridiculous.