14-12: 2012.04.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

142 replies to this topic

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

I have a bad feeling a good dancer is going to be sent home and Melissa and her awkwardness will be around another week. The power of pity/vengeance voting.

I hope this is exactly what happens. This may finally get across to the show how pissed off people are that their votes aren't the deciding factor on who goes home. The lowest vote getter + scores should be the ones going home, not the couple who "wins" the dance duel. It pissed me off enough to get me to vote and I don't generally vote as a rule because I don't really care. Now I care. I also think the judges have been extra mean to Melissa because she's partnered with Maks.

Melissa may look scared at times, but that might be her concentration face. I know that sounds a little weird, but I know from personal experience that when I'm focusing on something and trying to make sense of it I look angry. I generally have a very sunny disposition, so when people see me like that they think they've done something to piss me off.

Please show, if you say it's a "classics week" then make it so. I agree with several others who stated there are enough classical songs in this world that are appropriate for each dance presented last night that they didn't need to go to a "pop song" and have an orchestra play it. Aren't classical songs part of "public domain" now, so anyone can use them without having to pay any kind of royalties to anyone unlike something from Lady GaGa?

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

It's a British idiom that means that same thing as "I'm going to lose my top" or losing control of one's temper suddenly. Katherine would have known what he was talking about.

This is a decent explanation including its (possible) derivation. Cheers.

kazou

kazou

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Re the cutaway during Roshon's dance, I'm pretty sure that was a wardrobe malfunction. East coast feed of the dance did not cut-away so I went back and slo-mo'd it. When Roshon lifts Chelsea above his head it looks like a fairly significant portion of her breast pops out during her arched back. However, it also looks like there's a pasty on it. (No, I wasn't trying to get a thrill, was just curious what happened.)

Mark's theme choice for his rhumba was just bizarre. Roman gladiators? Would have loved to see him do something with a more Dangerous Liaisons vibe -- it could have been incredibly sexy and closer to the time period. Much as Mark gets on my nerves, was happy to see he's put the douche spats away, and he actually made me laugh at the whole "ass" in "classical" thing. Also loved that he and Katherine seemed impressed and thrilled watching Derek and Maria dance. I think it speaks well of someone with Mark's ego that we never see petulance or jealousy over Derek's ability. (And love him or hate him, Derek can choreograph amazingly well.) I cannot believe I just defended Mark Douchebag Ballas.

Heard Maria say in a RCI that she is going to the doctor today for her feet. I'm wondering how much pain killers she's got to be on if they really are that bad? Why does nobody ever mention her boyfriend? Aside from the fact that it would ruin the whole showmance Derek keeps trying to sell. Apparently he doesn't much like the spotlight so he watches the show from her trailer. Anyhoo, their dance was good. But, everytime I watch a Derek-choreographed dance I wonder how much I'm being distracted by the razmataz of Derek's tricks and how much I'm really enjoying his partner's dancing.

I suspect Maria's in some fairly severe pain. Pre dance when Group Tango was chorus kicking, she started faltering, then after the dance I noticed she was slow to rally to the group and just *looked* like she was in pain. I'm not sure that bodes well for their chances but dang, her earlier dance with Derek was amazing. There was a segment when I rolled my eyes a bit because he was over-dancing (while she was sitting on the floor) but it's not something I haven't seen every single pro do on the show to various degrees. The truth is that while I don't love Derek all that much, when his choreography is at its best, I'm completely carried away by it. The 50's Paso from a few years ago was amazing; Psycho?? Who could do a compelling dance to Psycho? Yet he did. And tonight's dance definitely earned a rewind from me. I loved it.

And like with Mark, I cannot believe I'm defending Derek, but I can give him a pass for being a jerk in rehearsal. These guys are all at the breaking point. Maria of week one would have laughed if Derek told her to be like a woman. But she's emotionally drained, battling injury after injury and overtired. Likewise, the pros are getting snippy and over-tired and stressed. Everyone has their ass-hat moments in those circumstances.

Incidentally, I also give Maks somewhat of a pass for the way he talks during rehearsal. That's the way he is and it seems to instill loyalty in his partners, so who am I to question. The only time I think it went too far was with Hope. That was a horrible situation to watch.

Having said that, Maks needs to take some time off. I do NOT give him a pass for being an ass to the judges. And make no mistake, refusing to make eye contact, smiling sarcastically when they say something critical and re-tweeting his fans' negative comments about the judges is being an ass. Look at the way every other pro handles criticism. Kym keeps her calm. Cheryl is a master -- check out her comments when the entire ballroom was booing over Team Paso's scores. She's a pro. She knows to just say "thank you" and so many of these guys then WORK on whatever bug is biting the judges. Yes, the judges are erratic, possibly even fixed. But as Toonces464 said above, Maks didn't seem to mind when Kirstie was the beneficiary of inflated scores. The sense of entitlement that oozes off Maks (and which he's apparently fed to Melissa) is corrosive. He does not get a pass when every other pro has to deal with the same judges and has been the victim of erratic scoring. Maks, I say this as one who thinks you are possibly the sexiest guy out there with a great sense of humor: Pull the big boy pants up and DEAL with it, or find another show. Even your sex appeal cannot make this sort of petulance enjoyable.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

Cheryl knows it's a "show" and not a genuine competition. It has almost no resemblance to a competition, in fact. And I took the rest of my post to the grassy knoll, where I guess it belongs, but I don't think it's a "conspiracy theory" - I think it's cold hard and completely obvious fact, but I'm sure there are those who would say I'm wrong.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

And like with Mark, I cannot believe I'm defending Derek, but I can give him a pass for being a jerk in rehearsal. These guys are all at the breaking point.

But the way Brooke has talked about it makes it seem like more of a general character trait. In her book (I've linked to a sneak peek for anyone who wants to read for themselves) she said that Derek wasn't big on positive reinforcement and that he expected way too much from a beginner. She also blurted out during a filler segment (the one where they had to see a psychologist as some form of couples therapy, lawl) that one of her problems with Derek was that he could get mean. I mean, I doubt that Derek is pulling a Sue Sylvester on his partners or anything, but I don't think she'd go out of her way to say this stuff if that sort of thing were terribly out of character for him. Unless she's just flat-out lying. But lying probably isn't in the Brooke-bot's programming. :P I guess she could have just been a super-sensitive snowflake? She was a new mom at the time.... but Derek does seem a bit tightly wound to me, with flashes of his temper/impatience often poking through.

Edited by tip and fall, May 1, 2012 @ 7:52 PM.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

SaberTail said:

Tristan and Karina: HOT! Best part of the evening for sure. Extra thanks go to the appearance of Tristan's Tongue.

.... and I couldn't agree more!! Very, very nice.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

Having said that, Maks needs to take some time off. I do NOT give him a pass for being an ass to the judges. And make no mistake, refusing to make eye contact, smiling sarcastically when they say something critical and re-tweeting his fans' negative comments about the judges is being an ass. Look at the way every other pro handles criticism. Kym keeps her calm. Cheryl is a master -- check out her comments when the entire ballroom was booing over Team Paso's scores. She's a pro.

I disagree. Maks is showing a ton of restraint. He's letting the judges speak. If he wants to look away, I say that's fine. Carrie Ann certainly isn't showing him any respect, and by keeping quiet he is showing her way more respect than she frankly deserves. Personally, I though Carrie Ann was over the top with her criticisms this week. Others would get a 'this wasn't your best, but I love your spirit' where Melissa gets insults. I think she was baiting Maks. Brooke also baited Maks by asking what he thought about the judges, no doubt looking for some harsh words. He kept his cool even though he was being provoked. They want angry Maks to come to the live show.

As for the other pros, Cheryl has publicly criticized the judges. Chelsie talked back twice during her rumba critique. Anna has also spoken up on numerous occassions (although she keeps getting voted off early and doesn't get many opportunities).

Maks didn't seem to mind when Kirstie was the beneficiary of inflated scores.

Here's my sports analogy, as someone who knows nothing about sports. In football, you only ask for the play to be reviwed when the refs make a bad call against your team. No coach or player is going to challenge a call that benefits there team. Same here. Maks is on Melissa's team and he was on Kiristie's team. He is supposed to point out when something goes against them. It's being a good teammate.

I would also point out that Maks has spoken up for other couples who he thinks have been treated unfairly. Just last week he mentioned Roshon being underscored in his blog. He's also spoken out for several of Tony's partners.

The other pros have similar cmplaints, and they also occur most frequently when the scoring doesn't go their way. Even Cheryl seemed ticked when Levy had one bad score this year. Maks is the one with the reputation for saying whatever he wants, so I guess people are just more attentive when he speaks out.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

Personally, I though Carrie Ann was over the top with her criticisms this week.

I thought she was far too kind with her comments.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

Maks is showing a ton of restraint

Being rude is not showing restraint.

I though Carrie Ann was over the top with her criticisms this week. Others would get a 'this wasn't your best, but I love your spirit' where Melissa gets insults

Because she is not a good dancer. Nothing is going to change that.

JanGator

JanGator

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

Re the cutaway during Roshon's dance, I'm pretty sure that was a wardrobe malfunction. East coast feed of the dance did not cut-away so I went back and slo-mo'd it. When Roshon lifts Chelsea above his head it looks like a fairly significant portion of her breast pops out during her arched back. However, it also looks like there's a pasty on it. (No, I wasn't trying to get a thrill, was just curious what happened.)

I'm on the east coast and it did indeed cut away, so I appreciate the explanation. Thanks!

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

Here's my sports analogy, as someone who knows nothing about sports. In football, you only ask for the play to be reviwed when the refs make a bad call against your team. No coach or player is going to challenge a call that benefits there team. Same here. Maks is on Melissa's team and he was on Kiristie's team. He is supposed to point out when something goes against them.

Sure, you can ask for a specific "play" to be reviewed, but the issue with Maks is that he seems to think the whole thing is unfair in general. He grumbles and bitches about the judges being unfair, blah blah blah. When Chelsie and Anna have spoken up, it's been about specific stuff in support of their partners. Chelsie pointed out that the dance was slow, Anna had the whole "it's Blondie, for god's sake!" moment. But they haven't labored under some sort of persecution complex that the judges are out to get them or are being deliberately unfair *overall*, at least not from what I've seen.

I don't expect a football coach to insist on a review for a call that favors his team, but I sure will roll my eyes if he bitches about unfair calls. I think that most coaches' attitude about it (although tbh I only follow college football) is, "Yeah, it kinda sucks when the call goes against you, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Sometimes you benefit and sometimes you don't."

Edited by tip and fall, May 2, 2012 @ 8:32 AM.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

DotsAndStripes, thanks for your post re: Maks above. Maks' "bad behavior" was a huge talking point last season and still is this season. We saw Derek being a d-bag in footage Monday and there are lots of posts here about his terrible behavior toward his partners (looking forward to Brooke's book!), yet Derek is still loved and revered. As an artist myself, I know that artistic personalities are "different," so to speak. I also realize that artists from eastern Europe have a different mindset than those from the United States. Maks is working on doing what is best for him and his partner and I applaud him for that. If we have to accept Bruno being OTT as a "judge," then why not accept Maks for who he is trying to be this season.

I agree that Melissa's face could be her concentration face. It has to be hard to think about feet, hands, arms, posture, shoulders and then have to add a smile on top of that while dancing live on tv in front of zillions. No pressure there!

I thought Peta looked gorgeous in her gown, one of the best, most flattering costumes ever on this show. Wish Donald's had given him more neck, but he did look sophisticated and handsome as well.

Re the cutaway during Roshon's dance, I'm pretty sure that was a wardrobe malfunction.

Maybe the dance is posted somewhere online. I haven't cared enough to look for it myself. Funny no one anywhere has commented on it, and by that I mean talk shows. They all gave Nancy Grace plenty of air time for her nip slip and even Maria got recognized for boob slippage. Maybe when it's a pro it's not of the same interest.

Edited by SaberTail, May 2, 2012 @ 9:15 AM.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

Sure, you can ask for a specific "play" to be reviewed, but the issue with Maks is that he seems to think the whole thing is unfair in general. He grumbles and bitches about the judges being unfair, blah blah blah. When Chelsie and Anna have spoken up, it's been about specific stuff in support of their partners. Chelsie pointed out that the dance was slow, Anna had the whole "it's Blondie, for god's sake!" moment. But they haven't labored under some sort of persecution complex that the judges are out to get them or are being deliberately unfair *overall*, at least not from what I've seen.

I completely disagree. Maks has made specific criticism too, and others, Cheryl comes to mind, have criticized the ability of the judges more generally. I think most of the pros have criticized the judges generally and specifically. I've also noticed that he hasn't been saying the judges are out to get him personally. He thinks they've been underscoring Melissa most weeks, but he has not said that's because he's being persecuted.

Bottom line, if on a given week Maks says he disagrees with the scores, I believe that's valid. I don't think Kirstie's scores are relevent to how the judges are treating Melissa now. In my opinion, they have been much harder on Melissa than on someone like Maria.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I've also noticed that he hasn't been saying the judges are out to get him personally. He thinks they've been underscoring Melissa most weeks, but he has not said that's because he's being persecuted.

I think that was the clear implication when he made that tweet about how he was sure the judges would send him and Melissa packing if they ended up in the dance duel. The only other explanation for the tweet would be if he thought they didn't stand a chance because Melissa is the weakest dancer by far, but his attitude during the show and his other tweets indicate that that isn't the case.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Bottom line, if on a given week Maks says he disagrees with the scores, I believe that's valid.

He disagrees with the scores every week unless he gets a perfect 30.

I've also noticed that he hasn't been saying the judges are out to get him personally. He thinks they've been underscoring Melissa most weeks, but he has not said that's because he's being persecuted.

He said in his interview after the show last week it was because of the way he does things. That's personal. It's always personal with him.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:43 AM

I think that was the clear implication when he made that tweet about how he was sure the judges would send him and Melissa packing if they ended up in the dance duel.

Yes, he said the judges would send them home if they were in the dance duel. Based on the fact that they've been near the bottom of the leaderboard each week, I don't think that's a paranoid assumption either.

Not everyone is going to like Maks, and that's fine. I enjoy his partnership with Melissa and I look forward to seeing them next week.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

If you want to continue talking about Maks and his attitude (positive or negative) beyond what we saw in this specific episode, please take it to the Maks thread. Thanks.

brooklynbull

brooklynbull

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

Getting DVR has made me a reluctant fan - never watched beforse.

Re: Melissa For me, the poor woman is stressed, insecure and (thus?) (nevertheless, incurably?) clumsy. Why she has not been in the bottom 2 more often is unclear - and yes, Maks lugs her all over the floor.

Re: Maria & Derek Not having seen much of past seasons, I dont hate the kid so much, but he was pretty harsh in the interview excerpts shown. That said - the show is edited to provide contrast - M&D had a strong paso doble, so the editors cut the interview to make us expect the worst. Unexpected good stuff is gold in reality competitions, no?
Also, their music (from Prokofiev's "Romeo & Juliet") was an incredible choice - the only music of the night, I think, specifically written FOR dance.
And yes - she should have taken those teeth out in the post interview - they looked less vampiric, more like Dogpatch
(Lil Aber, kids)

Edited by brooklynbull, May 2, 2012 @ 3:28 PM.

Zelda Gilroy

Zelda Gilroy

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

Someone posted a ways back that William was intended to be another in a long line of "DWTS made me a star"people. Which people have this show made into stars? No sarcasm, I've only watched one season of this show before. Aren't they already supposed to be stars? Just kidding, I do see the cast lists at the start.
I thought Melissa was history. Someone on the Grassy Knoll did point out that all the eliminations this season alternated by gender so it was a man's turn to leave. I've been out paranoia'ed!

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I think it's true that they want William to be a "DWTS breakout star." And the reason, imo, is they want more of the Latino demographic to get interested in the show. It'll be interesting to see if they try to find more Latin stars. There was a big Mexican star they tried to get on the show, and he told them his English wasn't good enough but he recommended William Levy - so they definitely went "fishing" for a Hispanic star to appeal to that 15% or whatever it is of the American population. And I actually think it makes good business sense. It's also a younger group (that would be excited about a young sexy male telenovela star) and they're desperate to make inroads with the 18-49 female group that advertisers prize above all others.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

Which people have this show made into stars?

Gilles Marini (Season 8 runner-up.) Before he did DWTS, he was chiefly known as the guy who got naked in the first Sex and the City movie. Once his run on DWTS ended, he went on to do a very successful run on Brothers and Sisters, and he's currently got a part in Switched at Birth, plus he's had at least one guest appearance on Hot in Cleveland. So I'd say that he's the poster boy for how this show can create a career for an actor or a singer.

Zelda Gilroy

Zelda Gilroy

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

Thank you leagaleagle44. I actually looked Gilles up on wikipedia awhile back because so many here were talking about him. When I read it, the entry ended at Brothers & Sisters. I wondered what he was doing now.
It annoyed me that people seemed to think that just because they both have accents that he and William would and should be the same.
The Hispanic population is the fastest growing and the median age is much younger than the rest. I think they hope to get more younger viewers but I don't think DWTS will appeal to younger Hispanics anymore than it does younger nonHispanics. But I guess it would increase the overall number in the demo if not the percentage of the total audience.
The problem is that Strickly Come Dancing/ DWTS has a franchise show on the Spanish language channel Univsion, called Mira Quien Baila! (Look Who Is Dancing). The people who like this type of show already have their own customized version.
Maybe it's down to some esoteric demo formula I wouldn't understand or maybe the left hand isn't paying attention to what the right hand is doing?

I wonder who the star was? The top male star actor is a Mexican named Fernando Colunga. He's just above William. He doesn't speak much English and he knows William. William's 1st role in the novela big league was as one of the hero (Colunga) loyal gang. Fernando is my favorite. He also doesn't seem interested in crossing over into the English language market. I can't see him seriously considering competing in a dance show. He's more of a serious bulky body builder, too bulky IMHO. I doubt he has the flexibility needed. There's just nothing in it for him.

Edited by Zelda Gilroy, May 3, 2012 @ 1:38 AM.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

This discuss should continue in William's thread since it's not really about this specific episode. Thanks.