14-12: 2012.04.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

142 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

The remaining couples perform.

Xantar

Xantar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Is it just me or did the singer go off time during the beginning of Team Paso's performance? It was really distracting me, and it could explain some of their shakiness. Towards the end I think they still had some synchronization problems, though. I thought Team Tango was sharper and had better choreography overall. Team Paso just just relied too much on the fan service for my taste.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

And I thought Rock night was a travesty. Wow, that was pretty awful, all around. None of the music matched anything, except for the team dances, and I only enjoyed team Paso, though their song was butchered by the singer. And he did it so well for the Pro dancers I think it was season 3 or 4, too, weird.

Team Paso won the team dances for me, but not by much. I think team Tango was full of too many cocky asses and the dance itself was not very interesting or entertaining.

And the perfect score for Derek dancing around Maria, what is new there.

Bad night for me. I was bored and unimpressed by everyone. Katherine and Mark's dance was not a Rhumba, the song had no rhythm to it. No rhythm, no Rhumba. This is her second dance that was not judged correctly based on the music. First her non-Waltz and now her non-Rhumba. And Mark's cape was such an assy looking accessory I have no words. Game of Thrones, more like Game of Throw up, blech.

And Roshon needs to figure out how to not slide all over the damn floor all the time. He has no core, I think, because he collapses in the mid section so much of the time.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Yawn

I hate paso and tango night. And to top it off? We had to watch more in the team dances.

So William could crawl across the dance floor, and get 9's from judges? Bleh. He stinks. He was obviously injured, and for that I'm sorry. It must be painful to dance with that injury. But he's boring. Still doesn't pick up his feet off the floor.

Liked Jaleel and Kym the best tonight.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Maria and Derek were overscored. First perfect 30, are you kidding me? And sorry, but Evan and Anna did a vampire-themed paso better.

I'm starting to feel sorry for William. He so didn't want to take his shirt off. Poor dude was fighting a losing battle.

Canon in D is one of my favorite pieces. I'm afraid that Mark has now tainted it forever for me. DNW to see him shirtless under normal circumstances, but seeing him shirtless while dancing to something as beautiful as Canon and wearing a cape (!) with those tacky tattoos on full display? STFD, Mark.

LMAO, Maks looked pissed during Carrie Ann and Bruno's critiques. You can tell that it's taking every ounce of effort on his part to not act like a petulant child. Give into it, Maks.... you know you want to.....

Re: the team dances - Team Derek won again? Quelle surprise. Team Derek might have had four couples to Team NotDerek's three, but they were also blessed with the tango (and Derek). At least this time Team NotDerek only lost by one point instead of the customary three. That's progress, right?

I'm surprised that Roshon got the pimp spot for the team dance, although it looks like it paid off. And I was completely baffled at Team NotDerek's strategy. Melissa is probably the weakest dancer, so why was she first? Doesn't the weakest normally get sandwiched in the middle? And the judges absolutely LOVE William, so he probably should have been placed in the pimp spot.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Classical night is my favorite theme show. Don't enjoy Jackie Evancho though. Sorry. But Gaga and Downton Abbey--love it! And Karina and Tristan dancing.

Judging too harsh on Melissa and too generous with William. She did have some rough moments and he wasn't bad, but not nearly as good as they painted. Donald's VW was better. Jaleel's was OK, a little awkward, and despite my feelings about his personality, he does partner well.

Katherine despite MB looks like she may be the one to beat--if she has voters. And if she does, if the votes ultimately count.

Derek's choreography can be spectacular. And Maria pretty much kept up with it. Overscored? Perhaps.

For the first time Chelsie did too much--I like Roshon and think he's better than he's been getting credit for, but he was a little gawky and out of his depth and she seemed to dance around him too much. Scoring was generous.

And team paso all the way. Should have been equally scored with tango, at least.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Team Chippendales should have taken a lesson from Tristan tonight on how to be smoking hot without even trying. They could have been naked out there and they still were not going to beat the golden boy Derek in the team dance. No way did Maria's dance deserve all 10s. What a joke.

Cheryl, you danced to a sacred hymn to the Blessed Mother of Jesus Christ. Do you think you could have put the girls away just this once?

Mark Ballas, your douchery knows no limits. For the love of all that is holy, never take your shirt off in the presence of my tv again.

All in all, a blah night. Buh-bye, Melissa.

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Did not get Derek's 30 at all. Her dress was great, but the dance was all kinds of awful. I didn't see precision, just a bunch of stiff jerking. And I thought was talking about tragic Romeo and Juliet, where did that go?

iheartnaps

iheartnaps

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Did anyone else have the broadcast cut to the DWTS logo in the middle of Chelsea and Roshon's dance? Did she fall out of her dress?

JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

So, Katherine and Mark not only had to dance a rumba to Canon in D, it was supposed to be a raunchy rumba to Canon in D? I never thought I'd say this, particularly in a dance that involved him dancing shirtless, but I really appreciated Mark's restraint in that dance.

Peta looked great in the dress she wore for her viennese waltz. Donald, on the other hand, did not. Quite aside from the colors, there's something hunched over and vaguely neckless about his frame in smooth, and the high collar didn't help. She also never should have had him attempt that fleckerl.

I appreciated William's arms in his viennese waltz. Good smooth arms are really very difficult to do, and those were genuinely not bad. His footwork was kind of a mess though, imo. I also appreciated both his apparently getting a bit tired of being treated like a piece of meat in group dance sessions and Donald's willingness to stick up for him.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I know that Melissa and Maks' music was hard, but I think that Maks went about the choreography all wrong. I do think that he could have done a quicker glide across the floor to it & done flicks, changing tempo with the quick tempo changes. The lift-fest just made it look so spastic, and that dress was also really distracting. It kept hitting her in the face, and I was convinced it was gonna get wrapped around Maks' throat. I spent most of the dance worrying about that happening.

Was there really a lot of heel leads in Donald's dance? I wasn't paying close attention, but every time I checked, it didn't look like he was doing them. Having said that, his form looked awesome to me. That's the most HE has ever impressed me. Nice routine too.

Did the camera cut out during Roshon & Chelsie's dance for anyone else? It totally took me out of the dance. So annoying, especially since judging by the crowd, it was when a good lift was happening. I assume that there was a wardrobe malfunction, but big freakin' deal. I hate that everything is so crazy now that you have to miss a big chunk of the dance just because of something silly like that.

Anyway, the beginning seemed kind of awkward to me, but after that I loved it. I loved how elegant Roshon looked, and when he was elongating his leg straight out, he was making the most perfect line. Also loved the quick leg work and tempo change at the end.

I'm generally a fan of Mark's work, but I wish that he choreographed a bit more intimate moments in that Rumba. Katherine had good hip action and rumba walks in certain sections, but I wish that they had lasted longer.

Maria should thank God for Derek's choreography. Welcome back, Wonder Boy! That makes up for that horrid Salsa. Excellent music, staging, presentation, and use of flash. Still wish Maria just totally embodied it, rather than looking at it like a character (which is how it came across to me), but she had some nice lines and didn't look too stiff. Loved the routine.

I don't really remember anything about Will or Jaleel's routines, so that's not good.

Team Tango's routine was so much more intricate than Team Paso, and I wish that was taken into account with the scores, but whatevs. Team Paso had great flair, so I thought that it was good for that reason. Will was a little too rushed in the Paso, and boo at the camera man for doing a close up on him right when he was looking down awkwardly at his cape, trying to get it into position. lol.

Still, I liked his reluctance to take his shirt off in the rehearsal footage. I've always felt that he got a bum deal with all of the "sex on a stick" hate. He's never been the one forcing it on people, and it always seemed obvious to me that he was kind of uncomfortable with it.

Donald again impressed me in his Team Paso solo. He actually looked almost ringerish in it, which for me, is a very good thing.

Also, Rashon killed his solo in the Team Tango, in true ringer style. Thank you, Roshon! Keep the ringers coming, TPTB! Kudos to Chelsie for the choreography for that solo.

I also quite loved Katherine's solo as well.

ETA: All those kudos to Donald are coming from someone who isn't a Donald fan. I hope he keeps going in this direction, though, 'cause I have a real feeling that he may win this whole thing, and I don't want to feel like it's totally undeserved. I still don't find him that impressive, but I am at least seeing flashes.

Edited by QueenL, May 1, 2012 @ 7:13 AM.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Yes, iheartnaps, I saw the same thing. I suspect wardrobe malfunction or camera glitch. Live TV, y'all.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

I thought Maks and Melissa were hosed tonight. Yes, someone has to be at the bottom, and maybe they deserved it, but at least they moved and danced, whereas Mark and Katherine just posed, slithered a little, and then posed again.

Some of their lifts - Carrie Ann noticed those just fine - were labored, but Maks' foot was injured and she'd practiced with Val, not Maks. She should have stayed with Val.

I liked Jaleel and Kim. That's about it.

MusicaDolce

MusicaDolce

Loyal Viewer

Katherine and Mark's rumba was really off-putting to me - I just don't think that music was right for a rumba at all. I don't mind these theme nights in theory, but they're so poorly executed each time - don't force the teams to perform dances that are super awkward with the theme; give them dances that complement it.

I never really know how well Melissa dances, because I'm always distracted by her facial expression - complete terror, every single time. I know it must be nerve-wracking, but she's an actress - can't she at least pretend not to be completely terrified out there?

Ripley68

Ripley68

Fanatic

I don't get the William love. Donald is a way better dancer. William is kind of floppy and has no frame. I thought Melissa did better than him tonight also. That violinist at the beginning killed it! I'm starting to like Peta. Maks sure was biting his tongue, poor Maks. For the first time, neither of the team dances thrilled me.

Arabella

Arabella

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

The highlight of the night for me:

Len: [paraphrasing] I'm not quite in Vienna, but I'm in Austria!

Cheryl: That's close, right?

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I wait in vain for the season when the team dances aren't stacked against Team NotDerek... IIRC. Having 4 couples isn't really a handicap when they're assigned a dance like the tango. I really don't understand why TPTB are bringing back the worst elements of Season 9 back this season. It feels like quantity over quality all over again.

Poor Donald. He's working so hard for earn the first perfect 30 and Team Daria flash some fake fangs prest-o.

Actually, it seemed like quite a few of the couples choreographed dances that were quite light on content for their celebs. I suppose it made sense given they have the team dance and the potential dance duel to rehearse for this week.

The only good thing about tonight was that it seems the judges are ready for Jaleel to leave. And it was nice to see Tristan and Karina dancing again.

I'm surprised that Roshon got the pimp spot for the team dance, although it looks like it paid off. And I was completely baffled at Team NotDerek's strategy. Melissa is probably the weakest dancer, so why was she first? Doesn't the weakest normally get sandwiched in the middle? And the judges absolutely LOVE William, so he probably should have been placed in the pimp spot.

MTE. It was very bizarre, but it mostly worked for them.

Did Chelsie have a wardrobe malfunction?

Thadeeeyus

Thadeeeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Not a good night for Melissa. She always looks like she's a kid running to catch up to her partner and it was still obvious tonight. She was bad in the paso. I had planned in advance not to like Team Tango, but I enjoyed it too much.

In the regular dances Maria was way overscored and Roshon was underscored. Again.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Well the undeserved perfect score for the Golden Boy has struck. I liked Katherine's dance much better than Maria's.

Melissa really was the weakest tonight IMO. She should be the one to go, even though I wish it would be Maria.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

I'm starting to feel sorry for William. He so didn't want to take his shirt off. Poor dude was fighting a losing battle.

I have a new respect for William wanting to win based on the dancing, not taking his shirt off. Kudos to him for that.

SSPB

SSPB

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Are you KIDDING me that they played "Bad Romance" on CLASSICAL night?? What the heck??

Thought the little girl singer was unbelievable!

Loved the lady cello player who was so OVER IT! "Is THIS what my career has come to?"

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music--Mandolin
    History
    Vegetarian Cuisine

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Maria says that all of Derrick's past partners were dancers? That's truly the most truly truthful thing ever said on the show.

I'm calling BS on the music in Roshon's dance. Lady Gaga played by an orchestra is not classical, and it has a lot of rhythmic elements when played by strings. But to top it all off, they added a drum beat to it. Unfair advantage.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

It took me almost all of the dance to figure it out, but what was the name of the song Roshon and Chelsie danced to? It sounded exactly like the instrumental/classical version of Bad Romance.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Maria saying "Derek had partners that were dancers" and "sorry I'm not attractive enough for you" was...ouch. The former because she is pretty much stating one major gripe some of us have with him and the latter because I would kill to her body and hair. I admit I laughed she chest bumped him but 30? For that? Eh...28 at best.

Team Paso should have won but they lost synch at the end and the singers being off count at the start didn't help matters.

If I had to pick...Melissa is consistent in an ok way, meaning she's a goner.

nospin

nospin

Couch Potato

Jeez... This classical night was a travesty. As well as the Motown night. I want them to dance tango to the tango music...
- For me team paso was better than team tango. Not sure why.
- I loved Derek's paso - he is truly an awesome choreographer. Perhaps his paso was slightly overscored, but he and Maria were the best dancers tonight - so why not 30.
- William is overrated.
- Melissa and Maks should be going home tomorrow. Maks was pissed at the judges for their unflattering comments, but it looks like he is in control and is not going to let it out this season.
- Love Mark and Katherine - what a lovely woman!
- Great singers tonight.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

~My Dancing with the Stars 14 Week 7 Review~

Preface- A lot of the songs didn’t match the dances tonight and overall I enjoyed Season 12’s Classical night better. Tonight also saw the first perfect 30 and only the 2nd time the first Team dance won over the one that closed the show.

1. Katherine & Mark (Rumba) 27/30: I wish they had a better song but it was still a gorgeous number. Her technique is really un matched this season and she created some really breathtaking shapes. I really liked the chemistry between her and Mark and the dance really flowed well, not any step of hesitation. I loved it. I got annoyed at the “more raunchy” comment by Bruno. Not all Rumbas need to be sex on the floor. I think, while not a 30, this deserved at least one or two 10’s. My score: 29/30

2. Melissa & Maks (Argentine Tango) 21/30: It wasn’t terrible, but it seemed like Maks was either throwing her to the next spot or lifting her. Way too many lifts and not all pulled off effortlessly. I agreed with the judges. I commend how far she’s come but she’s the weakest one left, but bravo for making it to Week 7. My score: 22/30

3. William & Cheryl (Viennese Waltz) 27/30:
It was nice but was it super memorable? Not really. It was good, but nothing really made me go wow. I thought his upper body seemed a bit stiff in some sections but it wasn’t bad. It just didn’t leave a huge impact for me. My score: 25/30

4. Roshon & Chelsie (Argentine Tango) 25/30:
Orchestra version of Bad Romance? Not bad. His technique was good in general, but I agreed with the judges on this one. He needed more power and tension in his legs. I didn’t really feel too much tension or passion from him either. He looked a bit uncomfortable with the feeling of the dance. The 5 second cut away in the middle was odd, but I looked at Chelsie and noticed her nipple pasty was showing. But, overall it was good, but not great. If he survives this week, I think he could fall victim to next week’s double elimination. My score: 24/30

5. Donald & Peta (Viennese Waltz) 27/30: I know he wants his 10 so bad, but I was a bit scared tonight he’d get it whether he deserved it or not. The dance was nice, but albeit not perfect. The fleckel was messy and he seemed to concentrate too much in parts, but it was good. My score: 26/30

6. Maria & Derek (Paso Doble) 30/30:
Well, it was incredible. I wrote her off as one of the 2 double eliminations next week, but I think she’s got her semi-finals ticket if she keeps this up. It was definitely worthy of a 30. It was her best dance and so dramatic and well choreographed. The only thing I got miffed about was that she got a 30 before Katherine did, but that’s just because I prefer Katherine slightly more. My score: 30/30

7. Jaleel & Kym (Viennese Waltz) 24/30: Jaleel once again continued the “good, but not really memorable” Viennese Waltzes. He seemed to be trying to hard in parts and his arms needed to be worked on. He was kind of throwing them around in parts. I don’t think he was 1005 committed to this. My score: 24/30

Team Dances

1. Team Tango (Katherine, Maria, Roshon, Jaleel) 27/30: Absolutely incredible! First of all, great costumes and amazing song. The opening sequence was innovative and totally in sync. The solos were all great, everyone kept to a really high standard in their solos and they were all different. Maria, more traditional Tango, Jaleel, good technique, Katherine, Argentinean influences, Roshon- great final trick and the final sequence in formation was amazing and just stunning. One of my favorite ever team dances. My score: 29/30

2. Team Paso (William, Melissa, Donald) 26/30: Personally, I’m glad the judges didn’t go overboard with the shirtlessness. I thought it was a bit of a cop out. Team Tango didn’t need gimmicks, they just danced well. Melissa was good, but not great. William was good, but not amazing, Donald was too intense. Paso means aggression and power, not “I’m gonna come over there and strangle you.” I’m glad the judges didn’t go overboard in general. My score: 26/30

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Classical week was a major success. I thought most of the dances were really good. With the exception of Melissa and Maks. It may have been a mistake not letting Val sub for Maks this week.

Best quote of the night...
Mark "You gotta have some ass to spell classical". Keeping it classy.

I didn't see Katherine squeeze Mark's butt cheeks in the performance. I guess he just couldn't get through that icy English reserve? There's always a little emotional distance around Katherine. I've never seen her really cut loose on any dance. It hurt them this week to. Bruno and Carrie Ann mentioned the lack of heat in the dance.

Bottom 2? Melissa for sure. Maybe Jaleel too? People must be noticing all his deliberate boob grabs. He must think Aussies use them for handles or something. Kim finally said something during the rehearsal footage. It can't be much fun getting felt up several hours a day.

I liked Team Tango better this year. Team Paso had very good theatrics. The flaming torches, twirling capes, and floor slides. But, I didn't see much real Paso content.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:37 PM.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

When they do one of these special nights with theme music, there are always some pairs who get an unfair advantage. IMO, it would be much easier to do a V. Waltz to classical music than a Rumba. If I recall correctly, three of them had the V. Waltz. Then Roshon got a modern pop song played as an instrumental. What was that about? It should not surprise me after all these years, but why put a contestant at a disadvantage because they have improper music? It has happened to Katherine twice this season.

alaspata

alaspata

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Did anyone see the tweet that was supposedly by Kirstie Alley, that came right after Team Paso dance? Something about having 350,000 phones because she's in jail? What was that about and if it were fake why would they show that?

SSPB

SSPB

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

Oh, yeah, and shirtless Mark? Not impressed. Blech.