Promos, Previews, Sneak Peeks, and a Chorus of Speculation

• Please log in to reply

1045 replies to this topic

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:31 PM

I hate Blaine, but why shouldn't he take advantage of the opportunities presented to him? I don't want Blaine to sacrifice those for Kurt just as I wouldn't want Kurt to sacrifice opportunities for Blaine.

zostar59

zostar59

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:38 PM

I hate

Blaine, but why shouldn't he take advantage of the opportunities presented to him? I don't want Blaine to sacrifice those for Kurt just as I wouldn't want Kurt to sacrifice opportunities for Blaine.

I agree that it's not Blaine's fault if the Shirley McClain character prefers him, (happens in group auditions all the time ) though I question why Glee writers (apparently)  have to again compare Kurt to Blaine specifically to find him wanting..   They could have had Blaine go alone  on an audition and catch her eye but by involving Kurt they can pretend Blaine is "conflicted" and bring on  drama in Klaine. 

It's the usual contrived Glee bullshit.

coxfire

coxfire

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:40 PM

I don't want either, it just the way they go at it. There was no need to bring Kurt in the middle, unless for creating DRAMA between them again

Why couldn't he just get the opportunity because he provoked it on his own, this time?

HanaChan

HanaChan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:55 PM

Why couldn't he just get the opportunity because he provoked it on his own, this time?

Because Kurt is the only one who's going to have any kind of storyline that has at least a toe dipped in the realism pool where you actually have to sweat blood sometimes to catch the smallest break.

I'm going to agree that if they wanted to pair up Darren and SM for a storyline (since Lea and Chris both had big name guests involved in their stories), I'd have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is it always coming downt to Kurt vs Blaine with Kurt losing out. Always too gay, too strange, not talented enough in comparison with his oh so perfect dapper fiance.

FulgenceNald

FulgenceNald

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 6:43 AM

Now I will believe until my dying day that he was being very underhanded with how he went about his audition, using a Tony song to show how perfect he would be for the part, but he didn't openly go for it. He could do the "aw shucks" bit and play that he didn't mean to get the part but he had to choice when they asked him to read for it and Kurt let it slide. This time, there is no way that Blaine can accept without consciously making the choice that he is going to take something and it will be at Kurt's expense.

We do not have the final script of that episode so we do not know how this plotline will play out and how this opportunity comes about exactly; summaries have been misleading before or were missing some crucial details. Besides, these are mere fictional characters whose motivations and actions are devised by writers; if the show tells us what Blaine's reasons were back in the days of WSS or what they are right now with this new guest character, I will therefore take that for what it is. This show is not written with layers and deliberate psychological ambiguity as far as motives for its imaginary characters.

I think that this plot, on top of being ripe for much enjoyment considering the guest actress involved, could be quite interesting if it is written with the more adult approach the NYC setting offers the writers (and more episode time to deal with it thanks to the smaller core cast). The characters are more mature, but still with one foot in teenhood, so the stakes facing them and how they handle them should follow suit. The fiancés are planning to pursue careers in the same field. In real life such a couple would almost inevitably come into competition at some point during their professional lives; perhaps not vying for the exact same role, arts grant or whatever, but for different parts in the same production or movie and only one of them getting in. Or one could go through a dry patch for a time while the other keeps getting regular work, with the situation reversing itself after a time. That is the nature of the business. They will be faced with professional choices that impact on their partner, and they would have to learn how to balance their own career opportunities with the other one's interests, without always expecting the other one to sacrifice himself and pass on an opportunity when it places them in competition.

It could be a good storyline to have them learn how to deal with it or at least realise they will have to face such harsh facts of life, so that they are better prepared at the moment it really counts, i.e. once they are both in the marketplace. It does not even have to create an extended confict between the two guys, especially if they are written as dealing with it maturely; the writers have shown there is potential for the characters acting as such.

Edited by FulgenceNald, Apr 11, 2014 @ 6:47 AM.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 10:52 AM

I don't mind the Rachel storyline MUCH, only because I think it's going to skip ahead a few weeks so hopefully Rachel will have been doing the show (starting with auditioning and getting the role) for almost a year now. What I have a problem with is the fact that a Hollywood exec is coming to her and presenting her with another opportunity. Rachel, who has dedicated her life to Broadway and has not even mentioned anything about going to Hollywood to become an actress of the sort. If it had been another Broadway exec, then sure I could deal with it. But the fact that they had to mention Hollywood is what doesn't fit at all. She may be 'bored' with performing the same show over and over but that's exactly what she signed up for. Hopefully it's just complaining but not actually doing anything rash like dropping out of her contract to consider moving to LA.

As for the Blaine storyline.... it just infuriates me that they have to drag Kurt into this. If Blaine found his own way into this Shirley plotline, then whatever. But the fact that Kurt drags him into it (well, he might not be dragging...) and puts his own career on the line to have his fiance sing with him to impress her, only to have her fall for Blaine instead...it's unfair to Kurt. It might be good for Blaine and yay for him getting his own famous fangirl in New York, but it still sucks that it will obviously cause drama. I wouldn't blame Kurt for being a bit peeved, but hopefully they talk it out together and they both decide together that Blaine should go for it. I know, Blaine has no obligation to ask for Kurt's permission, but seeing as Kurt introduces them, it's only fair he talks to Kurt before he accepts whatever offer she has for him. 

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:36 AM

The only hurdle that I can see is a self-inflicted one (since the universe won't allow her to chip a fingernail on her way to the top) if she is still bound by her contract to Funny Girl and considers breaking it in order to take advantage of these new opportunities (that of course are there for her and no one else). I don't care how great she was in FG - any actress who breaks her contract for no good reason will find herself blackballed. Quitting the show would destroy her theater career just as it is getting started. But that's the real world and Rachel Berry doesn't live int he real world.

This follows on Carmen's concerns earlier - Rachel can't just use people/shows/schools as stepping stones and then bail when something better comes along. If she wants real long-term success, she needs to build communities and networks and honor commitments.

Edited by CoyoteBlue, Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:36 AM.

truthaboutluv

truthaboutluv

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:50 AM

The Kurt/Blaine storyline is so contrived, it's just laughable. Hey, what do you know, Glee has made me laugh in oh forever. Granted it's unintentional but still (although come to think of it I did laugh during the whole bashing melodrama last week). So Kurt who just a few weeks ago felt so claustrophobic and stifled by his needy, psycho fiance that said fiance had to move out so they could live separately, suddenly cannot bear taking a professional opportunity without said fiance coming along too. It's like they're not even trying anymore. I mean it's been obvious for a long time but damn it's like just hitting new levels of shitastic writing. 

And of course this is all to have Blaine be the one liked so we can have a rehash of the West Side Story and Student Government Election story and we can see Kurt put on his brave face and rise above. Like I just...I can't anymore. I know it may be sacrilegious to say but I almost miss the high school nonsense and Sue because at least that was reminiscent of an actual comedy. I don't even know what to call this current mess. The show has little to no humor and all the characters are a mixture of unpleasant or just boring and/or annoying. This is why I was never gung-ho about all NY because older characters or not, supposedly better actors or not, I knew it would likely still be the same lazy, shitty writing. Imo, no amount of acting talent can save the dreck that RIB and company are shelling out with this show. 

camussie

camussie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 8:55 PM

So looking at the preview for next week I think the order is this:

• Rachel's pre-show meltdown  and her pulling it together
  • Her opening night
  • The amazing reviews come in (there is a scene of her looking at a newspaper while everyone looks over her shoulder
  • Then a club outing to celebrate her success

Given all of that happening I am guessing what we see of "Funny Girl" is a montage of scenes while Rachel sings "I am the Greatest Star" which fits with her steeling herself to give a spectacular performance.  

I wonder what reason they will give Rachel for having a pre-show meltdown.  On one hand I think it would make sense for her to be feeling out of sorts because she always thought Finn would be there to cheer her big Broadway debut on.  On the other hand I would think that is the first thing Kurt would have thought of so the fact that he seems stymied makes me believe that isn't it.  Maybe she is freaked she will choke like she did for her NYADA audition

Edited by camussie, Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:04 PM.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 9:41 AM

The 5x19 is extended summary is out, but I can't post it because I'm on my phone. From that and all of their plots lately, I'm getting strong marriage vibes from Sam/Mercedes. I wonder if Ryan is going to give Kurt/Blaine the Finn/Rachel story line, and Sam/Mercedes will get the young married couple struggles.

spiritof76

spiritof76

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 10:25 AM

The 5x19 is extended summary is out, but I can't post it because I'm on my phone. From that and all of their plots lately, I'm getting strong marriage vibes from Sam/Mercedes. I wonder if Ryan is going to give Kurt/Blaine the Finn/Rachel story line, and Sam/Mercedes will get the young married couple struggles. 

That's exactly my thought. Ryan and company don't do subtle so if it is being mentioned it is for a reason. The only way that I MIGHT be ok with it, is if it is next season when they do the time jump. At least then everyone will be out of their teens and it is a little more palatable to have young 20 somethings get married than teenagers. Ryan has been ichting to marry someone off.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 17, 2014 @ 10:52 PM.
Formatting glitch

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 10:35 AM

Honestly, I think young marriage could be an interesting story line. That doesn't mean it would be the right decision for Sam and Mercedes, but the plot possibilities would be intriguing.

spiritof76

spiritof76

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 10:53 AM

Honestly, I think young marriage could be an interesting story line. That doesn't mean it would be the right decision for Sam and Mercedes, but the plot possibilities would be intriguing.

I agree there is a lot of story that could be told there. For Sam and Mercedes they would kind of have some of the issues Finn and Rachel would have had, in that Mercedes is more focused and sure of her career path and future and Sam is not at the moment. I do think they have portrayed Mercedes as being pretty mature and  grounded, not to mention pretty traditional (nothing wrong with that) so I could see her having what it takes to get married young. (And I don't think she is the kind of person who would rush a marriage just so she could have sex. She seemed pretty thoughtful and comfortable with her choice. Sam on the other hand I could see doing just that.) The wild card is Sam because as much as I do like their relationship he has always been shown as being immature. Granted they write him differently with Mercedes than they did when he was with Brittany but still.

Anyway, I guess I'd have to see what they do, but from first glance I am not adamantly opposed to the idea.

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 06:47 AM

Where is the 5x19 is extended summary?

HanaChan

HanaChan

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 07:12 AM

Well after seeing the promo stills for ep 18 (The Backup Plan), I'm convinced that the subtitle of the episode should be "Kick Kurt in the ass again and then run him over with the bus while he's down". Rationally I know that he's not doing at all badly. In actuality, he's doing better than 99% of the young people aspiring to a performing arts career by not just being admitted into one of hte most competative schools possible, but excelling there. He's proving himself as an artistic performer. And missing out in one opportunity (in this case, not getting the support of this rich benefactor) doesn't in any way mean that his career is doomed to failure.

The problem is that I find it very frustrating to accept his very real storyline (that sometimes becoming successful is hard even when you are exceptionally talented) when it gets compaired to the Magical Adventures of Special Snowflake Rachel and the Walking Grease Stain, neither of which face any kind of real adversity on their way to the top. Rachel gets a lead in a professional show, becomes a big star and gets multiple professional opportunities to choose from. Blaine wins the help of the benefactor that Kurt was wooing to help him in his career. And we also have Mercedes (2 record deals right out of high school). It would be nearly impossible for anyone to feel secure about their prospects when you feel like you have to measure up to the outlandish accomplishments of this group. If the writers would give some clue that Kurt is on his way towards a successful career, I wouldn't grouse so much, but it's starting to look like a rehash of season 3, where they set up the senario of Kurt maturing and growing as a performer and getting absolutely nothing in the end for all his effort.

Edited by HanaChan, Yesterday, 07:14 AM.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 09:40 AM

Not to diminish the obstacles Kurt keeps running into, but he did get a prestigious internship at a leading fashion magazine.  Complete with mentor who would gladly have helped him become a designer, if he hadn't wanted to go into performance instead.  He also put together a band that played their second gig at one of the best clubs in Brooklyn.  True, he had to trim it down to a trio, but the last we heard, the band seemed to be popular and thriving.  (Of course, we'll probably hear in passing that it's broken up.)

But you're right that the others don't seem to seem the troubles Kurt has.  They have their own troubles.  Rachel has to struggle in order to keep her success from turning her into such a diva that she alienates everyone around her.  It's lost her friends (Santana), a place in Kurt's band, a home (temporarily), and her place at NYADA.  It may soon cost her her job.  True, she'll probably get a better job, but she might find herself very lonely next season if she moves to another city and the people who like her enough to put up with her stay put.

Blaine has to deal with his own demons.  As we saw this week, those demons can cause him to sabotage himself.  Had he continued to eat his feelings, he wouldn't be attracting rich society ladies to sponsor him in his career.  Just at a guess, I think he's going to struggling with feelings of guilt in this next episode.  After all, this isn't some arbitrary Sue decision that he can make better with a song and a video for Brown University.  It's something that's going to make Kurt pretty darn upset.  And we know Blaine doesn't take that lightly.

caracasd1914

caracasd1914

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Don't forget Santana may also ;get a record deal (as well as previously having snagged the understudy role of a Broadway role).

I wouldn't grouse so much, but it's starting to look like a rehash of season 3, where they set up the senario of Kurt maturing and growing as a performer and getting absolutely nothing in the end for all his effort.

Eh , it's not succeeding on so much a grand scale that I want for Kurt, but that if he's going to be just a good student at NYADA than SHOW an episode where he's succeeding there in a student production, or having a nice modest sucess with his band in performance.  Instead we'll probably  get a whole episode of Shirley MClaine as an octogenarian version of Tina kissing Blaine's ass 24/7.

Not to diminish the obstacles Kurt keeps running into, but he did get a prestigious internship at a leading fashion magazine.

For a split second it looked like the show might explore Kurt excelling in another field, however that was soon shot down and since performing seems to be where Kurt's true passion is, I really don't see what the point of the one episode Vogue success was.    Probably just to throw him a bone since he had lost throughout the previous season to a ridiculous level.

Edited by caracasd1914, Yesterday, 11:03 AM.

deelyn

deelyn

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Meredith: 

Where is the 5x19 is extended summary?

Here you go:

Written by CHRIS COLFER
Directed by BRADLEY BUECKER
EXTENDED SUMMARY:

Rachel’s duplicitous actions come back to haunt her as news that she missed a performance of Funny Girl in order to audition for a TV pilot – and lied to producers about it – begins to hit the press. In order to prevent a wave of bad publicity that could sully her fresh image, Rachel enlists Santana’s help in rebranding herself. Deciding she needs to champion a worthwhile cause, she and the girls organize an all-female musical gala to benefit a local dog shelter (aptly titled “Broadway Bitches”), but Rachel soon realizes there is a marked difference between simply looking like a good person, and actually being one.

Kurt – who has been starting to feel inadequate in the wake of everyone else’s recent successes and finding himself excluded from the all-girl performance – befriends former Broadway star Maggie Banks, who is currently living in a senior-citizens home for retired performers. When he is given the chance to join the elderly cast in their production of Peter Pan, he seizes the opportunity, and tries to make a positive difference in the lives of Maggie, her friends, and her family. Meanwhile, the smitten Sam is eager to prove to Mercedes that he’s a responsible and dependable adult worthy of being considered husband (and father) material. To prove his point, he adopts a dog, but when “McConaughey” proceeds to destroy the apartment (and Mercedes’ expensive hair extensions), Sam must teach the dog some obedience or admit failure.

Source

truthaboutluv

truthaboutluv

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 11:37 AM

It's interesting that the show had that whole argument with Kurt and Blaine this past episode where Blaine flat out stated that it is a competition between them of sorts, only to have them supposedly have a "resolution" where Kurt states that no, they're running the race together, blah, blah. Because as with everything with those two lately, what the writers have the characters say completely contradicts what's actually shown. Because if anything, they seem to be determined to show that everything has to be a competition between Kurt and Blaine. 

And as I noted, it's like they're  not even trying anymore (which okay, should have been obvious to me like two seasons ago but still) because isn't this what we saw with West Side Story? The summary is vague and none of the later episode spoilers indicate any great success on Blaine's part through this woman so I just feel like the only purpose this mess will serve is to have yet ANOTHER dramatic fight/argument between Kurt and Blaine where I can watch the utter resentment and bitterness practically drip off both for the other. What fun...

That being said, no matter how much meta the show throws with regards to Blaine always winning, I still don't buy Blaine as the male version of Rachel. Yeah some old lady likes him over Kurt so we can get another storyline of Kurt the fighter, the underdog, etc. But that comes on the heels of seeing his life at NYADA which apparently included getting fat and sucking at all his physical classes. Aside from Kurt's Vogue internship, didn't Kurt also beat Rachel at that big competition at NYADA and this past episode certainly suggested that he's doing well for himself in his classes and in his classmates' eyes. I cannot see Blaine getting the attention of some socialite as some big win while Kurt constantly loses. Like I said, this just seems like a need to create more drama in that relationship as it continues it's slow ride to eventual death  (at least that's where I think the season is going). 

And again, I know it should have been obvious that the show stopped trying like two seasons ago but still,  this whole Kurt feeling inadequate thing, isn't this what we saw earlier this season and what prompted his creating that band in the first place? Which for the record - does it still exist, are they on hiatus, did Elliot go tour with Queen, what? And I'm well aware this is Chris Colfer writing that episode but I'm sure he was inspired to write "Kurt the underdog" for his episode seeing as it comes after another contrived Kurt vs. Blaine scenario where Blaine wins. So it's back to that well of stories even though less than two episodes before they were telling us that Kurt is so much more mature, stronger, has so much more belief in himself, etc. etc.

It's like WTF is it? Is Kurt the guy who has found himself and his abilities and belief in himself after standing on his own for a year in NY or still the guy who gets kicked down and everything is so hard for? Is Blaine the guy who got to the bigger city, no longer a big fish in a small pond and is struggling to find his footing or is he apparently the guy who gets things without trying even though two episodes before he could barely get through a class? Like make up your damn minds instead of shifting shit every single episode for contrived bullshit drama. Or in fact, here's a better concept - how about make your damn characters grow instead of sticking in the same contrived ruts to serve a plot for one episode.

Edited by truthaboutluv, Yesterday, 11:41 AM.

caracasd1914

caracasd1914

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 12:26 PM

Blaine saying  they are in a competition and Kurt saying maybe they are because they are two guys elicits an eye roll from me because most of the time it's the women in Glee who can't get out of competition mode with each other.

However  again the spoiler implies a cop out, apparently Kurt brings Blaine along on his audition piece (dumb move Kurt, don't you watch this show) and in all likelihood Blaine won't attempt to deliberately steal his opportunity but the 80 year old Tina will gush about him, just so that Klaine can have dramatic "conflict".

If there's one thing worse than needy Blaine, it's oblivious "aw shucks, not being humblebrag, but  this just drops in my lap" Blaine. 

Edited by caracasd1914, Yesterday, 12:27 PM.

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Here you go:

Gratitude :)

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 01:16 PM

Not to diminish the obstacles Kurt keeps running into, but he did get a prestigious internship at a leading fashion magazine.

For a split second it looked like the show might explore Kurt excelling in another field, however that was soon shot down and since performing seems to be where Kurt's true passion is, I really don't see what the point of the one episode Vogue success was.    Probably just to throw him a bone since he had lost throughout the previous season to a ridiculous level.

I don't know why that ball just got dropped.  He didn't just get the internship, he was having a lot of success.  He came up with ideas when everyone else was stressing out.  His thievery (on Rachel's behalf) turned into a video that gave Isobelle her first bit of praise from her boss.  Even when he was worried about how little time he putting into the job, Isobelle turned out to be fine with that.  For once things were falling Kurt's lap, in an area he obviously enjoys -- even if it's not as much as he enjoys performing.  There was no struggle, no worry about being too effeminate, just solid appreciation for Kurt's skills and ideas. 

Maybe Kurt just likes doing things the hard way.  

Sara2009

Sara2009

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 01:43 PM

What Ryan is doing to Kurt/Blaine is bizarre. They're obviously endgame, so why is he making them so mismatched? I wish he'd have the cajones to split them up for good. To me, that would be a much more powerful narrative than making them soulmates like all the other teen couples.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Maybe they aren't endgame.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 03:58 PM

I don't know why that ball just got dropped. 

Sarah Jessica Parker left the show. It was apparent that the whole Kurt-at-Vogue storyline was simply an excuse to showcase her. Same with the band - just an excuse to have Adam Lambert and Demi Lovato perform. Colfer seems to get a few of these shoehorned-in storylines, possibly because it's felt that he's a strong enough actor to play against someone experienced (Lambert I think has some stage acting experience?). 

And with a season still to go, if they were just happy together I guess there wouldn't be much suspense in wondering if they'll end up together. But shows always have this problem and sometimes they get the balance wrong so you end up hating the pair together (like how How I Met Your Mother screwed up and by the end made Ted/Robin appear so toxic that many didn't even realise they were supposed to be the 'fated' couple). That could, maybe has, happened here. 

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker left the show.  It was apparent that the whole Kurt-at-Vogue storyline was simply an excuse to showcase her. Same with the band - just an excuse to have Adam Lambert and Demi Lovato perform. Colfer seems to get a few of these shoehorned-in storylines, possibly because it's felt that he's a strong enough actor to play against someone experienced (Lambert I think has some stage acting experience?). 

I don't know about that.  I remember either Chris Colfer or Ryan Murphy talking about both storylines before either Sarah Jessica Parker or Adam Lambert and Demi Lovato were cast.  As far as Lambert's concerned, he's had a lot of stage experience, but freely admitted his television acting experience was minimal.  However, I think it's probably harder to play against someone with less experience than with more.