8-19: "The C-Word" 2012.04.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

Comsimplex

Comsimplex

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

Rachel Eggleston, the child, was one of the most natural and expressive actresses I've seen in years. Most kids are either cloying or stiff. How old is she really?

HyacinthBucket

HyacinthBucket

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:16 AM

The scene of House and Wilson limping to the bathroom together and Wilson saying "wow, this is how you feel all the time? really sucks to be you" and House going "At least I don't have cancer" was my favourite moment of the entire season so far. And that ending montage killed me.

This was the scene that made me rediscover my love for Dr. House. I have disliked him for several years, but the House-Wilson scenes in this episode were magical. Doris Egan would be proud of the writers. I'm very glad that Cuddy wasn't around to spoil these scenes for me. In recent years, the writers appeared to force her scenes in order to give her more screen time. I never saw Cuddy as part of some "Holy Trinity," as I've heard them called in certain places, and her departure freed up the time to make these golden House-Wilson scenes happen. (In my opinion, of course.)

Chase got the diagnosis in typical House fashion. I wonder if this is foreshadowing the future of the Diagnostics Department.

Edited by HyacinthBucket, May 3, 2012 @ 6:21 AM.

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

This episode was a huge, huge reward for putting up with lots of less than stellar stuff this season and last. I get the show for free, so I don't hold anything against them, but it was nice to enjoy the core relationship of the show for the first time in a long, long, time.

With Cuddy gone I had hoped for an episode or three like last night's. I wish I had a friendship like House and Wilson's. I am such a Wilson.

Even my wife who hates this show laughed at the closing montage. I loved House's anticipatory smile as he and Wilson parted ways in the hospital. It was a true gift givers smile.

BronnT

BronnT

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Best episode this season, hands down. It's almost like they mailed in every single episode to focus all their writing on the last four episodes...which was a stupid waste. It's as much about they did NOT do, as much as what the did, that made this one work.

1) They found a way to make us care about the POTW. Making the other characters actaully carry their diagnostic weight raised the tension in that plot, since they didn't have the crutch of falling back on House inexplicably getting it right. They didn't have the answer come as the result of some stupid batman epiphany, either-they had to keep up the differential up until the last moment.

2) They did NOT have any of their characters behave like a caricature of a human being. That's one of my big pet peeves this season-Taub is comical, and Park is supposed to be weird, but they write it in a way that's completely boring and predictable even when it doesn't make sense. No stupid drama about who wants to and is or is not sleeping with whomever, and rehashing over their boring personal dramas which have been stretched beyond ability.

3) Great House/Wilson scenes, and they cut down on the shenanigans that seemed to serve as filler for too many episodes. The ending montage was awesome, and it filled exactly the amount of "Houshenanigans" that belong in any single episode. Those two were just acting their asses off.

I've loved RSL since Dead Poet's Society. He hasn't had much opportunity to really stretch his acting wings for a long time, which is such a shame. I'm glad he got to go out on such a high note. And an Emmy for this show is long past due, for RSL and HL.

Did it weird anyone out, a little, that there's the suggestion that Wilson is contemplating suicide? He's said he refuses to die alone in a hospital, in pain. It was flat out said he'd rather die quickly than slowly. I'm not sure if they were intentionally playing on that baggage, but I was definitely aware of it. It's weird when you have an actor who committed suicide in a well-known role seeming to head back in that same direction.

I did love that line from Wilson, "At least I'd feel like I deserved it." They didn't dwell on that point, because it's ground that they've already covered, but it really does explain House. House does feel like he deserves a lot of the crap that's happened to him, which is part of why he does things to ensure he stays miserable. They went there when he kicked Stacy out of his life, they went there when Amber died, and a few other times. There was a look on House's face, though, when Wilson said it, that resonated in a, "Yeah, I know exactly what you mean," sort of way. I actually don't have a problem with driving home the same points again, if you can do it subtly and effectively like that. It was almost necessary to remind us, since they've screwed with his characterization so much over the past two seasons.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

In recent years, the writers appeared to force her scenes in order to give her more screen time. I never saw Cuddy as part of some "Holy Trinity," as I've heard them called in certain places, and her departure freed up the time to make these golden House-Wilson scenes happen. (In my opinion, of course.)

I don't think this episode would have been possible in seasons five through seven, when the writers were so infatuated with Cuddy. House/Wilson scenes are pretty scarce in those years.

House took at least two or three days off work to be with Wilson, and Foreman understood and didn't create any "drama". He didn't turn Wilson's medical crisis into an opportunity to showcase his own compassion. He didn't give him any grief about choosing Wilson over his patients, or try to bribe him, or tell him that Wilson's problems were his own and House should let him deal with them instead of getting involved. Foreman didn't bombard him with phone calls every time his team suffered a setback. Decidedly un-Cuddy like behaviour.

rollingstone

rollingstone

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

This is probably a ridiculous detail. I've had nothing but complaints about the abuse of the continuity fairy since somewhere in season six. But, when Wilson was lying there on House's couch and I saw the Flying V hanging on the wall in back of him, my heart did a little dance, despite all the other drama going on.

Edited by rollingstone, May 7, 2012 @ 10:10 PM.

LottaMoxie

LottaMoxie

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

This episode did something to me that no other episode of House has done before. It literally had me in tears. I was sobbing for what Wilson was going to experience... the 9th circle of Hell just to try to live. And with House helping him and then trying to get him to go to the hospital when he was so, so sick.

Well, I lost it.