8-19: "The C-Word" 2012.04.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

From Zap2it:

When the team treats a 6-year-old with multiple health issues, they must collaborate with her mother (Jessica Collins), who is also a doctor; Wilson and House go on vacation.

Topic will open 4/30 at 10:00pm EDT.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Phew. For a minute there I was sure Wilson was gonna die on the toilet.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Did I mishear, or did Wilson in his "deathbed" mutterings at one point call House "Greg"? We don't hear that too often! I can't explain why, but it always tickles me.

mcjen

mcjen

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

That actually didn't suck too much. And, while I didn't follow the medicine of the patient-of-the-week's case, I did, for the first time in long time, actually care about the patient and the her parents.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Those were some very unethical hookers that House dug up. Or at the very least, extremely strange. I think most prostitutes would walk into a Weekend with Bernie situation and be like, "Too far."

The montage did make me laugh though.

artsygal

artsygal

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Phew. For a minute there I was sure Wilson was gonna die on the toilet.

LOL! My thoughts exactly!

Overall, didn't suck half as much as the rest of this last season. Montage made me laugh, too!

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

It was better than I expected. Both plotlines had some dramatic and emotional weight. Loved the montage at the end.

Locke081

Locke081

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

Loved it; the end was fantastic! I agree about the patient of the week, although it's starting to seem like antibiotics are the new lupus diagnosis. (Antibiotics, or ibuprofin.) Really, the House/Wilson scenes were off-the-charts. Too bad Wilson has to get this sick to get some great scenes like that.

Edited by Locke081, May 1, 2012 @ 12:04 AM.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:24 AM

Those were some very unethical hookers that House dug up. Or at the very least, extremely strange. I think most prostitutes would walk into a Weekend with Bernie situation and be like, "Too far."

I'm thinking that House probably photoshopped the hookers; they weren't really there.

I liked that Chase took charge and came up with the diagnosing, reinforcing my opinion that he is the most "Housian" and should have been chosen instead of Taub as leader of the team. Chase is also really good with children and doesn't condescend or lie to them.

Wilson apologized for insulting House while he was semi-delirious, but he never thanked him, just as he never thanked him for risking his own life to save Amber.

mcjen

mcjen

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:05 AM

I took Wilson's attempted speech about "I appreciate the risk you're taking" as a thank you, of sorts.

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

I was interested in both the case and the personal lives this week. It's been a long time since I could say that, so I was happy.

RSL and HL acted their behinds off in this episode....

drevna

drevna

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:07 AM

I loved this episode, but this is the second time in a two weeks that the main patient problems could have been solved with doing a routine heart sonar based on the symptoms. Now I don't know the procedures in the US but the child would have gotten a routine heart sonar in the hospital I am working at here in South Africa after the fainting, problems breathing and Raynaud's phenomenon (blueness of the skin especially fingers). An atrial myxoma is one of the easier things to diagnose in echocardiography (large mass growing out of the inter atrial septum and sometimes big enough to occlude ventricular filling to a degree).

But hey it was better that the case last week where the patient had a Patent Ductus Arteriousus, where just using a stethoscope would have indicated that there was something wrong with the heart or close to it. A PDA have a holodiastolic and holosystolic heart murmur, so just by doing a routine examination which includes auscultation (listening to the internal sounds of the body usually using a stethoscope), the patient would have been referred to echocardiography for a heart sonar. Some people do not have good echocardiographic images, but that is usually adults. A small child you can use a transducer with less penetration and thus much better image resolution so missing a PDA on a child where it is one of the things you routinely look for is very difficult.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:34 AM

Okay, I can't deny it -- I loved this. It finally proved, once and for all, the kind of friend House can be when it really matters. He did everything that someone in Wilson's situation needs: (1)insisting on being there even when Wilson was pushing him away; (2)supporting Wilson's choice of treatment, even when he thought it was the foolish, dangerous choice; (3)physical care, to the point of dealing with vomit and adult diapers; (4)selflessness, to the point of not taking his own meds to make sure there were enough for Wilson; and, maybe most importantly, (5)doing something to make Wilson laugh. The song over House's montage of photos for Wilson (photoshopped, I'm sure), was perfect -- "Any way you want it, that's the way you need it." House is willing to do whatever Wilson wants, whatever Wilson needs, because, as House told him, "I owe you." I shudder to think what it will do to House if Wilson dies, but it's great to see him so completely and lovingly pass the best friend test.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

I know it was unethical, but I couldn't stop laughing at the montage at the end. I thought it was a good episode, but I still don't know what genetic problem the child had.

I also liked Chase-in-charge. Wondering if they're setting up a Houseless PPH for the finale.

I noticed too that Hugh Laurie directed the episode. I loved how they had the close ups during their drinking binge. Totally made them look wasted.

Helena Dax

Helena Dax

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

I think this is one of the best episodes this season. The scenes between House and Wilson were great and the montage made me laugh a lot. But the most important moment in that plot is when House doesn't take his pills and gives them to Wilson. That and risking his life to try to save Amber have been his most selfless moment in the whole show imo and I love that both of them have to do with Wilson. Besides, I love when you can see why Wilson is still his friend.

I liked that Chase solved the case, too. And it was interesting watching them dealing with the patient's mum. I think it was well written.

representin512

representin512

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

The last 30 seconds of this episode were hands down the best of the season. I miss Seasons 1-3 House!

I also loved them playing Battleship on pizza boxes. Reminiscent of their pre-Amber relationship.

Wilson cannot die. No one else comes close to the right personality mix to be his friend, let alone his best friend, let alone the perfect match for him. Plus, that kind of love doesn't come along twice in a lifetime. I did laugh at all the meta hoyay comments from House.

I've loved RSL since Dead Poet's Society. He hasn't had much opportunity to really stretch his acting wings for a long time, which is such a shame. I'm glad he got to go out on such a high note. And an Emmy for this show is long past due, for RSL and HL.

Hugh Laurie, I will miss you!! Please, please don't stop acting after this, as I've heard rumored. That would be a travesty.

If Rowan Atkinson and/or Stephen Fry do not show up for the finale, it will be a terribly missed opportunity!! Throw us a bone here, Powers That Be!!

Drapers4thWife

Drapers4thWife

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

The notion of doing high-dose chemo in someone's apartment is ridiculous, but I was willing to allow it because it gave us House and Wilson one-on-one. Wow, RSL really did knock it out of the park. I think he's cried in every role he's ever done and I can see why - the way he cries is unlike I've seen in a lot of other actors. When RSL cries in a role (as he did in this episode) I feel like it's genuine pain.

Hugh Laurie had the less showy role but he was equally great, I thought. The scene where Wilson cries and begs not to be taken to the hospital, that House promised "win or lose," and House's voice breaks when he says, "That's when there was an or, but you can't win this," really got to me.

Laekaen

Laekaen

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

The scene where Wilson cries and begs not to be taken to the hospital, that House promised "win or lose," and House's voice breaks when he says, "That's when there was an or, but you can't win this," really got to me.

This.

That little break in House's voice to me was the culmination of 8 years of this friendship. I didn't need any huge declarations or gestures to get the picture of what this friendship means to both men, just a voice break.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

That little break in House's voice to me was the culmination of 8 years of this friendship. I didn't need any huge declarations or gestures to get the picture of what this friendship means to both men, just a voice break.

They've been friends longer than 8 years.

alrunya

alrunya

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

The scene of House and Wilson limping to the bathroom together and Wilson saying "wow, this is how you feel all the time? really sucks to be you" and House going "At least I don't have cancer" was my favourite moment of the entire season so far. And that ending montage killed me. The last time I laughed at House this much was when House played that prank with the dead Hooker on Taub and Kal Penn.

Bookface

Bookface

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

Was anyone else kind of hoping the patient of the week would just die so the focus could be entirely on House & Wilson? No offence to the kid (though much offence to her boring, poorly-acted parents) but it's really hard to care about her when we're getting some of the best House/Wilson interaction in perhaps years.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Was anyone else kind of hoping the patient of the week would just die so the focus could be entirely on House & Wilson?

I think the producers went all out and I hired the cutest, sweetest little girl they could find, just so the audience wouldn't groan in unison every time the scene cut away from House and Wilson.

I liked when Wilson complained about how manipulative House is, because Wilson is every bit as manipulative as House. Almost made me smile, even though the scene was so intense and painful. Wilson deludes himself, and thinks he's sneaky because House makes him so and if he'd never met House, he'd be this simple, straight-forward guy. Not so.

I was also thinking about all the people at sick_Wilson on LJ, and how they've been waiting for this episode for so long and that their patience is finally, triumphantly rewarded. (Probably too late for most of them though; I suspect many tuned out during the lean Huddy years.)

Javert

Javert

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

Wow, where has this House been all season? Kudos to the writers for crafting a well-balanced plot regarding the patient of the week and the House-Wilson scenes. I really don't care about medical accuracy, but I liked the debate between the mom and the dad on what matters most, taking care of the person you love (the doctor mom) or enjoying the time that you have left with them (the dad), and how it was juxtaposed with House's dilemma regarding Wilson's treatment.

And House's line about Wilson being gay for him ("Everyone has been guessing that for years", a wink to the show's dedicated audience) and the ending slideshow were genuinuely funny.

SonnenblumeGirl

SonnenblumeGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

Loved, loved, LOVED the episode. Both the POW and the personal stuff. Gotta say that hasn't happened in a LONG time!

As many have already written, House and Wilson one-on-one scenes were all great. I know I shouldn't have, but when Wilson screamed that he should've been more like House and House quietly responded, "you'd still have cancer," I chuckled a little bit. And, of course, the ending made me LOL.

The only thing that kept bothering me was the mother/doctor. I knew I'd seen her before, but I couldn't put my finger on where exactly it was. I then went to IMDB and found a completely different actress listed as the mother/doctor. It turns out it was another actress of the same name. I remember her from a VERY short-lived series that I used to enjoy very much (I'll bet I was one of the 50 that did) -- Rubicon! (Yeah, she sounded whiny on that show as well, although I still liked her.)

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I know I shouldn't have, but when Wilson screamed that he should've been more like House and House quietly responded, "you'd still have cancer," I chuckled a little bit.

That moment said a lot, I think, because Wilson responded with something like "But at least I would've felt like I deserved it." My thought right then was that the typical House response to Wilson after hearing that would've been something like, "So you think I deserved all the crappy physical things that have happened to me?" But he didn't say that. He didn't say anything, and that was another indication of how great a friend he was being to Wilson throughout this ordeal.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

This episode shows the House I fell in love with all those years ago. Welcome back old friend, hope you stay until the bitter end.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

That moment said a lot, I think, because Wilson responded with something like "But at least I would've felt like I deserved it."

Yes, that line was Wilson at his nastiest, without any filters. He was basically saying that House was a manipulative, self-absorbed narcissist who deserved to get cancer, and House didn't get angry or snap back.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, May 2, 2012 @ 8:41 PM.
manners

DrSparkles

DrSparkles

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

OK, WTH is "AT"??

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

OK, WTH is "AT"??

It's a genetic disease called Ataxia telangiectasia. You can google it if you want to know more.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, May 2, 2012 @ 8:44 PM.

Unspoiled

Unspoiled

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

I'm so pleased, and I'm with everyone on this, it was amazing. I was truly worried that somehow this could be a mess, as this show has let me down so much these past two seasons with the way it's treated its characters' relationships . This friendship between these guys is unlike any other, and all the character beats were satisfying. Who else but these two would try such a frightening treatment in House's living room? (Not the first time really dark things have happened in House's pad--I'd be kinda scared to live there!) Loved when House said the line about the wet tee-shirt contest, when he questioned Wilson's motives, when he didn't show he was hurt by the lashing out at the end. Really they'd be so lonely without each other.
I kept wondering who that actress was too, then I remembered she played a serial killer with dark hair on CSI.